So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 19
Author
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 09:19:33 (permalink)
Samsander
stalinx20
DnBrn
Well, if I've learned anything, it's don't pay for the stock overclock models.  Pretty much spot on, I assumed that a stock overclock would be stable and that they had rigorously tested it.  It is so odd though that it's not outright unstable, it's just in certain games.  Boosts to 1455mhz in 3d mark and doesn't crash, but crashes in Elite Dangerous.  Runs Wither 3 on Ultra with no crash, but crashes in The Repopulation.  This is why Nvidia themselves say it's not the card but when game developers then blame the card and EVGA wants to do an RMA, what are you supposed to think?  I don't know, I'm not a GPU tech or guru, so I'd expect EVGA to know and fix it.  Instead we just RMA RMA RMA until one finally works or pay more for a different card.  I'm sorry but I didn't pay all that money for a refurb within 3 months of purchase and I hate that I have to now step up for an additional cost.  Doesn't seem I have a choice though, I've really thought about it, and it seems like it's just the best course of action to upgrade in order to avoid further instability while I have the opportunity.

Never again.  I'll have to keep an eye on how future products go now, may have to switch brands if it continues to work like this.  I hope this is just a fluke and they made a mistake this time since I've been all about EVGA for years.

You're better off just buying reference models and overclocking yourselves. The good part about this is, if your overclock doesn't work, at least you can go back to reference clocks, and start over. You can't start over on an already overclocked card by the manufacturer, you're stuck.

Why not? You can downclock as easily as you can overclock.

Sure it sucks to see the -100 or -200 MHz but you can do it if you need to.

Then why spend the extra money when you can do it yourself...

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 10:46:28 (permalink)
stalinx20
Samsander
stalinx20
DnBrn
Well, if I've learned anything, it's don't pay for the stock overclock models.  Pretty much spot on, I assumed that a stock overclock would be stable and that they had rigorously tested it.  It is so odd though that it's not outright unstable, it's just in certain games.  Boosts to 1455mhz in 3d mark and doesn't crash, but crashes in Elite Dangerous.  Runs Wither 3 on Ultra with no crash, but crashes in The Repopulation.  This is why Nvidia themselves say it's not the card but when game developers then blame the card and EVGA wants to do an RMA, what are you supposed to think?  I don't know, I'm not a GPU tech or guru, so I'd expect EVGA to know and fix it.  Instead we just RMA RMA RMA until one finally works or pay more for a different card.  I'm sorry but I didn't pay all that money for a refurb within 3 months of purchase and I hate that I have to now step up for an additional cost.  Doesn't seem I have a choice though, I've really thought about it, and it seems like it's just the best course of action to upgrade in order to avoid further instability while I have the opportunity.

Never again.  I'll have to keep an eye on how future products go now, may have to switch brands if it continues to work like this.  I hope this is just a fluke and they made a mistake this time since I've been all about EVGA for years.

You're better off just buying reference models and overclocking yourselves. The good part about this is, if your overclock doesn't work, at least you can go back to reference clocks, and start over. You can't start over on an already overclocked card by the manufacturer, you're stuck.

Then why spend the extra money when you can do it yourself...

Because OC models usually use better components, have additional power connectors, have heatpipe coolers, can clock higher then reference..... and so on.
Obviously with some FTW's this is not the case.
DnBrn
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 11:55:33 (permalink)
Samsander
stalinx20
DnBrn

Because you pay a premium pretty much just for the overclock.  There's nothing extra that the FTW model has to justify the extra money.

Or I'm completely wrong and the card is supposed to have better components etc... Whatever.. I've said that I've been lucky, but there's a lot of people that haven't and that's a symptom of a bigger issue and not the first time I've had an issue with an over clocked card.  Doesn't seem worth it in hindsight.
post edited by DnBrn - 2015/06/11 11:58:39
DnBrn
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 12:00:25 (permalink)
digitalrelic
I'm able to run my 2 980 FTW's in SLI with a 24/7 overclock @ 1500mhz/8000mhz... No issues after playing hours and hours of The Witcher 3, Metro Redux, Sleeping Dogs, Crysis 3, Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, etc.. So it's definitely not a "systematic issue" as some have said.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yea, I can do all that too, but then load up something like The Repopulation or Elite: Dangerous and I have driver crashes without under clocking.  If you look around, it varies based on games and system specifications.  I think some of us are lucky that we are able to not have problems most of the time, where some have BSODs just while browsing.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 17:49:38 (permalink)
Hello all, been hip deep in some other projects and this thread was brought to my attention today.  Previously, Customer Service had mentioned to myself and the QA/QC teams that there were complaints regarding this specific card. 
Separately I had read things from both Frontier and Blizzard stating issues with ALL overclocked cards, this leads me to believe we may be looking at 2 separate issues: 
1) Blizzard and Frontier software simply doesn't like OC'd cards (infact when the issue started with elite, it happened on NVidia AND AMD cards as well) seen plenty of posts indicating that.   Blizzard has said this off and on over the years and it is usually resolved by the combination of a Game patch and a Driver update.  Mainly why I believe there are 2 separate issues.
2)  Next, specific complaints about the 2986 (FTW) card.  This week we did receive a few of the FTW cards back that were RMA'd so we could test them and see if we can find a root cause of the problems.  Most of the cards we have received we cannot force a failure on (barring ridiculous overclocks/ turning off fans/nonsense like that) including the OP's card, we did however get a few with the problems described.  Currently we have several cards that we are sending to engineering, that we had received back from RMA citing this issue and had been tested here already, this is a mix of cards that both passed and failed our testing to provide as much info as possible for narrowing down the route cause.

This community has largely functioned as well as it has because (with a few feisty exceptions) this community REALLY tries to help each other.  So on that note I will make a request.  Any of you who do an RMA for the 980FTW having issues EVERYWHERE (NOT if it is ONLY Elite, Hero's of the Storm, or The Repopulation (not familiar with Repopulation before this thread) and it works great at stock clocks or even overclocked EVERYWHERE else but these couple games, then this will be a game and/or driver issue) if the cards are NOT downclocked, please follow up with me, drop me a PM.  Let me know the RMA number and a FULL system spec, hardware and OS.  I frankly have no interest in pointing fingers at any company, it is not my nature, BUT, with an issue like this that we are having a hard time reproducing here the more information we can get, the better.  If you want to put your spec here, that is fine, but if the info can be PM'd to me, or even emailed that would be a big help.  The more information we can get, the better.
Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 18:02:35 (permalink)
Thank you so much for acknowledging this issue, EVGATech_DaveB; I've sent you a PM as requested, as I am one of the customers that is experiencing crashing regardless of the application without down clocking my FTW.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 18:46:33 (permalink)
It's good to see some action taking place on the FTW. Nice. I hope you all get it resolved soon.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 19:19:09 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveBThis week we did receive a few of the FTW cards back that were RMA'd so we could test them and see if we can find a root cause of the problems.  Most of the cards we have received we cannot force a failure on (barring ridiculous overclocks/ turning off fans/nonsense like that)

Just some info for you that might help.
Most likely you will not be able to force the black screen BSOD by testing the card with crazy OC when the power draw is constant.

Tools like Furmark, EVGA OC tool, MSI Kombustor... and so on will draw a constant 100% power or more.

You can run those tools for hours and as long as the power draw is not fluctuating to much you will not crash.
From what I noticed the issue starts when the power draw is all over the place because the scenes are always changing in the game.
No game will draw a constant 100% power like the Furmark benchmark.

3dmark skydiver is a perfect example of this. With power draw jumping all over it will crash the card in minutes.

Also noticed that enabling higher anisotropic filtering, higher tessellation, forcing higher AA on a benchmark or a game will actually make it much more stable. And this actually makes sense because by doing that you are increasing the overall power draw and make it fluctuate less.

Anyway. Thanks for looking in to this. I hope we can find a solution that doesn't involve RMA. Hopefully a BIOS/Driver solution.
post edited by Samsander - 2015/06/12 19:22:34
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 20:19:21 (permalink)
Never expected this but i am very happy about it. I will test a bunch of games before i will sent it in for step up and sent a PM with system spec's, games tested, duration, settings, temps and everything else i find noteworthy. Hopefully You guys can somehow fix it. Good for anyone who isn't able to step up and only has the RMA option. 

I am probably one of the feisty one's i bet.  

Regards 

Almost forgot:
Samsander
3dmark skydiver is a perfect example of this. With power draw jumping all over it will crash the card in minutes.

I second this. It crashes everytime for me. 
post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/12 20:22:33
brahmzy
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 21:58:25 (permalink)
Well I just shipped my bunk 980FTW back to you today for my 980Ti step-up, but I have played none of those games listed. BF4 mainly, various drivers, various game patch levels always crashed this card until I downclocked it 100/100. It would also crash during 3DMark. None of my previous cards ever had an issue like this in the same box.
You all really need to help out the FTW owners here. I bought mine full well knowing I'd step out of it into the Ti, but if I had gotten stuck with it, Id have come unglued dealing with nonstop RMA nonsense.
Do the right thing eVGA - this is a good start.
Jshiver90
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/12 22:00:28 (permalink)
I'll verify that some of the benchmarks wouldn't crash my card; SkyDiver would do it every time, as would pretty much any game that was remotely graphically demanding.
djmorgan
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/13 00:25:55 (permalink)
Jshiver90
I'll verify that some of the benchmarks wouldn't crash my card; SkyDiver would do it every time, as would pretty much any game that was remotely graphically demanding.

EVGA GTX 980 FTW

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 @3.68GHZ CPU
1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 1600MHz
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
2 x Seagate ST31000524AS 1Tb @ 7200rpm
Dual 24" 144Hz 2Ms 1920 x 1080 monitors
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
Jshiver90
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/13 04:43:42 (permalink)
djmorgan
Jshiver90

EVGA GTX 980 FTW

Yes, you're right. This thread and the feedback asked from the EVGATECH is totally unwarranted because your card works fine. How silly of everyone.
sectek
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/15 08:23:50 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
Hello all, been hip deep in some other projects and this thread was brought to my attention today.  Previously, Customer Service had mentioned to myself and the QA/QC teams that there were complaints regarding this specific card. 
Separately I had read things from both Frontier and Blizzard stating issues with ALL overclocked cards, this leads me to believe we may be looking at 2 separate issues: 
1) Blizzard and Frontier software simply doesn't like OC'd cards (infact when the issue started with elite, it happened on NVidia AND AMD cards as well) seen plenty of posts indicating that.   Blizzard has said this off and on over the years and it is usually resolved by the combination of a Game patch and a Driver update.  Mainly why I believe there are 2 separate issues.
2)  Next, specific complaints about the 2986 (FTW) card.  This week we did receive a few of the FTW cards back that were RMA'd so we could test them and see if we can find a root cause of the problems.  Most of the cards we have received we cannot force a failure on (barring ridiculous overclocks/ turning off fans/nonsense like that) including the OP's card, we did however get a few with the problems described.  Currently we have several cards that we are sending to engineering, that we had received back from RMA citing this issue and had been tested here already, this is a mix of cards that both passed and failed our testing to provide as much info as possible for narrowing down the route cause.

This community has largely functioned as well as it has because (with a few feisty exceptions) this community REALLY tries to help each other.  So on that note I will make a request.  Any of you who do an RMA for the 980FTW having issues EVERYWHERE (NOT if it is ONLY Elite, Hero's of the Storm, or The Repopulation (not familiar with Repopulation before this thread) and it works great at stock clocks or even overclocked EVERYWHERE else but these couple games, then this will be a game and/or driver issue) if the cards are NOT downclocked, please follow up with me, drop me a PM.  Let me know the RMA number and a FULL system spec, hardware and OS.  I frankly have no interest in pointing fingers at any company, it is not my nature, BUT, with an issue like this that we are having a hard time reproducing here the more information we can get, the better.  If you want to put your spec here, that is fine, but if the info can be PM'd to me, or even emailed that would be a big help.  The more information we can get, the better.

I RMA'd mine through Newegg.  But if your looking into this:  Get one of the RMA'd cards.  Download and install the F2P game Archeage.  Get a glider.  Jump off the nearest cliff and fly.  Wait for crash (2-10 seconds).  This causes the card to go from low utilization to max quickly and reliably reproduces the issue.

My build (brand new pc)
16 GB G.Skill 1866
Maximus Hero VII
1 TB Samsung Pro SSD
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
EVGA 1000W Platinum PS
post edited by sectek - 2015/06/15 13:54:30
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/15 13:50:27 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

Below is my hardware.  I also PM'd you with this info and the RMA #s.

I RMA'd 2 cards.  The 1st FTW card had problems out the box - constant and immediate crashes.  I spoke with tech after reading in the Nvida forum that it was a BIOS issue (I had the bad BIOS) and EVGA sent me a BIOS, but that did not fix the problem and was told to RMA the card.  I reinstalled the 2x 680 and it hummed along without a hiccup.  When I spoke with Tech about the 1st card I was told that the card did not past the test.  I recently RMA'd the 2nd card as it started down the same road as the 1st card.  I had to down clock the card by 100mhz to play my games - BF3, BF4 and FC4.  I ran everything at stock settings to eliminate any OC issues.  I hope the company shares its findings.

Case: HAF 932 Advance
CPU: i7-2600K (stock)
Memory: Gskill Trident (1866 @ 32gb)
MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW
PSU: Corsair AX750 Gold 80+
Monitors: U3011, U2412
post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/06/15 14:01:40

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Psytech
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 05:52:10 (permalink)
Hi DaveB,

I've been experimenting the same crash-and-reset-computer errors with my 980 FTW ACX2.0 in the Witcher 3 game. The only way I can avoid it is by using PrecisionX and downclocking by -100MHz in both clocks. If it helps you, the error happens when I'm in underground or "cold" places (lots of particles in the air, dust, wind, etc.). I also play Dota 2, and this has NEVER happened to me in Dota 2, only in Witcher 3, and not anywhere else.

My specs are:
CPU: i7-4790K stock  
Memory: GSkill X Series 2x8Gb 2133 stock
MOBO: Gygabite Black Edition LGA 1150

Thank you for your help.

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 07:05:04 (permalink)
The only reason why the "4k method" makes sense is it because it's making the card use all the power it can to render the images necessary to obtain a certain FPS rating, and it also causes the card to push the power, and locking it at that power mode, preventing the power required to operate from fluctuating up and down, as soon as you get a power spike (a drop in power), it causes the card to hang. (think of it as Vdroop in the bios from Intel) as soon as you drop to 1080p or so, I'm assuming that the card is no longer requiring alot of power and that is when the power spikes start to occure, because there are only certain areas on 1080p that require certain power, especially with an FTW, obviously. THen (another assumption) before the GPU can underclock itself, the power already decreased "too much", causing the GPU to hang due to the driver no longer responding, giving you a 116 error code. What happens if you try to enable "maximum power" in the 3d settings?

So, again, it's a power issue for the FTW, and apparently a few guys figured out that the power is fluctuating up and down. That makes sense.

Obviously that looked like a blob of text, but i hope it makes a little sense to you guys. If there was an "Nvidia Vdroop" it would most definately help the FTW.

Would this help the FTW at all?? http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-MB-PB01-BR
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/16 07:32:15

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Jshiver90
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 08:56:06 (permalink)
stalinx20
The only reason why the "4k method" makes sense is it because it's making the card use all the power it can to render the images necessary to obtain a certain FPS rating, and it also causes the card to push the power, and locking it at that power mode, preventing the power required to operate from fluctuating up and down, as soon as you get a power spike (a drop in power), it causes the card to hang. (think of it as Vdroop in the bios from Intel) as soon as you drop to 1080p or so, I'm assuming that the card is no longer requiring alot of power and that is when the power spikes start to occure, because there are only certain areas on 1080p that require certain power, especially with an FTW, obviously. THen (another assumption) before the GPU can underclock itself, the power already decreased "too much", causing the GPU to hang due to the driver no longer responding, giving you a 116 error code. What happens if you try to enable "maximum power" in the 3d settings?

So, again, it's a power issue for the FTW, and apparently a few guys figured out that the power is fluctuating up and down. That makes sense.

Obviously that looked like a blob of text, but i hope it makes a little sense to you guys. If there was an "Nvidia Vdroop" it would most definately help the FTW.

Would this help the FTW at all?? http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-MB-PB01-BR

I've tried the "maximum power" setting, and it just resulted in more frequent black screens; usually immediately after starting an application that utilized the GPU.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 12:32:15 (permalink)
Jshiver90
stalinx20

I've tried the "maximum power" setting, and it just resulted in more frequent black screens; usually immediately after starting an application that utilized the GPU.

Yes, like I said in this post http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2351842 the problem is not the core clock it's the fluctuating power draw.
Enabling "Maximum Performance" or "K-Boost" will lock your core clock while you are in 3D or in Boost mode but the card will still be unstable depending on the power draw that the game requires. If it fluctuates to much to fast everything crashes.

Now I wonder where is EVGATech_DaveB and if there are any good news with a possible solution coming from engineering that he sent those cards to.
Or is this the last we will hear from EVGA and there is nothing to be done here?
post edited by Samsander - 2015/06/16 12:40:26
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 14:07:16 (permalink)

Samsander
Yes, like I said in this post http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2351842 the problem is not the core clock it's the fluctuating power draw.
Enabling "Maximum Performance" or "K-Boost" will lock your core clock while you are in 3D or in Boost mode but the card will still be unstable depending on the power draw that the game requires. If it fluctuates to much to fast everything crashes.

Now I wonder where is EVGATech_DaveB and if there are any good news with a possible solution coming from engineering that he sent those cards to.
Or is this the last we will hear from EVGA and there is nothing to be done here?

It is good that this point is being stressed, in their initial report they said they didn't find much and they won't if they run their card just by standard benchmarks. My card could loop firestrike overnight but fail Skydiver every time. So the issue is not with the GPU itself being bad, but rather with some other component on the board (VRM most likely?)
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 14:10:09 (permalink)
I'm wondering if that pcie stabilizer that I posted would do anything?

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 14:31:40 (permalink)
stalinx20

No clue, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't make ANY sense to buy an accessory in an attempt to fix a fault in another product that should be working out of the box to begin with. It might be something for the EVGA techs to play around with though in the hopes they find what's going on with those cards.
VGAMASTER198
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 15:33:16 (permalink)
The GTX 980 FTW cards are from what I've seen the least reliable GTX 980 variant eVGA makes.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."

TheBuG
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 16:07:30 (permalink)
Having some issues with it as well. And completely random... Running the following setup.

Asus ROG Maximus VII
Intel i5 4690k @ 4.0 Ghz OC (Disabled this as well to see if it was my CPU, rather than my GPU)
EVGA Geforce GTX 980 FTW
16GB Corsair Dominator
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Corsair RM 750 PSU.

Most of the time, BF4 runs completely fine. The game is probably one of the most demanding games on my PC at the moment, however, playing with everything in ultra is just fine. Games like Lego Worlds, ARK Survival Evolved, even Heroes of the Storm (Mostly when sudden action (aka team fights) suddenly happen), cause a black screen. I've entered the step up program just to get away from these problems.
djmorgan
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 16:35:17 (permalink)
Anybody that has these crashes, they won't occur without warning and especially with windows 7 you will find an 'item' in the event viewer explaining why the issue came about.

David

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 @3.68GHZ CPU
1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 1600MHz
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
2 x Seagate ST31000524AS 1Tb @ 7200rpm
Dual 24" 144Hz 2Ms 1920 x 1080 monitors
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 21:31:04 (permalink)
Red46
stalinx20

No clue, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't make ANY sense to buy an accessory in an attempt to fix a fault in another product that should be working out of the box to begin with. It might be something for the EVGA techs to play around with though in the hopes they find what's going on with those cards.

of course it doesn't. I was trying to think of another avenue for the victims that are stuck at the continuous RMAing and are paased the 90 day step-up. if that accessary fixes it (who knows) it might be a good temporary resolution until evga (if they do) decide to come up with a resolution to the problem. But who is going to bother with such item with no guarantee, and why should they need to buy that to begin with. I hear you....

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
KhanInsanity
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/16 22:30:17 (permalink)
I wish I hadn't early adopted these 980FTW. My step up window expired right before the 980Ti came out. Now I'm stuck with 3 of these 980 FTWs and I get crashes anytime I try to use NVIDIA Surround on 5760x1080 for more than 10 minutes in any game. Frankly that was the whole point on buying these cards. I would give anything to be able to Step-Up and be rid of these cards. First product from EVGA that has ever given me Buyer's Remorse. :(

EVGA X99 FTW (150-HE-E997-KR)
Intel Core i7 5930K
EVGA Supernova 1300G2 PSU
32GB Corsair DDR3 CMK32GX4M4A2666C16
3 X EVGA GTX 980FTW

wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/17 01:19:29 (permalink)
djmorgan
Anybody that has these crashes, they won't occur without warning and especially with windows 7 you will find an 'item' in the event viewer explaining why the issue came about.

David

Holy crap! Are You some kind of genius? Quick everyone check Your event viewer! So much discussion over this problem in several threads and all we had to do was check the event viewer! Damn, how didn't someone think of that before! 

I am sorry i have enough of this crap. The card has issues and i will have my 980Ti by next week. To everyone who has this issues either return it or Step Up if You can, if not, RMA it or sell it and get a better model from EVGA or a card from another vendor. By the time there is something done about this issue (if at all), pascal will probably be out and no one cares anymore anyway.

Honestly save yourselves some headache and jump ship. 

Wayne of House Wicked, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

This was a shameful display of my behavior towards other members of this community. I tend to go off the rails and get overzealous fast recently and i apologize. Any explanation i could give wouldn't excuse this so this is all i can say.

To djMorgan and to everyone else i offended, i am sorry. I will refrain from doing this again in the future.  
post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/17 13:02:08
n3xuz
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/17 02:35:41 (permalink)
VGAMASTER198
The GTX 980 FTW cards are from what I've seen the least reliable GTX 980 variant eVGA makes.

the 980 Hydro Copper is around the same league sitting on Refrence PCB (i guess) clocked up as high as the classified cards but on 2x6pin as a water cooled card, have RMAed 2 cards already sitting on my third and have driver crash galore on drivers 350.xx and up sitting on 347.88 atm and for now it seems very stable no crashes yet

Intel I7-4790k
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Kingston FuryX 16GB 1600MHz
Corsair HX750W
EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper

been reinstalling my comp a few times driver changes back and forth, even though EVGA support says the 2 cards i sent in has passed their testing it fails my gaming since those cards where stable in 3dmark but not in real gaming atleast for me :P

[CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8GHz]
[MB: Asus Formula VII Hero ROG]
[GFX: EVGA Gefore GTX 980 Hydro Copper @ 1495/2000]
[RAM: Kingston Fury 1600MHz 16GB]
[Case: Fractal Define R5]
[SSD: 2xIntel 330 120GB Raid 0 + Samsung 850 Pro 1TB]
[Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm]
[Mic: Blue Snowball]
[DAC/AMP: Asus Xonar Essence One]
VGAMASTER198
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/17 03:25:13 (permalink)
The FTW are the least reliable in the EVGA range :/

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile