EVGA

Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jermo420
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/26 01:16:03 (permalink)
I have been building Gaming PC's for a long time. I really had my heart set on the EVGA 1050G power supply cause of how I love their video cards. I put nothing but EVGA graphics cards in all my computers. This love for EVGA has turned to being upset cause I feel they know they have a problem with their power supplies. I don't know if a bunch of bad batches made it out, or many workers had a bad day. I have gone through two of these EVGA 1050G power supplies in 1 year. I have a AMD 9550 5Ghz 8core on a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Mother board, 16G Kingston 1866 DDR3 Ram a EVGA 760 SC 4G with ACX cooler, my 8core is cooled with a Corsair H105 liquid cooler. I have a 2 TB hybrid hard drive and a 3D Blu Ray burner. My power supply is a EVGA 1050G . I have a Corsair 540 Air Case and a Nvidia 3D kit with a Asus 3D monitor and a gaming key board and mouse and a Corsair Void RGB wireless head set. My first power supply worked great then after 6 months it started not turning on my PC unless I turned the power switch on the back of the power supply off for a while and then back on. The power supply got worst to a point I would not be able to start my PC for hours. When it would start It worked great. So I went to Newegg I was like ok I'll buy the exact same power supply and then just RMA this one so if something happens I'll have a back up. Well I bought a new one I put it in place of the old one problem solved my PC ran great, so great I was like well I have a 7 year warranty no need to RMA just yet. So now six months have gone by and now the NEW power supply another EVGA 1050G shuts my computer down without warning. Sometimes it runs for 8 hours some times it runs for 30 to 5 minutes. I'm also back to the same thing my PC wont start unless I flip the power supply switch off and then back on. What was funny on the first power supply I used a volt meter it told me everything was good on the power supply so I bought a new Sabertooth Mother board thinking the on off jumper on the board was bad. What a waste of 200 dollars that was put in the new board same problem. I guess I have a back up motherboard thanks to EVGA at my cost. So now I'm waiting for my RMA power supply to show up like in 1 or 2 days. Soon as it gets here as long as the advance RMA goes well and EVGA don't tell me my return was lost so they can charge my credit card 189 dollars I will be sending this other 1050G back that is now failing after 6 months of use. Glad they have a 7 year warranty cause until I get one that works for 7 years I guess EVGA is going to love me cause I'll keep sending them back for new ones. Why would you offer a 7 year warranty on a product that can't make it 6 months??? The most my PC pulls on this beast is 650watts of power if that being pulled. The power supplies look great. They work great for a couple months. Even old Jonny GURU told everyone on NewEgg hey buy this power supply its the next best thing to slice bread all your PC will ever need. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?  It has me very disappointed. Understand I LOVE EVGA!! I swear by this company and the products and tell all my friends, family, and PC builders to buy EVGA Graphic cards and products. I want to upgrade my Graphics card to a EVGA 1070 8G but can't cause my power supplies wont work long enough. I feel EVGA should look into the issue of their power supplies failing cause on NewEgg and Amazon.com other people are having the same problem, and you can read the reviews your self about their computers shutting off and they have to flip the switch off and back on for the power supply to work and blah blah blah almost exactly the same issue I'm having to a tee. If any of you have had this problem please let me know.

post edited by Jermo420 - 2016/09/04 13:37:33

58 Replies Related Threads

davejauger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:00:26 (permalink)
    I am having same issues.. first EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS Power Supply died after just over 6 months of use. It died after turning the system off, it failed to power back up. Paperclip test verified the PS was defective. I paid for cross shipping and the shipping costs. The new PS arrived, installed and worked flawlessly for 5 weeks and as I was leaving town for the weekend I powered down my system. I return on Monday and the system fails to power up. I did the paperclip test and again the PS is dead. There is an obvious problem in this model of PS when turning off the system. I know they claim it is a continuous power supply unit, I am now thinking they mean once you turn it on never turn it off or it won't turn back on. I read many reviews before purchasing my PS and made a well informed purchase. I have tested my wattage requirements for my systems and I am just at approximately 650 watts peaking at max 700 watts. I purchased the 1050 watt so I would have ample power and not strain the system. This system is not used for gaming, strictly web surfing and torrent downloading.
    My issue is only occurring when doing a system shut down. Once the system is off, you press the power button, no response, press the power button on the Motherboard, no response. Turn the switch off at back of PS, wait, then turn on and try again, no response. Unplug, wait 30 minutes, retry, no response. Paperclip test verifies the PS is not turning back on.
    I have contacted EVGA for a warranty replacement but I will refuse to pay for shipping again or wait several weeks. Especially as this replacement PS only lasted 5 weeks. I paid good money for a highly rated Gold PS and it is soon showing it's true colours as a very low quality unit.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:06:14 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum Jermo420 & davejauger

davejauger is your Power from the Socket polarity correct and what is the Voltage on the socket and what City and State is this computer in. What type of UPS or Surge Protector are you using?  Same Question for Jermo420

Jermo420  it will take me a little longer to read your Post/Article.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/08/01 10:11:58

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:15:00 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Welcome to the Forum Jermo420 & davejauger

davejauger is your Power from the Socket polarity correct and what is the Voltage on the socket and what City and State is this computer in. What type of UPS or Surge Protector are you using?  Same Question for Jermo420

Jermo420  it will take me a little longer to read your Post.

+1

Beat me 2 it, bc.

Welcome to the forum guys.

How about a space hear and there, make it easier to read.

You should contact EVGA support directly

Unless you are not using a quality surge protector or the outlet power is out of spec --- seems like really bad luck to get 2 back to back "bad" PSU

What case are they in - how are they mounted - bottom mount, keep it off the carpet --heat & dust bunnies kill

Is the house / room cool and low humidity ? (Are you running A/C)

I'd ask for a EVGA 1000W G2 or even an 850W, with results like you got.

I've had great results with my EVGA PSUs

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/01 10:20:16

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

davejauger
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:20:19 (permalink)
    I have contacted EVGA support. Waiting for reply. Toronto Canada and high end surge protector however that is not the issue. The issue occurs only when doing a full system shut down. Not a reboot (restart). The paperclip test that EVGA has instructed to perform to verify if the PS is at fault or the motherboard. The test proves the PS is failing to power up.
    As for polarity there is no way to change that as the socket in the wall is A/C and has no polarity and is grounded, the internal connections on the PS are all modular and cannot reverse polarity so I don't know what you are trying to talk about.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:26:14 (permalink)
    Modern wall outlets: the two terminals parallel to each other

Wide terminal is wired neutral

Narrow terminal is the hot

that leaves the ground

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

davejauger
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 10:29:36 (permalink)
    Yes I know this. I have an electrical/technical background. That is not the issue. And the current alternates between the two terminals of the hot and neutral.
    And as Jerome said in his post you can find hundreds of people online having the same issue with the 1050G failing to power up after a shut down or restart, mostly a shut down.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 11:54:36 (permalink)
    Does this apply to your PSU units ?  input your serial number
    EVGA Power Supply Update Notice

excerpt:

EVGA has discovered that a small batch of our 1300W & 1000W Power Supplies (P/N: 120-G2-1300-XR, 220-P2-1000-XR, 120-G2-1000-XR) did not meet the quality levels that EVGA stands behind. There is insufficient insulation on the thermal pad by a heatsink which may cause the Power Supply to shut down or be unable to power on. If you have one of these part numbers, please fill in your serial number below on this page to see if your power supply is affected. NOTE: This symptom should not occur on ANY Power Supply that was purchased on October 1st, 2013 or later
    http://www.evga.com/articles/00803/

Also this LINK

These were back in 2013
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/01 12:28:15

davejauger
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/01 11:59:54 (permalink)
    This is the model I have and was purchased Nov 2015 (installed Dec 2015) and replaced the first time June 2016 and now requires replacement. EVGA has contacted me and they say the dead PSU I sent back tested perfect yet the test here in my PC proved the PSU was dead and installing the new PSU they shipped me powered up immediately. The PC has not been shut down for 5 weeks, once I did it will not power up.
    The model I have is 220-GS-1050-V1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS
    whitrzac
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/02 17:22:40 (permalink)
    I think there was a thread on OCN about someone who had a similar issue.

My 1050g is going on 8 months old and I'm a little worried....

I almost wonder if it's a cable issue too.
    davejauger
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/02 17:32:16 (permalink)
    EVGA is sending me out a new cable but I am 99.9% certain it is the PSU. EVGA claims they only have warranty issues with 1% of this model. Yet I find many people online complaining of the same issue, of those who leave reviews. It is funny how 3 previous versions of the PSU had the same exact issue but EVGA claims this model does not have that issue. I will see, the cable should be here in a week. Then I will test again before installing. But I am certain it is the PSU. Nothing in my system has ever changed since it's original build.
    I have been doing some research and the EVGA 1200P, the platinum has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings out there. Has the least reliability issues. If this 1050G is at fault I may upgrade to the 1200P and RMA the 1050G and keep as spare.
    Jermo420
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/30 16:58:51 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to RMA another one of these EVGA 1050G's that I bought I have a new one I just got back from a RMA 3 weeks ago. Thank God for Advance RMA from EVGA best RMA ever by the way. I will have to open it to send this one back. One purchased July 2015 the other March 2016. I run a Corsair 540 Air case and its a bottom mount on a high stand 3 feet high off the ground my socket is grounded to a pole 3 feet in the ground with a line running from my house. My Dad is a electrical Engineer who wires houses and boilers. It's the PSU big time it just shuts my PC off and I have to flip the power supply switch to turn it back on same as the first Issue I had. I'm running a AMD FX 9590 5Ghz 8 core, 16G Kingston Hyper Furry 1866DDR3 Ram,  EVGA 760 SC 4G Video card, Asus Am3+ socket Sabertooth 990fx R 2.0 mother board a 2TB Seagate Hybrid Hard drive inside a Corsair 540 Air case with a Corsair H105 Liquid cooler cooling the chip and this 1050G power supply dying on me lol. I play tons of video games So yes EVGA I'm butt hurt my dream power supply keeps dying and shutting my PC down without warning.  I will just keep doing RMA's till I get one that works the 7 years they warrantied them for. I have never had this issue with Thermal Take and I have 2 of those in other PC's cause I have 3 gaming PC's one of my Thermal Takes I bought back in 2006. and it's going strong 10 years later.
    post edited by Jermo420 - 2016/08/30 17:11:10
    grazerone
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/31 19:58:18 (permalink)
    I had the very same thing happen this evening when I got home. Went to power on my computer and nothing happened. I double checked everything to make sure it was plugged in, so I unplugged the PSU from the wall and flipped the switch on the back and gave it a second or two, then redid everything and it turned on. Worked like it never had issues. So I powered the system off and tried to start it, it didn't turn on. So once again did everything and it powered on. So I wrote to EVGA support so I'm waiting for a response. This isn't cool at all. EVGA is good name brand, but I see a few models are some issues.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/08/31 23:52:22 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem with my 850 GS supernova. It failed, and fried my x79 DARK board with the 850 supernova. The EVGAtech even had the nerve to ask me if my X79 Dark was still under warranty. Really guys? That pissed me off. After trying to start it back up. The second one was shipped to me and not even a couple weeks after hitting the power button, I hear a "gunshot" sound from the PSU. Second one fried, obviously. Switched to a Corsair power-supply. Everything working great now.

And the EVGAtech asks me if my x79 dark is under warranty when their PSU fried the board....

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jermo420
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/01 15:12:42 (permalink)
    Ya if I have one more go out I'm going to Corsair or Thermal Take and I'll never buy another EVGA Super Nova power supply as long as I live. I read Sea Sonic built all of EVGA's power supplies any ways. Why would a Company like Sea Sonic who makes their own power supplies to sell would want to make EVGA's better than thier own. Makes you wonder.
    post edited by Jermo420 - 2016/09/01 20:30:07
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/01 15:25:29 (permalink)
    Jermo420
    Ya if I have one more go out I'm going to Corsair or Thermal Take and I'll never buy another EVGA Super Nova power supply as long as I live. I read Sea Sonic built all of EVGA's power supplies any ways. Why would a Company like Sea Sonic who makes their own power supplies to sell would want to make EVGA's better than thier own. Makes you wonder.

Not all evga psu's are built by seasonic. Super Flower & HEC also build some of evga's psu's.
    Jermo420
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/01 20:31:33 (permalink)
    Well from what I read about mine. It's made by Sea Sonic. So I guess a few others make them as well. To bad EVGA don't make their own and can handle quality control on the finished product. Some other company putting out Junk with their name on it does not do good if they want fans of the products that you stick your companies name all over.
    post edited by Jermo420 - 2016/09/01 20:34:12
    grazerone
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/01 20:45:04 (permalink)
    Well I know it's an inconvenience, but the I after submitting my complaint to EVGA support, I've already have my RMA submitted though the holiday is going to hold me up, but at least Customer service is on point and is working this issue out. At least the PSU has a 7year warranty and I will probably pick up another PSU just to have as a backup. I really do not wish to switch out PSU because I've got all custom sleeved cables and it would be a pain the rear to do another PSU or possibly purchase some. I hope the new will not be an issue, I still have faith in EVGA.
    Jermo420
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/02 15:33:48 (permalink)
    Well today one of my best friends who bought the same power supply 1050G went out on him. He sent me a Facebook message saying his died last night, and he started a RMA. I started a new RMA a few days ago. Also I'm now not sure if Sea Sonic made these. I read some people saying they did, but on Tom's Hardware website they said they were made by a crap company. It's sad I'm on my 3rd and my PC just sets here. My PC it not abused or banged around. I have built Gaming PC's for a long time I have never had anything hardware fail like this ever in my life. Now my buddy who listened to me and bought this same power supply off Newegg his has failed! This is unacceptable EVGA!!! As a company you need to look into the issue cause I will go through  a million of them in RMA if I have to, or you can refund my money and I'll find a company like Corsiar or Thermal Take who can make a real power supply. I will admit the RMA is the best I have ever delt with, but if these were a GOOD PURCHACE I would not have to write this post. PS I will never listen to Jonny Guru ever again or any product he recommends for a PC.
    post edited by Jermo420 - 2016/09/04 13:35:54
    grazerone
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/02 16:03:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, I feel you on that, Jermo420. I can't say without really looking into the situation, but I'm thinking that the issues that EVGA was having with the other PSU might have carried over to these, I honestly don't know, but the RMA dept. is on the mark and I'm hoping that they are woking on a solution to this. I was going to go with the 1000G2 since it had a lot more positive reviews on Newegg, but I needed a little more cushion in my build and future expansion when I water cool. I guess we'll see what happens. Good luck to you and your friend, maybe we'll get lucky and get some god ones.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/03 02:31:21 (permalink)
    Companies are going to have a bad batch of product once in awhile. In the past people have swore off Corsair 1000w power supplies, due them failing too. All the popular brands, none of them mfg power supplies, they buy from OEM's. Here's a list on tom's hardware (few years old), showing who makes which vendor hardware.

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/03 04:28:17 (permalink)
    You can talk what you want but 1000 P2 and 1200 P2 are great PSU and not only them.
    But these two models are really great. Sometimes some batch have lower number of RMA.
    Take a look on Newegg customer experience. 1200 P2 have 45 (5 eggs) and only 3 (0 eggs). 
    4, 3, 2, 1 not exist. But some people report short cables as negative comments.
    If you see something like that confirmed stable and reliable than you should buy them because and good manufacturers
    sometimes launch second batch with less quality.
    Super Flower make excellent PSU but they become more famous, and most people hear for them after they made deal with EVGA.
    And they need to continue to make quality products, because if they fail than customers who had problems with EVGA PSU will avoid all their platforms.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/03 19:49:49 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    You can talk what you want but 1000 P2 and 1200 P2 are great PSU and not only them.
    But these two models are really great. Sometimes some batch have lower number of RMA.
    Take a look on Newegg customer experience. 1200 P2 have 45 (5 eggs) and only 3 (0 eggs). 
    4, 3, 2, 1 not exist. But some people report short cables as negative comments.
    If you see something like that confirmed stable and reliable than you should buy them because and good manufacturers
    sometimes launch second batch with less quality.
    Super Flower make excellent PSU but they become more famous, and most people hear for them after they made deal with EVGA.
    And they need to continue to make quality products, because if they fail than customers who had problems with EVGA PSU will avoid all their platforms.

Remember, they're not talking about the P2, they're talking about "G"; we don't even know if the power supplies even used the same parts, or not, not just the capacitors, but everything else within the power supply. Also, your statement is very opinionated, just saying sir.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 07:05:18 (permalink)
    I know but looks like people thought that EVGA power supplies die easy.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 10:11:53 (permalink)
    My 1600 T2 has been rock solid.
    post edited by Sajin - 2016/11/25 15:59:49
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 18:19:42 (permalink)
    Sajin

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 18:29:10 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    Sajin

+1 X 2

My 1600 P2 has been rock solid.

My 1000 G2 has been rock solid.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 18:44:44 (permalink)
    I have 10 EVGA Power Supplies and other then One Recall on the 1300 G2 I have had no problems on any of them.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

egainey1981
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 179
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/04 20:20:39 (permalink)
    I now have 3. A 750 G2, a 550 G2, and the cheapo 430 B. All have been solid.

EVGA DG-87, Asus Hero Maximus X Z370, i7-8700K, EVGA 280MM CLC , GSKILL 16GB (4x4)(3200)
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 250 GB 960 EVO M.2, 1TB & 2TB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
    crxguy69
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Why are the SuperNova 1050G power supplies failing after a few months of use??? 2016/09/10 20:14:52 (permalink)
    I just purchased a 1050G silent series for a build im working on..kind of nervous now!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile