Suggestions for the future

Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2014/08/20 04:28:48 (permalink)
EVGA: I noticed that there was a fairly decent suggestion thread on the PSU forum, and thought that it would be a decent idea to do the same for GPUs.

BACKPLATES: please start including them from the factory. It makes absolute sense to provide these, and the support they provide directly to the PCB. If EVGA were to charge $15 more and include this feature, I am sure very few would complain. I understand the time needed to make backplates, but it should be much easier to make a backplate that only has a few holes, compared to a gpu with all the technical items that go inside and all of the copper traces...

CLASSIFIEDS: These are by far my favorite line of GPUs, and I would love to see more bios updates, as well as the above mentioned backplates, to get the most out of these cards. I understand that we can get third party BIOS options, but I have used the updated BIOS from EVGA Chris since it was emailed to me.

I would also love to 3 BIOS selectors. One for Normal, one for OC, and one for Extreme Cooling. Right now, all 3rd party Bios like to aim at extreme OC, which is not beneficial for sir or watercooling. If there was a 3rd selector, it would be extremely easy to make the switch over for benchmarking purposes. I like to run a more aggressive Bios during Benchmarks, but taking 10 minutes to change bios and refresh drivers can get frustrating.

LEARN FROM THIS GENERATION: If there is a restriction, placed by big brother, don't be afraid to tell us. Hiding information will only upset the end user. The support from EVGA is amazing, and the reason most end users look to you, so provide them with what they like... Information. Don't be vague, as people will assume that your are only here to cover your own butt. I can't wait to see what is done with the 800 lineup, and hope that some of the issues will be worked out... Maybe focus on installing larger, more aggressive fans on the ACX line up, while reinforcing the fins so that they don't vibrate like this generation did. Also, look into adding some braces on the PCB to hold the ACX, rather than the 4 screws around the die being the ONLY thing holding the ACX on... The ACX weighs too much to have all of the support base on one spot alone.

TIM: look into a TIM application that doesn't overload the die as this generation has been doing. We, end users, are grateful that we are able to pull the cooler and reapply the TIM ourselves, as this usually lowers the thermals a decent amount. Out of 6 GPUs I have opened, all 6 had a decent overflow of Tim around the die itself. It has been said that too much is not always a good thing. I would think that too much is better than too little in this case, but with the amount I have found, is usually fairly excessive.

As I stated, I can not wait to see the 800 series line up. I will be looking at all manufacturers, and I will be holding out to buy once I see the end user reviews.

6 Replies Related Threads

FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1289
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/20 08:08:25 (permalink)
    good suggestions and pointers+1
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/20 14:44:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback!

schnizer
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/20 17:44:49 (permalink)
    Good points, and I especially agree with the backplate idea.  I think a majority of the people that own EVGA GPUs wouldn't mind paying an extra $20-$25 for a backplate pre-installed on their card.  Makes the card look much better, typically gets slightly cooler temps , and makes the card more structurally sound.  Who doesn't want that right out of the box?  I know I do!  

Plus extra profit for EVGA.  It's a win/win scenario!  
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/20 17:53:13 (permalink)
    I am going through the process of purchasing backplates for all of my cards, and even borrowed cards and ones for other people that can not get their own, and it is a slight pain. It would be much nicer if it were either pre-installed or included in the package to give users the choice to install.
    iamSneaky
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 444
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/20 23:49:03 (permalink)
    Very nice points, regarding the Backplates, personnally I think ALL cards (excluding base reference
    models) should have a backplate included at no charge.
    SC'd, FTW, 4GB variants and Classified cards are designed for higher performance so it
    seems silly that a backplate is an 'addon extra'.
    TIM application is also very important, it should be done properly during assembly,
    under no circumstances should a customer have to re-TIM their card (at least for the first year or so of use).

SS07:
    Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL|i9 10900K [SP 98][Bykski FR-CU-RA-V2 CPU Block]|ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra [Bykski Block]|Galax HoF OC Lab Edition 4600mhz|Alienware AW2721D
    EVGA Supernova P2 1600

Elite ID: BJBC3RMQSBKAR2ALRHN

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102241
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Suggestions for the future 2014/08/21 00:01:17 (permalink)
    I believe all NVIDIA cards should have backplates by default. Just my two cent input. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile