EVGA

Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's?

Author
Jc
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 356
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/02/17 21:30:21 (permalink)
I want to buy an SSD, but I'm afraid that my x58 is too old to match with the newest SSD in the market such as Samsung 850 PRO and Corsair Neutron XT.

My motherboard is the EVGA X58 4-WAY SLI Classified and I'm running it on Window 7 64 Bit

The SSD I want to buy: 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233743

Thank You!
post edited by KJS - 2015/02/18 22:03:30

12 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/17 22:03:17 (permalink)
    KJS
    I want to buy an SSD, but I'm afraid that my x58 is too old to match with the newest SSD in the market such as Samsung 850 PRO and Corsair Neutron XT.

My motherboard is the EVGA X58 4-WAY SLI Classified

The SSD I want to buy: 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233743

Thank You!

No. Why would you think you'd see a decrease in performance? Running as a single drive, SATA II mode, you should see somewhere around 250MB/sec throughput versus about 150MB/sec for a mechanical drive. Your drive read access time will go from several milliseconds to fractions of a millisecond. It will work just fine as I'm running a Crucial M4 500GB as a boot drive on my EVGA E758 board.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/17 23:13:25 (permalink)
    You will see improvements over HDD 100%.
    I remember when I had first 32GB SSD SATA II on SATA II controller difference was big compare to HDD.
    Off course your SATA III SSD will stay and for upgrade one day. 240GB is now best option.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Poisonerka
    • Total Posts : 64
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/18 06:42:10 (permalink)
    SSDs are so much faster than HDDs that even if there was a performance increase, it would be irrelevant.  After switching from my AMD setup with all SATA III ports back to this X58 system with SATA II ports, I have not noticed any decline in performance.  If you ask for my honest opinion, there is no real world difference between SATA II and SATA III unless you do a significant amount of DATA streaming, etc.  My games on the SSD load just as fast they did before hand. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/18 08:03:53 (permalink)
    SSD will be much faster; seat of pants you will see the speed, best speed increase for any PC with more than 4GB of RAM.
    [I am Currently running X58 MB]

***You should be running Win 7 or better*** for TRIM to work on SSD; you failed to state the OS your using.

Your MB does not have SATA III ports, SSD will not achieve best speed; but, it will still be visibly faster than mechanical drive.  Current "new" SSDs are much more stable and are a great update to your system.

EVGA 170-BL-E762     http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/141-BL-E759.pdf
    excerpt: page 8
    Nine(9) onboard Serial ATA II + one(1) eSATA II
    300MBps data transfer rate
    Six Serial ATA II connectors from south bridge
    with support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID10, and RAID 5

Setup your SSD:

1) So, backup important file to removable drive; Nice to Image (clone) drive also.

2) Get newest SSD controller software from Samsung. (or whatever brand you get)

3) BIOS, MB: best results NATIVE Intel controller SATA ports, set BIOS to ***AHCI - only*** (not IDE or RAID) Set Boot order to SSD as first drive when install of OS is done.

4) Time for a new install of Windows (preferred) Only install SSD; as MS Windows will place files in ALL HD that it can find during install; and if you later remove one of the HDs, Windows will not boot (Thanks Mr Gates) No sharp 90 degree bends in SATA cable, it can impact data.

5) Current main HD can be used for storage. Set Windows to save (My) documents, pictures, music, downloads to OLD mechanical HD.  Also non-priority programs should be installed on the mechanical drive.

6) Make image / clone of clean install after updates to New SSD; MS Windows, and again after all security software, lastly after final configuration of PC.  Much easier if you need to restore system later.

7) If you use the MS image software included with MS Windows; be aware that external HD on USB will error; just install a HD to MB SATA port to make image.  Remember to make a copy of your security key and logo on password reset, along with a restore disk.

8) Never- run a disk optimize function on SSD, just causes undo wear. 

9) Mount it anywhere, in case is FINE, there are no moving parts.  So, crashing heads not an issue.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/18 08:28:15

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/18 20:23:31 (permalink)
    i just dropped a 60gb SSD into this old XPS 410 while i wait my replacement 775 board for it, total steal at fry's too. Its noticeably faster than the old 250gb Mechanical ever was. This is a Patriot Blaze 60gb but its SATA 3 and quick on a 965P chipset dont worry about your x58 lol

Ive even tested an SSD on my P4 setup just for giggles its faster but XP doesn't support trim but even over SATA 1.5 i could tell a difference
    Jc
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 356
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/02/18 22:03:04 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    SSD will be much faster; seat of pants you will see the speed, best speed increase for any PC with more than 4GB of RAM.
    [I am Currently running X58 MB]

***You should be running Win 7 or better*** for TRIM to work on SSD; you failed to state the OS your using.

Your MB does not have SATA III ports, SSD will not achieve best speed; but, it will still be visibly faster than mechanical drive.  Current "new" SSDs are much more stable and are a great update to your system.

EVGA 170-BL-E762     http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/141-BL-E759.pdf
    excerpt: page 8
    Nine(9) onboard Serial ATA II + one(1) eSATA II
    300MBps data transfer rate
    Six Serial ATA II connectors from south bridge
    with support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID10, and RAID 5

Setup your SSD:

1) So, backup important file to removable drive; Nice to Image (clone) drive also.

2) Get newest SSD controller software from Samsung. (or whatever brand you get)

3) BIOS, MB: best results NATIVE Intel controller SATA ports, set BIOS to ***AHCI - only*** (not IDE or RAID) Set Boot order to SSD as first drive when install of OS is done.

4) Time for a new install of Windows (preferred) Only install SSD; as MS Windows will place files in ALL HD that it can find during install; and if you later remove one of the HDs, Windows will not boot (Thanks Mr Gates) No sharp 90 degree bends in SATA cable, it can impact data.

5) Current main HD can be used for storage. Set Windows to save (My) documents, pictures, music, downloads to OLD mechanical HD.  Also non-priority programs should be installed on the mechanical drive.

6) Make image / clone of clean install after updates to New SSD; MS Windows, and again after all security software, lastly after final configuration of PC.  Much easier if you need to restore system later.

7) If you use the MS image software included with MS Windows; be aware that external HD on USB will error; just install a HD to MB SATA port to make image.  Remember to make a copy of your security key and logo on password reset, along with a restore disk.

8) Never- run a disk optimize function on SSD, just causes undo wear. 

9) Mount it anywhere, in case is FINE, there are no moving parts.  So, crashing heads not an issue.

My OS is Window 7 64 Bit.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/02 11:57:02 (permalink)
    Give us an update on the results when you get the SSD installed.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

b.enis
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/05 06:17:24 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Hi,
    Does this advice also apply to the E768 that has the Marvell SATA 3 chipset?
    I just bought a Crucial MX100 SSD to upgrade from my X25-M G2, and plan to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1 so it's going to be a fresh new OS install.
    Wouldn't it be better to put the SSD on one of the SATA 3 ports? It's fast enough to benefit from the added bandwith.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/05 08:33:14 (permalink)
    b.enis
    Cool GTX

Hi,
    Does this advice also apply to the E768 that has the Marvell SATA 3 chipset?
    I just bought a Crucial MX100 SSD to upgrade from my X25-M G2, and plan to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1 so it's going to be a fresh new OS install.
    Wouldn't it be better to put the SSD on one of the SATA 3 ports? It's fast enough to benefit from the added bandwith.

When talking about PC, please use manufacture name and model number for clarity - Who made your E768?

Always put SSD on fastest Port your MB supports. Never bend shape 90 degree corners into SATA cable & use a quality cable for best results.

All SSD run their fastest on native Intel controllers -some MB do not have them and you can expect the SSD will not reach advertised max speed while benchmarking the drive.

SSD will make a real noticeable speed increase on any PC that is only using mechanical HD. 

Of course SATA-6 speeds are not available if SATA cable or port on MB do not support it.

excerpt:http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/50811/sata

SATA         Data Transfer Rate
     Version      Gbits/sec  MBytes/sec  Year

1.0 (I)           1.5        150      2001
     2.0 (II, 3G)    3.0        300      2004
     3.0 (III, 6G)   6.0        600      2009

3.2 (Express)  16.0       1969      2013

Let the form members know if this helps you. 
    Next time you may want to start a new thread of your own as the original post was solved and I just happened to take a second look today.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/03/05 12:47:06

b.enis
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/05 15:21:44 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    When talking about PC, please use manufacture name and model number for clarity - Who made your E768?

Always put SSD on fastest Port your MB supports. Never bend shape 90 degree corners into SATA cable & use a quality cable for best results.

All SSD run their fastest on native Intel controllers -some MB do not have them and you can expect the SSD will not reach advertised max speed while benchmarking the drive.

SSD will make a real noticeable speed increase on any PC that is only using mechanical HD. 

Of course SATA-6 speeds are not available if SATA cable or port on MB do not support it.

excerpt:

SATA         Data Transfer Rate
     Version      Gbits/sec  MBytes/sec  Year

1.0 (I)           1.5        150      2001
     2.0 (II, 3G)    3.0        300      2004
     3.0 (III, 6G)   6.0        600      2009

3.2 (Express)  16.0       1969      2013

Let the form members know if this helps you. 
    Next time you may want to start a new thread of your own as the original post was solved and I just happened to take a second look today.

thanks for your answer and your help.

The E768 is a X58 motherboard made by EVGA, also called EVGA X58 FTW3 :  

The native Intel controller only supports SATA 2 but it has a Marvell controller for SATA 3.
    So I am debating where to install my new SATA 3 SSD.

For the cables, I found this review, apparently it does not matter which cable you use:  so I'll keep using my SATA 2 cables I guess :)

Noted, I should have opened my own thread :)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/05 19:54:39 (permalink)
    b.enis
    thanks for your answer and your help.

The E768 is a X58 motherboard made by EVGA, also called EVGA X58 FTW3 :  

The native Intel controller only supports SATA 2 but it has a Marvell controller for SATA 3.
    So I am debating where to install my new SATA 3 SSD.

For the cables, I found this review, apparently it does not matter which cable you use:  so I'll keep using my SATA 2 cables I guess :)

Noted, I should have opened my own thread :)

The SATA-3 will be much faster in total data throughput. 

Thanks for the MB info for clarity; being an EVGA form one might have guessed it was made by EVGA; yet others have posted other brands.

My original comment was to address, that some people see their SSD does not perform as advertised when they benchmark the SSD. 

The fact that Intel controllers are "the best" for SSD data throughput is just one of those things.  Not a reason to use the older SATA-2 Intel ports.

Quality cables are all good.

Enjoy your new drive.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/03/06 11:53:10

b.enis
    Re: Will I see a huge decrease in performance if I pair my x58 to a NEWER model of ssd's? 2015/03/06 08:58:15 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
     The SATA-3 will be much faster in total data throughput. 

Thanks for the MB info for clarity; being an EVGA form one might have guessed it was made by EVGA; yet others have poste dother brands

My original comment was to address, that some people see their SSD does not perform as advertised when they benchmark the SSD. 

The fact that intel controlers are "the best" for SSD data throughput is just one of those things.  Not a reason to use the older SATA-2 Intel ports.

Quality cables are all good.

Enjoy your new drive.

thanks
    I posted 2 links in my previous message, but they were deleted :(
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile