EVGA

To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs!

Author
IMPORTEKNIKAICR
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 208
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/06/12 18:56:01 (permalink)
UPDATE: The decision has been made. I have parted ways with my [2] EVGA Titan Black Superclocked Signature Editions and welcomed [1] EVGA Titan X Hybrid.  For now.  
->

Hello EVGA! It has been more than a year since my last visit and I am back with some updates, upgrades and request for advice!  So, I am in the process of upgrading my system.  Actually, scratch that, more like replacing my system.  The question is, I am currently running [2] EVGA Titan Black SC Signature Edition GPUs.  Should I sell the pair and replace with [2] EVGA Titan X Hybrids when back in stock?  The reason why I ask is this.  I noticed that with my current CPU (i7-2600k OC @ 4.6 GHz), it appears to be a major source for bottleneck and thus, my [2] Titan Black SC in SLI are working harder, especially in 4K gaming.  As a result my temps are consistently in the high 70s.   However, if you scroll down to the 2nd picture (WOO-HOO! SO EXCITED!), I am building a significantly newer and more powerful system which I expect to alleviate the CPU bottleneck.  With that in mind, would the newer components run 4K gaming more efficiently, alleviating the excessive stress and heat production on the pair of Titan Blacks or am I fighting a losing battle which can only be resolved with water-cooling by way of [2] Titan X Hybrids?  As always, thank you wonderful citizens of the EVGA community for your support and advice. 

EXIT:

CPU: Intel i7-2600k OC @ 4.6 GHz
COOLER: Corsair Hydro H100
MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 MHz
CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos-S
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 1000W

ENTER:

CPU: Intel i7-5930k
COOLER: Corsair Hydro H110i GT
MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme U3.1
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666 MHz
CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2
post edited by IMPORTEKNIKAICR - 2015/07/03 16:26:09

Attached Image(s)

CPU: Intel i7-5930K | Corsair H115i Platinum | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 X99 | RAM: 128GB Corsair Dominator Platinum GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N | DISPLAY: 3x LG 4K 32" | CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos C700M | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2

12 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/12 19:00:31 (permalink)
    If you can wait and be patient, realize these are the most demanded cards out for evga right now, then I highly suggest them. Nothing to do with TitanX 980ti or 980 fights, just the hybrid itself. They are a great choice to create them by EVGA.

I can't wait to see this online.
    IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/12 19:06:39 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    If you can wait and be patient, realize these are the most demanded cards out for evga right now, then I highly suggest them. Nothing to do with TitanX 980ti or 980 fights, just the hybrid itself. They are a great choice to create them by EVGA.

I can't wait to see this online.

Thank you Scarlet! I actually had the opportunity a few weeks ago to purchase [2] Titan X Hybrids but I opted to wait for the rest of my components to arrive first. Now that the parts are here, I am in this conundrum.  I have a 4K monitor (Samsung U28D590D) and I purchased it specifically to experience 4K gaming.  Thus, I want to have the best performance without going the custom water-cooling route.  So I guess what you are telling me is to sell my [2] Titan Black SCs and upgrade to [2] Titan X Hybrids?  However, do you think I would see less stress and heat production on my [2] Titan Black SCs once I assemble the new system?

CPU: Intel i7-5930K | Corsair H115i Platinum | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 X99 | RAM: 128GB Corsair Dominator Platinum GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N | DISPLAY: 3x LG 4K 32" | CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos C700M | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/12 19:20:48 (permalink)
     Let me ask a dead serious question... can you get the Titan X Hybrids before selling the Titan Blacks?  if so, build your system, enjoy the Blacks until the X's arrive, and then take your time selling them, instead of a quick sell and losing some money.

The heat and stress isn't going to reduce because of the new cpu, it would just allow them to run at their potential, which may cause more heat.  They will be fine for now though.. the Hybrids will just give an even better performance and the extra VRAM will be awesome for all games.

IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/12 19:34:27 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
     Let me ask a dead serious question... can you get the Titan X Hybrids before selling the Titan Blacks?  if so, build your system, enjoy the Blacks until the X's arrive, and then take your time selling them, instead of a quick sell and losing some money.

The heat and stress isn't going to reduce because of the new cpu, it would just allow them to run at their potential, which may cause more heat.  They will be fine for now though.. the Hybrids will just give an even better performance and the extra VRAM will be awesome for all games.

Scarlet.  Yes, I have enough on the budget to upgrade to a pair of Titan X Hybrids.  By the way, that is an excellent suggestion.  Holding on to the Titan Blacks until the Titan X Hybrids arrive will allow me additional time to maximize the sale price.  I was worried that air cooling is just not efficient enough to reliably achieve efficient heat dissipation on 4K gaming.  At the same time, I am also not familiar and comfortable enough to attempt custom liquid cooling on my pair of Titan Blacks.  Thus, EVGA producing an AIO Titan X Hybrid is a game changer!  Thank you again!  I truly appreciate the advice!
    post edited by IMPORTEKNIKAICR - 2015/06/12 21:02:57

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/12 19:57:15 (permalink)
    I didn't have the knowledge or the confidence to water cool last year... now.. I don't like and won't use Air Coolers unless there is a limitation I can not overcome.  The hybrid is a great Gap Filler for those that want the water performance without the risk.

i bought my 780Ti Classifieds, and when I paid for them, I got a notice that EKWB had waterblocks... and I went crazy ordering stuff.. I love it.. Watercooling is so much fun.  I love making guides, and talking about it.  

My suggestion, depending on the brand of the Titan Blacks you have (EVGA [this is my guess], MSI, ASUS) I would just refresh the thermal paste, and check the thermal pads, and then Game on like I was meant to abuse them until the Titan X comes in. Quite frankly, the warranty is too good to worry about too much stuff.. I love EVGA warranties, and they actually just helped me get back online after getting a dead card. 

With the reference cooler, I have never taken one apart, but they aren't hard to take apart and clean everything and get it refreshed.  

IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/13 08:01:07 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I didn't have the knowledge or the confidence to water cool last year... now.. I don't like and won't use Air Coolers unless there is a limitation I can not overcome.  The hybrid is a great Gap Filler for those that want the water performance without the risk.

i bought my 780Ti Classifieds, and when I paid for them, I got a notice that EKWB had waterblocks... and I went crazy ordering stuff.. I love it.. Watercooling is so much fun.  I love making guides, and talking about it.  

My suggestion, depending on the brand of the Titan Blacks you have (EVGA [this is my guess], MSI, ASUS) I would just refresh the thermal paste, and check the thermal pads, and then Game on like I was meant to abuse them until the Titan X comes in. Quite frankly, the warranty is too good to worry about too much stuff.. I love EVGA warranties, and they actually just helped me get back online after getting a dead card. 

With the reference cooler, I have never taken one apart, but they aren't hard to take apart and clean everything and get it refreshed.  

I now realize that air cooling for today's modern high-end graphics cards is just not efficient enough for the demands of overclocking and 4K gaming.  Thank you for the advice on refreshing.  Yes, my Titan Black SCs are EVGA.  However, I may just use and leave them as is until they are sold.  Unfortunately, I do not have the time for the refresh and I believe I can sell them with less concerns knowing that I have never disassembled them.  One day, I hope to do enough research to competently and confidently build a full water-cooling system.  In the meantime, I will have to settle with AIO solutions, which are becoming increasingly common with the demand of today's technology.

nunzmon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/13 08:16:58 (permalink)
    I have 2 titan x Hybrids & love them. my temps never go over 45c with a 1380 core speed  & they are very quiet
    post edited by nunzmon - 2015/06/13 08:19:19

Asus Rampage IV blk 4930k @ 4.6 1.29v
    4x4g corsair Dominator gt ram 2400 9.11.11.31 1t
    NVidia Titan XP hybrid Asus pg348q monitor
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/13 08:46:13 (permalink)
    IMPORTEKNIKAICR

I now realize that air cooling for today's modern high-end graphics cards is just not efficient enough for the demands of overclocking and 4K gaming.  Thank you for the advice on refreshing.  Yes, my Titan Black SCs are EVGA.  However, I may just use and leave them as is until they are sold.  Unfortunately, I do not have the time for the refresh and I believe I can sell them with less concerns knowing that I have never disassembled them.  One day, I hope to do enough research to competently and confidently build a full water-cooling system.  In the meantime, I will have to settle with AIO solutions, which are becoming increasingly common with the demand of today's technology.

When ever yo get to that point, if you want help, there are lots of people here that will help without even batting an eye.
    IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/13 08:46:20 (permalink)
    nunzmon
    I have 2 titan x Hybrids & love them. my temps never go over 45c with a 1380 core speed  & they are very quiet

Thank you for the feedback.  It is definitely helping me to justify the switch from the Titan Black SCs to Titan X Hybrids!

IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/06/13 08:50:49 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    IMPORTEKNIKAICR

When ever yo get to that point, if you want help, there are lots of people here that will help without even batting an eye.

I know it man.  This is exactly why I love the community here at EVGA.  Having a knowledgeable support staff at EVGA plus a supportive and helpful forum community are an added bonus to an already incredible product line.  Barring any reasons otherwise, my GPUs will always be from EVGA.  I just picked up the EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2 PSU for this build.  My first EVGA PSU.  Hopefully, it will make a positive first impression.  I cannot wait to try it out!

IMPORTEKNIKAICR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/07/03 16:17:09 (permalink)
    I have decided to...

HYBRID!

Attached Image(s)

Star-Lord
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: To Hybrid OR Not to Hybrid? That Is the Question My Good Sirs! 2015/07/04 11:20:26 (permalink)
    I sure hope someone reads this....I wanted to run Quad SLI Titan X but I'm not sure which of the Titan X to purchase. 
    These are the components I have so far for my build:
    128GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Series DDR4
    Asus X99 Deluxe Mobo
    Coolmaster Cosmos II Full-Tower Case (If you have a better case in mind let me know)
    EVGA Super Nova 1600 watt T2 Power Supply
    I7 5960X 
    4 x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD's 
    My hopes are to build one Insane Ultimate PC. If you can give any information on what I need to get or to change it would be very helpful. I was hoping to build something like this but much much better.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile