EVGA

AnsweredThe Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8)

Author
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3939
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 62
2013/10/17 16:20:26 (permalink)
Hi all

Some time ago an old friend from 2CPU.com gave me a Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 due to my knowledge of 3dfx and my passion for it
He is also a member @ EVGA Forums as JayVenturi

Even I asked him if he was really sure, thereby I advised him to sell it on ebay, since these can sell ot quite a bit, I also said I don't want to steal away a chance like that from him either.
He was like no man this card belongs in your home and in that old P3 you have there, so I was like okay send her up and I will elt you know if it has arrived.. or not :X

About 5 weeks later nothing had arrived yet, so I mailed JayVenturi and asked him when he shipped it, he was like hmm let me check with the postal services, about a week later he came back to me that it was at the customs I was like ahhhhh I beloved enemies lol he also laughed there

And about 6 weeks after that which was two days ago from today there was a big box from USA from G.Venturi on it I was like ahaaa this is it!!!
So I unpacked it and yaaaps it's the X24 alright! and that box is so enormous, dayum man!

Well I then unpacked it and started cleaning it and made some lovey photo's before I put in in Avenger M99, my P3/E 650Mhz test system

So here some pics which I did promise to make and yeah a review also, it's time to go back to 1998, the Voodoo2 age, the time when 3Dfx Interactive ruled the games market with their Glide API with about 97% of all games.. Meet the world's fastest and best siingle Voodoo2 ever made, all hail the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 PCI 24MB 384Bit EDO Rev.D 9822 / Fourth Final Revision D, Year 1998, Week 22.
Actually you can basically see the X24 as the GTX 690 of 1998, that kind of idea

Here the top view, you can clearly see that the slave V2 12MB is that half sized Daughter Board aka D-Board:

Rear view, shows some decals with a barcode and some warning, that long narrow one, the PCB date is 9822, meaning it's from Year 1998 & Week 22 An old Core Warrior of it's days

Here the headshot of this X24 Monster, as you can see it also has a S/Video & Composite TV-Outs on it, it supports PAL & NTSC, so you can go all ways with this thing as well.

Here the op of the box, it shows some battle scars aka weathering xD, but I don't mind, it's a gift from a good friend ya know, something I do plan on keeping for a long time

Here the rear view of the box, I made a clear show so you can read it all, I hope that will bring back lots of good memories for all you Quantum3D fans collectors and users!

Here a headshot I took of the box showing it's battle scars xD

The famous top banner of the box showing the beautiful Quantum3D Logo and the slofgan above the Obsidian2 logo: "Ultimate 3D Acceleration For PC games" Which was very true for it's time, and indeed this card is Single slot, more pics on that further on

The Feature Highlights tab on the side of the box, 384Bit EDO ram hah quite something for 1998, obviously 6x 64Bit EDO hehe smart marketing of Q3D, I do find their Details on their boxes extremely detailed, something I never saw on others.

Here the Specifications tab, and again very well detailed, always loved companies that really put everything in to detail, this is a very good example on how Specs should be written on VGA card boxes especially high end & enthusiast cards, such as this X24.

Well here it is then, this is what came with it, as you see no driver CD and 14 CD game pack or manual, no matter to me, I am happy for what it is, as finding these X24's with their original boxes isn't easy I was told. It was also the best performing Voodoo2 SLI Solution you could get as well, excluding Quantum3D's Obsidian2 200SBI's of course rofl which you can make in to Iron & Mercury sets..yeah the insanity Quantum3D knew exactly how to bring that!

Here showing how narrow the space is between the two PCB's and it's perfectly 1 slot wide too, Quantum3D really planned executed this idea out very well! 

Here a closeup also clearly showing how the two PCB's are connected together via it's two SLI connectors, an interesting approach but a very useful one also 

Here the main & slave PCB's taken apart also showing how the D-Board connectors to the main PCB vie them two long vertical SLI connectors and them three 4 pinned power connectors J3, J4 & J5 

Here the two PCB's seen from the other side 

Top view of both PCB's 

Rear view of both PCB's, in the four white holes go four plastic screws, they are good for the job too, just keep in mind when taking one of these gems apart, make sure you do that very securely, too much force and ware them screws very easily, patience plays a large role there 

Here an other nice orientation of the X24, showing it's D-Board and that cool Quantum3D slogan: The Affordable Reality Company hehe 

Here a different orientation of the X24, showing a weird 6 pinned connector just above the Xilinx chip, it's set to as J6, does anyone know what J6 was meant for?

Might be worth finding out 

Using the X24 is very pleasant, drivers are also dead stable, only what it is missing are feature settings which 3dfx did have afaik, the control panel doesn't offer that much besides the TV-Out section, that was very detailed, I also like them Quantum3D test logo's Although I am seeking some more Quantum3D tech demo's to test with the X24.

So here a video showing you the X24 running them Quantum3D logo tests in Glide without and with VSync enabled and showing some of the ATi rage 128 Ultra OpenGL & Direct3D modes

Here Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition 1999 in action on the X24:

I used my HD camera to record the footage of me playing the game, using fraps on these old PC's isn't doable, especially when recording and playing at the same time, thus I did it this way instead
post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/10/18 06:49:29

richj44
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2251
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2013/10/18 05:44:18 (permalink)
Thanks, awesome review /post. Very well done and informative. 

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2013/10/18 05:49:21 (permalink)
Many thanks richj44 I do plan on running more glide games today too

Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2013/10/18 12:33:19 (permalink)
Many thanks to that EVGA Crew Member that gave me my 33rd Blue Ribbon!!! 

Good news is that I have the original Quantum3D OpenGVS Tech Demo's for these Quantum3D Obsidian2 cards!
So more on that coming very soon! And I found out a better way to make ingame video's by using Bandicam, which a fellow x-3dfx friend of mine gave me to use, he said it uses far less CPU power than Fraps and any other type of FPS recording program, so that is surely worth a shot.

Kinda leaving out the BandiCam idea, as it does not record Glide based games, oh well the old 1080p camera will have to di it then
post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/10/18 21:20:02

JayVenturi
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 111
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2013/10/19 09:39:51 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Gold Leader 2013/10/19 16:08:57
Wow,
the playback on unreal is so impressive. Miss playing that game, think I'm going to load it back up.

As for card, I can think of anyone better to have it ;)

2x 4090 RTX Founders Edition
2x AMD 7773x Epyc  (128/256 cores), Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 Dual socket motherboard
1 TB RAM  DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs   1650W digital power supply
(Data drive)  Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (12.8TB each / 51.2TB array) 
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (8TB). Back up array Micron 9300 Max
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, MS Data Center 2022 & Ubuntu
All air cooled, CPU temps idle 29C, Load 49c,   GPU temps idle 29C, load max 51C
SFF case, ultra quiet operation
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2013/10/19 15:23:21 (permalink)
JayVenturi
Wow,
the playback on unreal is so impressive. Miss playing that game, think I'm going to load it back up.

As for card, I can think of anyone better to have it ;)

Many thanks JayVenturi, this would never of happened without your UBAR kindness!!!
And not to worry your X24 is safe here with me, I also made some footage of Descent3, but Is till have to upload that video, sorry for the crappy image quality, there i no other way I can get  the footage recorded, programs like Bandicam & fraps are too heavy, if I record with them and play at the same time the System lags down to 1fps or less rofl, the P3/E 650 is far too underpowered for such workloads, so the Sony HD camera is my only solution, just to give you an idea what is going on

Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2014/07/23 13:38:17 (permalink)
Here some pics of the test system with the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 :)

Rage 128 Ultra , X25, Pro 100 S, Radio Card, AWE64 Gold:

Rage 128 Ultra , X25, Pro 100 S, Radio Card, AWE64 Gold alternative view

Quantum3D's 2D to 3D External Pass Through Cable, which goes from the Main VGA the 2D Card, that being the ATi Rage 128 Ultra AGP 32MB to the 3D add on card the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 and from there to the Monitor 

Sixxgunn
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2018/08/13 01:34:29 (permalink)
Hey wow!!!  I just got mine out of storage!  Hahaha....did some pics comparing the two to show my friends from back in the day to see if they remembered it.  This card was the absolute BOMB to have.  It heated up like a microwave, but for 90fps or so (according to timedemo) in Quake2 it was worth it....Thanks for the post. 

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2018/08/13 02:07:52 (permalink)
That is why NVIDIA bought the company

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: The Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 Obtained!! Meet The Fastest Voodoo2 Ever Made! 8) 2018/08/13 20:01:57 (permalink)
Ah my old thread, hah very cool

New thread is here guys:
https://forums.evga.com/Avenger-M99-Gets-an-Upgrade-from-P3E-650-to-P3EB-933-m2840825.aspx

And yes! I am still using my X-24 and the real reason NVIDIA bought 3dfx is a much darker sad truth tbh,
3dfx moving away from their AIB's after Banshee and on with Voodoo3 was a death move  from them, the Banshee was also a waste ot time by using the 3dfx Ramapge team to work on Banshee instead of Rampage the actual success of SST2 aka Scott Sellers Tarolli 2 which was Voodoo2.

Voodoo3, 5 and later 4 were all gap fillers for the VSA-200 GPU aka the Rampage chip 3dfx'x DX 8.0 GPU and their Sage T&L unit, the Voodoo5 6000 program lasted 55 weeks from week 36 1999 to week 39 year 2000 yet they could not get the card stable money loss after money loss was made over profit and healthy sales this with the waves of unightful lawsuits NVIDIA thew against 3dfx, all their dreams came to an end on December 15, 2000
^^^^^^
That is how it actually happened.

Even though they were eager enough to work on Rampage in Weeks 46 & 47 of Year 2000 just to get a working sample of Rampage up and running even they were closed for 2 weeks, and this inspired many 3dfx fans yes me included to collect their cards to keep them alive with communities and now owner of the official x-3dfx community our goal is to keep 3dfx alive by renovating retro gaming PC"s from back then and play them good ole glide games with them, that is the best of ways to keep the 3dfx spirit alive.

But yeah that is the short version of how and why NVIDIA bought our 3dfx's assets and why most 3dfx fans dislike NVIDIA for several of such things, yet many of us were more than happy that GPP was taken down and completely removed form it's existence.
Yet I love 3dfx, EVGA, AMD, Intel, S3 &  Matrox .. but NVIDIA no not my kind of liking and I have my reasons for that as many of us 3dfx die-hards do.
But anyways everyone has their own preferences of what they like and dislike and I respect that fully

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile