EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhy don't manufacturers overclock the memory?

Author
Kanashi_Ningen
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/28 11:19:05 (permalink)
I have the GTX 1060 SC. I could push it above 600 MHz+ for the memory clock and the performance boost is quite substantial. I've seen comment sections where people happily boost their clocks (over 10%), yet there is ever any explanation about core vs. clock regarding temperatures. Is it safe? Is the GPU temperature dependable, or does memory clock heat not get picked up well enough by the card's sensors?

My temperatures with demanding games stays at about 71-73 C in an ITX case. 

*BTW, with regards to the title, I've only seen the Asus GTX 1060 get a memory overclock, a very conservative +100 Mhz. Unlike the GTX 1060 SC, it seems to have memory heat-sinks. 

post edited by Kanashi_Ningen - 2016/08/28 11:21:44
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/28 11:39:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kanashi_Ningen 2016/08/28 11:50:48
Memory is very fickle. It reacts unexpentedly to more or less voltage. It reacts unexpectedly to more or less temperature. Some days the manufacturer churns out memory which overclocks like crazy. Other days it churns out memory which seems identical but doesn't overclock well. Memory will even fail to work properly at stock speed after enough years. It is too much work to test every card at various memory overclocks, the results are too unreliable and variable where the overclock seems good and then all the sudden fails at some task, the return rate would be too high, the chances of failing to remain stable throughout the entire warranty period is too high, the lack of memory temperature sensing is a problem, etc., etc..
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/08/28 11:56:16

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/28 11:52:53 (permalink)
Kanashi_Ningen
I have the GTX 1060 SC. I could push it above 600 MHz+ for the memory clock and the performance boost is quite substantial. I've seen comment sections where people happily boost their clocks (over 10%), yet there is ever any explanation about core vs. clock regarding temperatures. Is it safe? Is the GPU temperature dependable, or does memory clock heat not get picked up well enough by the card's sensors?

*BTW, with regards to the title, I've only seen the Asus GTX 1060 get a memory overclock, a very conservative +100 Mhz. Unlike the GTX 1060 SC, it seems to have memory heat-sinks. 

Why? Because it's not worth the extra effort to ensure reliability. It's more cost effective to boost the GPU core, which gains more performance than over clocking the memory. I've not seen any examples where simply increasing the memory clock made a "substantial" difference in typical usage. Sure, if you were benching for scores, every bit helps (along with a modified BIOS). GPU memory temps are not sensed by the GPU. Another issues is memory power draw is taken into account for GPU boost which can limit your GPU core boost due to power draw.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/28 12:06:23 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Kanashi_Ningen

Why? Because it's not worth the extra effort to ensure reliability. It's more cost effective to boost the GPU core, which gains more performance than over clocking the memory. I've not seen any examples where simply increasing the memory clock made a "substantial" difference in typical usage. Sure, if you were benching for scores, every bit helps (along with a modified BIOS). GPU memory temps are not sensed by the GPU. Another issues is memory power draw is taken into account for GPU boost which can limit your GPU core boost due to power draw.

+1

If its Not stable its Not Running

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Kanashi_Ningen
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/28 12:16:38 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

So I just want to mention that the performance boost with the memory clock (for my card at least), is actually more effective than raising the core clock (the extra 140+ MHz I can add vs the 600 MHz ((or more))) .
As you said, the GPU core tends to down-clock between 55-70 C while the memory clock remains steady.

I'd really like to have the extra performance, but I have no clue what raising the memory clock will do over the long run. 

Guru3D took some thermal images of the GTX 1060 Founder's Edition and the VRM temperatures get quite warm (87 C). Assuming VRM temperature is an important component for stability, it'd be nice to know if the GTX 1060 SC's design makes it "safe". I know that the copper heat pipes run along to all of the Samsung memory chips. I *don't* know if this is an improvement over the original design. 

PeterFreeman
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/29 02:51:27 (permalink)
When I was running my EVGA SC ACX 2.0 970, The GPU could OC to around 140mhz (on Air), with a memory overclock of 520 mhz using heaven benchmark tried and tested with added volts for many hours untill I was convinced it was stable (it didnt seem to like having extras volts at all, in fact making it more unstable, even with heat not an issue hanging around 63c-65c either way, so I tried to find something that was happy without it)  I understood that the heaven benchmmark isnt represenative of real world applications so I spent a few weeks gaming etc.

It soon became very apparent that it was unstable, drivers failing, black screens and the like so I slowly, methodically lowered the overclocks in increments and finally landed on +100mhz gpu and a +300 mem overclocks which seemed quite stable in most of the games I was using. I suppose my question would have been at the time, would I have been better off leaving the GPU overclock at 140+ with no memory OC or a balance? The Heaven benchmarks seemed to favour a balance /shrug.

I am by no means an expert and have just received my new love, EVGA 1080 FTW (wife is back down to number 2 again on the list) which boosts to 2025 out of the box so pretty happy right now, the OC itch wanted scratching though so I had a little go and found a similar experience to the above. Initially, seems happy to have a high GPU overclock but when addding memory OC it complains, this was only the case over an hour or so, by no means a proper testing at all.

So when all is said and done, is a higher GPU OC with no memory OC more favourable than a mixture of both the GPU and Memory? even if it means lowering the GPU slightly to achieve a bigger overclock on memory?

*btw, long time lurker, hello all!

:)
post edited by PeterFreeman - 2016/08/29 02:54:11
Kanashi_Ningen
Re: Why don't manufacturers overclock the memory? 2016/08/29 04:50:27 (permalink)
@PeterFreeman; haggling for FPS with a GTX 1080 doesn't seem all that necessary—I'm sure you know—but I bet you could push the memory a bit more if you wanted (the return being basically nothing, what's an extra 2-3 FPS when you have 100+!).

I meant to say above that my system grows unstable with even an extra 10+ MHz to the core, but adding way more memory Mhz appears to have no bearing on system stability (runs warmer however). This last part is what makes it tantalizing but also has me wary about too much of a good thing over the long haul. 

Because of the GTX's 1060 memory bandwidth, memory overclocks are really beneficial; maybe not so much for higher-tiered cards? 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile