BSOD = Blue screen of death                
BCLK = Bus clock / Cpu Host Frequency  
VCORE =  CPU Voltage / CPU Core Voltage
RAM = Random Access Memory
VDIMM = Memory Voltage / Dimm Voltage / Ram Voltage
QPI = Quick-path Interconnect 
PLL = Phase-Locked Loop
CPU = Central Processing Unit  
IMC= Internal Memory Controller (the IMC is on the CPU)
VTT = Voltage Tracking Termination
CPU VTT = IMC Voltage
HT = Hyper Threading (originally known as Multi Threading) intel renamed it

The main hint in overclocking is to work with the cpu first, and tweak the ram later. If you run your RAM a good amount below specifications, it should be stable as long as it is not too far below spec, then you will have to lower the vdimm below factory specifications (i.e., 1.65 dropped down to 1.62 to compensate) because too much vdimm can cause instability. Even if you set the vdimm to the manufacturer's specifications (usually 1.65v) it can still be too much. if you are running 1866mhz ram at 1600mhz you will want to lower the VDIMM to around 1.62 or possibly even lower. Unfortunately, due to the limit of DRAM ratio's i.e., 2:6, 2:8, 2:10, 2:12 etc. It only leaves you so many options for memory speed. You will notice that overclocking the CPU in small increments also overclocks the ram equally. So, keep an eye on the Actual DDR3 speed so you don't go over factory speeds. You can calculate the cpu speed by multiplying the base clock with the multiplier. 133 base clock/bus speed and a multiplier value of 21 = 2793 (intel rounds that up to 2.8ghz in the spec sheet) For calculating ram you take the base clock and multiplier it by the 2nd number in the DRAM ratio.  So, 133 base clock at 2:10 dram ratio, we use the 10 to multiply... 133x10= 1333mhz ram speed.

If you crash with your memory below spec, its most likely because the CPU voltages are unstable. Once you can pass 50+ Linx tests and 11 hours of prime95 blend, then you can speed up the RAM knowing that any crashes you may encounter are because of incorrect RAM related voltages (VTT and Vdimm).  VTT will need to be increased along with the CPU Uncore Frequency (usually +50mv for every 200mhz increase on Uncore)

When going from stock (Core i7 920 @ 2.66ghz) all the way up beyond 4ghz, all you really need to change is CPU Vcore, CPU VTT and QPI PLL Vcore and manually set Vdimm to manufacturer's specification. Everything else can be left on Auto. A lot of us like to lower the CPU PLL Vcore and IOH PLL Vcore because 1.8/Auto is just too high in most cases (Lower is always better).  Set the QPI Frequency Selection to 4.8gt/s,  that is the native speed for the the Core i7 920. As you overclock that speed goes up regardless to what it says in the bios. I've had no problems leaving that on auto.   

Manually set your memory voltage and timings to the manufacturer's specifications.

Make sure the difference between the CPU VTT and Vdimm is NOT greater than 0.5 volts. So if your VTT is +0mv (this comes out as 1.100v on a Non-Classified board) DO NOT set your vdimm to anything higher than 1.60vUse a .45 difference just to be on the safe side.
VTT @ +0mv = 1.200v on Classified boards, and 1.100v on Non-Classified Boards.
Each mv represents .001v   So starting from 1.200 add 75mv you get 1.275, add 100mv and you get 1.300.
So lets say your Vdimm is 1.70 in bios. Subtract (0.45) from the vdimm and that will give you your lowest safe VTT.
Math Formula:  (1.7) - (0.45) = 1.250
1.250 comes out to +50mv on a Classified board and +150mv on a Non-Classified Board. Keep the difference within this range to be on the safe side.

Once you get the memory set, and out of the way. You should find out what your default vcore is.  Mine is 1.29375, When I set my vcore on auto, 1.29375 shows up in the bios as my actual cpu vcore. If you have a high default vcore, like 1.3 or above, this means you probably have a voltage hungry chip, and wont be getting an extreme overclock. Now that you know your default vcore,  Leave Vcore on AUTO and set (With Vdroop)  OR.... set your vcore 3 to 4 notches lower than the auto setting and set (without vdroop).  Either way your vcore should be about the same during a 100% linx Load when using E-Leet to monitor.

Vdroop Control Explained
(Without vdroop)= during 100% load the vcore will jump up .023 to .032 volts. So if it's set to 1.25 in bios. You should see 1.273v to 1.282v during 100% cpu usage. 
(With vdroop)= during 100% load the vcore will drop .03 to .05 volts. So if its set to 1.29375 in bios. You should see 1.24 to 1.26 during load. This also is a safety feature designed by intel so the cpu doesn't receive dangerous voltage spikes during load. 
Note: The vdroop/vgain can be more drastic if you are not using a Classified board.
I leave vdroop off because i dont like seeing such a high vcore when idling, when its off, what you set in bios is right about what you get during idle. Vdroop is used for safety reasons, mainly to keep the Vcore from spiking during heavy cpu tasks.

Here I will try to explain what each MAIN voltage setting is for.
CPU Vcore is the main voltage for the CPU Speed in Mhz/Ghz
CPU VTT controls the Uncore Frequency. CPU VTT is the main voltage for the IMC, which is on the CPU.
QPI PLL keeps the on-chip memory controller in sync with the bclk. Whatever that means lol                      
VDIMM  is the main voltage for the RAM.
IOH Vcore sets voltage for the north bridge which connects to the PCIE2.0, GPU, Memory, and CPU.
IOH/ICH I/O  I think this is a voltage for the USB ports and possibly firewall and ethernet.
ICH Vcore sets voltage for the South Bridge which connects all motherboard features, cards (not PCIE2.0), and drives, to the CPU/memory on the North Bridge.

Manually set these settings into your bios
   Set your CPU VTT to 1.3v, this should be good for a 3400mhz Uncore Frequency (a 2:10 DRAM ratio at around 3.6ghz cpu speed will give you 3400mhz on the Uncore frequency). If your auto setting for CPU Vcore is 1.3125v or above you should shoot for a lower first overclock, like 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz. If you do decide to go for a lower overclock start off with CPU VTT @ 1.2 and go up from there. 

The CPU VTT Voltage can stay the same regardless of how high you overclock, as long as your Uncore Frequency stays the same as well.
Either use Turbo Mode or lower the multiplier down to any ODD number ie.. x19. Using the  x20 multiplier requires more vcore at the same cpu speed. So if you must drop the multiplier use x19 or x21 for best results.

Turn HT OFF for your first overclock. This will help keep your temps nice and low. This will also give you more accurate BSOD's. Take a look at my BSOD section below, the Unknown Hardware Error BSOD will occur more often when HT is ON. That error usually points straight to the VTT voltage, but in this case, more Vcore was needed.
Note: Having HT on requires about .03 - .04 more on the CPU VCore when compared to HT OFF. It is also about 8-10 degrees hotter on the CPU during load. 
Make sure CPU UNCORE Frequency is 2x the DRAM Ratio. So if you are using a 2:8 ratio, make sure UNCORE is at 16x. (2x8=16) 

OVERCLOCK!  
     When you increase the bclck/cpu host frequency, you will see what your cpu speed is going to be. Shoot for somewhere between 3.2 and 3.4ghz if this is your first overclock, and this CPU can definitely do it. If you have an i7 920 D0, shoot for 3.4 - 3.6 for your first try.

Now that you've selected your cpu speed, double check everything. Here is what you should see...
Intel Speed Step = Disabled
Turbo mode = Enabled
HT = Disabled                      
Execute Disable bit = Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Actual CPU speed = 3220mhz - 3640mhz (depending on what you put)
bclck/cpu host freq. = 153 - 173  (same as above)
I used 153 - 173, as this is where you should start. Try 173 bclck if you are feeling bold, it should be fine.
Ram divider = 2:8 
(make sure ram speed is not over its rated speed, preferably slightly underclocked)

Since my ram speed is 2000mhz I can use 2:10.  Even 2:12 on low overclocks, but its usually a crap shoot because the 2:12 overclocks my uncore frequency way too high, and I you dont want to run higher than 1.45v on VTT for 24/7  usage.
RAM Timings =  (whatever your specific ram is rated to run at) ie. 8-8-8-24
Set trfc to 88, you can lower this once stable if you wish
CPU Uncore Frequency  = x16
Vcore = Auto (without vdroop)
CPU VTT = +100mv
Vdimm  = 1.65v  ( this is my ram's stock voltage, as specified by the manufacturer. DO NOT copy me, your ram might be 1.5v, make sure you check!)

Leave everything else on AUTO.

"These settings are good for 3220mhz - 3730mhz on my system. Once I fine tune the 3220mhz overclock, I find I can lower the Vcore to 1.100v and CPU VTT to +0mv." So after getting it stable, tweaking the voltages down as low as possible is your next priority!

Once you get all that situated in your bios, hit save and exit, and boot into windows. Find yourself Linx 0.6.4 or newer if there is one (i'm currently using 0.6.4). Double click the LinX application, (ie. LinX.exe) and look at the "Physical Memory Available" Bar. You want to make sure the "Memory(MiB)" is set to use "ALL" memory. You can select it by clicking ALL.  So, if the Physical Memory Available is 4838MB (like mine is right now) when you click "ALL" it should be set to somewhere very close like 4834MB. Forget about the problem size as this is directly related to the amount of physical memory available for usage.
NOTE: The more memory you use, the longer the tests will take to complete.
     Dont forget to set the amount of tests to run, or the amount of time to run. Its on the top right of linX. I like to do 3-4 tests while watching temps and GFLOPS. If the GFLOPS continue to decrease in descending order, it could mean your vcore is already too low. 1 notch up on vcore should be enough to fix it so the GFLOPS stay consistent.  You can usually tell after 3 or 4 tests.
Example of too low Vcore....
TEST 1 GFLOPS  39.8758
TEST 2 GFLOPS  39.6852
TEST 3 GFLOPS  39.4286 ---------- I usually stop it right here if i see this. When I see test 3 doesn't jump up
TEST 4 GFLOPS  39.3198                 above test 1 or 2 this means vcore is too low and most likely unstable.

Note:
 Make sure you have ALL programs closed (with the exception of monitoring software) and don't browse the web while testing, this can cause drops in your GFLOP numbers. Sometimes the gflop's will look fine after 3 or 4 test, but you will still get an error during LinX as a result of too low vcore. Increasing the Vcore a little will most likely allow you to pass that error. Linx errors after 10 tests is usually VTT related but could still be Vcore. Linx errors before 5-10 tests is almost always Vcore.

Once you have your vcore in a good spot, run 50 - 75 Tests with ALL memory to be sure your Vcore and VTT voltage's are stable. You can quit here and risk having a crash someday, or run prime95 blend for at least 12 hours.  Once you pass all those tests, then you can start lowering voltages. For example, I like to get ALL my voltages to there lowest stable setting. CPU PLL and IOH PLL are 2 voltages that can be lowered below AUTO setting. Vdimm can be lowered below spec setting if your ram is underclocked. I recommend prime95 blend for any testing longer than 10 hours. It is not as hot, and more reliable to crash you if something is wrong in your memory configuration. LinX is more reliable to crash you if there is something wrong in your CPU Vcore or VTT configuration. Prime95Blend for 12+ hours is the best way to determine overall system stability.

What are Safe Voltages for my board?

Well to start off... Intel says to not go over 1.55 Vcore or 1.35 VTT. I personally think they are crazy but this is what is in their spec sheet. Read about it here
Vdimm should stay at 1.65 or below. If you must over volt your ram make sure it is within the VTT range.
Any voltage that is below 1.200 at stock should not be raised above 1.45 (to be on the safe side)
This includes QPI PLL, ICH Vcore, IOH Vcore, and CPU VTT

Here I explain a few BSOD's
Clock interrupt was not recieved on secondary processor Almost 90% of the time it means Vcore is too low. Could also be incorrect Vdimm and QPI PLL in some cases. 

Uncorrectable Hardware error 90% of the time this means VTT is too low. Having HT On will usually give you this BSOD instead of the CPU Clock interrupt BSOD.

These 3 crashes below can be the most difficult to figure out.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUALThis usually happens when multiple settings are off  ie. Uncore Frequency too high, Vcore too low, Memory speed/timings too fast, VTT too low. This can also happen when your memory is unstable.
System locks up and stays locked up (picture on screen is frozen) This usually happens when your memory is unstable or if your uncore frequency and VTT are off. This can also happen when you try to surpass your max bclk (the max your cpu can do).
System just restarts without any warnings  This is a sign that multiple settings are most likely way off. There is'nt one particular setting that causes this. It could be a number of things all at once ie. vcore too low, VTT not in the sweet spot (not too high and not too low) memory speed/timings too high, uncore freq too high, vdimm.... etc.

If you cant seem to fix it, lower your overclock 100mhz, preferably go back to where you were stable. If it means going back 200mhz then that's fine. This time do a smaller jump in mhz, +100mhz instead of +200mhz (ex. 3.8ghz to 3.9ghz instead of 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz). See how much vcore you need, you are still going higher than your last stable overclock. You might find that this time going from (example 3.8 to 3.9) requires the same bump in vcore as 3.6 to 3.8 did. This will help you have an idea on how much vcore and VTT to set for the next 100mhz (3.9 to 4ghz) 

(you can set windows to not automatically restart after a BSOD) This way if your PC crashes while you were gone, when you come back the BSOD will still be on the screen.

To do this right click the My Computer icon and click properties. Then click advanced system settings and look for startup and recovery and click the settings button. In here you should see System Failure and under it a few check box's. Uncheck Automatically Restart and click ok.

Ok I'm stable at 3.6 - 3.9ghz now what? I want MORE!!!

If you want more, you are going to have to give more voltage. Same rule's apply though, keep memory under clocked. Don't just jump right for 4ghz+ unless you know your cooling can handle it. Not everyone can do 4ghz+ with safe temps.

So if you're stable at these 3.6ghz settings...
(These are just example settings)
3.640ghz
bclck = 173 
Vcore = Auto/1.29375    (with vdroop)
VTT =  +100
QPI PLL = Auto 
    Now you can bump up the voltages and go for a higher overclock. Moving up in increments of 100 - 200 mhz will give you a better idea on how much to increase the voltages. So for 3.640 to 3.850, I am going to add 0.05v on the Vcore, +50mv on the VTT, and 0.025 on the QPI PLL Vcore. Keep the same ram divider you used before, if you have to lower the ram divider then you will also be able to lower the VTT. Keep an eye on what VTT you need at certain Uncore Frequencies. ie. I use +100VTT for 3466mhz Uncore.
3.85ghz should look something like this with your first try, assuming the above settings are your lowest stable settings.

3.85ghz
bclck = 183
vcore= 1.34 (with vdroop)
VTT =  +150
QPI PLL = 1.125 (probably could stay at auto)

4ghz+ Overclocking
     Now for 4ghz and up. This is where it starts to get extreme. This should only be done if you are positive your cooling can handle it. CPU PWM, VTT PWM and CPU ImpedanceQPI Comensation come into play when you get this high. You can start turning these up a little to help with your overclock. If your temps are too high on the Vreg just leave CPU PWM and VTT PWM alone as this should not stop you from reaching your goal.
QPI Compensation set to Less can help a high overclock but may cause further instability.
CPU Impedance set to less also helps a high overclock but not always. These settings are different for everyone.

The Main steps for overclocking 4ghz + 
Step 1: Make an educated guess as to where you should set the VCore, VTT, and QPI PLL. Refer to your lower overclocks for an estimation. 
Step 2: Run LinX with ALL memory.             
Step 3: If Gflops are good (not descending) continue testing until you pass 50 tests or until you crash. If you get a linx error or crash and your Gflops are looking good, it could still need more vcore so give it a bump.                      
Step 4: If you crash refer to my BSOD section, hopefully you were there to see the BSOD.
Step 5: Depending on what crash you've received you need to adjust 1 to 2 settings at a time, then test again. Raise or lower each setting at a time by 1 or 2 notch increments and then test. If that doesn't help change it back and adjust something else. The goal is to get farther and farther into testing. Keep repeating this until you are able to go further. The more tests you can pass, the closer you are to getting 100% stable.
Step 6: Don't forget to tweak CPU PLL, IOH PLL(Classified only), QPI PLL. These are very important for 4ghz+ overclocks. Always start low.

Here is a nice low overclock that doesn't bottleneck my video cards and gives me optimum gaming performance with minimum voltage.

3.42ghz  HT/Turbo ON @ 1.164v during load (1.15625 in bios (without vdroop)).
CPU HOST FREQUENCY = 163
DRAM RATIO 2:10
Uncore Frequency = 3253mhz (x20)
RAM = 2000mhz 8-8-8-24 underclocked to 1633mhz 6-6-6-15
QPI PLL VCORE = 1.1        (AUTO)
IOH PLL VCORE = 1.275    (auto = 1.8)
CPU PLL VCORE = 1.275    (auto = 1.8)
VDIMM                = 1.63     (spec = 1.65)
CPU VTT              = +25mv  (1.225)
IOH Vcore          =  AUTO  (1.1)
IOH/ICH I/O     =  AUTO  (1.5)
ICH VCore          =  AUTO  (1.05)

Max temps after 3 hours 100% LinX load.....
Hottest CPU Core 1 = 58c with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and 2x3000rpm fans push/pull
North Bridge = 48c (no fan)
Vreg = 45c
System = 35c 

Here are a bunch of my full Bios Templates, along with others submitted from fellow evga members.
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=179016

I'm stable at my goal overclock, but my ram is still low, how can I speed it up? 

You can either lower the timings to your ram, or up the divider.. ie 2:8 to 2:10. I recommend using the 2:8 divider with lower timings as this is easier and keeps the uncore frequency low. Lets say your ram is rated 1600mhz but is only running at somewhere between 1400 and 1500. That is as much as 100 to 200 mhz below stock. So with that you should be able to lower your timings from 8-8-8-24 to 7-7-7-20 ( or 7-7-7-20 to 6-6-6-18) while keeping the vdimm at 1.65v. If it crashes try upping the vdimm. Raising the vdimm is a necessity when overclocking ram. Lowering the Vdimm can also help in the overall overclock stability when your ram is underclocked. So if your ram is 200 - 300 mhz underclocked you should be able to lower the vdimm from 1.65 to 1.63. Remember too much vdimm can be unstable! If you use the 2:10 divider and it overclocks your ram beyond 1600mhz, you will have to either raise the vdimm or loosen the ram timings (possibly even both). This should all be done after you've completed a full round of testing. ie. 50-75 tests of linx and 11+ hours of prime95blend. Then just use prime95 blend to test your overclocked ram, knowing that you already passed 11 hours with it underclocked, now if it crashes you will know you have to tweak the ram related motherboard settings ie. Vdimm, VTT and Timings. 

Here is some good info on vdimm voltages. Here is a quote from the article...
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3426
Personally, with the right board, cooling, and BIOS settings, 1.7V~1.8V should be fine
"BIOS settings" as in...  the difference between the CPU VTT and Vdimm is NOT greater than 0.5 volts.

WARNING

DO NOT use E-Leet for changing the NB voltages, ie. IOH/ICH, IOH VCORE, ICH VCORE. It can cause extreme instability and you may have to re-install windows to fix it.  It's something weird that corrupts the display driver if you change them while running any type of graphics. May not happen the first time but if done too many times it can happen. It comes out of nowhere and hardlocks your system during gaming even though you are stable.

I only use E-Leet to tweak Vcore or VTT after a LinX error. Or to see if my current voltages that I've set in the bios can overclock any higher. It is best to do all your main overclocking settings in the bios. Then test. If you get a simple linx error then you can increase a voltage in E-Leet.

A few good Questions and Answers

I read a thread on here about VDROOP... it seems like it might be better for the CPU to keep it on... will this greatly impede my OC'ing?

No, it doesnt Impede your overclock at all. I like it because it keeps the vcore low when idle and only bumps it up during load. Others like it on. I prefer it off. I believe you can acheive cooler temps with it being off. 

Also, HTing... it seems that you can get a better OC with it off. What provides better performance?
    It's not that your overclock is any better because it's off, it's just that you will be able to set your vcore .04 volts lower, and your temps will be around 8 degrees lower as well. In the battle of 3.6ghz w/ HT on vs 4ghz w/ HT off. The 3.6ghz is actually hotter but also provides the best performance because I am using windows 7. Most people would say to turn HT OFF in XP and Vista because the OS doesn't support it, some say it still helps a little, its your call here. 

Another question... right now I'm at 3.6 with 173x21 ... but this only gives me about 1300mhz on my RAM! If I were to increase it from 2:8 to 2:10 it would blow me over to 1700mhz... so what do I do? 

Dont blow over to 1700mhz thats for sure. The only way to get your ram higher now is to either increase the overclock on the cpu or lower the timings. But all this comes after you test out stable. You dont want to start messing with the timings when you aren't sure if the vcore and vtt is stable. Once you are stable then you can come back and set the ram timings lower. For example your at 173bclck  1300mhz 8-8-8-24,  set the ram to 7-7-7-18 and test to see if that is still stable.

...example 1300mhz 7-7-7-18 is probably equal to 1550mhz 8-8-8-24

When you need more voltage (like when the GLFOPS are going down) how do you know whether its better to raise the VCORE or the VTT?

That Gflop trick is strictly for the Vcore.  VTT is different. Only LinX errors after 10 tests and the BSOD (Unknown Hardware error) will tell you that your VTT is off. If your GFLOPS are not descending as if your vcore is too low, and you do get a linX error, it is most likely the VTT that is too high or too low. Only trial and error will tell.

How much additional temp is 4000mhz going to cause? With a 76-77 max after a few LINX tests with 3.6ghz... how can I accomplish it?

I can tell you 4ghz is going to go over 85c. If you truly need 1.27 for 3.6ghz with HT on, then you will most likely need around 1.37vcore for 4ghz with HT ON. If you really want 4ghz you need better cooling or you need to turn HT OFF. I suggest you get yourself a nice stable 3.6ghz overclock and keep it that way. That's what I did. Yea, I can do 4ghz with 80c max temps and HT on but who cares, If I can get the same performance at 3.6ghz and keep my temps below 65c during linX, what do you think is better?

If i raise my qpi pll with this enable me to lower my vcore? or am i just dreaming? (read this on another site) 

I have found that once you have all the voltages "just right", you should be able to magically lower the vcore a little more. I used to think i needed 1.3625 for 4ghz, because anything lower than 1.36 would give me the 'cpu clock interrupt' BSOD (which usually means vcore is too low)

After hours of testing and after tweaking all my other voltages down or up, (while leaving the vcore at 1.36) I then gave a small bump in cpu pwm and then tried lowering the vcore once again. This time I was able to pass 50 tests with 1.3375 vcore.

Here is what I did.

My QPI PLL was a little higher than it should have been (but still rock solid stable with 1.36vcore). So I was able to lower that from 1.3 to 1.25.

Also my vdimm was too low. I used to run my ram at 1610mhz 6-6-6-18 @ 1.60 vdimm, and it would pass LinX for 50+ tests and I could game 24/7 without ever crashing... but Prime95blend would error on one of the threads. So I raised the vdimm to 1.63 and blend passed a full round of tests (about 11 hours)

CPU PLL was stable at 1.65v for 4ghz and 1.575 was not. IOH PLL can go down to 1.35 or even lower. Both of these default to 1.8 and I have not noticed a difference in temps when lowering them alone.

My VTT was also a little high. I was using +50mv and was able to lower it to +25mv.

Then I raised the CPU PWM 1 notch.

post edited by OV3RCLK4 - 2014/07/03 14:39:15

MSI Unify X
i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
2x16GB GSkill DDR5 6400mhz
EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Seasonic 850w Titanium Power Supply
Radiator: MO-RA3
Water Blocks: EK Supreme HF Full Copper and EK Quantum Vector FTW3
Pump/Res: XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP-655 Pump

373 Replies Related Threads

OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4130
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 19:54:46 (permalink)
    Thank you rjohnson11 
    post edited by Chronic420 - 2009/12/20 02:30:18

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    whodaddy
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 875
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 20:26:57 (permalink)

Man when someone spends as much time as Chonic did to explain a mild overclock for all these post in this thread "noob need help w overclock" And he takes his time to do that for them, I would not think someone would come in here and thread bash his post actually I think he should get a blue ribbon for doing it. By the way if you want to write a post about it go ahead, but don't come in here and call it garbage I think he did very well. good job Chronic. Try being help full not rude.
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2009/12/20 02:23:18

E-759 CLASSIFIED & I7 920 DO B261
    OCZ DDR 3 1600 Gold 6GS / TFC 480 and TFC 360 w KOOLANCE RAD SUPPORT

2x655 PUMPS IN SERIES/ BITS 150Z RES
    EK FULL COVERAGE BLOCK
    / BITS COMPRESSION/ROTARY FITTINGS
    EK HF SUPREME PLEXI COPPER CPU BLOCK 1/2X5/8 TUBING
    2x GTX 470 SC W EK BLOCKS/WD 150 RADPTOR WD 300 RAPTOR  WD 1TB

CORSAIR 800D CASE/CORSAIR HX-1000  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67849

Rona
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1502
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 20:46:02 (permalink)

Thrown around, sure. You have *zero* I see..

There is a right way and a wrong way to give criticism. I actually thought the same myself as I scanned over the post thinking "Really it's all up to each individual overclock" and had planned on posting something to the effect. However, once I seen your post I decided to let my thoughts remain idle. If you can't offer any criticism with polite words, don't offer it @ all.

Seriously... You remind me of the guy who argues with the cop cause he just knows he is right and still, SOMEHOW wonders why he still ended up in jail. Yes, this is a motherboard forum so an analogy to something involving a cop/jail may be far fetched but then again, maybe not. . .

Good work for trying to help people who just really have no idea about overclocking Chronic. Some people lose sight that everyone is new to this stuff once (I was just a few months ago) and sincerely has NO IDEA how to do it. Most of the people asking about overclocking questions have seated a grand total of one cpu in there life.

Guess which one it was...
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2009/12/20 02:24:17

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3444
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 21:57:20 (permalink)
    Helpful guide for beginners Chronic, Not perfect but none are. I would suggest though that people see how far they can get with everything on auto, except memory settings of course. Memory should be done as you suggest. Members who do not think Your "simple overclocking guide for dummies" is  helpful should suggest ways to improve it. Not be a jerk and trash it with nothing constructive, only chest pounding. The best thing is to not respond to them.  If you receive comments or suggestions that you like add them to your guide. That will make it evolve.
    d1eseL
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1077
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 22:23:37 (permalink)

What is this?  You are in no position to flame my friend.  You have posted no scores in your mods rigs.  You may be critical but dont put down a member on his blue ribbon count.  They mean nothing.  There are no perfect guides out there only ones that give insite to shortcuts here and there.  Alot of time was put into this.  Please dont flame.  Post some numbers or challenge me in any BM.
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2009/12/20 02:26:00

MOBO: X58 E760 Classy | CPU: i7 980X | GPUs: 3xGTX 470 Tri SLI w/Koolance blocks | MEM: Dominator GT 2000mhz | PSU's: Corsair TX950w, CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w | OS: Win 7 Pro

Kevfactor
    • Total Posts : 93
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 22:43:12 (permalink)
    for newbs like me this is pretty helpful. i wish i  had it about 6 months ago when i 1st started ocing past dummy oc

lot of these walk throughs get to tech and it's tough to tell the important stuff from the minor tweak. i just ended up teaching myself with about a week of trial and error.:) still dont really have much of a handle on voltages past watch for codes when bsod  but i at least have a stable 4g when i need it for pyhsics games hehe
    OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/19 23:47:17 (permalink)
    This was just meant to be a simple little guide I made for newbies who are just getting into the overclocking scene. Some people seemed to be getting confused with some of the terms used on the other guides. I tried to make one in "lamens terms"

Most of this guide is just cuts from a friends post the other night, where I was helping him get his first overclock going. He is very pleased with my help and I was very happy to help. I got him to a nice 3.85ghz that passed 40 linx tests on his first try. Makes me feel good when I know I've helped someone.

I would like people to post their overclocking related questions so I can add to the Questions & Answers section of my guide. Thanks everyone!

I am not trying to be named an elite overclocker or get some kind of rep over this. This is strictly for HELPING PEOPLE!

post edited by Chronic420 - 2009/12/20 02:25:58

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    ShockTheMonky
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10426
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 00:14:24 (permalink)
    Excuse me. Where along the line did you get the impression that what you had to say mattered? I saw nothing within his post that asked for your imput much less criticism. From the size of that yawn you posted I would say you need to take your tired a$$ along with tired a$$ remarks to bed.

Chronic: Pay him no mind because I doubt he has one. I'm sure alot of noobs with questions will find this quick little guide to be helpfull. Who cares if 1 doesn't. Good job.

BR should be in order. For the other guy. This ones for you.
    post edited by trs32505 - 2009/12/20 00:16:59

"Psst. Zip up. Your ignorance is showing." 
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"
    "Can an Atheist get insurance for acts of god?

zrockstar
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 00:19:52 (permalink)
    This is a great guide, exactly what I have been looking for. I just built my first gaming system, and wanted to ease into overclocking, and after reading the walk through I think it gave me a good enough starting point to actually dive in. I don't care about my system being the best of the best, nor do I care about pushing it to its max potential, but part of my goal of building my new system is to start to understand overclocking and taking little steps is the best way of learning something new. Will I outgrow this guide eventually? Maybe. But there is an equal chance that I will follow it, be impressed with the gains, realize that overclocking is not something that I want to make a hobby, and never decide to go any further. So for that purpose, I applaud you for your efforts, and thank you. If people wanna be boners about it, then obviously their skill level is well beyond this guide, and they forgot what it was like to be a noob and not know where to start. So F them. As soon as I get a day off I will try this and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

EVGA x58 LE, Intel i7 920 @ 3.3ghz, 6 gigs OCZ DDR3, OCZ modXstream 700w PSU, MSI TwinFrozr II GTX 465 oc'd, Corsair H50, Aero Cool Touch 2000 Fan Controller, Cooler Master Scout Storm Case, 2x WD Caviar Black 640gb for RAID 0, WD Cav. Blk. 500 for backup, Creative Fatal1ty Pro  
    zrockstar
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 01:23:35 (permalink)
    Well this IS a good solid community, it has helped me immensely. Since this is a guide for noobs, you should probably kindly and calmly make your exit from it, as this may be the first thread a newbie sees when browsing through the forums or a search engine, and I would hate to think that their first impression would be in any way shape or form developed from reading your flaming posts. You have almost 500 posts, you know this is a great community, and now, you realized you have made an ass hat out of yourself, and instead of respectfully backing out, you try to dig yourself out. Please keep your negative comments to yourself and respect the fact that the OP is simply trying to help people that are not as 31337 as you are.
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2009/12/20 02:29:31

EVGA x58 LE, Intel i7 920 @ 3.3ghz, 6 gigs OCZ DDR3, OCZ modXstream 700w PSU, MSI TwinFrozr II GTX 465 oc'd, Corsair H50, Aero Cool Touch 2000 Fan Controller, Cooler Master Scout Storm Case, 2x WD Caviar Black 640gb for RAID 0, WD Cav. Blk. 500 for backup, Creative Fatal1ty Pro  
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 02:00:58 (permalink)
    OK I will give everyone a warning in this thread. Flaming is in direct violation of our terms of service and is not tolerated. If anyone else believes they can come up with a better overclocking guide then make one up yourself and post it rather than argue about the original poster who is trying very hard to help their fellow forum members.

I believe the original post took a lot of hard work and effort so yes I will award a BR for it and as moderators we don't throw them (BRs) around otherwise you would seen untold numerous BRs everywhere.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3444
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 02:21:03 (permalink)
    A good guide, and a well deserved BR
    OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 02:36:45 (permalink)
    Thanks again rjohnson11

Now, anyone who is new to overclocking or just have issues with their current overclock, please feel free to post a question or problem. I wont be the only one answering them

Also any tips on editing or adding to my guide would be greatly appreciated.

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    eppopipe
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3294
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 03:11:07 (permalink)
    Well i got one simple question,
    Im not a noob anymore by any means, im actually pretty proud of what ive learned.
    However there are a couple things that stumped me while i was learning.
    such as QPI Freq. Selection - mine is set to 4.8gt/s

Now im still not quite 100% sure why i have it there.
    What would be the reason for it to be set there, and would i see any advantage from raising it up?

Another thing you might want to touch base on is PWM freq. - raising this will give cleaner power, but raise temps.
    oh one more, you should touch base on PCIE Freq and its relation to OC and its effects with Solid state.

hope i could help!

NexusPhase
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 03:17:42 (permalink)
    Nice work Chronic  

You need to cool yourself down sylon.. did the OP hurt you in some way?? everyone in this forum knows that a BR count only goes so far.. If I got a BR for everyone I helped I would have 30+.. 

strong work in this thread Rj..

"Want some rye? Course ya do! Here's to us! Who's like us? Damn few, and they're all dead!"

CPU: 5900x
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
    GPU: RTX 3080 FTW Ultra
    Mobo: Asus TUF gamming x570-Plus
    Mem: G-Skill 2x16gb c16 3600mhz
    Storage: 1tb 980 pro M.2, 1tb 970 pro M.2
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    Case: Danger Den Torture Rack

OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 03:30:42 (permalink)
    Thanks. Good questions. Ive added your PWM comment to my guide. I've also found a good read on your 4.8gt/s question. Looks like it automatically goes up as you raise bclck regardless to what its set to in bios.
    Here is a good read about it.
    http://forum-en.msi.com/i...topic=126604.msg955143

Here are some benchmarks on 4.8gt/s vs 6.4gt/s
    http://techgage.com/artic...performance_preview/12

Looks like 4.8gt/s is the way to go!

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    d.burnette
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5496
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 03:36:33 (permalink)
    A very nice guide and well deserved BR Chronic!
    I am not an overclocking noob, and found it helpful as well. Nice job!

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

eppopipe
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3294
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 03:42:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link :)
    Sounds like im where i should be, just didnt fully grasp why i was there , got it now!

Anyway, glad i could contribute 

firerx
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3099
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 05:09:11 (permalink)
    Very Nice Job Chronic, congrats!   RJ, you have the patience of a saint, LOL!

Asus Rampage VI Extreme  
    Intel Core i9 10900X 
    Corsair Platinums 3000mhz 32gb 
     RTX 3090 FE 
    TT 1200w PSU
    Samsung 950 Pro M2 SSD 1tb
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1tb
    Samsumg 840 Pro SSD, Seagate 1TB drive   
    LG 34" Curved Monitor 3440 X 1440       

Rona
    FTW Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 06:07:43 (permalink)
    It almost makes me wish I would have stayed away last night to see all the posts that got edited by RJ. Heck, every post past his original post in this thread (the sylon person or w/e) pretty much completely deleted. Heck, MY post was edited but I read it again and it's the same as it was when I posted it :P

Anyways, thanks RJ and thanks for contributing the community in a positive way Chronic~

whodaddy
    SSC Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 06:40:42 (permalink)
    Good job RJ, well deserved BR here. As for flaming.... just doesn't belong in a forum where people are looking for help. We all should be in here to help one another period.

EK FULL COVERAGE BLOCK

dcs182
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 06:40:45 (permalink)
    Sorry if I'm asking a question that has been answered already elsewhere in this topic, but I've been up all night working on this and could have missed something. I followed the steps in the guide, but I'm getting a crash that isn't listed, so I'm not sure how I should modify my settings to stop it.

I can boot in to Windows just fine, normal applications seem to run fine, but if I fire up Prime95 or LinX, my system just shuts down and reboots, no blue screen (I have Windows set to halt on BSODs, not reboot). The screen just immediately goes black after my CPU ramps up. Temps are all normal up to the crash point (60c).

My hardware/OS specs:
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    • Core i7 920, Revision: C0/C1, Stepping 4
    • eVGA x58 E758, BIOS SZ2Z
    • Corsair DDR3 TR3X6G1600C8D (3x2GB) in triple channel (8-8-8-24-74-1T @ 1.65v)
    QPI: 160
    DRAM Frequency: 638.4 MHz
    FSB:DRAM: 2:8

CPU VCORE: 1.32V (1 step under auto, crash happens a 2 steps under also)
    DRAM: 1.63V (1.65v in BIOS)
    CPU VTT: 1.30V (auto)

To recap, the overclock *seems* stable until you actually push it with Prime95 or LinX, then my computer just turns off with no BSOD. System event log doesn't recap the error, just notes that the system was shutdown improperly when it boots back up. I just wanted to post here before I started jacking around with voltages and having no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for the effort you put in to the guide thus far.
    post edited by dcs182 - 2009/12/20 06:53:58

Rona
    FTW Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 08:38:38 (permalink)
    Have you tried going a step or two above Auto VCORE?

You may be @ the point on your C0 chip that it's time to start upping vcore or VTT. Move one of them up, test. If the problem persists move it back down and move the other up, and test.

C0's have been discussed that they take more voltage to get where ya wanna go. Although, my D0 is a voltage hog also so again it comes back to the individual chip.

rebelranger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 09:20:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this! I just installed my replacement dominator RAM (CMG6GX3M3A2000C8) from Corsair and had to (for the most part) start my overclock from scratch. Using this guide I was able to tweak a few spots where I had trouble.

My only issue is (and I hope I'm not hijacking) that I'm stable in all tests but when I get my Flight Sim X going. I get a 0x00000101 Stop error at some point in my flights. Am I wrong in thinking that this is a Vcore related issue?

Current Vcore is at 1.375 and VTT is at +300 PLL VCORE is 1.845 and IOH PLL is 1.80 QPI PLL is 1.20 Dim is 1.6

post edited by bilsery - 2009/12/20 09:23:11

X58 E760, i7 920 DO, @4.8 Heatkiller 3.0 Bitspower Black Ice NB/Mosfet XSPC RX 480 Quad MCP655 EK-RES 250 KAZE MASTER, Xonar Essence STX,  Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 12 GB (3 x 4 GB)2000MHz, Intel x25M 160GB,  Kingston  128GB, 3x2TB WD, Pioneer & LG blu-ray Galaxy GTX 680 4GB SLI Win7 64bit Silverstone Strider 1500 - TJ07 

MoviesAboutGladiators
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 09:51:06 (permalink)
    +1 for OP

People who take their free time to help others should be rewarded and commended not flamed by preteen 4chan kids whose mommy and daddy pay alienware to OC their crap piles.

Chronic you rule for taking your time to do this, for new OC'ers this helped my buddy get his first 4.0 stable.

Cheers!
    whodaddy
    SSC Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 09:54:50 (permalink)
    If I am not mistaken 101-124 error are v core and vtt related also memory related is your ram rated 1.60v or 1.65v, flight sims are memory intensive, haven't played one in a long time.

EK FULL COVERAGE BLOCK

OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 10:46:06 (permalink)
    dcs182

Sorry if I'm asking a question that has been answered already elsewhere in this topic, but I've been up all night working on this and could have missed something. I followed the steps in the guide, but I'm getting a crash that isn't listed, so I'm not sure how I should modify my settings to stop it.

I can boot in to Windows just fine, normal applications seem to run fine, but if I fire up Prime95 or LinX, my system just shuts down and reboots, no blue screen (I have Windows set to halt on BSODs, not reboot). The screen just immediately goes black after my CPU ramps up. Temps are all normal up to the crash point (60c).

My hardware/OS specs:
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    • Core i7 920, Revision: C0/C1, Stepping 4
    • eVGA x58 E758, BIOS SZ2Z
    • Corsair DDR3 TR3X6G1600C8D (3x2GB) in triple channel (8-8-8-24-74-1T @ 1.65v)
    QPI: 160
    DRAM Frequency: 638.4 MHz
    FSB:DRAM: 2:8

CPU VCORE: 1.32V (1 step under auto, crash happens a 2 steps under also)
    DRAM: 1.63V (1.65v in BIOS)
    CPU VTT: 1.30V (auto)

To recap, the overclock *seems* stable until you actually push it with Prime95 or LinX, then my computer just turns off with no BSOD. System event log doesn't recap the error, just notes that the system was shutdown improperly when it boots back up. I just wanted to post here before I started jacking around with voltages and having no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for the effort you put in to the guide thus far.

Here is the addition to my guide, I edited it into it already.

System just restarts without any warnings  This is a sign that your settings are most likely way off. There is'nt one particular setting that causes this. It could be a number of things ie. vcore too low, VTT not in the sweet spot (not too high and not too low) memory speed/timings, uncore freq, etc.

If you cant seem to fix it, lower your overclock 100mhz, preferrably go back to where you were stable. If it means going back 200mhz then that's fine. This time do a smaller jump in mhz, +100mhz instead of +200mhz (ex. 3.8ghz to 3.9ghz instead of 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz). See how much vcore you need, you are still going higher than your last stable overclock. You might find that this time going from (example 3.8 to 3.9) requires the same bump in vcore as 3.6 to 3.8 did. This will help you have an idea on how much vcore to set for the next 100mhz (3.9 to 4ghz)

Your ram is set to 1.65 in bios but drops down to 1.63 in E-Leet? Is this true? It should be going up in E-Leet, not down. This could be a factor in your crashes.

Also I see you say 1.32 vcore is 1 step under auto? Auto should set your vcore to somewhere around 1.29. 1.32 seems a little high for a stock i7. Please post back as soon as you can.
    post edited by Chronic420 - 2009/12/20 12:08:56

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    happaflapp
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 654
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 11:05:38 (permalink)
    Yes Chronic, your thread is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  And, thank you very much for a couple of things.  Taking the time and the interest to post this thread.  Taking the time to look at my own n00bish thread about my failed OC attempts (without flaming I might add).  And most importantly, making it a heck of a lot easier on us just getting into the OC'ing world. 

Thanks again.

i7 920@ 3770 GHz w/HT & turbo*EVGA X58 X3 (E758-A1)*2x EVGA GTX 670 FTW *Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 18gb (7-7-7-20 @ 1380 MHz \ 2T)*Corsair H50*Corsair HX850W*Corsair Force Series 60Gb +OS drive+SATA II (SSD)* Corsair Neutron series 120Gb SATA III (SSD)*XF-i  Fatal1ty Pro Series*Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb & 500 Gb*Cooler Master Stacker 830se*Logitech G19 *Logitech G9x*fUnc Archetype1030MBA*Logitech X-540 5.1*Acer G245HQABD*Windows 10x64  

AMD Phenom II X4 BE 970@ 3500 MHz*Corsair H50*Asus M4N82 Deluxe*Corsair XMS2 800 8Gb DDR2(5-5-5-18 @ 800 MHz \1T)* 2x GTX470 Superclocked * XF-i Xtreme Music* Corsair Force Series 60 Gb +OS drive+ (SATA II)Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb & 500 Gb*Corsair 750TX*Cooler Master CM Storm*Logitech G15v2*Logitech G500*Logitech X-530 5.1*fUnc 1030 sUrface*Acer X233H bd*Windows 10x64 [/c
    OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Simple i7 Overclocking for Dummies :) 2009/12/20 12:02:46 (permalink)
    bilsery

Thanks for posting this! I just installed my replacement dominator RAM (CMG6GX3M3A2000C8) from Corsair and had to (for the most part) start my overclock from scratch. Using this guide I was able to tweak a few spots where I had trouble.

My only issue is (and I hope I'm not hijacking) that I'm stable in all tests but when I get my Flight Sim X going. I get a 0x00000101 Stop error at some point in my flights. Am I wrong in thinking that this is a Vcore related issue?

Current Vcore is at 1.375 and VTT is at +300 PLL VCORE is 1.845 and IOH PLL is 1.80 QPI PLL is 1.20 Dim is 1.6

You say you are stable in all tests? What tests are these? I you passed 40 tests of LinX and 11 hours of Prime95 Blend that stop error is a software/driver issue.
    The 0x00000101 stop error is just a crash of your game and not the whole system right?

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile