Author
Kamarad
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2062
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2016/02/04 05:45:47 (permalink)
Howdy everyone!

I have this strange issues.  So, I have a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 motherboard with a Corsair Vengeance C70 case.  Well, the front USB 3.0 headers are a little wonky.  Now, I have verified that the issue is the same on different front ports that I had laying around, so I am sure the issue lies with the motherboard, but I don't want to RMA this thing if I don't have to (it is such a pain).

Ok, so the left USB 3.0 port works just fine, that isn't the issue.  The right one, however, has really weird issues.  Ex: When I first plug in an external 2.5 hard drive, the right will work initially, but with no windows sound that one was plugged in.  Then, if I try plugging it back in a few days later, it will show power but not be seen by Windows.  Some USB 3.0 memory sticks will work, some won't, and the same one may work one day but not the next.  I did notice that my USB 3.0 external 3.5 enclosure with separate wall power did work when I plugged it in (along with a different powered hard drive that I had).  Therefore, I think it is power related.  Is there anything in the UEFI BIOS that I could to to add some juice to the front headers, or it that a bad idea and this is just the nature of USB 3.0 front ports (I have a hard time believing that one since my old computer with a USB 3.0 card in it with the header connection on it had no issues with the USB 3.0 front headers).

Any help would be awesome!

9 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/04 06:14:37 (permalink)
    Are you using Windows 7? If you are then there is a Service called Windows Driver Foundation. SP-1 changed it from Automatic to Manual and it needs to be changed back to Automatic through a Registry mod. Sometimes it changes itself back to manual without any rhyme or reason and I have to edit my registry again every now and then. When it reverts back to Manual I always get an error whenever I try to use a USB flash drive as the driver fails to load.
    Kamarad
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/04 13:05:54 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Are you using Windows 7? If you are then there is a Service called Windows Driver Foundation. SP-1 changed it from Automatic to Manual and it needs to be changed back to Automatic through a Registry mod. Sometimes it changes itself back to manual without any rhyme or reason and I have to edit my registry again every now and then. When it reverts back to Manual I always get an error whenever I try to use a USB flash drive as the driver fails to load.

Naw, it's Windows 10.

deFiniLoGy
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/04 19:17:39 (permalink)
    Mine have exactly the same problem, but it works fine when connected to the back USB ports.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/05 04:58:47 (permalink)
    Hopefully it is just a poor connection and reseating the connector will fix it but you probably already tried that. Changing motherboards for RMA can be tedious and a general PITA. And then the waiting game begins. Tick-------tock, tick---------------tock, as time crawls to a standstill while you sit and wait for the replacement to arrive. I used to end up climbing the walls so I decided to always have a cheap spare motherboard on hand at all times. Apparently keeping a spare motherboard handy also appeases the technology gods since I haven't had a motherboard fail since I started doing it. I consider my still in box never been used ASRock Z97 Killer motherboard my good luck charm. It can't run SLI but it does keep the demons away.
    NO_sauce
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/05 06:31:08 (permalink)
    EVGA does have an upgraded RMA called Cross-Ship. They do have to charge collateral on the MSRP of the replacement but it speed up the process quite a bit and you receive a refund when they get the busted motherboard. It's worth checking out the terms on the website. Unfortunately I don't yet have the ability to post links to anything yet! But its easy to find under support.

If you have a moment, please rate my service  Agent: Joseph L
    Kamarad
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/07 04:54:50 (permalink)
    NO_sauce
    EVGA does have an upgraded RMA called Cross-Ship. They do have to charge collateral on the MSRP of the replacement but it speed up the process quite a bit and you receive a refund when they get the busted motherboard. It's worth checking out the terms on the website. Unfortunately I don't yet have the ability to post links to anything yet! But its easy to find under support.

That's if I had an EVGA board, lol.  Mine is a Gigabyte.  Plus, it's not the RMA process itself, it's just having to pull everything off the motherboard, removing my water cooler, etc.

Zuhl3156
    Hopefully it is just a poor connection and reseating the connector will fix it but you probably already tried that. Changing motherboards for RMA can be tedious and a general PITA. And then the waiting game begins. Tick-------tock, tick---------------tock, as time crawls to a standstill while you sit and wait for the replacement to arrive. I used to end up climbing the walls so I decided to always have a cheap spare motherboard on hand at all times. Apparently keeping a spare motherboard handy also appeases the technology gods since I haven't had a motherboard fail since I started doing it. I consider my still in box never been used ASRock Z97 Killer motherboard my good luck charm. It can't run SLI but it does keep the demons away.

I really wish it was just a poor connection.  I'll do some more research on the net.  Maybe there is a way to add some power, or maybe there is a power connection for those ports I am missing, so I still look.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/07 05:07:24 (permalink)
    The only way to eliminate the motherboard as the culprit would be to find one of those USB port addons that fit in a 5 1/4" bay that would plug into the same motherboard header.
    Kamarad
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/07 05:57:41 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    The only way to eliminate the motherboard as the culprit would be to find one of those USB port addons that fit in a 5 1/4" bay that would plug into the same motherboard header.

Did that, both sets of ports have the same issue.  So, I know it's the motherboard.  My main goal is to try to fix it with a setting or something else I could be missing before considering RMA (which is like, Plan Z).

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB 3.0 Front Ports Acting Weird 2016/02/07 06:12:07 (permalink)
    I vote for plan Z even though it is making me cringe just thinking about it. I think I am going to need to tear this thing down to the bare motherboard just to install my new EK-Supremacy EVO CPU block. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am NOT looking forward to it in the least. I will reach the big Six-Oh on March 1 and it is finally beginning to sink in just how old I really am. Oh, woe is me!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile