Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Shockjockey
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4928
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 18
2016/07/01 05:19:21 (permalink)
Went to grocery store today to pick up a few things and a woman in the parking lot asked me if I want to buy a bunch of meat real cheap. Apparently she bought it with food stamps and is reselling. I have seen this a few times and am disgusted. I am not against people temporarily getting help if they need it but this kind of abuse needs to stop. BTW I told her to hug a root.

Asus Sabertooth x99
5930k (4.5ghz)
16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
EVGA 1000w psu
Zotac 980ti x 2
Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600

31 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 05:28:04 (permalink)
    You can report her. Get pictures or video and report her for the violation. IF they catch her in the act, she will lose every benefit and be fined for the violation.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 05:44:36 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    You can report her. Get pictures or video and report her for the violation. IF they catch her in the act, she will lose every benefit and be fined for the violation.

This..and this is why we need to diminish welfare...

It's abused. TOTALLY abused....we no longer help those who need it..we just help who wants it..unless you've been
    paying into the system..and then "nope, you can't get help"....

I had a friend in Florida who lost his job of 15 years..went to get help to feed his family (he was laid off with no package)
    and was told "No, can't help you. You're a white male."

struggled for months to feed his family...after paying in for years....

(Deleted Political Comment)

post edited by XrayMan - 2016/07/01 09:24:57

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 05:52:20 (permalink)
    One way to combat this is to take all the welfare funding, and put it toward soup kitchens. Homeless people use soup kitchens that don't get nearly enough funding, while others are abusing a system that seriously needs to be fully revamped and properly managed rather than based on ethnic background.

If every individual in need received a hot meal, and no stipend, most would quickly reset their lives and find a way to make it without going to the soup kitchen.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 06:08:00 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    One way to combat this is to take all the welfare funding, and put it toward soup kitchens. Homeless people use soup kitchens that don't get nearly enough funding, while others are abusing a system that seriously needs to be fully revamped and properly managed rather than based on ethnic background.

If every individual in need received a hot meal, and no stipend, most would quickly reset their lives and find a way to make it without going to the soup kitchen.

I'm ok with that....except all of it would be too much, imo...a good portion, yes.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

willem445
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4461
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 07:04:34 (permalink)
    It's amazing how lazy society has become. What happened to good ol fashioned manual labor? I grew up picking rocks, mowing, working cattle, etc for very little pay but I did't complain, it kept me busy and I was earning my own money. Now people just want that sweet free money from the gov. So sick of all this PC crap going on lately. 
    Shockjockey
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4928
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 09:23:19 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    Scarlet-Tech

This..and this is why we need to diminish welfare...

It's abused. TOTALLY abused....we no longer help those who need it..we just help who wants it..unless you've been
    paying into the system..and then "nope, you can't get help"....

I had a friend in Florida who lost his job of 15 years..went to get help to feed his family (he was laid off with no package)
    and was told "No, can't help you. You're a white male."

struggled for months to feed his family...after paying in for years....

post edited by XrayMan - 2016/07/01 09:26:35

Asus Sabertooth x99
    5930k (4.5ghz)
    16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
    EVGA 1000w psu
    Zotac 980ti x 2
    Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
    HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600
    valorunlimited
    • Total Posts : 20
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 09:47:25 (permalink)
    Social commentary aside, call the cops. They will arrest the person responsible. Job done.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 14:49:15 (permalink)
    Just tell them you want the receipt before you buy anything to make sure it isn't too old. Then give the receipt with their Foodstamp ID number on it to the local Welfare Office. Done! I am too sick to do work for extra income and I rely on my Foodstamps. There is only so much to go around due to budget cuts and it annoys me to no end seeing someone waste theirs just for extra drinking money or whatever. Sadly there are 'Food Stamp Sharks' who stake out grocery stores offering 50 cents on the dollar and there are people who actually jump on this offer. Yes, you heard me right. Not Loan Sharks, Food Stamp Sharks! They are real and coming to a location near you soon.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 16:18:06 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge a person doing that, they could need some money to get diapers etc. Now if i seen them take the money and go buy alcohol, that's a different story.

Scarlet-Tech

Soup kitchens do need more funding, i wouldn't take food stamps money away from people to fund it. If your family was having a hard times, would you want to take them to the bad part of town to wait in line for a hot meal. Most of the soup kitchens are opened on bad part of city only.  

EBT card allows people to keep their dignity.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 19:01:36 (permalink)
    Why worry about a person on food stamps selling like $30-50 in meat, when much larger abuse happens every single day. Wish i could name some of that larger abuse, but it would be removed for being political.

GODKILLER
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3082
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 20:07:43 (permalink)
    MSim
    Why worry about a person on food stamps selling like $30-50 in meat, when much larger abuse happens every single day. Wish i could name some of that larger abuse, but it would be removed for being political.

Why worry??!! One because its my tax dollars that are supporting this person and two if the person is violating the terms/guidelines then I have a problem with it. REPORT THEM is my opinion. Hell I reported my neighbor, for stacking bales of hay in his backyard, to the city. As this poses a potential fire hazard and health issue to my property and family.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 20:31:58 (permalink)
    MSim
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge a person doing that, they could need some money to get diapers etc. Now if i seen them take the money and go buy alcohol, that's a different story.

Soup kitchens do need more funding, i wouldn't take food stamps money away from people to fund it. If your family was having a hard times, would you want to take them to the bad part of town to wait in line for a hot meal. Most of the soup kitchens are opened on bad part of city only.  

EBT card allows people to keep their dignity.

So, soup kitchen gets better funding and has to stay in "the bad part of town"?  With funding, they would expand.  And yes, I would absolutely do whatever I needed to feed my family. I spent most time as a kid getting free clothes from the salvation army, because my mom couldn't afford to get us new clothes.  I had used converse shoes, and refuse to wear converse now, because back then "only poor people wear those stupid shoes".  We were poor, and they were used before I got them.  I was happy to have them, but resent that they are "Cool" now.  

You fail to realize that I have seen this most of my life.  My mom made $6 an hour raising two kids, with a whopping $350 a month in child support (that's $175 per child, not $350 per) from my father.  My mom didn't qualify for food stamps, but she qualified for low income housing, and we lived in low income housing and were very happy to have that help.  

3 workers at the Delaware assistance office were just hemmed up and put in prison for abusing and issuing themselves $90k in food stamps and then selling them.  There is much larger issues going on all over, like people taking compensation by working under the table and making way more than I make, but claiming that they make nothing.  It happens.  

Another thing I was introduced to today, while getting dinner with my dad, is a Food Pantry.  I found out the area I live in has them all over.  I pulled up more than 40 food pantries within a 15 minute drive, and none of them were "In the bad part of town" so families can get food by walking into a normal looking store, church, or home and pick up food for their family.  I have helped moved the locals that need help around and made sure they had food.  I recently purchased a lady a ticket to Wilmington Delaware so that she could get away from her woes, because the "system" refused to move her to a womens shelter.  

Yeah, I believe the freebies should be cut off, and the food provided directly.  I think it would help a lot more people than it does right now.  I am not judging everyone on this, as there are some that definitely need the help and do not abuse the system, but I also believe there are better ways than handouts that people can abuse to an extreme level.  
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 20:38:02 (permalink)
    GODKILLER
    MSim

Why worry??!! One because its my tax dollars that are supporting this person and two if the person is violating the terms/guidelines then I have a problem with it. REPORT THEM is my opinion. Hell I reported my neighbor, for stacking bales of hay in his backyard, to the city. As this poses a potential fire hazard and health issue to my property and family.

Much bigger fish to fry if you want to get on that high horse about abuse of tax payer money.

What did your city do about the neighbor? I seen people park vehicles in backyards, the city doesn't care, long as they have a privacy fence. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 20:41:17 (permalink)
    I will say, I am not generalizing People above, I am generalizing the system that is too easy to abuse like is mentioned in the OP.  

I have met and was friends with someone that was living in a $350,000 dollar home, and got food stamps, because she stated in her paperwork that she was paying low rent to the owner.  The owner was her boyfriend, who made great money.  She was offset with food stamps and other assistance, and they spent the money gambling.  That is why I feel the system should be completely changed. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 21:14:00 (permalink)
    Food stamp fraud is very low, most of the people who receive food stamps don't abuse the system. Just like people on welfare (in most cities) don't do drugs. How many cities tested welfare people for drugs, less than 2% ended up testing positive for drugs. They spent way more on the testing than they saved from busting drug users receiving welfare.

With the EBT system, you would think it would flag people who purchased $100 worth of soda a month or $200 worth a meat. Deactivate the card until the person calls into a case worker to explain why they spent that much on nothing but soda or meat. 

Scarlet-tech, i bet you grew up on mac & cheese just like me.  The old Kraft blue box of mac & cheese is the bomb. When i was younger, we were on food stamps for awhile. That was before they came out with EBT cards, everyone in line at the store could see who received food stamps.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/01 21:20:12 (permalink)
    I do like that the EBT cards are becoming more and more discreet. One program I HIGHLY support is the WIC program. That is a better implementation to help families that are expecting and have newborns.

I hated that Mac and cheese.. Couldn't stand it, lol. Still ate it when it was there though. Mac and Cheese is one of those things I will take an hour to make it, and be happy even after its gone in 2 minutes. I like real cheese too much, lol.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 04:44:51 (permalink)
    EBT cards are nice and the WIC program is a good thing for young mothers and eliminates any excuse for people selling their food stamps because they need diapers. Lot of 'Food Banks' in this area too mostly run by churches and one run by the Township. Some even deliver. I qualify due to my low income but I don't go there because I think there are others who need it more than I do.
    whiskers54
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1688
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 05:20:39 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I do like that the EBT cards are becoming more and more discreet. One program I HIGHLY support is the WIC program. That is a better implementation to help families that are expecting and have newborns.

I hated that Mac and cheese.. Couldn't stand it, lol. Still ate it when it was there though. Mac and Cheese is one of those things I will take an hour to make it, and be happy even after its gone in 2 minutes. I like real cheese too much, lol.

In my opinion based on many years of observance the actual stamps acted as a deterrent by pressuring the user to get off them as quickly as possible. The EBT card acts (and looks) more like a credit card and removes that pressure to get off the program. It has essentially and sadly become a way of life for many.

I lived on Kraft Mac and Cheese when I was young. It was good. I tried Kraft Mac and Cheese not that long ago and it went through some serious changes. Store brands in many cases taste much much better.
    whiskers54
    FTW Member
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 05:38:35 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    EBT cards are nice and the WIC program is a good thing for young mothers and eliminates any excuse for people selling their food stamps because they need diapers. Lot of 'Food Banks' in this area too mostly run by churches and one run by the Township. Some even deliver. I qualify due to my low income but I don't go there because I think there are others who need it more than I do.

Those people that were/are on the (welfare) program AND sold their stamps for cash will also sell their food purchased with the EBT cards. I've seen this too many time and was approached a few times to participate. Generally these people use the money received from the sale to buy items such as cigarettes and many other items that are not to be purchased with food stamps/EBT cards. 
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 05:38:44 (permalink)
    One of the reasons they went with an EBT card instead of printing Foodstamps was saving the printing cost and it makes it harder to sell the Foodstamps. I kind of like it but it does have its drawbacks. My magnetic strip is coming off because the lamination is all flaked off and it is impossible to get anyone on the phone to get it replaced. As far as soup kitchens like Salvation Army or St Vincent DePaul being located in bad neighborhoods, the residents of the nicer neighborhoods don't like having a congrgation of smelly homeless people lining up on their street.
    whiskers54
    FTW Member
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 06:12:08 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    One of the reasons they went with an EBT card instead of printing Foodstamps was saving the printing cost and it makes it harder to sell the Foodstamps. I kind of like it but it does have its drawbacks. My magnetic strip is coming off because the lamination is all flaked off and it is impossible to get anyone on the phone to get it replaced. As far as soup kitchens like Salvation Army or St Vincent DePaul being located in bad neighborhoods, the residents of the nicer neighborhoods don't like having a congrgation of smelly homeless people lining up on their street.

I understand the savings part but it also opened a new window of opportunity for those who/to game the system as was discovered in MN. (Why were the EBT cards being used in other states?) This was serious cash that was estimated well into the millions. To my understanding the paper trail that stamps display when used immediately shows up (obviously) and can be denied. Cards on the other hand are treated like credit cards and very little attention is paid to their usage.

"it makes it harder to sell the Foodstamps."

The food stamp yes but the product that the card buys/bought still accomplishes the same thing by selling that instead of the stamp. Another thing also is that unauthorized usage of Food Stamps can get you some time in prison. Buying an item that was purchased by someone that is authorized to use the EBT card will be treated differently.

We have "soup kitchens" here also. They do provide a service but it does come with negative attitudes also.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 06:32:53 (permalink)
    The Food Stamp program is a Federally funded program and you can make purchases anywhere in the U.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemental_Nutrition_Assistance_Program

There was a slimy woman in Philly that trolled the streets finding elderly homeless people or mentally disabled people and signing them up for Welfare, Foodstamps and Social Security benefits while keeping them chained up or in cages in her basement. I think she had 16 'hostages' but I'm not positive about how many victims there were. She kept all of their money and benefits while only feeding them just enough to keep them alive. When the Philadelphia Police finally rescued them they were so skinny and pale from lack of sunshine they reminded me of when the Allies liberated those Death Camps at the end of WWII.

This article claims there were only four people but there was supposedly more than that over a period of several years before getting caught: http://www.nbcphiladelphi...asement-131949518.html
    GODKILLER
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3082
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 07:00:59 (permalink)
    Much bigger fish to fry if you want to get on that high horse about abuse of tax payer money.
    What did your city do about the neighbor? I seen people park vehicles in backyards, the city doesn't care, long as they have a privacy fence.

CA state code requires that in order to store bales of hay on personal property you need to ensure that you protect from moisture and fire. Needless to say neither was met and my neighbor was required to obtain a storage unit or move the hay from the property. The city I live in provides a code enforcement task force. Kind of a HOA without the HOA fees. Size doesn't matter to me when fish are caught. If its to small I make a fishstick. And I prefer my tax money to be put back into my pocket rather than someone else's.
    post edited by GODKILLER - 2016/07/02 07:03:39
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 07:06:30 (permalink)
    Many people across the USA complain about California and how many laws they seem to get passed. Most of these laws have nothing to do with safety but are more focused on imposing fines to generate income for the state. Biggest problem even for us way over here on the East Coast is once California passes a law it sets a precedent and the rest of the states want to jump on the bandwagon and pass similar legislation.
    whiskers54
    FTW Member
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 07:09:54 (permalink)
    Yes, the food stamp program is Federally funded and the states contribute as well. But it is managed by the states and their laws governing this. To my understanding the EBT cards are to be used in the issuing state. This is why there was a huge concern regarding the usages of those cards in other states.

That abuse is something that goes on in many places and with other assistance programs non welfare related also and it is despicable.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 14:49:35 (permalink)
    Should have just body slammed her right there on the spot. That is the only way anyone is going to get justice regarding such actions.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/02 16:33:46 (permalink)
    One way to look at it, shes putting tax payer money back into peoples pockets.
    Rud3Bw0y
    • Total Posts : 39
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/06 17:51:14 (permalink)
    i don't mind at all i go to the gym 5 days a week and i buy tons of chicken breast/meat best discount is from those same people lol i give them half of what it's worth
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: This is screwed up 2016/07/06 18:20:02 (permalink)
    We dont know her story, so why are you judging her. Its not our place, its agents the rules yes, but we dont know her story.

Im not defining her but times are tough everywhere. When I late wife passed away, I had no income, because I was her stay-at-home 24/hour caregiver, I felt like i was between two rocks, and I still am, Crap Happens, so we just try to move on and do better...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile