VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti

Author
Muezick
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 305
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/05 08:10:12 (permalink)
So I guess there just aren't any Maxwell cards with VRM and Vram thermal gauges installed, meaning if I want to know what these things are, I have to go through some pretty elaborate means to find precise temps.

Anybody know why this is?

I am only curious because I am trying to decide if a custom loop is actually worth it. The Corsair HG10 N980 hybrid bracket is releasing later this month, but it like the Hybrid EVGA makes themselves, only the GPU is liquid cooled. Lots of people are reporting great temps with their hybrid, but are they really that great? The core temp might be fine, but what are the VRM and Vram temps? GM200 boards tend to run really damn hot, and with only air cooling the VRMs and Vram in hybrid set ups, is the performance as high as it could be? Or as stable?

I understand full custom loops with water blocks solves this issue by cooling the VRMs, Vram and GPU with water. I have very little experience with this as I have only ever just accepted the pre-installed air heat sink on any GPU I have ever bought. But I'm getting a 980 Ti on Thursday and going forward I'd really like to push that sucker as hard as I can, so am I going to NEED a custom loop to do that? Just to be clear, I'm not trying to bench anything, this is strictly for gaming performance.

8 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2015/09/05 09:07:00 (permalink)
    When using the HG10 or the Hybrid kit solution, the vrm and the VRAM have air actively moving over them to pull heat away. It is still a passive heat sink, but the hybrid is very specifically set up so that the stock heatsinks are moving air across the vital components.

Why the hybrid is good for normal gaming: when you overclock the core, the AIO I'd actively pulling the temperatures down on the core. The vrm is receiving up very little extra voltage to drive the core up to the 1.212v area where the card is happy and can get maximum boosts. The heat output is slightly higher from the vrm, but it isn't a massive difference.

When it comes to memory, you aren't adding voltage to the memory, just a frequency boost. So, they will generate ever so slightly more heat than stock. This isn't so much a challenge anymore, because the core isn't competing for cool air since the air is pulling it away through a separate means.

For the hybrid, the only thing being changed is the AIO on the core and the shroud.

With the hg10, you are removing all stock items including the heat plate, and installing it on the card. It becomes it's own stock version of the cooler, and it DOES NOT have a cover that direct a the air over the memory like the stock cooler does. It will probably still function very very well.

Which is a better choice? It really depends.. Do you have an ACX card? If so, the hybrid won't work for you, as it doesn't have the critical stock components. The HG10 would serve much better. If you have a Nvidia reference cooler, the hybrid would probably be the better option as it will direct more air over the memory.

Is either bad? Absolutely not. Both remove the heat of the core from the equation where it generates the absolute most heat. The memory on the Titan X, 780 6gb, 760 4gb, (and so on and so forth) with memory modules on the back of the card often don't even have a heat spreader on them or airflow going over them. Therefore, it shows that as long as you aren't trying to force a ton of memory voltage or extremely high frequencies, they will be fine with the cooling power of the hg10 or he hybrid.

If you want to specifically measure them directly, you will need thermal probes in them. They aren't typically installed by Nvidia or manufacturers, because the only case where they need to be directly monitored is the times where extreme overclocking is involved.. If you are using an AIO, you aren't going extreme.
    Muezick
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 305
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2015/09/05 09:20:57 (permalink)
    Yeah I am getting the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ version (4991) from a step up. So while I could probably buy a stock cooler and bastardize it together with the Hybrid cooler, it would just be more cost effective to buy the HG10 N980 and like a Corsair H100i or something.

I am just getting into all this, so I wasn't sure how absolutely important VRM and vram temps were, but I've seen thermal imagery showing both get absurdly hot on the Titan X and 980 Ti, but those are with stock coolers, which admittedly, work very well for what they are.

I see what you mean about the Hybrid kit vs the HG10 N980, I was honestly concerned about that, but if you don't think it'll be a huge difference, then I'll probably just go with the HG10 N980.

A custom loop + Water block is so luxury at this point, it would take me much longer to save up for and install one. The HG10 N980 should retail at 40 bucks and I can get a Corsair H100i for 85 bucks. Less than half the cost of a custom loop, and never mind maintaining it.

Okay thanks Scarlet, as always you are very helpful. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2015/09/05 09:35:19 (permalink)
    I had typed more, but ran out of WiFi time on the flight I am on. We are on the ground now, so I can finish :-)

This is the part in quotes

"if you run thermal probes, you would need them to be as close to the memory or vrm as possible... I haven't installed them but I know they are in my LN2 pots, and they are right under the copper section that touched the core. If the probe is metallic and touching the vrm, you chance shorting the vrm and the probe with electricity. My suggest for that would be to measure with a laser temp gauge on the back side of the board. You can get a good idea of how temps are reacting that way, without invasive probes being installed. "

For the hybrid, it is $99 for the 980 version.. The 980, 980ti, and Titan X are all exactly the same, except EVGA is foolish in charging $109 for the 980ti and TitanX, where the only difference the the label on the shroud. Ignore the 980 label, and you can save $20 on getting a 980 shroud and it will work 100% the exact same as the 980ti hybrid kit.

Granted, if you get the hybrid, it is only a single radiator rather than dual radiator like the H110 series radiator. This will not change your temps all that much though, maybe a couple of degrees. At that point, it still becomes choice for you.

Either way, you will be happy :-)
    shafi_amazon
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2016/04/23 10:14:59 (permalink)
    a quick question is it possible or not possible to view vram temp on evga 980 ti hybrid ?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2016/04/23 10:19:30 (permalink)
    shafi_amazon
    a quick question is it possible or not possible to view vram temp on evga 980 ti hybrid ?
    I have never seen VRAM Temps listed anywhere. Vrm's are visible on the classified and kingpin as far as I remember.
    shafi_amazon
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2016/04/23 12:08:41 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    shafi_amazon
    I have never seen VRAM Temps listed anywhere. Vrm's are visible on the classified and kingpin as far as I remember.

so, there is no way of knowing the vram temps?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2016/04/23 14:05:22 (permalink)
    shafi_amazon
    Scarlet-Tech
    shafi_amazon

so, there is no way of knowing the vram temps?

As stated higher up in this thread, you can measure them yourself using an appropriate thermometer. No, there is no built-in means available to measure using software.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: VRM and Vram temps on Maxwell/980 Ti 2016/04/23 14:27:06 (permalink)
    So, you can't measure the VRAM temps?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile