EVGA

Too late for Step-Up Program?

Author
dogbyte
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/05/29 09:27:07 (permalink)
I purchased a 980 ti on Feb 25th 2016. I missed the cutoff date for the Step-Up for the 1080 by 2 days. Is there any chance I can still use the Step-Up program for the 1080 or is the 90 cutoff date absolute?

13 Replies Related Threads

dogbyte
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/05/29 13:58:09 (permalink)
    That's too bad. I was hoping there would be some flexibility in the name of good customer service.
    serqblood
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/06/01 06:29:25 (permalink)
    I bought my gtx 980 ti 28th of February and missed the step up program with couple of hours.it's hard to describe how I feel with words right now..
    mintyfruits
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/06/01 06:34:37 (permalink)
    Good customer service is that they offer this service at all anyway. And don't forget EVGA doesn't control when Nvidia releases their cards, so it's kind of a wild card for them. Last year the cards didn't make release till mid June. It definitely sucks, and I feel for you, but unfortunately that's just the way the dice rolls sometimes.
    vogt2385
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/06/01 12:43:26 (permalink)
    Yup, same situation here. They offered the 1080 for step-up 4 days after mine expired. I didn't think it'd be a big deal if this were to happen. I was planning on selling the 980 and using the money to buy a 1080 if I fell outside the step-up window. This plan seems impossible now that early performance reviews are coming out. $379 for a 1070 with better overall performance than a card I just paid $500 for? Ouch...

Either way, this really has nothing to do with EVGA since nVidia dictates the releases of their GPUs. I'll be holding onto my 980 for as long as possible and see how future cards turn out. :)
    post edited by vogt2385 - 2016/06/01 13:29:29
    mintyfruits
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/06/01 13:47:38 (permalink)
    Dang, sorry to hear that. :/ Unfortunately that's the way PC part market goes... and for that matter most technology in general. As a rule Nvidia releases stuff during the May-July months so any of us who buy cards before that time are kind of in for it. >.<
    Neomis77
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/08/28 00:16:37 (permalink)
    EVGA Step-up is not good customer service, It will be the last time I Use this "Program" EVGA is only in it to keep the flow of cash going on older cards, I knew 1080 was coming out and I read the EVGA step-up, and bought my card based on It... From what EVGA tells you it's worth it, that's what they want you to think, so you will do what I did! I will explain why and exactly what is happening to me.
    No where does it mention that your step up card is a "Special batch"(EVGA told me this when I asked why I'm in que when i can buy it new) and that when your card is available for purchase and others can purchase it you will still be waiting in the que for it, yes I can Buy one at FULL price, but oh no, my Step up card is "Special" is it a higher clock? is it a premium batch...? Nope... so what you might ask?! from what it sounds like dealing with EVGA it's a Used or refurbished card that another member returned, makes sense that I can't get a new one yet, they need the problem cards first, because it was damaged, and they fixed it up,(if you're lucky) so I'm waiting to turn in my brand new gtx980ti FTW, It sounds like I'm getting a Hopefully working card... this is my opinion yes, but based on educated information From EVGA, and or lack of, but what other reason does EVGA hold back these cards, I was told by one EVGA rep that it could be because others were in the Que longer, I know that in my case that isn't true, because I was one of the guys that spam clicked the site as it crashed on release day over and over until i could finally get in, checking day after day, on the Hour to make sure I got in as one of the First, so far I have seen two occasions where My "Upgrade" was available to purchase new at full price, but I'm still In the Que for step-up... Hmm explain please EVGA, why would you knowingly sell these cards when you have a person in que for 4 Months!!! the few times I used the EVGA warranty, that's what I got back, another board with issues, it worked enough to pass evga's tests exchange to me, so when i opened the generic black box that had no retail labeling I could tell the board was used, I could boot but had TONS of USB errors so i exchanged again, on another, PCIE errors, unlucky? how did I solve this? I bought a new board! yay! I can say though my dad used the warranty program once, and it worked for him, I did it for him, he got a nice card and still working to replace his damaged one, so it's hit or miss...
    post edited by Neomis77 - 2016/08/28 01:43:10
    Skarlen
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/08/28 10:30:42 (permalink)
    Neomis77
    EVGA Step-up is not good customer service, It will be the last time I Use this "Program" EVGA is only in it to keep the flow of cash going on older cards, I knew 1080 was coming out and I read the EVGA step-up, and bought my card based on It... From what EVGA tells you it's worth it, that's what they want you to think, so you will do what I did! I will explain why and exactly what is happening to me.
    No where does it mention that your step up card is a "Special batch"(EVGA told me this when I asked why I'm in que when i can buy it new) and that when your card is available for purchase and others can purchase it you will still be waiting in the que for it, yes I can Buy one at FULL price, but oh no, my Step up card is "Special" is it a higher clock? is it a premium batch...? Nope... so what you might ask?! from what it sounds like dealing with EVGA it's a Used or refurbished card that another member returned, makes sense that I can't get a new one yet, they need the problem cards first, because it was damaged, and they fixed it up,(if you're lucky) so I'm waiting to turn in my brand new gtx980ti FTW, It sounds like I'm getting a Hopefully working card... this is my opinion yes, but based on educated information From EVGA, and or lack of, but what other reason does EVGA hold back these cards, I was told by one EVGA rep that it could be because others were in the Que longer, I know that in my case that isn't true, because I was one of the guys that spam clicked the site as it crashed on release day over and over until i could finally get in, checking day after day, on the Hour to make sure I got in as one of the First, so far I have seen two occasions where My "Upgrade" was available to purchase new at full price, but I'm still In the Que for step-up... Hmm explain please EVGA, why would you knowingly sell these cards when you have a person in que for 4 Months!!! the few times I used the EVGA warranty, that's what I got back, another board with issues, it worked enough to pass evga's tests exchange to me, so when i opened the generic black box that had no retail labeling I could tell the board was used, I could boot but had TONS of USB errors so i exchanged again, on another, PCIE errors, unlucky? how did I solve this? I bought a new board! yay! I can say though my dad used the warranty program once, and it worked for him, I did it for him, he got a nice card and still working to replace his damaged one, so it's hit or miss...

A percentage of new stock is put aside for step ups. All stepped up cards are still new cards.

They make more money from selling cards at retail than they do from the step up program so the cards go to retail as a priority, its simple good business. They still exist to make money at the end of the day like all companies.

You're lucky they offer it at all, but next time feel free to buy from another vendor because that'll be one less person ahead of me in the queue :D 
    Neomis77
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/08/29 01:01:55 (permalink)
    Skarlen
    Neomis77

A percentage of new stock is put aside for step ups. All stepped up cards are still new cards.

They make more money from selling cards at retail than they do from the step up program so the cards go to retail as a priority, its simple good business. They still exist to make money at the end of the day like all companies.

You're lucky they offer it at all, but next time feel free to buy from another vendor because that'll be one less person ahead of me in the queue :D 

The point was I would have just waited if I'd known I'd be waiting 4+ months extra to begin with, I was close to release and could have used my 680 FTW for 2 more months and paid the same price and gotten the Sc or ftw for what I paid for my 980 TI FTW. What was the name of The EVGA associate or article you read that confirms this? I'm just curious because I've chatted online once with EVGA and sent a few emails back and forth and this was never explained to me in this way. of course they make more from a Retail card then on a trade in, but that's a given and part of the EVGA Business Model. They made money quicker from me not waiting, and hopefully invested it wisely... I'm curious who is ahead of me in this que, I spent every 10 minutes refreshing the EVGA site to get in the que the second it was available... more needs to be disclosed in the EVGA step-up program article, or at least in the [link=mailto:Q@A]Q@A [/link]section of that article to break it down so people aren't hanging for months on end. not to mention the training they lack if you're correct on the percentage I wasn't told about, at least they should explain what they mean by "Different batch" then what they sell retail, assuming the only difference is they allocate, but according to what end, they need the money that badly now that they make a first day step up wait 4+ months... either way, not cool.
    post edited by Neomis77 - 2016/08/29 01:03:14
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/08/29 15:27:38 (permalink)
    Dear Neomis77,

I am very sorry for any confusion as I can confirm that the Step-up program only receives new stock.  Please understand that the reason you had trouble loading our site when submitting your Step-up online was the number of or customers trying to submit their Step-ups and their online orders.  I assure you that we do our best to move all of our customers through the Step-up queues as quickly as we can and please understand that the demand on the Step-up model requested is very high leading to delays.

My offer that I sent you previously to move forward with the card originally requested was turned down and with that being said I assure you that once you reach the front of the Step-up queue for the current model requested then you will be notified through email.

If you should need any help with a RMA on a product then we do offer 24 hour technical support at 1-888-881-3842 Option 1 or by email at Support@EVGA.com and please keep in mind that PCI-e lanes are usually controlled by the CPU and would not necessarily be the fault of the motherboard.

Neomis77
    Skarlen
    Neomis77

The point was I would have just waited if I'd known I'd be waiting 4+ months extra to begin with, I was close to release and could have used my 680 FTW for 2 more months and paid the same price and gotten the Sc or ftw for what I paid for my 980 TI FTW. What was the name of The EVGA associate or article you read that confirms this? I'm just curious because I've chatted online once with EVGA and sent a few emails back and forth and this was never explained to me in this way. of course they make more from a Retail card then on a trade in, but that's a given and part of the EVGA Business Model. They made money quicker from me not waiting, and hopefully invested it wisely... I'm curious who is ahead of me in this que, I spent every 10 minutes refreshing the EVGA site to get in the que the second it was available... more needs to be disclosed in the EVGA step-up program article, or at least in the [link=mailto:Q@A]Q@A [/link]section of that article to break it down so people aren't hanging for months on end. not to mention the training they lack if you're correct on the percentage I wasn't told about, at least they should explain what they mean by "Different batch" then what they sell retail, assuming the only difference is they allocate, but according to what end, they need the money that badly now that they make a first day step up wait 4+ months... either way, not cool.

Neomis77
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/09/23 22:45:24 (permalink)
    Another month goes by and still my step-up is in Que, you think the Gtx 1080Ti will be out soon?
    lebel
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 224
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/09/24 15:13:32 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AndrewA
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums

Unfortunately since you are out of the 90 Days Step-Up window you will not be eligible and we cannot extend the time frame allowed passed the 90 days. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. 

EVGATech_AndrewA
    dogbyte
    That's too bad. I was hoping there would be some flexibility in the name of good customer service.

We have to give all of our customers the same service and policy guidelines when it comes to our Step-Up Program. Again, I do apologize.

EVGA has bent the rules before to help out a fellow gamer, this is from a post labeled "EVGA extended my step up" from the overclockers forum, albeit many moons ago :)

So two days ago on the 23rd I sent an e-mail to EVGA customer support asking if they could extend my step up just to the beginning of April. I really wanted the step up to a new 9800GTX for free, but my step up ends on the 27th.
    After two days without reply, I figured that my request had been rejected. I just logged into my e-mail account though to find this. :beer:

Thank you for contacting the EVGA Customer Service Team.
    My name is Gabriel Perez and I will be answering your question today. Please do not reply to this email, submit any follow up questions here
    Question (3/23/2008 8:20:52 PM): I was wondering if it would be possible to allow me to step-up to a 9800GTX when it come out in just a few days. I am worried that my step-up which ends on March 27 may be over just before the 9800GTX is released. I was hoping that if at all possible, my step-up could be extended just a few days if the 9800GTX comes out after the 27th. Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.
    Answered By Gabriel P (3/25/2008 4:06:59 PM): Hello Ryan, we can give you an extension for your step up program but we will not be able to extend your step up beyond 14 days.

Sure, it's a short answer, but it really made my day. Gabriel could have just told me "No," and not wasted her time for me. Instead, she chose to help me out. Even if it only took an extra minute, this gesture from Gabriel and EVGA's customer service really surprised me. I expected a copy and paste response saying "Sorry, no," but instead got a real person's response (albeit short) and had my problem taken care of. A+ to EVGA, Gabriel P. and the other customer support reps who are willing to take that extra minute for people. Sorry if I seem like I'm making a big deal out of this, it just makes me real happy to see that not all companies shove their customers to the side.

Edit: It seems when you read down through the post it can be somewhat discretionary. Not a fan of this type of face fits approach. Maybe I can offer my step up in lue if EVGA isnt willing to offer a similar service like the one posted?
    post edited by lebel - 2016/09/24 15:32:42

Phanteks Evolve ATX TG / Asus Z170 Pro / I7 6700K delid-Liquid Pro / Corsair H115i push-pull / 32gb Corsair 3000mhz / Asus Strix 1080 A8G / 3 x Samsung Evo 500gb / Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w / ASUS ROG PG279
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/09/24 17:16:28 (permalink)
    lebel
    .... lue if EVGA isnt willing to offer a similar service like the one posted?

The post was from 2008. A lot changed in 8 years. There hasn't been any leeway in the 90 days in a very long time.
    lebel
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 224
    Re: Too late for Step-Up Program? 2016/09/24 22:04:00 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    lebel
    .... lue if EVGA isnt willing to offer a similar service like the one posted?

The post was from 2008. A lot changed in 8 years. There hasn't been any leeway in the 90 days in a very long time.

Yep, were all 8 years older, the price of bread has gone up and people have become less tolerant.
    post edited by lebel - 2016/09/24 22:05:18

Phanteks Evolve ATX TG / Asus Z170 Pro / I7 6700K delid-Liquid Pro / Corsair H115i push-pull / 32gb Corsair 3000mhz / Asus Strix 1080 A8G / 3 x Samsung Evo 500gb / Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w / ASUS ROG PG279
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile