EVGA

Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted

Author
stephan28
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/12/07 02:17:14 (permalink)
I just received my GTX 1070 FTW from the vendor I purchased it from yesterday. I got the serial # off of the box (have not opened the EVGA box yet) and plugged it into the EVGA site which indicated that my card needed both the bios and the thermal pad updates. I ordered the thermal pad kit via the EVGA website after registering my card.

My question is this. Should I do the mod myself or do an advanced RMA with EVGA for a new card with the mods already in place. The reason why I ask is,although I am not at all concerned doing the work myself, it MAY be faster to do the RMA from what I am seeing with the time it takes to ship out the pads to the customers after they make the request.

Do I have to pay shipping to exchange the card? What is the turn around time? Would it be possible to get a replacement unit before the Holidays? Can I get a signature required upon delivery? (Concerned someone might steal the package off of the doorstep) Any insight into the RMA process would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

14 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 05:03:17 (permalink)
    http://www.evga.com/howtorma/

And if that didn't answer your questions to your satisfaction, EVGA tech support is 24/7 for North America - http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 216
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 06:24:56 (permalink)
    What you need to do first is to determine when your card shipped.
    If it was after Nov 1st you do not need to make changes as they are already done at the factory.

stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 07:56:58 (permalink)
    DSP1
    If it was after Nov 1st you do not need to make changes as they are already done at the factory.

It was shipped from a vendor (Amazon) to me on the 5th of December. I have no idea when it was shipped from EVGA to Amazon. According to EVGA's site when I enter the serial number it states that they recommend the Bios update as well as the thermal mod. My assumption is that if it already had the modification done it would not have stated that. Is that a bad assumption?
    kladnik
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 09:09:28 (permalink)
    Why not just open the box and check?
    DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 216
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 09:29:42 (permalink)
    stephan28
    DSP1

It was shipped from a vendor (Amazon) to me on the 5th of December. I have no idea when it was shipped from EVGA to Amazon. According to EVGA's site when I enter the serial number it states that they recommend the Bios update as well as the thermal mod. My assumption is that if it already had the modification done it would not have stated that. Is that a bad assumption?

Where you entered the serial number just indicates whether your particular model needs them. If however the card shipped from the factory after Nov 1st it does not.
    I believe that if you go to the RMA page and enter you number there under guest RMA it will tell you the ship date.

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 10:09:27 (permalink)
    Here's what I would do...

Place the order for your thermal pad kit and install your 1070 and have fun with it.  Setup a custom fan curve for better cooling using MSI AB or PrecXOC or flash the latest vBIOS with a more aggressive fan profile or both.

Install the thermal pads when they arrive...

This is assuming your GPU doesn't already have the applied updates.
    post edited by bdary - 2016/12/07 10:11:44

stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 16:00:48 (permalink)
    Thanks DSP1! You are correct! The guest RMA indicates a ship date of 9/26. Bummer, the card needs the update. Now the dilemma, to do an RMA or wait for a thermal pad kit to arrive and do it myself.

Since the card was purchased less then 30 days ago EVGA will be kind enough to send me a NEW replacement card (with a valid credit card hold) with the bios and pads installed and I will ship the original card back to them. I just wonder if I will receive it on time for the holidays.
    stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/07 19:27:56 (permalink)
    Ok, I started an RMA for the card. Once it's approved and I give them a credit card number they will ship one to me via 3 day shipping. I was informed that the approval process can take a few days so with that and the 3 day shipping it is going to be close. I did check to make sure they have them in stock and they appear to (at least for now) so we'll just cross our fingers and hope for the best. 

I have to say, that to this point the customer service has been expeditious and excellent. Good work EVGA!
    stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/09 17:19:40 (permalink)
    Woo Hoo, I just got a notification that my updated 1070 FTW is on the way. 
    dwaintr
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/09 17:47:44 (permalink)
    DSP1
    stephan28
    DSP1

Where you entered the serial number just indicates whether your particular model needs them. If however the card shipped from the factory after Nov 1st it does not.
    I believe that if you go to the RMA page and enter you number there under guest RMA it will tell you the ship date.

I believe this is a wrong information. If your serial's check says it is recommended it means that the card isn't from the recent batch and none of the updates have been applied.
    post edited by dwaintr - 2016/12/09 17:52:12
    stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/09 19:00:03 (permalink)
    When it was shipped from EVGA matters. According to them cards shipped from EVGA after Nov 1st should have the update installed.

When it was shipped from a vendor, such as Amazon or Newegg, is NOT an indication on when it was shipped from EVGA and so you cannot use that date as a "check."

If you run your S/N on the EVGA's site it will tell you the ship date and if the updates have already been applied. 

In my case I ordered from Amazon on December 3rd, however when I checked the S/N on EVGA's website it indicated that it recommended (read "does not have") the updates an that it was shipped from EVGA sometime in September.
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/09 19:21:25 (permalink)
    bdary
    Here's what I would do...

Place the order for your thermal pad kit and install your 1070 and have fun with it.  Setup a custom fan curve for better cooling using MSI AB or PrecXOC or flash the latest vBIOS with a more aggressive fan profile or both.

Install the thermal pads when they arrive...

This is assuming your GPU doesn't already have the applied updates.

This ^ exactly. What I had planned to do when I bought a 1080 FTW, but when I entered the serial, pads were already installed. This whole thing is blown out of proportion because of a bad batch of resistors or whatever it was exploding on some cards, and I believe that wasn't limited to EVGA cards. Basically a separate problem. EVGA isn't even saying that pads are required.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    DCMedia
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/10 18:40:57 (permalink)
    The mod is pretty easy.. here is my video I just uploaded going over how to do it.

post edited by DCMedia - 2016/12/10 18:44:27
    stephan28
    Re: Thermal Mod Opinions and Suggestions Wanted 2016/12/11 14:43:11 (permalink)
    Nice video!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile