EVGA

[SOLVED] Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot

Author
Devlon
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/02 11:56:58 (permalink)
Hi guys, I'm experiencing a weird problem using my GTX 980 TI SLI with games. After 5-10 minutes of playing the game freezes and I have to manually reboot the computer. This problem appears in every game I've tried (TW3, AC Unity, GW2, WoW). The Event Record shows a Kernel-Power problem. 

If I turn off the SLI the game doesn't crash. I've tried any kind of solution that I found on the web, but none worked. Some clue: 
1) I've tried every card alone in every PCIE slot, and they work fine.
2) It's not a PSU problem, I've tested it.
3) The drivers are the most recent (353.83 Hotfix for the tdm) and I've installed them with a clean install after using the driver cleaner. Nothing changed after unistalling and re-installing them a second time.
4) It's not a SLI Bridge problem, I've tried another one and there's the same problem.

5) It's not a Temp problem (always <70°C before the freeze and fans are running normally).

My computer: 
CPU: I7 5820k 
Mobo: MSI x99 Sli Plus
RAM: DDR4 16 Gb 
PSU: Corsair CM 1000 W
GPU: SLI GTX 980 ti SC ACx 2.0

Any ideas? Thank you for the help! 

Update: I found a solution for my problem, and I write it here so anyone who has the same issue could find it. 
Changing MOTHERBOARD (From MSI x99 SLI Plus to ASUS x99 Pro) solved the problem completely. I suppose that was a problem inside the Mobo hand-made circuitry that made the SLI crash for some unknown incompatibility. 

Thanks to everyone for the help! The two GTX 980 Ti SC are now working perfectly!

post edited by Devlon - 2015/07/18 11:23:35

14 Replies Related Threads

cdc-951
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 520
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:09:43 (permalink)
    could be 2 things

1. It could be the power supply, as crazy as it sounds.... My friend had the same problem and after 3 power supplies he stopped having that issue. I was amazed because the bios was showing 12v 5v etc all working fine. It only happened when he put load on the system.

2. (highly doubt it is this) could be the electrical wiring in the house or socket. Try a different socket? My other good friend of mines had that problem because the electrical wiring is so bad in his house that when his brother used the vacuum his pc would crap out like that also. 

Do you have any other power supply to test it on? If not do you know anyone who has an extra power that is modular to let you borrow? I highly doubt it is the cards.

p.s. do you have any overclocks on the gpus?
    cdc-951
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:16:32 (permalink)
    I would call EVGA support, they are fast on answering and the support team is fantastic!! Not some over sea, bad, unskillful workers there on the EVGA team. I love their support!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:18:08 (permalink)
    Are your screens black when the freeze occurs? Does pressing the reset button restart the computer without issues or do you have to manually power down by holding the power button each time to restore normal operation?
    post edited by Sajin - 2015/07/02 12:20:42
    Devlon
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:28:29 (permalink)
    @cdc-951 
    I've tried another psu but the problem always shows up. I've also tried to switch to another electrical socket, but nothing. 

@sajin 
    The screen isn't black but it shows the last frame of the game. Resetting the computer pressing the reboot button restores the normal operations, I don't have to hold it down. Any idea? 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:32:02 (permalink)
    Have you tried switching the sli bridge to the other set of sli fingers? If not, try that to see if you continue to freeze or not.
    Devlon
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:37:16 (permalink)
    Yes, I've tried. Unfortunately same result  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:38:25 (permalink)
    Is your motherboard updated to the very latest bios? If not, update it and try again.
    Devlon
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:46:05 (permalink)
    Sadly my bios is the most recent 
    dogma1138
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 12:52:52 (permalink)
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's the cooler i got the ACX 2.0+ cooler for my dual Titan X's and it's the worse mistake I've done in my life, it's loud as hell at 50-60% it's louder than the ref cooler at 100.
    It can't keep a decent boost clock and it takes it ages to cool down, tried to reinstall the ACX cooler multiple times today, replaced the thermal compound and even the thermal pads nada, since the "upgrade" worse performance and constant GFX driver crashes.

The build quality of the cooler was also a real disappointment, el-cheapo-o-fanno fans, very low fin density, the fins themselves are flimsy and rattle many of the fin interconnect don't seem to be bent into place properly and the fins just slide over the heat pipes without any decent contact with them, some how i doubt that this is a specific fab issue at these are 2 fairly recent build date units and although they were purchased at the same time the S/N's and build dates are far enough apart to not put them in the same batch.

I have a PALIT GTX 770 Triforce cooler sitting next to me and the build quality on that one is a whole 'nother level, seems like EVGA is being slipping up on build quality especially compared to the other OEM's out there.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 13:27:25 (permalink)
    Runs the cards in sli in another system to verify the cards are faulty. 
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 14:49:56 (permalink)
    Dear dogma1138,

I am very sorry to hear that you are not happy with your cooler.  Please ensure that you do have proper airflow in the system if your cards are running warmer.  Please understand that if your system does not have good airflow then the air will build up and the cards will not run as cool as they can. I would also make sure that when you did apply the thermal compound on the GPU that you did install a thin layer as too much can cause it to heat up.

I assure you that the build quality is good and I am very sorry to hear that you are not happy with your fans as most users are.  I have included a link to an outline of the ACX 2.0 design, of the fan and cooler below, and please do not hesitate to contact our EU office if you should need troubleshooting help with your install. supporteu@evga.com

https://www.evga.com/articles/00872/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-970/#ACXCooling

dogma1138
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's the cooler i got the ACX 2.0+ cooler for my dual Titan X's and it's the worse mistake I've done in my life, it's loud as hell at 50-60% it's louder than the ref cooler at 100.
    It can't keep a decent boost clock and it takes it ages to cool down, tried to reinstall the ACX cooler multiple times today, replaced the thermal compound and even the thermal pads nada, since the "upgrade" worse performance and constant GFX driver crashes.

The build quality of the cooler was also a real disappointment, el-cheapo-o-fanno fans, very low fin density, the fins themselves are flimsy and rattle many of the fin interconnect don't seem to be bent into place properly and the fins just slide over the heat pipes without any decent contact with them, some how i doubt that this is a specific fab issue at these are 2 fairly recent build date units and although they were purchased at the same time the S/N's and build dates are far enough apart to not put them in the same batch.

I have a PALIT GTX 770 Triforce cooler sitting next to me and the build quality on that one is a whole 'nother level, seems like EVGA is being slipping up on build quality especially compared to the other OEM's out there.

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/02 15:01:44 (permalink)
    Hi Devlon,

I am sorry to hear of your issue and I can only assume that since both cards work by themselves then the cards are working as they should.  I recommend trying to either turn off XMP if it is enabled or turn it on if it is disabled to see if that helps.  If you have tried this have you looked for any available BIOS updates for the motherboard?  May I ask how you are certain this is not related to power?

I too recommend trying the cards on another system if that is an option as this would be the best way to narrow down if this is truly a problem with one of the cards.

Please email our support if you should need more help with these products. Support@evga.com

Devlon
    Hi guys, I'm experiencing a weird problem using my GTX 980 TI SLI with games. After 5-10 minutes of playing the game freezes and I have to manually reboot the computer. This problem appears in every game I've tried (TW3, AC Unity, GW2, WoW). The Event Record shows a Kernel-Power problem. 

If I turn off the SLI the game doesn't crash. I've tried any kind of solution that I found on the web, but none worked. Some clue: 
    1) I've tried every card alone in every PCIE slot, and they work fine.
    2) It's not a PSU problem, I've tested it.
    3) The drivers are the most recent (353.83 Hotfix for the tdm) and I've installed them with a clean install after using the driver cleaner. Nothing changed after unistalling and re-installing them a second time.
    4) It's not a SLI Bridge problem, I've tried another one and there's the same problem.

5) It's not a Temp problem (always <70°C before the freeze and fans are running normally).

My computer: 
    CPU: I7 5820k 
    Mobo: MSI x99 Sli Plus
    RAM: DDR4 16 Gb 
    PSU: Corsair CM 1000 W
    GPU: SLI GTX 980 ti SC ACx 2.0

Any ideas? Thank you for the help! 

Devlon
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/07/18 11:23:44 (permalink)
    Update: I found a solution for my problem, and I write it here so anyone who has the same issue could find it. 
    Changing MOTHERBOARD (From MSI x99 SLI Plus to ASUS x99 Pro) solved the problem completely. I suppose that was a problem inside the Mobo hand-made circuitry that made the SLI crash for some unknown incompatibility. 

Thanks to everyone for the help! The two GTX 980 Ti SC are now working perfectly!
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Weird problem with GTX 980 Ti SC ACx 2.0 SLI - Games Freeze and I've to reboot 2015/08/11 21:52:35 (permalink)
    Glad you got the problem solved.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile