EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhy do I get red static with my 970 FTW?

Author
aquielisunari
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/29 21:33:00 (permalink)
Please excuse the horrendous nature of the video snap. It basically shows the red static over certain parts of the screen. Not just the transparency is affected. The taskbar is affected too. That. dear readers is the tip of the iceberg. And by static I mean the snow that we saw in the 80's on the old tube style TVs. But this snow is red and black. If it were red and cyan then I would think I had some sort of psychotic 3D possession of my card because I don't have any 3D hardware. Sure the driver includes it but it isn't enabled.

Oh. The driver. Have I checked the driver. HA! I have been through no less than half a dozen drivers. Have I done clean installs of drivers? Yes.Have I went into safe mode and ran a driver uninstaller, ran CCleaner after that and ran it's registry cleaner before rebooting normally and installing the most recent driver when I enter Windows, rebooting after that? Yes.

Have I tried my other PCI slot? Yes. The first slot is a PCIe 3.0 and the second slot is a PCIe 2.0. Yep, both x16.

What about voltage? 12.32 on the +12V rail consistently in the BIOS. Is it only in Windows? Er only on the desktop? No. I am not lucky like that. It also happens when I start games. Yes, games. How do I fix it? Restart the driver. The driver says everything is sunshine and rainbows. Huh? The device is working properly. So why when I restart does it get better Windows? It doesn't know. I can't find any errors in the Event Viewer about the GFX card. Well fry me a pickle it has to be the GFX card. Send it back to EVGA. Their RMA service is quick. Quicker if you choose the advanced RMA procedure. Tried that already. My first card did the same thing. WEll it must be your HDMI cable. I have recently changed it and nothing changes. Er it still goes bonkers with sporadic static or a full screen of static at times when I enter a game or during a gaming session. Okay. Someone got the binning process wrong. I got a bad chip. Twice in a row? I don't have another motherboard to try this with.

But wait. There's more! Recently I discovered if I alt+tab out of a game and then back in sometimes 2 or 3 times the artifacts? go away. Does it crash Windows? Today it seemed to log me out due to that issue. That was a first. So I don't even have to mess with the Device manager.

Has anybody else seen odd red static identical to the black and white snow that CRT TVs showed when there wasn't any reception? But it is only in certain parts of the screen. Well it is also a full screen snow and other times just through parts of the landscape I am in during a gaming session.

Hmmm binning process. Forgot about that. Let's enter or turn on debug mode through the Nvidia control panel to return this card's clocks back to stock levels. It changes NOTHING!!! Ahem. Nope not a thing.

Temps? Maxes out at 73C with a moderate overclock(along with an overclock of my 4690K) during a Heaven Benchmarking session. Default clocks after the session. Normally maxes out in the high 50's to low 60s during long gaming sessions.

Ran MSI afterburner and enabled the OSD for VRAM, RAM, CPU & GPU loads and temps and somethings else. Nothing anomalous.

Stars, smoke and straws welcome.

4690K i5, Win 10, Msi Z97 PC Mate, Evo 212, 1866 DDR3 CL10 RAM, 120GB SSD and 3 HDD storage drives. 7 120mm case fans. Normal. DVD drive.

Yes, this problem has lived through two cards and an OS reinstall.

EDIT: Why the video snap? Windows Snippet either sees a black screen or will see no issues whatsoever. F12 screenshot sees no issues. My screen can be peppered with red and black snow but it's Sunny and cloudless in the screen-grab. On the user has the pleasure of seeing the snow from hades.

Wait a minute. HOLD THE PHONE AND STOP THE PRESSES. EVGA has great tech support. Call them! I have. Probably about a half dozen times or so including the RMA. They can't pin down the issue.
post edited by aquielisunari - 2016/08/29 21:38:09

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Why do I get red static with my 970 FTW? 2016/08/29 21:42:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aquielisunari 2016/08/29 21:46:39
Does the issue occur when running onboard graphics? If no, you got yourself another faulty card. If yes, you got yourself a faulty display cable/monitor.
aquielisunari
Re: Why do I get red static with my 970 FTW? 2016/08/29 21:46:15 (permalink)
I was without a card for about a week. I seem to remember the issue reoccurring but I can't remember. Tomorrow I will disable my card and run it with just the 4690K's integrated GPU. Unfortunately this doesn't happen every day. I will try it out for as long as it takes. If I don't see the issue over the course of a week I will submit another RMA.

Thank you.

I have replaced my HDMI cable. HDMI 2.0. How can it be a faulty cable or TV if an ALT+TAB or restarting of the driver fixes the issue?
post edited by aquielisunari - 2016/08/29 21:48:26
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Why do I get red static with my 970 FTW? 2016/08/29 21:58:43 (permalink)
aquielisunari
How can it be a faulty cable or TV if an ALT+TAB or restarting of the driver fixes the issue?

Restarting the driver could clear the static temporarily. Let us know how everything goes while just running off the iGPU.
aquielisunari
Re: Why do I get red static with my 970 FTW? 2016/08/29 22:04:22 (permalink)
Sajin
aquielisunari
How can it be a faulty cable or TV if an ALT+TAB or restarting of the driver fixes the issue?

Restarting the driver could clear the static temporarily. Let us know how everything goes while just running off the iGPU.

Thank you, I will.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile