Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770

Author
CroutonJones
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/08 07:37:35 (permalink)
Hello all,

I replaced my aging pair of MSI Cyclone GTX 460s this weekend with an EVGA GTX 770, and everything seems to be going fine, save for one thing. I am getting tearing, stuttering, artifacted playback of live and recorded TV using Windows Media Center. Antenna signal strength is top notch, and I can view TV perfectly fine OTA from either of the TVs in the house. I have also rebooted every piece of hardware in the house (router, HDHomeRun, computer several times) and have made sure to use the latest drivers and utilities from EVGA's website for the card. However, the problem still persists.

There have been no other hardware or software changes to the rig, and playback has never been an issue until now. Any thoughts on performance tuning the card to work with WMC?

Any help appreciated. Image of WMC issue included.

Edit: I should note that this is in Windows 7. If needed I can supply other hardware details.

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

andrewc513
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770 2014/09/08 09:40:54 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity, what type of port on the card are you using as output, what type of port is your display's input, and what cables/adapters are involved?

I ask because WMC requires HDCP for playback of protected content, so cabling could most definitely could be a potential issue.  For example, I danced with weirdness myself last night.  WMC in Windows 8.1 would never playback my video, citing a driver error. After a quick Google search, turns out that HDCP-protected TV content fed to WMC by my HDHomerun Prime would not display over DisplayPort because DP is not HDCP compliant with WMC(but it is elsewhere). It would still record all day long, though. Once I hooked up my monitor with a DVI cable, live playback worked like a charm.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/08 09:46:53
    CroutonJones
    Re: Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770 2014/09/08 09:49:11 (permalink)
    Good question. I've got dual display set up with DVI out/in to both displays.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770 2014/09/08 11:53:21 (permalink)
    I would try using other older WHQL drivers obtained from NVIDIA's website. Sometimes new drivers include bugs not present in older drivers. Also, I highly recommed using WHQL certified drivers instead of BETA drivers.
    I don't know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit, but here is the link...
    http://www.nvidia.com/Dow.oad/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    ... and here is a screenshot to help you:

I REALLY wish it were possible to attach files and edit attachments on this forums using a phone...
    CroutonJones
    Re: Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770 2014/09/08 13:22:07 (permalink)
    Well, I've backed down to 337.88 and 335.23, and still no difference. I think I might try moving the card into the other PCI-e slot, the one it is in now is closer to the PSU and that may be causing some electrical interference, though why it would do so only for WMC and not any other application, let alone not affect my previous SLI configuration, boggles me.

Edit: Tried that, no dice. This problem is becoming frustrating. This box serves as both my gaming rig and my PVR, if I can't do both, I may have to go back to my old cards until I find something else that works.
    post edited by CroutonJones - 2014/09/08 14:12:55
    CroutonJones
    Re: Stuttering playback in Windows Media Center with EVGA GTX 770 2014/09/16 09:30:04 (permalink)
    Just to close this out, the card was not the problem. Turns out that my router was in the process of dying, and for whatever reason the data transfer rate between the HDHomeRun and the WMC box was too low for the GTX 770 to process smoothly. Guess the slower cards didn't have a problem with slower transfer speeds. Who knows.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile