EVGA

Vibration in Radiator Fins at Low Fan RPM on GTX 770 Classified 4GB w/ ACX Cooler and SLI

Author
AsterAlff
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/05 12:12:21 (permalink)
Hello,

A few months ago I bought two EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classifieds with ACX Coolers, they run in SLI and I love them.
The only issue being some weird noise that comes from one of the cards. At lower fan RPMs (<60%), I hear a rattling noise. I suspect it's from the radiator fins that are misaligned or something, but I can't really tell. This vibration only occurs when the SLI bridge is on (presumably because the PCB might be a bit flexed with it on?). At some point I had minimized the vibration by sticking a folded SATA cable between the two, but it didn't really help that much and my somewhat ghetto approach wasn't really pleasing me. Sticking my head close enough to my cards while they're running isn't possible because my case is too small (or my head is too big, that's a dilemma for another day). At the time I bought them I didn't really give it much thought and have basically just been bearing with the issue for the past 9 months, but now I have a bit more time and space to breathe and I really want an awesome, silent system that can give me the roar I need, when I need it, and obviously this issue is getting in the way of that.

I no longer have the original boxes that came with the cards (I moved twice and they probably got mistaken for trash at some point), thus probably making it hard for me to send them back to EVGA. Not only that, but I have a triple-display setup where all three monitors are DVI and since I use them every day for work (and gaming ), and separating myself for several weeks from this awesome surround setup would prove to be difficult.

Either way, I'd like to know if this issue has occurred with anyone else and if so, how I can fix it.
Maybe some tips on how to reduce this vibration in a more surefire way?

If really necessary, I'll try to find a way to send the card in question to EVGA for repairs.

Thanks for any replies.

3 Replies Related Threads

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Vibration in Radiator Fins at Low Fan RPM on GTX 770 Classified 4GB w/ ACX Cooler and 2014/08/05 12:16:13 (permalink)
    The vibration noise can be fairly common unfortunately.  See this link below, should have all the info you need and then some....good luck.

http://forums.evga.com/ACX-rattle-noise-problem-fix-m2018526.aspx

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    AsterAlff
    Re: Vibration in Radiator Fins at Low Fan RPM on GTX 770 Classified 4GB w/ ACX Cooler and 2014/08/05 13:48:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link!
    I'll try that tonight when I turn my PC off. Will report tomorrow.

Cheers
    AsterAlff
    Re: Vibration in Radiator Fins at Low Fan RPM on GTX 770 Classified 4GB w/ ACX Cooler and 2014/08/26 05:07:35 (permalink)
    So!

My motherboard died after I did this stuff. Long story short, it took me three weeks to get a new one.

I stuck a piece of cardboard beneath the ACX cooler's fins and the noise is still there (maybe a bit less, I can't tell, it's been three weeks).
    I'll just leave it as it is until the next time I can muster up the courage to dig into my machine.

Cheers
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile