Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2014/10/31 13:40:09 (permalink)
http://gizmodo.com/virgin-galactic-experiences-first-major-accident-possi-1653360863

I wonder if the new fuel had anything to do with this?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

20 Replies Related Threads

moose517
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6259
    • Ribbons : 33
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/10/31 13:49:52 (permalink)
    Pretty crazy, not been a very good week for space flight in general.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 13:56:36 (permalink)
    Wonder how much of a time setback this will cause?
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 14:03:19 (permalink)

These rockets into space used to work well. I wonder what the heck happened. Not like it used to be. I guess it may be because Nasa isn't building these, but private companies. Need money allocated towards the space program again.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 19:11:28 (permalink)
    What happened is commercialization. Commercial enterprises cut corners and use cheap things when they can. NASA never did that and had a seller record. Need to move back to the NASA formula and chunk these corporate profit mongers out of the space travel business. I would never step foot into a commercial space rocket.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 19:17:45 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    What happened is commercialization. Commercial enterprises cut corners and use cheap things when they can. NASA never did that and had a seller record. Need to move back to the NASA formula and chunk these corporate profit mongers out of the space travel business. I would never step foot into a commercial space rocket.

I vote for keeping NASA out of it.  Many people don't want to pay for the expense of NASA simply because they aren't that interested in the research.  Let those with interest in the field pay for the product or service offered commercially.
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 19:25:52 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Grey_Beard

I vote for keeping NASA out of it.  Many people don't want to pay for the expense of NASA simply because they aren't that interested in the research.  Let those with interest in the field pay for the product or service offered commercially.

Not saying NASA never made a mistake, but the commercialization of this is a mistake. The data we see the last few days has shown us that. The use of 50 year old engines. The use of fuel not thoroughly tested. Go ahead and put your life and millions into these jokers hands, I will not consider that option. If you do decide, I wish you the best and safest trip, no sarcasm.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/01 20:22:07 (permalink)
    Gotta take risks to succeed. Even NASA does not negate most risks involved with spaceflight.
    emepror
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2022
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/02 08:09:58 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard

NASA never cut corners? They said that until the challenger exploded after liftoff, the o-rings will be fine they said!

While there is definitely the chance of cutting corners, what the private space industry is doing now and will be doing in the future is more than anything NASA can ever hope to accomplish in the future. NASA is a politician's piggy bank and jobs tool at this point unfortunately, they don't get the budget they need and don't have to direction to properly use it. Companies like Orbital Sciences, SpaceX, Scaled Composites/Virgin Galactic and Bigelow Aerospace are pushing the boundaries of spaceflight for the first time in years and with them we might finally get the Mars missions, space stations and commercial spaceflight that everyone has been promising for 50 years....and then doing nothing about it.

[11:11:11] trust_me: I had a hamburger once...
    [20:32:06] moose517: ROFL i got my fro stuck on a sprinkler at work one time
    [20:32:09] moose517: that sucked
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/02 16:13:22 (permalink)
    Yeah, a lot of people are jumping onto the new fuel type as the culprit. Virgin Galactic switched from a rubber-based fuel to a plastic-based alternative. Too early to say but it's a good starting place.

Regarding the commercialization argument, anyone that watched the US Air Force / NASA rushing in their attempt to develop space-capable rockets wouldn't say they were safe. It took years before the rockets reached a >50% probability of not exploding right on the pad, and the Soviet's early program wasn't a whole lot better when they started either. The US blew up quite a few weather and spy sats in the early 60's in spectacular fashion before figuring out how to build a proper rocket that wasn't just a rebadged ICBM. 

I'll agree on one point though, all these companies really really need to stop using 30 to 50+ year old engines. Even in the late 70's metallurgy and metal fatigue was only just coming into understanding. That's also ignoring that the quality of the metal manufacturing used to originally build the components, its purity and strength aren't even comparable to modern manufacturing capabilities. If anyone needs a demonstration of that just watch the vid on youtube of a 1950 Chevy Bel Air versus a modern day Chevy Cobalt in a head-on crash test, all that extra steel bodywork and large size didn't do anything to protect that dummy from what would've been a fatality. The small amount of high-strength aluminum in the Cobalt is laughable by comparison but it sure did its job.

Have water, will cool. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 05:57:38 (permalink)

Virgin spaceship's descent system deployed early

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...loyed-early/ar-BBcH8Uv
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 12:13:29 (permalink)
    Interesting.  I was going to make a comment yesterday regarding my observation of a strange tail boom rotation shortly before the end of the feed.  But then I figured that I didn't design it and I have no idea what I am talking about.  You can see in one of the videos, there is a camera mounted to one of the stabilizers on the tail with video footage of the engine lighting off.  You can see in that video footage, the engine lights off and everything is good for a while; but then the tail starts to rotate and then the feed ends.  I thought to myself "hmm, it seems odd to place such a huge drag on the aircraft in atmosphere while the engine is blasting full force".

EDIT:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1RqX47eek
    Around the 1:00 mark.  I guess my recollection is not 100% since the engine was not firing at that point.  But you can clearly see the tail boom rotating, the aircraft shaking, and then the feed ends.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/11/03 12:17:28
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 12:37:31 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Interesting.  I was going to make a comment yesterday regarding my observation of a strange tail boom rotation shortly before the end of the feed.  But then I figured that I didn't design it and I have no idea what I am talking about.  You can see in one of the videos, there is a camera mounted to one of the stabilizers on the tail with video footage of the engine lighting off.  You can see in that video footage, the engine lights off and everything is good for a while; but then the tail starts to rotate and then the feed ends.  I thought to myself "hmm, it seems odd to place such a huge drag on the aircraft in atmosphere while the engine is blasting full force".

EDIT:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1RqX47eek
    Around the 1:00 mark.  I guess my recollection is not 100% since the engine was not firing at that point.  But you can clearly see the tail boom rotating, the aircraft shaking, and then the feed ends.

Lady commenting in that video has no clue what she is talking about.
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 12:44:22 (permalink)
    There is now speculation that the design may have been the culprit. Interesting that there are many issues that could cause this.

emepror
    Grey_Beard

NASA never cut corners? They said that until the challenger exploded after liftoff, the o-rings will be fine they said!

While there is definitely the chance of cutting corners, what the private space industry is doing now and will be doing in the future is more than anything NASA can ever hope to accomplish in the future. NASA is a politician's piggy bank and jobs tool at this point unfortunately, they don't get the budget they need and don't have to direction to properly use it. Companies like Orbital Sciences, SpaceX, Scaled Composites/Virgin Galactic and Bigelow Aerospace are pushing the boundaries of spaceflight for the first time in years and with them we might finally get the Mars missions, space stations and commercial spaceflight that everyone has been promising for 50 years....and then doing nothing about it.

Although NASA has made mistakes, it will take many years before these commercial enterprises begin to know what they are doing.  NASA had a record that was almost flawless.  Yes the shuttle crash was one, Apollo 13, and Apollo 1 are the other notables, but they never had this kind of steak that we have seen in the last week.  Say what you want about government suckers and piggy banks, commercial industry has done far worse and I will not trust them.  I am glad that I may never see the day of commercial space flight, but even if I had the money and it was available, I cannot trust these corporate profit greed mongers on this stuff.  The government has issues, but government lays many of the grounds so these corporate "greats", as you think they are, can then come in and do it so much better than the government.  We would not have cellphones, cars and many other items without the investments of government.  What has corporate America done for you lately?  I think we have been fighting too many wars with our funds to invest them in the ideas you mentioned.  But wait until you get the corporate price tag for this stuff.  Just wait for it.  Then you'll know why they did it and how much they will make from doing it.  Talk about the piggy banks of politicians then.
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2014/11/03 12:46:38

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 15:52:17 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    Although NASA has made mistakes, it will take many years before these commercial enterprises begin to know what they are doing.

SpaceShipOne, the winner of the X Prize, had an approximately 3-year full-time development cycle before it attained a manned flight into space.  This is identical to NASA's 3-year manned space flight development cycle of its Mercury 3 Freedom 7 aircraft.  To say that this commercial enterprise has no idea what they are doing is a slap in the face considering they have already proven that they can do it.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 16:17:11 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Grey_Beard
    Although NASA has made mistakes, it will take many years before these commercial enterprises begin to know what they are doing.

SpaceShipOne, the winner of the X Prize, had an approximately 3-year full-time development cycle before it attained a manned flight into space.  This is identical to NASA's 3-year manned space flight development cycle of its Mercury 3 Freedom 7 aircraft.  To say that this commercial enterprise has no idea what they are doing is a slap in the face considering they have already proven that they can do it.

Agreed.

Plus this keeps tax payers from footing the total bill and running up the debt even more. The U.S. needs to get spending under control, albeit I would rather money go to NASA then other places it goes to, but those other places, other than medical, can't be privatized and turn a profit.
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 18:12:40 (permalink)
    Until we all get the bill to travel that way or have to one day.   NASA made more of a contribution than debt and to say that is just not thinking properly.  Commercialization is not always best, no matter what distorted thinking you have.  All commercial space companies have done is proven that they could do something NASA did 50 years ago at a time when they had to make the tech.  I know, you gotta start somewhere, right.  This argument makes me laugh.
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2014/11/03 18:13:45

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 18:59:34 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    Until we all get the bill to travel that way or have to one day.   NASA made more of a contribution than debt and to say that is just not thinking properly.  Commercialization is not always best, no matter what distorted thinking you have.  All commercial space companies have done is proven that they could do something NASA did 50 years ago at a time when they had to make the tech.  I know, you gotta start somewhere, right.  This argument makes me laugh.

I am not arguing whether or not NASA was able to foster revolutionary technological breakthroughs.  I don't know why you are arguing that slant.  For those who care about going to space, I think the commercial operators will prove themselves capable.  For those who don't care about going to space, I think the closing of NASA's doors -- after all they were able to accomplish -- is a sigh of relief.

All are happy.  :)  The dream lives on for those who wish to pursue it.  Why sour it?
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 20:02:16 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Grey_Beard

I am not arguing whether or not NASA was able to foster revolutionary technological breakthroughs.  I don't know why you are arguing that slant.  For those who care about going to space, I think the commercial operators will prove themselves capable.  For those who don't care about going to space, I think the closing of NASA's doors -- after all they were able to accomplish -- is a sigh of relief.

All are happy.  :)  The dream lives on for those who wish to pursue it.  Why sour it?

We agree to disagree. I am not souring it. I just do not believe that dream lives on. Time will tell and in some why I hope it works out, but I am a cynic.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/03 21:14:43 (permalink)
    I think the problem in some thinking is that it's either/or. Both NASA and commercial spaceflight will branch off in different directions and have different goals. I see some people showing bias towards one or the other option as though both won't co-exist. Commercial spaceflight will exist simply for the fact that satellites are consumables. They go up, sit in orbit then come down...rinse and repeat. SpaceX for example has significantly more backlog of commercial satellite launches they're booked for that have nothing to do with NASA. SpaceX did jump start them with COTS, but NASA will not be what sustains them in the future. It's going to be the same with others like Orbital Sciences and Bigelow Aerospace. 
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/11/03 22:32:20
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Has Crashed, One Pilot Confirmed Dead 2014/11/04 05:28:39 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    I think the problem in some thinking is that it's either/or. Both NASA and commercial spaceflight will branch off in different directions and have different goals. I see some people showing bias towards one or the other option as though both won't co-exist. Commercial spaceflight will exist simply for the fact that satellites are consumables. They go up, sit in orbit then come down...rinse and repeat. SpaceX for example has significantly more backlog of commercial satellite launches they're booked for that have nothing to do with NASA. SpaceX did jump start them with COTS, but NASA will not be what sustains them in the future. It's going to be the same with others like Orbital Sciences and Bigelow Aerospace. 

Thanks Brad, you summed this up well.  I also agree they both have a place.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile