AnsweredTitan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 28
Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/04/30 19:55:07 (permalink)
Duck_smith
Guess what I got today!

I feel like installing them right now, but...
I think I'll have to wait till tomorrow or the weekend :(

I feel like I may have to mod the housing to get these to fit inside the current Titan X casing, don't feel like using the provided 980 cover.

You could have at least opened one of them

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Avenger411
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 632
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/04/30 20:06:20 (permalink)
Duck_smith
Guess what I got today!

I feel like installing them right now, but...
I think I'll have to wait till tomorrow or the weekend :(

I feel like I may have to mod the housing to get these to fit inside the current Titan X casing, don't feel like using the provided 980 cover.

Hey!

Sweet keep us updated!

Max
Duck_smith
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/04/30 20:15:55 (permalink)
More updates to come, probably around 6pm AZ time tomorrow.

I'll also be using some Arctic Silver 5 instead of the pre-applied thermal compound.

bcavnaugh

You could have at least opened one of them

Got to keep up the suspense man!

Plus I didn't want to make a mess, and have to re-package everything
Chris21010
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1587
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/04/30 21:02:02 (permalink)
i purchased mine within minutes of getting the auto notify message at 12:30am EST. but alas i will not get it in my hands till monday, YAY east coast!

astrallite
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/04/30 22:25:16 (permalink)
Meh finally got tired of 5 weeks of waiting with no ETA on Amazon on bought it from EVGA on Wednesday when the AIO cooler was in stock and paid for 2nd day Air Shipping.

Of course...of course...I knew I've been spoiled been Amazon's 2nd day shipping is 2nd day. So I shouldn't be complaining that it takes 5 days to deliver 2nd day air because thats par for the course for most online purchases.

But the sad thing is the AIO cooler is shipping from a couple hours drive from where I am. I could literally pick it up faster than it's going to take to get here. The other sad thing is I paid for 2nd day Air but didn't know the shipping center was within driving distance of me. So obviously--and I confirmed with UPS--that it's actually just shipping UPS Ground so it'll take 5 days to circle its way to me in slow motion (since unlike Amazon, EVGA doesn't pay the surcharge for Saturday delivery on 2nd day air)--and I'll have to wait 2 weeks until the following weekend before I have time to install this. Meh x 1000.

Meh. Damn you Amazon! Why can't you get some leverage for EVGA to deliver some stock to you! Then I can actually get things on time. 

Chris21010
i purchased mine within minutes of getting the auto notify message at 12:30am EST. but alas i will not get it in my hands till monday, YAY east coast!

Hey better than me buddy. I ordered a day before you, paid for air shipping, and I can drive and make 50 round trips from home to the shipment origin center before it'll be delivered to me, lmao. And I still won't get it before you.
post edited by astrallite - 2015/04/30 22:40:00
subn3t
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/01 13:31:57 (permalink)
First post! Though I've done a bit of lurking.

Well, I got my AIO coolers in the mail yesterday. I was originally going to wait until the weekend, but I opened up one of them and started admiring it. One thing led to another and before I knew it:

I hope EVGA makes the Titan X shroud available for the Titan X owners who bought ones with 980 printed on them.
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/01 13:52:24 (permalink)
I've seen a number of people mention turning down the reference fan a great deal with the AIO installed. I understand that not having the radiator and GPU heat in there helps, but I too wonder what the VRM temps are running.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/01 13:56:52 (permalink)
subn3t

Well, I got my AIO coolers in the mail yesterday. I was originally going to wait until the weekend, but I opened up one of them and started admiring it. One thing led to another and before I knew it:

I hope EVGA makes the Titan X shroud available for the Titan X owners who bought ones with 980 printed on them.

The Titan shroud should be coming, I think. I was actually trying to find an actual X shroud to cut but have had no luck. My cooler arrives Wednesday.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
Duck_smith
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/01 14:03:31 (permalink)
Yah, I think I'm just going to use the provided shroud with the titan xs.

All I want to do is go home right now ( currently posting from work  )
subn3t
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/01 14:04:52 (permalink)
CoercionShaman
I've seen a number of people mention turning down the reference fan a great deal with the AIO installed. I understand that not having the radiator and GPU heat in there helps, but I too wonder what the VRM temps are running.

Since I went with a Corsair 450D, I pretty much gave up on the whole "silent PC" thing right then and there. The noise on my system is pretty manageable considering what's inside.
Duck_smith
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/01 22:45:56 (permalink)
OK, So I did both of them and it was a pain in the butt because there is like 5-6 different types of screws on the card ... I had to use a hex wrench instead of my really cool star bit because somebody ( not me ) broke the one I needed :'(

I'll post some inside pictures later, Im way tired from work and doing this - plus my camera battery needs to be recharged.

I does run a hell of a lot cooler tho.

astrallite
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 02:15:14 (permalink)
Which screws are you supposed to remove in order to get off the plastic cover to install this thing? I assume the only screws to remove are the ones on either side of the shroud, plus four on the backside to remove the heatsink? What kind of screwdriver is needed, just a Phillips or do I need a Torx screwdriver as well?
post edited by astrallite - 2015/05/02 02:31:08
subn3t
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 02:30:07 (permalink)
astrallite
Which screws are you supposed to remove in order to get off the plastic cover to install this thing? Which screws should you *NOT* remove? I assume you definitely should keep the two screws that are above the 3 screws on the output ports on, as I assume those screws keep the frontplate attached?

Also what screw drivers do you need? Just a T6 Torx and a phillips? I've looked at GTX 980 and GTX 780 NVTTM removal videos but some seem to have conflicting info on what screwdrivers are needed. Thanks!

I had to go to Home Depot and get a Husky micro-screwdriver kit to get my AIOs installed. Once I had that kit, it was not too bad.

The EVGA instructions skip some of the steps, at least if you're trying to remove a reference Titan cooler, which I thought was the exact same as the 980 reference cooler, so I'm not sure why the diagram didn't mention some of the screws.

First there are the 8 screws around the edge. You will need 5/64" hex to take off the larger silver ones. The smaller black ones need a 1/16" hex. You will need to apply a decent about of perpendicular force on the smaller ones while turning to prevent from stripping the screws.

Then there are the 4 around the fan, those will need the 1/16" hex. After those are off, you can then remove the left piece. It's a bit awkward and requires a little bit of force, but you need to lift up and out on the shroud (by the output ports). Once you have that off, go ahead and remove the 4 spring screws on the back and remove the heatsink (might take a little wiggling, the thermal compount is a little adhesive-y). Do not remove any more screws on the back.

You still need to remove the middle and right pieces of the shroud. Get a pair of needle-nose pliers and carefully remove the power header that powers the "GEFORCE GTX" LEDs. If I recall correctly, that middle piece is held in place by 4 very small phillips head screws, remove those and the middle piece will come off. Once you do that, you should expose 2-4 (sorry, I can't remember) more of those small screws. Remove those and the right chunk of the shroud should come off. You should not need to remove any screws near the output ports besides the couple that you removed in the very beginning.

Hope this helps!

post edited by subn3t - 2015/05/02 02:51:47
astrallite
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 02:37:36 (permalink)
subn3t
astrallite
Which screws are you supposed to remove in order to get off the plastic cover to install this thing? Which screws should you *NOT* remove? I assume you definitely should keep the two screws that are above the 3 screws on the output ports on, as I assume those screws keep the frontplate attached?

Also what screw drivers do you need? Just a T6 Torx and a phillips? I've looked at GTX 980 and GTX 780 NVTTM removal videos but some seem to have conflicting info on what screwdrivers are needed. Thanks!

I had to go to Home Depot and get up a Husky micro-screwdriver kit to get my AIOs installed. Once I had that kit, it was not too bad.

The EVGA instructions skip some of the steps, at least if you're trying to remove a reference Titan cooler, which I thought was the exact same as the 980 reference cooler, so I'm not sure why the diagram didn't mention some of the screws.

First there are the 8 screws around the edge. You will need 5/64" hex to take off the larger silver ones. The smaller black ones need a 1/16" hex. You will need to apply a decent about of perpendicular force on the smaller ones while turning to prevent from stripping the screws.

Then there are the 4 around the fan, those will need the 1/16" hex. After those are off, you can then remove the left piece. It's a bit awkward and requires a little bit of force, but you need to lift up and out on the shroud (by the output ports). Once you have that off, go ahead and remove the 4 spring screws on the back and remove the heatsink (might take a little wiggling, the thermal compount is a little adhesive-y). Do not remove any more screws on the back.

You still need to remove the middle and right pieces of the shroud. Get a pair of needle-nose pliers and carefully remove the power header that powers the "GEFORCE GTX" LEDs. If I recall correctly, that middle piece is held in place by 4 very small phillips head screws, remove those and the middle piece will come off. Once you do that, you should expose 2-4 (sorry, I can't remember) more of those small screws. Remove those and the right chunk of the shroud should come off. You should not need to remove any screws near the output ports besides the couple that you removed in the very beginning.

Hope this helps!

I see so what you are saying is the two screws above the trio on the output ports actually need to be removed? Thanks for all your help so far. Definitely gonna drop by Home Depot tomorrow
subn3t
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 02:47:28 (permalink)
astralliteI see so what you are saying is the two screws above the trio on the output ports actually need to be removed? Thanks for all your help so far. Definitely gonna drop by Home Depot tomorrow

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the two screws above the trio on the output ports. I noticed that Duck_smith removed the silver plate that connects to the back of the case and has the holes for DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI. I didn't need to remove that plate to install the AIO cooler.

Follow the EVGA diagram instructions for the first bit (remove 8 screws, then the 4 around the fan) up until the point where you remove the left piece of the shroud. After that, you'll still have a middle piece and a right piece to remove. It should be fairly obvious which screws are holding those pieces on. Definitely no need to remove screws around the output ports after you get the left piece of the shroud off. You just want to remove the stock shroud, not dismantle the entire stock cooling assembly. I'm off to bed, but if this still isn't clear, post back with pictures and I'll do my best to help in the morning.

Edit: also, underneath the right piece of the shroud is a little heatsink-looking thing. Do not try to remove that like you did for the larger heatsink that was over the GPU. The EVGA shroud goes right over top of that one.
post edited by subn3t - 2015/05/02 02:55:15
Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 06:23:08 (permalink)
Hey

It's looking good! Alot of crunchy info! Can't wait for my kit to finally arrive! Has anyone tried doing a push/pull config with custom fans. I think i read somewhere that using different fans fr the one providee can cause vibrations and weird noise. Anyone can confirm this ?

Max
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 06:33:20 (permalink)
Yes this is excellent cooler for TITAN X... Maybe EVGA should launch with shrouds without 980 number or TITAN X...
But anyway that's on the bottom and it's not visible.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 06:36:34 (permalink)
subn3t

That's Obsidian 450D?

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Duck_smith
Re: The Official Titan X and HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Thread 2015/05/02 11:21:10 (permalink)
astrallite
Which screws are you supposed to remove in order to get off the plastic cover to install this thing? I assume the only screws to remove are the ones on either side of the shroud, plus four on the backside to remove the heatsink? What kind of screwdriver is needed, just a Phillips or do I need a Torx screwdriver as well?

just follow the PDF/instructions

your going to need 2 or 3 phillips screw drivers - small heads and 2 - torx (I used allen wrenches) - I remember using a 1.5 for the black outside ones and the shroud. The silver screws were slightly bigger ( probably a 2 ).

They give you some screws with the hybrid cooler - but didn't end up using any of those for the card itself.
I ended up reusing the silver ones and the side and back ones to lock up the housing when I was done.
The top ones that hold original titan x shroud together, I just put those back on the original shroud and put them away for safe keeping.

The inside smaller screws that hold the shroud to the card (phillips) your not going to need them - so you might want to them put the away for safe keeping - with the shroud.

The spring ones on the bottom that hold the Heatsink - your going to reuse those for the water block.

post edited by Duck_smith - 2015/05/02 11:27:50
subn3t
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 11:28:45 (permalink)
Vlada011
That's Obsidian 450D?

Yep! Good eye.

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 13:35:19 (permalink)
How are the temps with no overclock at full load ??

Max
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 13:43:57 (permalink)
subn3t

You can click on image now for a little larger view.
subn3t Time to for you to Create a  and really show off that Rig.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/05/02 15:46:37

tamvegas
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 14:32:01 (permalink)
Got my coolers yesterday and they look great, but sadly won't fit into the HAF 932 case I've had for several years (no removeable drive cage).
So I just ordered a Corsair Graphite 780t (white). Hopefully it'll be here in a few days and not the 10 that Amazon is quoting.

And yes, some folks please post before and after temps on the Titan X?

ASRock Fatality X99 Motherboard | Haswell 5930 cpu | 4 - 8 gig sticks of G Skill 2666 DDR4 memory | Swiftech 240x cpu Cooler |  2 - EVGA gtx 1080 FTW |
Samsung evo 850 500 gig ssd | Samsung evo 840 240 gig ssd | Samsung evo 840 500 gig ssd | Asus Xonar DX2 Pcie Sound card
Evga 1200 P2 PSU | Corsair White 780T case
Twin Acer CB280HK 4K Monitors | Acer 28 inch G-Sync XB280HK 4K Monitor | 2 x Rosewill Dual 27" Monitor Stand

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 15:41:15 (permalink)
tamvegas
Got my coolers yesterday and they look great, but sadly won't fit into the HAF 932 case I've had for several years (no removeable drive cage).
So I just ordered a Corsair Graphite 780t (white). Hopefully it'll be here in a few days and not the 10 that Amazon is quoting.

Drill the rivets out, this is what I do.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/05/02 15:44:33

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 15:57:38 (permalink)
tamvegas

Hey

I too have a 780t and my god this case is awesome.. The cooling options are very nice and the fact that you have 3 ssd trays behind the motherboard can givr you the option to remove the driver bay just behind the front intake fans. I have soooo much space man you're going to fit your hybrid cooler without a kink ;)

Max
deadwidesmile
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/02 21:36:12 (permalink)
Avenger411
Hey,

I speak for myself, it's clearly not about the money. It's about the knowledge. I personnally do not feel confident enough to build a custom cooling loop. So i am looking towards the easy way out. I spent some time on the EK site and damn their blocks are crazy nice and price is affordable, but when you've never done it, fittings, brackets, pumps, reservoirs, tubing etc etc can be overwhelming. Again i'm speaking for myself. Always used AiO and it always went well.

I live in montreal, canada and if there was a place where they built custom
Loops etc, i would gladly pay for it, since you're right. The proper way would be the custom way.

Max

I can tell you my "first time" (giggle) was super nerve racking. I was positive every fitting was defective in some way... "Hey, does this look too wobbly too you?" I'd ask my wife regularly. Much to her chagrin ;)

But, having done it 3 times now, I can attest, it's very, very fun and addictive. If you have the cash to spend, I'd say order 2 sets of everything for each piece. 2 90's, 2 45's, 2 barbed/compression fittings (in different colors mind you!), 2 double rotation 90's jammed together... everything. That way, when you go about planning and testing, you can see what you'll actually need. 

After my second build I ordered only JUST what I needed. It was perfect.
tamvegas
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/03 01:18:17 (permalink)

I thought about that, but that would only give me room for 1 cooler. The 6 5.25 bays in the front aren't needed anymore either. Plus I did a custom paint job on the interior and pulling the cage would mess that up.
So the 780t will give me plenty of options since I also have a Corsair H110 for the cpu.
Also I ordered some vinyl lettering for the 980 shrouds to use when painting them and that won't be here for a few days either. Now to decide whether I want Nvidia green or bright white for the letters.

ASRock Fatality X99 Motherboard | Haswell 5930 cpu | 4 - 8 gig sticks of G Skill 2666 DDR4 memory | Swiftech 240x cpu Cooler |  2 - EVGA gtx 1080 FTW |
Samsung evo 850 500 gig ssd | Samsung evo 840 240 gig ssd | Samsung evo 840 500 gig ssd | Asus Xonar DX2 Pcie Sound card
Evga 1200 P2 PSU | Corsair White 780T case
Twin Acer CB280HK 4K Monitors | Acer 28 inch G-Sync XB280HK 4K Monitor | 2 x Rosewill Dual 27" Monitor Stand

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/03 05:06:34 (permalink)
tamvegas

I thought about that, but that would only give me room for 1 cooler. The 6 5.25 bays in the front aren't needed anymore either. Plus I did a custom paint job on the interior and pulling the cage would mess that up.
So the 780t will give me plenty of options since I also have a Corsair H110 for the cpu.
Also I ordered some vinyl lettering for the 980 shrouds to use when painting them and that won't be here for a few days either. Now to decide whether I want Nvidia green or bright white for the letters.

Cool

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/03 06:37:17 (permalink)
Hey,

How about those full load temps ?? Really curious here.

Max
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread 2015/05/03 06:48:53 (permalink)
Avenger411
Hey,

How about those full load temps ?? Really curious here.

Max

What are yours? or are you still waiting for your AIO Unit?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 28
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile