EVGA

Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ?

Author
Stumpfl111
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/02 22:18:10 (permalink)
Hey Guys,

I have 2 x 980 Classified in an SLI configuration an want to get the most out of the Cards till the 980 KPE is available and Ready for me to Upgrade.
I set an pretty agressive Fan Curve on the Classy and they're about 75-78 degrees under very heavy load even after a few hours of gaming. Of Corse i want to get the most out of them an just want to know if they can take 1.3V without beeing worried. I would configure the fan so that the card would stay below 80c. at the moment i have set the Voltage to 1.25V.

Do you guys think i would fry the card ? Kepp in mind that i still have the Stock cooler on it......I only replaced the thermal compund with an liquid metal pad (witch is awesome btw).
So....long story short ---> is 1.3V safe for 2 Classy GPU's when they stay below 80c. Just let me hear what you think about that....

Thank you very much!

9 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 03:24:24 (permalink)
    You could do 1.3, but I wouldn't do it for more than 1 or 2 benchmark sessions back to back, then give it time to rest. At 1.3, you could start to see degradation quicker than normal, even if it is seemingly staying cool.

It is a risk you will have to experiment with honestly. Just don't damage the PCB or break anything on the actual gpu and everything will be fine for a RMA if you need to send it back.

Why would you upgrade (substantial cost difference) to the K|ngp|n when it only offers the Leds and a few more mhz? If you are on air, you are still going to be limited by the air cooler. No point in spending the extra $100 per card, plus the loss of selling your current cards. I am not saying that you shouldnt, but you will probably spend an extra $300 - $400 just to get the leds of the K|ngp|n.
    Stumpfl111
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 04:44:25 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    You could do 1.3, but I wouldn't do it for more than 1 or 2 benchmark sessions back to back, then give it time to rest. At 1.3, you could start to see degradation quicker than normal, even if it is seemingly staying cool.

It is a risk you will have to experiment with honestly. Just don't damage the PCB or break anything on the actual gpu and everything will be fine for a RMA if you need to send it back.

Why would you upgrade (substantial cost difference) to the K|ngp|n when it only offers the Leds and a few more mhz? If you are on air, you are still going to be limited by the air cooler. No point in spending the extra $100 per card, plus the loss of selling your current cards. I am not saying that you shouldnt, but you will probably spend an extra $300 - $400 just to get the leds of the K|ngp|n.

I want to do the EVGA Step-Up Programm.
    Because of that it is ''Only'' 100€ more. im not loosing anything from the price i bougt the Classified card. i think the KPE extras over the Clasyy are worth the money.

What is the highest voltage you would go with 2 Classified when staying under 80c ?
    I'm  thinking of 1.28v.

Thanks for your answer ;)
    rh0ne
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 05:33:39 (permalink)
    Wait - did I miss something? I didn't think you could step up to a KPE, even from a 980 classy. Am I wrong?

(I just checked My Product's page, and my classy's do not give me a KPE option in step-up drop down list.)

-rh0ne

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 06:00:30 (permalink)
    You can ONLY step up to the 980 sc acx reference cArd. There is no step up to the FTW/Classified/K|ngp|n card. I thought the same as you when I purchased my first Classified.

Just keep your classIt's or send them to me. They are great cards.
    Stumpfl111
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 07:51:46 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    You can ONLY step up to the 980 sc acx reference cArd. There is no step up to the FTW/Classified/K|ngp|n card. I thought the same as you when I purchased my first Classified.

Just keep your classIt's or send them to me. They are great cards.

No that is not true.......
    I talked to the EVGA support a few days ago an they said ''Of Course''! (I Can show you the mail if you dont believe me )
    Within 90 Days this will be possible....... i know that for now there are only the other cards listed. But i think this will change when the KPE980 is Plenty available.
    So Classified owners can Upgrade to KPE !!!
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 09:26:34 (permalink)
    I apologize if another tech gave you information saying otherwise, but I can confirm that due to limited availability the Classified and Kingpin cards are not available on the step up list. Currently the only model of 980 available for step up to is 04G-P4-2981-KR. I'm sorry for the confusion.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Stumpfl111
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 09:32:22 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    I apologize if another tech gave you information saying otherwise, but I can confirm that due to limited availability the Classified and Kingpin cards are not available on the step up list. Currently the only model of 980 available for step up to is 04G-P4-2981-KR. I'm sorry for the confusion.

post edited by Stumpfl111 - 2015/03/03 10:14:28
    Stumpfl111
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 10:24:53 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW

Ok, Sorry for that Post above this one.......im kind of a forum-NOOB.

Let me now explain my situation......
    I bought my 2 x 980 Classified only a few days before the Kingpin was available for preorder. When i heard that the Kingpin is coming i asked the EVGA support if an upgrade is possible........
    They told me very clearly a ''Yes'' so i decided to keep my Classified and do an upgrade later.

Would they have told me that an upgrade is not possible i would have sent my cards back (14 DAY MONEY BACK Warranty) and ordered 2 Kingpin instead.

Now you are telling me that an Upgrade is NOT possible ! but the 14 days for sending my Classified back are Over !
    So in my opinion due to the wrong statement of the support i cant get the Kingpin.

so i ask you....could you please talk to somebody an make an upgrade possible ?
    EVGA is well known for the best support and i didn't make anything wrong in my opinion.

Thank you very much!
    Hillguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1320
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Safe Voltage for GTX 980 Classified ? How much can it take ? 2015/03/03 11:47:04 (permalink)
    Step Up Program
    http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Step-Up Inventory - What can I Step-Up to?
    EVGA maintains a list of current graphics cards as well as motherboards available to Step-Up to. Products listed are mostly stock (not factory overclocked, or water cooled) due to stock limitations.

I would recommend you call support and discuss your situation  http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile