What is nvidia surround?

Author
chaldo267
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/03/30 06:21:00 (permalink)
What id it and how do i use it . Does it make your gaming experience a lot better?

4 Replies Related Threads

mrcimon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 187
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:What is nvidia surround? 2012/03/30 06:27:02 (permalink)
    That depends on if you think you may like it.  Basically, it allows you to set up 3 Monitors of the same size in a super widescreen format and extend the image across all screens.  

Some people like it.  Some don't.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z    
    Core i7-2600k @ 4.2GHz       
    16g G.Skill Ripjaw Series @ 2133Mhz
    2-way SLI GTX 680's 
    OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb SSD
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1275W Platinum Certified PSU
    Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:What is nvidia surround? 2012/03/30 07:24:18 (permalink)
    Well. Let me explain this a different way. And in order to do it, you need to physically do as I am suggesting here...

• Take your hands and make them flat (Like you would be doing to clap or slap a table).
    • Now take both hands and place them on your face like you have seen horses have them (Horse blinders, they can only see forward, not side to side). Each hand on the outer side of each eye. 
    • Nice and tight, hands like a blinder so you can only see forward...
    • Now bend your hands to allow you to see more than what is just straight in front of you...
    That is what Surround does.

It DOES NOT stretch the current video you have (In true surround mode and if game supports it) it adds more actual visual.

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites and they show you how the 1920x1080 is on top, all the way to 5760x180 at the bottom...

Notice how more and more is "Added" to your visual effect. You can actually see cars to your right and left, where on a single monitor you cannot see them until they are up by your front fenders...

http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/forums/gaming/detailed-widescreen-reports/21202/detailed-report-iracing

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4546
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:What is nvidia surround? 2012/03/30 08:32:01 (permalink)
    Afterburner

Well. Let me explain this a different way. And in order to do it, you need to physically do as I am suggesting here...

• Take your hands and make them flat (Like you would be doing to clap or slap a table).
    • Now take both hands and place them on your face like you have seen horses have them (Horse blinders, they can only see forward, not side to side). Each hand on the outer side of each eye. 
    • Now bend your hands to allow you to see more than what is just straight in front of you...

It DOES NOT stretch the current video you have (In true surround mode and if game supports it) it adds more actual visual.

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites and they show you how the 1920x1080 is on top, all the way to 5760x180 at the bottom...

Notice how more and more is "Added" to your visual effect. You can actually see cars to your right and left, where on a single monitor you cannot see them until they are up by your front fenders...

http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/forums/gaming/detailed-widescreen-reports/21202/detailed-report-iracing

Wow buddy, you should work for Nvidia;)  Great explanation!

I hadn't seen that picture before, good stuff.  I stumbled upon this from AMD (Eyefinity) which is very close to the same thing.  This shows it in ACTION. 

http://www.amd.com/us/pro...erience-eyefinity.aspx

Just click on the game, then play.  You can go back and forth from regular view to eyefinity (which is almost exactly the same as surround).

After seeing this, I really don't understand how people would want to experience any less.

bcb325ci
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1353
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:What is nvidia surround? 2012/03/30 09:05:08 (permalink)
    Afterburner

I was going to create a new post, but decided this post will work. I have been really interested in surround for some time now. I have been looking into what monitors to get and if I should use 23 or 24 inch or 3d 120hrz monitors. My main concern is what kind of performance I will get when using 3 monitor setup not to mention if I used 3d. I currently use 1920x1200 res on my HannG 28 inch, which is pretty nice. I usually play FPS, but do like racing games and other such as Skyrim, AC, Batman as so on. I have a budget of about a grand and was thinking of getting the 680's, really didn't want to sacrifice my 3gb of VRAM for 2. Any suggestion of input would be great...thanks

Rig 
    i5 4670k @ 4.5 with Hyper 212 push/pull 
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H 
    Corsair SMX3 1600 8 gigs 
    MSI 660 TF OC in SLI 
    OZC Vertex 3 120gig  
    OCZ 800 watt                  &
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile