Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU

Author
wakka992
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/06/03 06:38:21 (permalink)
Dear EVGA Forum community,
I'm wakka992, it's my first time writing on the Forum, and I'm doing it for posting a problem I'm having with my computer powered by EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU.
A few moments ago I've e-mailed the same question to EVGA's customer service, but I'll also post it here in case someone had the same problem and have fixed it!

For reference, the other parts of the PC are:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k 
MOBO: MSI Z87 MPower Max
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
RAM: 16gb Patriot DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO
All the component and the OS where keeped updated.

The problem is that since yesterday the computer won't complete the booting sequences, shutting down after about half a second after pressing the power button (both the power button avayable on my PC: the one on the MOBO and the one on the case).
- Changing wall socket doesn't fix the problem; 
- changing PSU cable wall socket doesn't fix it either;
- powering on the PC result in shutdown in half a second, with just the led of the PC powering and the fan starting to spin. After the shutdown I have to unplug the PC from the wall for about a minute before trying to repete the operation, otherwise it won't show any "sign of life".
Strange is that when the problem occurred the first time, I just unplugged the PSU from the wall energy, retried later and it worked. Than the second time it occurred unplugging the PSU from the wall wasn't as effective, but changing the PSU from POWER to ECO mode through the selector on the front of the PSU did the trick againg and the PC booted correctly.
This morning instead, none of the listed "trick" mentioned is working for booting the PC.
I assume that the problem is the PSU and not the matherboard because the fist two times the problem occurred, I was able to "fix" it and the PC continued working without any problem as long as i used it.

I'm asking for your thoughts on the matters.
Thank you in advance guys!!

11 Replies Related Threads

bunkafas
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 04:21:21 (permalink)
    Buddy I literally had the same problem but with the 750W supernova Bronze .. I have sent it back to novatech who couldnt find a problem with it (?!) , I Used to be able to get it to boot by removing power cable, hold power button for 30 secs then re try but as of last week, nothing, dead.. Novatech.. no issues.. now being sent back to EVGA and I bloody hope they find something wrong with it... 70 quid from new , 5 months old, down the drain!!
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 04:43:16 (permalink)
    wakka992,
    Welcome to the Forum.

Are you using any type of UPS or Power Line Conditioner?
    Have you tested the Power Outlet is installed the correct way, that is the Polarity Correct?
    Have you had any lighting Storms in the last few weeks that may have hit your power lines that then would hit your computer?
    Have you reviewed your computer installation and check all the cables for any dust or other items that my be causing a short?
    Re-Seat all your Cables on the Motherboard Side and the Power Supply Side, you may have a Lose Connection.

@bunkafas Welcome to the Forum as well.
    Think Positive, Provide Positive Feed Back, and Do Not Dump Your Problems or Failures On Others.
    Negative Feed Back Only Provides Food For The Trolling Community.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/06/05 05:04:07

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

wakka992
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 04:56:19 (permalink)
    @
    no need to be harsh, I'm thinking positive, I'm providing Feed Back, and I'm not dumping problems on anyone.

FACT is my computer is dead, I managed to get a reply from EVGA customer service and we found that the PSU is a defective unit.

As they suggested, I did unplug all the cable from the power supply except for the 24pin motherboard cable and I attached to the other end of the cable the 24pin loop adaptor that I received with the PSU. After checking that the PSU was set on ECO mode OFF, I pressed the power button and it occurred the same problem: the fan began to spin and after 3 second it does totally stop. 
    Repeating the test a dozen of time doesn't change the results.

So, I'm not "dumping problems", I'm telling that my unit is at fault.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 04:59:05 (permalink)
    @ wakka992, your post is fine. Glad you have it worked out now.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/06/05 05:05:20

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102215
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 05:04:00 (permalink)
    I referred your post to EVGA so glad this worked out

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bunkafas
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 05:26:17 (permalink)
    Simply replying to a chap who had the same problem as me as I am going through a similar experience and do not know what is going on, no negativity only on my optimism of a refund.
    Novatech saying 'the unit seems to be completely fine' does not install the greatest of hopes in me. Not said a bad word to or about EVGA, the fact I purchased a second PSU of same brand even though my 'almost' brand new current one died on me says what I do think about EVGA, no ?

Currently awaiting an RMA or email response from EVGA.. I do know the PSU is defective, was mainly curious as to what are the likelihood of a refund from them if they find it defective ?

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 09:32:54 (permalink)
    Hi wakka992,

Welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear of the issue and it does sound as though the power supply is sensing a power issue and it is tripping the protection on the unit. When this happens you need to kill the power to the unit to reset it. 

I recommend unplugging any unnecessary fans, unused PSU cables, lights, or drives to see if this helps. If the problems continue then I recommend only plugging in the motherboard 24 - Pin and the motherboard 8 - Pin cables to see if it continues.  If the problem goes away I would then shut it off and try plugging in one device at a time to see what triggers it. 

Please understand that if the problem continues we can assist with warranty on the unit, but I do recommend trying to exchange it locally if that is an option for you.

EU Support Contact information:

wakka992
    Dear EVGA Forum community,
    I'm wakka992, it's my first time writing on the Forum, and I'm doing it for posting a problem I'm having with my computer powered by EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU.
    A few moments ago I've e-mailed the same question to EVGA's customer service, but I'll also post it here in case someone had the same problem and have fixed it!

For reference, the other parts of the PC are:
    CPU: Intel i7 4790k 
    MOBO: MSI Z87 MPower Max
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
    RAM: 16gb Patriot DDR3
    GPU: GTX 970
    SSD: Samsung 850 PRO
    All the component and the OS where keeped updated. The problem is that since yesterday the computer won't complete the booting sequences, shutting down after about half a second after pressing the power button (both the power button avayable on my PC: the one on the MOBO and the one on the case).
    - Changing wall socket doesn't fix the problem; 
    - changing PSU cable wall socket doesn't fix it either;
    - powering on the PC result in shutdown in half a second, with just the led of the PC powering and the fan starting to spin. After the shutdown I have to unplug the PC from the wall for about a minute before trying to repete the operation, otherwise it won't show any "sign of life".Strange is that when the problem occurred the first time, I just unplugged the PSU from the wall energy, retried later and it worked. Than the second time it occurred unplugging the PSU from the wall wasn't as effective, but changing the PSU from POWER to ECO mode through the selector on the front of the PSU did the trick againg and the PC booted correctly.This morning instead, none of the listed "trick" mentioned is working for booting the PC.
    I assume that the problem is the PSU and not the matherboard because the fist two times the problem occurred, I was able to "fix" it and the PC continued working without any problem as long as i used it. I'm asking for your thoughts on the matters.Thank you in advance guys!!

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2015/06/05 10:30:52 (permalink)
    bunkafas
    Currently awaiting an RMA or email response from EVGA.. I do know the PSU is defective, was mainly curious as to what are the likelihood of a refund from them if they find it defective ?

They will send you working PSU, no problems.
    You have 750 B1 or 750 B2... EVGA 750 B2 is good PSU for Bronze standard.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Geoff1968
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2016/01/03 03:48:07 (permalink)
    Hi m8, how did you go? i got a g2 550w unit and this was going in a new build , but decided to use the testtool provied and the fan does not spin with eco off, did your supplier or EVGA conclude the PSU was faulty, am waiting a reply from CS as in my case DOA. 
    jon130
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2017/11/27 14:21:18 (permalink)
    wakka992
    @
    no need to be harsh, I'm thinking positive, I'm providing Feed Back, and I'm not dumping problems on anyone.
     FACT is my computer is dead, I managed to get a reply from EVGA customer service and we found that the PSU is a defective unit.

So, I'm not "dumping problems", I'm telling that my unit is at fault.

Same issue here with the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 80+ BRONZE. I actually received 2 defective units from Amazon. The first one powered up fine, but after 15 minutes of running Microsoft Flight Simulator X, it shut down. My GTX 280 graphics card never worked after that. The second unit Amazon sent me "works", but only until the system tries to draw enough power to play a game. The Antec 500W power supply I was using and have gone back to never had an issue. I had just wanted to upgrade because I figured I was pushing the limit of that PSU with the GTX 280. I guess that problem is solved because now I'm stuck with integrated graphics! Amazon told me to bug off and EVGA never responded. Thanks EVGA and Amazon. You sure know how to treat your customers.
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/11/27 14:40:52
    nightshayde
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Serious Problem with EVGA Supernova G2 PSU 2019/03/12 09:08:08 (permalink)
    I don't want to necro an old thread but I have 2 EVGA PSUs that are suffering this exact issue. Some days it won't post seemingly randomly. Unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds and hold the power button and it will post perfectly. It was causing symptoms such as a slightly blurry image on my monitor, input lag, erratic behaviour such as stuttering. Thankfully I saw this thread otherwise I might not have realized it. I had these issues for 3-4 years of owning these PSUs and had no idea why my games looked and felt awful to play.

I was wondering why when I unplugged and moved my PC why it would feel perfect and post fine the first time, and have issues after that. I'll be purchasing a Corsair PSU as I've had two separate PCs with EVGA PSUs that have these exact symptoms. Never would've guessed that was the issue with both of my PCs.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile