So I almost died today

Author
VegetaCreeper
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2944
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2016/06/28 18:19:53 (permalink)
I am 35 years old, and have an overactive Vasal Vagal nerve in my body. This nerve regulates your blood pressure, and its the largest nerve in your body.

I have been having really bad acid reflux and went into the hospital for an upper Gi-endoscopy.

Before the RN caring for me gave me an IV, I told her about my overactive nerve.

She said, OK, and proceeded to give me the IV.

When she inserted the IV, my vein ruptured.

Immediatley, I felt this vagal response and warned the RN about what was coming.

My heart rate dropped down to 30 bpm, and my blood pressure dropped to 68/32.

My entire body at first was extremely hot and I was sweating profusley and experienced awful naseau.

That was the easy part. While my blood pressure, and heart rate continued to plummit, 75% of my body went entirely numb and I started to shake violently both externally and internally.

The MRT (Medical Response Team) came down to assist with the situation. However, during these syncopal episodes, there is no medication to help.

After about 7 minutes after this event, my blood pressure/heart rate returned.

This event was terrifying and I'm so thankful to be alive tonight!!!

Be The change in the World you want to see

Use my associate code if you want to save money on your purchases: DIC39SVDZOR8D11

10 Replies Related Threads

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/28 19:56:15 (permalink)
    You did not almost die. Vasalvagal response is quite common and although can be very scary is rarely ever life threatening. Glad you are ok.

Your response is very similar to what happened to me at the dentist when I was 15. During freezing the dentist hit a nerve. I went into Vasalvagal response, pushed him aside, walked into the waiting room and then in front of everybody I passed out. My Mom said I was completely ghost white lol. I woke up a minute or two later and was totally fine.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/28 20:10:40 (permalink)
    Sounds like you should of thanked your RN for saving ur azz.
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8327
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/28 20:11:42 (permalink)
    None the less....a harrowing experience.  Glad you are OK now! 

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/28 21:18:17 (permalink)

Glad your ok.        

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/29 05:25:19 (permalink)
    I never heard of this condition before but it must be a nightmare to deal with. Medical professionals just don't seem to listen anymore or they just don't care like they used to. One of my worst experiences in a hospital was when I woke up in Recovery after my Quadrupal Bypass Surgery. I was still under anesthesia and couldn't breath on my own. I was still in a state of paralysis and couldn't even move. This group of young nurses kept coming around and giggling when they pulled the hose out of my Respirator. I blacked out at least 5 or 6 times from it. What bugs me the most is that nobody listened to my complaints. "Nurses would never do that, especially our nurses"! Many patients complain about their treatment at ARIA Torresdale Hospital in N.E. Philadelphia. One man even died in the E.R. waiting room from a heart attack because the doctors ignored his complaints of chest pains. He was told to go wait his turn while people with skinned knees and sprained ankes were being treated. 10 minutes later he died sitting in his chair. A surveillance video showed a bunch of homeless hoodlums trying to stay warm peeling the watch off of the wrist of his corpse.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/29 05:39:05 (permalink)
    Oh man..so happy you're ok..that's a frightening thing to even contemplate.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/30 11:32:10 (permalink)
    Does not sound like any "fun" at all. With your vitals going crazy, I'm sure anything could happen. Glad your ok. At least you are aware you have that condition...
    GODKILLER
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3082
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/06/30 11:59:28 (permalink)
    This lady popped my "vagal nerve" in my shorts one time and I got all "hot", "sweaty", and "my body went entirely numb and I started to shake violently". My blood pressure went up not down though.
    VegetaCreeper
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2944
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/07/01 12:50:31 (permalink)
    kaninja
    You did not almost die. Vasalvagal response is quite common and although can be very scary is rarely ever life threatening. Glad you are ok.

Your response is very similar to what happened to me at the dentist when I was 15. During freezing the dentist hit a nerve. I went into Vasalvagal response, pushed him aside, walked into the waiting room and then in front of everybody I passed out. My Mom said I was completely ghost white lol. I woke up a minute or two later and was totally fine.

On July 31st of 2012, my vagal response stopped my heart for 12 seconds.  I was speaking with my Dr. in the ER and I got really light-headed and my heart stopped.  I have an extreme vasalvagal response.  I don't just pass out, my heart stops.  They needed to give me adrenaline to get my heart pumping again.  It really stinks living with this medical condition.  In order to live with this, my Doctors ordered me to eat high volumes of salt to keep my veins from becoming to dilated.  They literally told me to "put salt on everything."

Luckily I'm in good health because I work out a lot.  If not, I would have to battle high blood pressure and this as well.

Be The change in the World you want to see

Use my associate code if you want to save money on your purchases: DIC39SVDZOR8D11

boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: So I almost died today 2016/07/01 13:05:00 (permalink)
    Slammed my thumb real good to where it started gushing blood, went to the sink and cleaned it, then backk outside to rest for a bit before doing more work. Moments later even tho the pain and bleeding had stopped i went pale white, lots of nausea, and had to b laying down or else i felt like i would pass out. My friend saw this and helped to put the situation into better perspective by asking me if i am seriously going to die from slamming my thumb. Luckily after a few minutes i was instantly better feeling like a complete wuss going wth just happened to me.

Hopefully the endoscopy came back with positive results. Drink lots of fresh water and lemon juice. Lemon juice goes in as an acid but acts alkaline when combined with your digestive juices. Should help alleviate acidity. Anything about healthy diets feel free to ask me. Poor diet is the leading cause of premature death around the world which means that most the people u know including yourself are likely to fall victim unless cancer or something else gets to you first. Which poor diet increases your risk of cancer. Avoiding over 90 percent of grocery food that are not fruits or vegetables is key to a diet that does not promote health issues.
    post edited by boylerya - 2016/07/01 13:48:44

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile