EVGA

Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 47
2015/07/01 07:49:26 (permalink)

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

46 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/01 08:08:19 (permalink)
    That will be a hassle. I really wanted to do  a fresh/ clean install.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4641
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/01 08:08:40 (permalink)
    You can only do it after the upgrade process, I believe.

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8327
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/01 08:16:57 (permalink)

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

LJennings
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 535
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/01 13:04:50 (permalink)
    It will only be a pain the first time. After that it will be a lot easier.
    If I remember correctly, your options after the first time will be:
    Download and burn an ISO
    Create a bootable USB
    Go into the Control Panel and do a reinstall like Windows 8 has.

I just want a more up to date version to download each time I want to install. I reformatted a laptop with Windows 7 HP 64 bit with SP1 and I still had to install updates for 2 days.

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/02 00:58:52 (permalink)

Clear as mud.
    • So.. you have to upgrade from W7/W8 to W10 first with W7/W8 still installed if you want W10 free.
    • Once you've done that, you can then download a (I presume) iso file and burn it to make a bootable USB/Disc, and then wipe your drive and install fresh using the bootable USB/Disc. At least that's how I read it. Does that mean you can do so repeatedly on the same system / with a new HD? Not a clue.
    • If you change some types of hardware, apparently that makes your bootable USB/Disc useless, so you have to buy W10 new if you want a fresh install. No detailed specifics on what hardware changes trigger this, and what hardware changes do not. Also does not address that if you do make a major hardware change, can you install W7/W8 again and then upgrade to W10 again like you did originally? Probably not. Typically ambiguous and vague from MS.
    There must be some identifiable information stored somewhere so that when you do a fresh install using the bootable media, it knows it is the same computer. Anyone know exactly how it knows? Is MS storing identifying information for every working o/s out there? Would that create privacy issues? How does that work?

I just don't trust these bastards.

copy pasted:

Q: Can I clean install (i.e. boot from media and install) Windows 10 on my Windows 7 or Windows 8.x device and still take advantage of the free upgrade offer?
    A: No. Clean installs of Windows 10 on a Windows 7 or Windows 8.x device via booting from media are not considered “upgrades”, so the free upgrade offer will not apply. For your Windows 10 installation to be considered an upgrade, you must start installation of Windows 10 while booted in Windows 7 or Windows 8.x
    If you attempt to clean install Windows 10 on a device that hasn’t taken advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 online before, you will be prompted to enter a Windows 10 product key to continue installing Windows 10. 

We understand that you may have some questions regarding what to do if you have to reinstall Windows 10 at some point after you take advantage of the free upgrade.  Here are some basic questions and answers regarding the free upgrade offer:

Q: After doing a free upgrade to Windows 10, how do I clean install Windows 10 subsequently?
    A: Once your device upgrades to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and activates online automatically, you will be able to clean install (i.e. boot from media and install Windows 10) the same edition of Windows 10 that you upgraded to on the same device during and after the free upgrade offer. You will not be required to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior down-level version of Windows. 

To enable clean installation of Windows 10 on devices that upgraded and activated online using the free upgrade offer
    1. You will be able to download and create installation media on a USB drive or DVD for the appropriate Windows 10 Edition 
    2. You will be able to skip entering the product key during Windows 10 Setup. Windows 10 will activate online automatically on such devices. The skip option is only available when booting from media and launching setup
    The automatic online activation will occur seamlessly after clean installing Windows 10 if the device had previously upgraded and activated online the same Edition of Windows 10. No product keys are required.

Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?
    A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1).   The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation. My read: basically, if you update your computer hardware, you have to pay for W10.
    post edited by Nereus - 2015/07/02 01:22:03

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4641
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/02 04:32:52 (permalink)
    In the past Windows has tied itself to the mobo's chipset. If you have to rma the board and replace with same, that's been okay also. Any other hardware has been okay to replace. In some cases you just have to call MS, but often it just works.  
    I think they are trying to keep things as they were, but this type of mass release is all so new, that hiccups are likely to happen.

richj44
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2251
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/02 05:03:21 (permalink)
    They're saying you have to reactivate your license, not buy a new one. Just like with every previous version of Windows when you change hardware. What's not clear about that? You call and get a new key, you enter it, and off you go.

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
    LJennings
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 535
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/02 05:26:47 (permalink)
    Nereus
    • So.. you have to upgrade from W7/W8 to W10 first with W7/W8 still installed if you want W10 free.

Correct.

Nereus
    • Once you've done that, you can then download a (I presume) iso file and burn it to make a bootable USB/Disc, and then wipe your drive and install fresh using the bootable USB/Disc. At least that's how I read it. Does that mean you can do so repeatedly on the same system / with a new HD? Not a clue.

Correct and yes. You may have to use the phone activation just like you do occasionally. I've only experienced it once on a laptop that had a dead hard drive about a month ago. New HD will be fine.

Nereus
    • If you change some types of hardware, apparently that makes your bootable USB/Disc useless, so you have to buy W10 new if you want a fresh install. No detailed specifics on what hardware changes trigger this, and what hardware changes do not. Also does not address that if you do make a major hardware change, can you install W7/W8 again and then upgrade to W10 again like you did originally? Probably not. Typically ambiguous and vague from MS.
    There must be some identifiable information stored somewhere so that when you do a fresh install using the bootable media, it knows it is the same computer. Anyone know exactly how it knows? Is MS storing identifying information for every working o/s out there? Would that create privacy issues? How does that work?

You will have to buy Windows 10 for specific hardware changes. The USB/Disc will not be useless, just your product key will be. At least you won't have to run to the store and purchase a new one. You can install it and purchase a new license key from the MS (or another stores) website.
    From what I have heard, it will do a hardware scan after installation and tie it together with your new product key into the app store.
    New HD's, RAM, DVD/Blu-Ray ROM's, and PSU's will not fall under major hardware changes. CPU is in the grey area (but should not be considered a hardware change). Motherboard (and CPU) is out of the question.

Then again, I could be wrong. This is what I have gathered from listening to various podcasts and reading various blogs. I've been trying to follow this close.
    I really want W10, but WMC for OTA recording is what's holding me up the most. I might purchase a refurbished PC for $100-150 and leave it on W7, or wait to see what the Xbox One can do. Too many things up in the air for DVR for me to commit to W10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10_1-win_upgrade
    Second pinned thread from previous link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 12:30:17 (permalink)
    I have retail licenses that are not machine locked like OEM ones

I can also say that Microsoft will allow clean installs, I assume they will let users provide a suitable key check for valid retail users

I am on the test team

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102241
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 12:53:38 (permalink)
    As previously posted this is the answer:

Q: After doing a free upgrade to Windows 10, how do I clean install Windows 10 subsequently?
    A: Once your device upgrades to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and activates online automatically, you will be able to clean install (i.e. boot from media and install Windows 10) the same edition of Windows 10 that you upgraded to on the same device during and after the free upgrade offer. You will not be required to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior down-level version of Windows. 

To enable clean installation of Windows 10 on devices that upgraded and activated online using the free upgrade offer
    1. You will be able to download and create installation media on a USB drive or DVD for the appropriate Windows 10 Edition 
    2. You will be able to skip entering the product key during Windows 10 Setup. Windows 10 will activate online automatically on such devices. The skip option is only available when booting from media and launching setup
    The automatic online activation will occur seamlessly after clean installing Windows 10 if the device had previously upgraded and activated online the same Edition of Windows 10. No product keys are required.

So that means you must upgrade at least one time and make sure you're activated. Once done then you should be able to do clean installs after that.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 12:57:15 (permalink)
    If you are a windows insider tester then this applies:

Windows Insiders will be able to perform clean install of any testing build of Windows 10 after RTM is released - just like in the current Insider process.
    The RTM version that Insiders will receive will be just like that provided to everyone else expect it will have a time bomb in it that will expire the build unless you install a new Insider build.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 13:00:59 (permalink)
    If you are using your Microsoft account, it will know that you are licensed, I have been doing that as I own lots of machines and I have licenses for all of them
    I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when windows was good for the life of the device

I have an old Acer T320 desktop with a Celeron 335, machine has 1.5GB of RAM and a 2.8GHz CPU
    Its so old it has a floppy and the hard disk has racked up almost 50,000 power on hours

machine still works, but it's not much good for gaming but it will run a browser fine

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 13:07:22 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    As previously posted this is the answer:

So that means you must upgrade at least one time and make sure you're activated. Once done then you should be able to do clean installs after that.

Gabe tweeted that everyone can do a clean install about 3 weeks ago, this in response my inquiries as many were unclear

https://hardcore-games.azurewebsites.net/wp/win/10.php

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/06 13:07:33 (permalink)
    I"d rather just buy a copy and do a clean install; this sounds like a pain.

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/07 06:44:34 (permalink)
    Better to download copyrighted code from Microsoft websites.

Please don't mention torrent downloads as torrents don't have the manufacturers permission to distribute the copyrighted material. 

That torrent post has been deleted

vitanksi
    • Total Posts : 43
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/21 11:38:13 (permalink)
    I have a Steve Balmer "autographed" copy of 7 ultimate.  I've been using it from the day 7 launched and have had several hardware changes since then.  Installed on my x58 board, upgraded to x99, then went back to x58 after that system went kaput.  Had to call in each time to microsoft to reactivate.  Even when I upgraded to SSD, windows detected that as different hardware and I had to call in to reactivate.  I think i'll wait for the dust to settle before I accept that free upgrade offer.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/21 11:53:48 (permalink)
    I could have used a free upgrade from Windows Vista. I had nothing but problems with it and jumped on using the Windows 7 RC which worked perfectly. After the trial period ran out on 7 RC I literally blew a gasket when they told me I had to pay full price for a copy of Windows 7 three months after I paid over $1000 for a Dell with Vista.
    WgregB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/21 16:14:31 (permalink)
    This is from a Microsoft moderator regarding doing a clean install on a new SSD.

You can, but you must first upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, activate, create a recovery drive, then you can use that to reinstall Windows 10 on the new SSD.
    Its a two step process.
    Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media

Sounds like one extra step but you can do a clean install.

ASRock P67 Extreme6 - i5-2500k
    G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 -16GB
    OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 4, Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003
     Hitachi GST Deskstar 2 TB - Storage
    2-GTX 460 SLI 
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    AzN-SoLjA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7982
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/21 18:56:14 (permalink)
    Is it possible to keep it as a dual boot? On different drives?

| EVGA Z68 FTW | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Custom EK Water Loop | Red Harbinger Cross Desk
    | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.24v | Corsair 16GB Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD | Corsair AX850 | Lamptron FC5V3 | ASUS VE278 27" |
    | Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 & X-Fi Fatal1ty 7.1 Champ | Razer Marauder & Spectre & Tiamat 7.1 | Affiliate Code: 3MHCIBME48 | Associate Code: 08HWLPJXE0O5MPM

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/22 10:45:02 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA

Only if you purchase a copy of Win10 with it's own license can you have two active OS's for dual booting .  Otherwise, when you "upgrade" from 7 or 8.1, that license will now be your license for Win10.  The version of Windows you used for the upgrade will no longer have a license.

That's my understanding of it...

WgregB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/25 06:02:30 (permalink)
    bdary
    AzN-SoLjA

Only if you purchase a copy of Win10 with it's own license can you have two active OS's for dual booting .  Otherwise, when you "upgrade" from 7 or 8.1, that license will now be your license for Win10.  The version of Windows you used for the upgrade will no longer have a license.

From what I understand you have 30 days to decide. After that there is no going back.

ASRock P67 Extreme6 - i5-2500k
    G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 -16GB
    OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 4, Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003
     Hitachi GST Deskstar 2 TB - Storage
    2-GTX 460 SLI 
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/25 11:46:01 (permalink)
    WgregB
    bdary
    AzN-SoLjA

From what I understand you have 30 days to decide. After that there is no going back.

LOL no way - they do not kill the W7/W8 license you already have, at least this is the first time I have heard anything like that, and that can't be legal - you have paid for and own that W7/W8 license so they can't just kill it.

When you first want to install W10, you HAVE to upgrade from your existing W7/W8 installation (unless you want to buy a stand-alone W10 separately). Once you have upgraded to W10, you can then create an .iso file to burn to a CD, and use that to install W10 fresh again on an empty drive on that same system. I would think at that point you could then also install W7/W8 for a dual boot system, but no earlier.. HOWEVER,  what may be happening here is that, as BDary said, when you do the free upgrade, W10 piggybacks on your W7/W8 licence, so that in the same way that you can't have the same W7/W8 installation running on 2 computers at the same time now, maybe their system wont allow W7/W8 to work at the same time as a W10 installation that is linked to that W7/W8 license... in which case you'd need to buy a separate W10 license in order to have dual boot.

If MS are telling people that once they go to W10 they can't go back unless they buy another new copy of W7/W8 when you've already paid for one.. hell no, they'd be sued to oblivion. I'm guessing what will happen is that if you wanted to reinstall your old W7/W8 license, the W10 installation linked to that old W7/W8 license won't work anymore (or won't be validated).

post edited by Nereus - 2015/07/25 12:02:17

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/25 12:56:42 (permalink)
    Nereus
    WgregB
    bdary
    AzN-SoLjA

LOL no way - they do not kill the W7/W8 license you already have, at least this is the first time I have heard anything like that, and that can't be legal - you have paid for and own that W7/W8 license so they can't just kill it.

When you first want to install W10, you HAVE to upgrade from your existing W7/W8 installation (unless you want to buy a stand-alone W10 separately). Once you have upgraded to W10, you can then create an .iso file to burn to a CD, and use that to install W10 fresh again on an empty drive on that same system. I would think at that point you could then also install W7/W8 for a dual boot system, but no earlier.. HOWEVER,  what may be happening here is that, as BDary said, when you do the free upgrade, W10 piggybacks on your W7/W8 licence, so that in the same way that you can't have the same W7/W8 installation running on 2 computers at the same time now, maybe their system wont allow W7/W8 to work at the same time as a W10 installation that is linked to that W7/W8 license... in which case you'd need to buy a separate W10 license in order to have dual boot.

If MS are telling people that once they go to W10 they can't go back unless they buy another new copy of W7/W8 when you've already paid for one.. hell no, they'd be sued to oblivion. I'm guessing what will happen is that if you wanted to reinstall your old W7/W8 license, the W10 installation linked to that old W7/W8 license won't work anymore (or won't be validated).

You can read the downgrade rights here:

http://www.zdnet.com/arti...ndows-10-no-surprises/

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/25 13:47:23 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Nereus
    WgregB
    bdary
    AzN-SoLjA

You can read the downgrade rights here:

http://www.zdnet.com/arti...ndows-10-no-surprises/

Thanks, although that's only the notable changes. Not really anything to it though, but that link puts to bed the false claim that you can't downgrade after 30 days.

Really don't like this though: "Windows 10 delivers automatic updates, with no option to selectively delay or reject individual updates."
    More specifically, "Windows 10 Home won't be able to opt out from the automatic update, but Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have more update control." [link] Would be helpful if they still had an 'optional' classification for Windows Updates, so things like NVidia drivers could sit in there. I ONLY want the basic NVidia driver and physx, I don't want HD Audio, 3D drivers, and I don't want the GeForce experience. In fact I'm strongly considering cancelling my free update to W10 for this forced update reason.

Doesn't address whether you can still use W7/W8 installation on another computer (or dual boot on same computer) at the same time as running W10 after you've upgraded to W10 though. *edit* see next post...

post edited by Nereus - 2015/07/25 21:37:12

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/25 13:48:34 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA

FOUND THE ANSWER:  [link]

Can I dual boot the free upgrade of Windows 10 with my previous version of the operating system?

No. Upgrading to Windows 10 doesn't free up your previous license, so you cannot install your previous version on another machine or in a dual-boot configuration. The upgrade requires installing Windows 10 on top of a valid version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation to continue with the upgrade process.

Can I roll back to Windows 7 or Windows 8 after upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes. You can roll back to the previous version of the operating system from the recovery partition or by using the recovery media that came with your system. Alternatively, Microsoft will offer the "Go back to the previous version of Windows" option in the Recovery settings. The setting will only be available when the system was upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

So BDary had it right - with the free upgrade to W10, the W10 license piggybacks to your old W7/W8 license, so you can't install your old W7/W8 license elsewhere (or dual boot), unless you uninstall W10 first. The only way around this is to buy a stand-alone version of the W10 installation separately.

post edited by Nereus - 2015/07/25 14:00:17

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/26 07:26:24 (permalink)
    Nereus
    AzN-SoLjA

FOUND THE ANSWER:  [link]

Can I dual boot the free upgrade of Windows 10 with my previous version of the operating system?

No. Upgrading to Windows 10 doesn't free up your previous license, so you cannot install your previous version on another machine or in a dual-boot configuration. The upgrade requires installing Windows 10 on top of a valid version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation to continue with the upgrade process.

Can I roll back to Windows 7 or Windows 8 after upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes. You can roll back to the previous version of the operating system from the recovery partition or by using the recovery media that came with your system. Alternatively, Microsoft will offer the "Go back to the previous version of Windows" option in the Recovery settings. The setting will only be available when the system was upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

So BDary had it right - with the free upgrade to W10, the W10 license piggybacks to your old W7/W8 license, so you can't install your old W7/W8 license elsewhere (or dual boot), unless you uninstall W10 first. The only way around this is to buy a stand-alone version of the W10 installation separately.

That is one reason I wouldn't go the "Free" upgrade (or downgrade depending on your POV) route.  If and when I decide to go to Win10, I'll buy the license.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/26 07:43:56 (permalink)
    Microsoft's policy is one PC, one license, one OS. It's a free upgrade of an existing licensed OS not a free gift.
    notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 810
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/26 17:22:01 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Microsoft's policy is one PC, one license, one OS. It's a free upgrade of an existing licensed OS not a free gift.

yes   that is true  but the fact is  most of us  i assume are running a legitimate Windows  OS   we paid and bought so this free upgrade to windows 10 is Free  and it tided from my understanding to yout Microsoft account so    if you change somthing big and reinstall you are still activated  and if liek currently  your activation  some how gets De-active you just call microsoft like always to help with that   
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade is NOT a clean install... 2015/07/26 22:05:19 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    Zuhl3156

yes   that is true  but the fact is  most of us  i assume are running a legitimate Windows  OS   we paid and bought so this free upgrade to windows 10 is Free  and it tided from my understanding to yout Microsoft account so    if you change somthing big and reinstall you are still activated  and if liek currently  your activation  some how gets De-active you just call microsoft like always to help with that   

Do you work for MS or something? I see you posting on multiple threads appearing to defend MS without actually addressing the issues people have with it. We hear over and over how it's a 'free' upgrade, but that's totally a matter of perspective. it stops you using a W7/W8 version you paid for, so it's more of a swap.. "Here we'll give you this, and in return we'll take away what you already have." That's not free. Free means it's costs you nothing. This costs you the use of your existing PAID FOR o/s. Plus, they get to shove anything they want down your throat via Windows Updates. This isn't even an equal trade when you take that into consideration, lol.

Yeah.. no thanks, you can take your 'free' and rotate on it.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile