EVGA

Screen Freez

Author
theunknownms
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/03/09 20:03:27 (permalink)
Hey i need some help,1 week ago i bought a new EVGA GTX 980 Hybrid 04G-P4-1989-KR, then i started my game,played like 30min and then my sceen froze. I cant close the game i cant open task manager but the sound of the game is still there and i can speak with my friends on skype or teamspeak.
I did reinstal drivers and the game and that didnt help, nothing helped that i tryd.
So that's my problem i hope someone can help me ^^

i7-6700k
Asus Pro Gaming z170
16gb Ram
Win 10 64bit

28 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 20:24:56 (permalink)
    Is your motherboard bios current? What psu are you using and how old is it? What video card were you running before you bought the 980 hybrid? Any overclocks on cpu? Please try everything listed in this thread to see if it helps fix your problem.
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 20:54:44 (permalink)
    latest BIOS
    everything on the PC is 1-4 weeks old PCU Seasonic S12II-620Bronze 620W
    last card that i used was R9 270
    the cpu isnt overclocked
    i used DDU to clean the old drivers from AMD and today the NVIDIA drivers to reinstall
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:00:24 (permalink)
    Does running the gpu fan at max speed prevent the screen freeze while playing? Does adjusting the gpu voltage to max prevent the screen freeze while playing?
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:19:50 (permalink)
    normal temperature of my gpu is 30-35°c and while playing game is max 40-45°c ,never above that
    where and how can i change gpu voltage ?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:28:18 (permalink)
    You can use msi afterburner to change the voltage of your gpu. You must enter the settings menu inside msi afterburner and check mark "unlock voltage control" to be able to adjust the core voltage slider within afterburner.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:31:36 (permalink)
    Voltage adjustments made within afterburner are 100% safe so go ahead and stick it to max and retest.
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:44:16 (permalink)
    so what do i do now :D

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:51:47 (permalink)

Select red, check mark green, restart afterburner. Now adjust orange all the way to the right, then click blue to apply the settings. Leave afterburner running in the background while retesting your game. 
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:55:07 (permalink)
    thx i will try it now:D
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/09 21:55:54 (permalink)
    No problem. Let me know how it goes. 
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/10 10:13:09 (permalink)
    still the same problem...
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/10 10:58:30 (permalink)
    theunknownms
    still the same problem...

Have you ran your windows in clean boot config & performed a clean install of the latest drivers with ddu? Have you tried running the card in debug mode?
    theunknownms
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/10 11:57:57 (permalink)
    yea i clean the old driver with ddu, i will try the debug mode now
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 13:23:55 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You can use to change the voltage of your gpu. You must enter the settings menu inside msi afterburner and check mark "unlock voltage control" to be able to adjust the core voltage slider within afterburner.

Just curious.  Why do you recommend MSi afterburner over EVGA PrecisionX?

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0.  Everything has been great until today when I was watching Netflix of all things and the screen suddenly turned solid pinkish with sound for a few seconds, then no sound.  Had to do hard reset.  Hour later, gray screen and freeze.  Had to do hard reset.  Pulled up PrecisionX to check out temps.  Running at about 28 degrees.  Let run a little bit and opened case.  Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra.  All fans working fine.  Actually chilly compared to room temp inside the case.  Even touched card in places looking for hot spots.  Nothing.  Going to try  DDU and reinstall drivers because I believe it was last night nVIDIA put out lastest driver update and now it's doing it?  Before that, no problems at all running anything such as The Division on highest settings, HITMAN on highest settings, for example.  Latest BIOS and other drivers.  Recently clean install of Windows 10 PRO about 3 days before card arrived because also got new 1TB SSD.  Other than that I will try running it with the fan speeds set higher just in case there is some unforeseen heat issue.

HOWEVER

It would seem to me, that when you buy a SuperClocked card, you're buying it with the manufacturer's settings that are supposed to work and be stable and also guaranteeing an overclock under warranty.  That is the point of purchasing a SuperClocked card.  And as soon as you mess with clock speeds and voltages you void warranty and furthermore, having to turn down clock speeds to make stable what should already be working stable from manufacturer, negates the purposes of buying a SuperClocked card to begin with.
    post edited by strigoi357 - 2016/03/14 13:43:18

Windows 10 Pro
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3-2666
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB SuperClocked
    Asus Xonar DX
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 14:20:57 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    You can use to change the voltage of your gpu. You must enter the settings menu inside msi afterburner and check mark "unlock voltage control" to be able to adjust the core voltage slider within afterburner.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0.  Everything has been great until today when I was watching Netflix of all things and the screen suddenly turned solid pinkish with sound for a few seconds, then no sound.  Had to do hard reset.  Hour later, gray screen and freeze.  Had to do hard reset.  Pulled up PrecisionX to check out temps.  Running at about 28 degrees.  Let run a little bit and opened case.  Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra.  All fans working fine.  Actually chilly compared to room temp inside the case.  Even touched card in places looking for hot spots.  Nothing.  Going to try  DDU and reinstall drivers because I believe it was last night nVIDIA put out lastest driver update and now it's doing it?  Before that, no problems at all running anything such as The Division on highest settings, HITMAN on highest settings, for example.  Latest BIOS and other drivers.  Recently clean install of Windows 10 PRO about 3 days before card arrived because also got new 1TB SSD.  Other than that I will try running it with the fan speeds set higher just in case there is some unforeseen heat issue.

HOWEVER

It would seem to me, that when you buy a SuperClocked card, you're buying it with the manufacturer's settings that are supposed to work and be stable and also guaranteeing an overclock under warranty.  That is the point of purchasing a SuperClocked card.  And as soon as you mess with clock speeds and voltages you void warranty and furthermore, having to turn down clock speeds to make stable what should already be working stable from manufacturer, negates the purposes of buying a SuperClocked card to begin with.

Afterburner has less bugs than precision x. Overclocking/overvolting your card via afterburner/precision x doesn't void your warranty, adjustments via afterburner/precision x are 100% safe.
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 14:35:33 (permalink)
    Sajin

Afterburner has less bugs than precision x. Overclocking/overvolting your card via afterburner/precision x doesn't void your warranty, adjustments via afterburner/precision x are 100% safe.

Thanks for that info.  Do you know if either software needs to be running for those settings to be in effect or is it a set and forget.  So for instance can I start up PrecisionX, make the changes, close PrecisionX, and have the changes still be in effect?  And does the program need to start up and run every time the computer starts to make the changes to the card or is it once you make the change, the change stays in effect until another change is made?

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 14:37:04 (permalink)
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

HOWEVER

+1

Buying a factory OC GPU, just guarantees the factory numbers. 

You can always try to improve your GPU settings if you like that sort of thing, but no GPU is guaranteed to OC any better than the factory spec.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 14:55:00 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin

Thanks for that info.  Do you know if either software needs to be running for those settings to be in effect or is it a set and forget.  So for instance can I start up PrecisionX, make the changes, close PrecisionX, and have the changes still be in effect?  And does the program need to start up and run every time the computer starts to make the changes to the card or is it once you make the change, the change stays in effect until another change is made?

Must be running and started up at windows login. The software needs to remain open to keep the changes applied.
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:06:30 (permalink)
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

Must be running and started up at windows login. The software needs to remain open to keep the changes applied.

Thanks.  Based on the info that I gave.  Could it be an actual card issue that took a couple weeks to show itself?  I ask to see if you think a RMA would be a viable solution if issue persists?

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:15:08 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

Thanks.  Based on the info that I gave.  Could it be an actual card issue that took a couple weeks to show itself?  I ask to see if you think a RMA would be a viable solution if issue persists?

No problem. Based on the info you gave it does sound like a card/driver issue. What make/model psu are you running and how old is it?
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:19:52 (permalink)
    Sajin

No problem. Based on the info you gave it does sound like a card/driver issue. What make/model psu are you running and how old is it?

Well as I said, I did just update drivers yesterday through GeForce Experience.  There was a GameReady driver update.  And now it has done it.  So I don't know if maybe that's a coincidence in timing or if that's the issue.  But I'm at work so I won't get to DDU until late tonight.  My PSU is a Corsair CX500M 500W ATX12V 80+ Bronze Cert

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:22:40 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin

Well as I said, I did just update drivers yesterday through GeForce Experience.  There was a GameReady driver update.  And now it has done it.  So I don't know if maybe that's a coincidence in timing or if that's the issue.  But I'm at work so I won't get to DDU until late tonight.  My PSU is a Corsair CX500M 500W ATX12V 80+ Bronze Cert

And how old is it?
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:28:51 (permalink)
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

And how old is it?

Year and a half at the most maybe.

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:30:48 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

And how old is it?

Ok, yeah, that is fine then.
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:36:50 (permalink)
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

And how old is it?

And probably the maximum draw of everything in my system is about 385W.

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 15:56:00 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin
    strigoi357
    Sajin

And how old is it?

And probably the maximum draw of everything in my system is about 385W.

What does underclocking the card cause? Have you done any tests by underclocking the card?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    strigoi357
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 16:45:55 (permalink)
    stalinx20

What does underclocking the card cause? Have you done any tests by underclocking the card?

I have not had a chance to test anything more than checking temps, fans, etc. as it just started and happened only a couple times today just shortly before I had to leave for work.  But as said, it's been running fine for a couple weeks and I have not changed any clock settings.  If it were the clock speeds then it should have started happening since day 1.

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Asus Xonar DX
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Screen Freez 2016/03/14 17:27:27 (permalink)
    strigoi357
    stalinx20

I have not had a chance to test anything more than checking temps, fans, etc. as it just started and happened only a couple times today just shortly before I had to leave for work.  But as said, it's been running fine for a couple weeks and I have not changed any clock settings.  If it were the clock speeds then it should have started happening since day 1.

not necessarily. With electronics, anything can happen from the moment you turn your PC on, to you turning your PC off. That is including your PSU. I'm just saying that you need to eliminate all possible angles - process of elimination.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile