EVGA

AnsweredVery disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues

Author
tommyv2
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2016/09/27 06:17:08 (permalink)
A warning to customers outside the US:

Few weeks ago, I RMAed my 1080 FTW due to black screen issues and card no longer posting. EVGA processed an advanced RMA and sent me a new card once I submitted the credit card collateral info. Well, once they got my card back, they refunded me the original amount in US funds... except by now the Canadian dollar had fallen, costing me a hair over $36 due to the exchange rate. So, I'm out that money and will have to try and deal with the credit card company and see if they show any mercy. Just disappointed that EVGA outright charges the card instead of putting a credit hold on it (like a hotel does).

Can any EVGA rep confirm this is normal?
Has this happened to anyone else here? This is my first EVGA product and incidentally my first EVGA service experience, and I am highly disappointed in how this has turned out so far. Losing money on exchanging a defective product isn't what I expected and this is the first time I've ever seen such a thing happen.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 07:56:20 (permalink)
"exchange rate" charges at the time of Post to your Credit Card not the time of the Charge or the Pending Charges.
This is listed under my CC agreement on Visa, AMX, Discover, and MasterCard.
So you would need to ask this question from your Credit Card Company.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

tommyv2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 08:02:06 (permalink)
I get the exchange rate function, just curious why EVGA outright charges the CC instead of placing a credit hold? I've done numerous advanced exchanges in the past with different products and that's how other companies handle it. Well, in fact, most companies don't ask for collateral this way, especially for defective warranty issues (I could understand how it would be different for returns/upgrades after buying).
raidflex
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 09:42:01 (permalink)
That does not make sense, when a refund is issued it should be for the amount that was charged. Exchange rates should have nothing to do with a refund for the ORIGINAL amount charged.  I would definitely contact the CC company, and I agree there should be no charges just a hold on the CC. 

MSI B550 Mag Mortar 
AMD Ryzen 5800X
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
Corsair AX1200
Gskill Trident Neo 3600 32gb 
Caselabs Mercury S5 w/pedestal
Windows 10 Pro x64
EK Supremacy EVO
Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 x2
Heatkiller Tube 200 D5
Acer 34in UW EI342CKR Pbmiippx
tommyv2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 12:20:44 (permalink)
I agree. Definitely a full payment and then refund for the original USD amount... which hurt when converted back to CAD. It really adds up on big items like this.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 12:33:56 (permalink)
EVGA charged X USD originally and then gave back the same X USD value. EVGA didn't cause the exchange rate issue. Your credit card company and exchange rate isn't something EVGA has control of.

On another note, what if you had made this transaction while CAD was rising? Would you be here complaining that you gained $36 from your credit card company due to exchange rate changes? Nope. This is a random thing. Sometimes you gain money. Sometimes you lose money. EVGA gained no money from this transaction. Your credit card company is the one who gained the difference.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

tommyv2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 12:44:46 (permalink)
I called customer support and they explained it to me. The credit card "credit hold", the one that acts like you'd expect, only applies to US residents. Elsewhere you pay the full collateral for cross-shipments. Wish someone told me that ahead of time so I wouldn't have bothered. Sounds like a great process until this happens.

So, note to EVGA techs - please inform your non-US RMA customers that this might happen when doing an advanced exchange. Whether the amount is higher or lower, we should know that it might happen ahead of time.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 12:55:46 (permalink)
The $36 Canadian, is probably a fee from your CC company for a foreign purchase and Not exchange rate fluctuation.

Many CC companies charge 1% to 3% fee, when you make out of country purchases; both ways in your case.

If you card was charged and Not just a hold ---> this should have been made clear at time of purchase.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

tommyv2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 13:00:33 (permalink)
I agree. If only I had known it was going to be a charge and not just a hold, I would have just sent it and waited for the replacement normally. Anyway, life lesson learned.

JosephL
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 662
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Very disappointed in Advanced Exchange RMA process - got hit with exchange rate issues 2016/09/27 14:23:34 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby tommyv2 2016/09/27 14:38:44
I am very sorry that this has happened to you. Unfortunately EVGA does not have any control over a government's exchange rate regulation changes. In some cases you may end up with a loss and in others, a gain.

Some of our customers have had success in contacting their credit card company directly for a resolution. I highly recommend giving this a try for anyone who finds themselves in this situation.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile