SR-2 More Power To USB

Author
vrlooking
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/03 20:07:54 (permalink)

Hi,
I'm running into a big problem with a PCIe USB 3 card. I'm currently running the following:

SR-2 w/2 Xeon x5650 OC to 3.33 GHz
48GB Ram
3 GTX 970 in 3-Way SLI
1500W Classified PSU

System had been running fine all these years, but due to the lack of USB 3 ports I added a USB 3 PCIe 4-port card (PEXUSB3S44V) in slot 1 (I have a firewire card in slot 2 and the rest are taken up by video cards). Now Windows will no longer boot. I get as far as circling dots in Windows 10 x64 and then I get BSOD "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR". I tried Windows 7 x64 same issue. 

I've tried the following:
1.) I figured maybe I have too many USB devices/hubs so the ports are not getting enough power, so I connected the extra floppy disk power connector to the USB ports, but still same problem.

2.) I updated the firmware for PEXUSB3S44V as per tech support at StarTech, it fixed the problem temporarily, but upon reinstall of Windows, I am facing the same problem again.

3.) I've tried plugging the PCIe card in other slots in different combinations, but I have the same problem.

4.) I've tried resetting the BIOS and running it stock - same problem.

5.) I've tried unplugging the USB devices - same problem.

6.) I've even upped the voltages for the following:
IOH -> 1.4V
IOH PLL -> 1.8V
nF200 -> 1.25V
ICH I/O -> 1.6V
ICH -> 1.3V
...still no luck - same problem.

Can anyone please suggest anything else to try and resolve this issue? At this stage I'm not sure what is causing this bizarre issue. Maybe someone else has tried this USB 3 card and they somehow got it to work? Do I need to adjust anymore voltage values?

Please help!

4 Replies Related Threads

Jet91
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: SR-2 More Power To USB 2016/02/04 09:18:15 (permalink)
    Hey vrlooking,

it seems to me an issue that can be due to the windows kernel initialization, but not by an hardware incompatibility. I can suggest two additional tests you can pursue:
    1. try booting using a linux live cd and check if this other OS architecture gets mad as well.
    2. try removing the additional controller from the list of devices available for booting.
    Moreover I have to point out that most of the times this error is de to a lack of the card driver inside the windows installation.
    You could try to install the USB3 card driver in windows trying to boot in safety mode OR by adding this to the windows installation USB/CD in order to install windows with the driver that causes the error if missing.
    Let me know

gg
    vrlooking
    Re: SR-2 More Power To USB 2016/02/04 21:24:43 (permalink)

Hey Jet91, thanks for responding. Here are the results.

1.) Tried installing openSUSE. It seems to work fine. I can even boot into Linux just fine...maybe because Linux doesn't recognize the PCIe USB card and doesn't try to install them.

2a.) I had thought as much about the drivers for the USB card. So what I had done previously was disable the PCIe slot where the USB card is plugged in (slot 1), with the jumper and boot into Windows. I then installed the drivers for the PCIe card and enabled the PCIe slot. I tried booting into Windows and I had the same BSOD.

b.) At one point I saw that Windows 10 installed generic Microsfot eXtensible host controller drivers for the PCIe USB card. I figured that was the issue. I thought booting into safe mode and uninstalling and removing the generic USB 3 drivers would help, but EVEN when booting into safe mode I got BSOD. I eventually somehow managed to get into safe mode and uninstalled and removed the generic drivers and installed the manufacturer supplied drives and I had the same BSOD when booting into Windows.

c.) I just did a clean install of Windows 10 x64. With everything default, no additional drivers installed, I am sometimes able to boot into Windows and log-in, but as soon as I do something or if the system sits idle for 3 minutes, I get a BSOD, "Machine_Check_Error".

The USB 3 driver for the PCIe card are bundled in a .exe file which I am not able to extract, so I'm not able to slip them into the Windows install image. I think when I install the USB 3 drivers, it dumps the .inf files in the C:\Program Files directory. I'll try grabbing those and adding them to the install image.

I also want to try removing the PCIe USB3 controller from the list of devices available for booting, as you suggested. How do I go about doing that? Is this done through BIOS? The card doesn't actually show up in BIOS, so it's not really something I can boot from. I did try disabling the USB 3 controller on the motherboard, but no luck.

Thanks.

Jet91
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: SR-2 More Power To USB 2016/02/05 00:45:02 (permalink)
    Hey there,

That sounds weird to me.
    Have you already tried to remove the other PCI-e devices?
    Try to boot with only one GPU if you have more than one and unplug any additional monitor (if you have more than one as well :) ).
    Reading on the internet it might be related to a memory issue, but one can't understand if the affected memory is the system one, or, maybe, the USB controller buffer or the GPU one. you can exclude the system memory by running a memcheck.

Your plan to dump the .exe to a folder is exactly the next step I'd like to suggest you to follow. Then provide the drivers directly to the win installation procedure. But are you sure you can't find non-exe drivers on the producer homepage?

Actually (even if I would like to and I'm actually trying to find it) I have no SR2: I think that under boot options or boot devices priority or something sounding like that you should see some generic point such as "external PCIe controller". Try disabling it, or, just to be sure, remove all the boot options but the OS hard disk.

By disabling the mobo USB3 controller you just lose the integrated USB3 ports, but not the additional one.

Let us know!

gg
    vrlooking
    Re: SR-2 More Power To USB 2016/02/05 22:08:15 (permalink)
    Hey, so this now SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!!

I had done extensive tests on memory, CPUs and PSU so I knew there was nothing wrong with those components. My motherboard has been working fine w/OC for many years, so no issue there.

I solved this by tweaking the BIOS settings. It turns out that the USB or any other components didn't need more power. It's the Option ROM that was the issue. There were too many things loading in/at BIOS (Marvel Controller, JMicron Controller, BIOS AHCI etc) so I had to disable one thing at a time till I found something that worked.

I found turning BIOS AHCI off worked for me. This had no negative effect on my usage. All drives and components are working fine and the computer also seems to boot faster. 

I did a clean install of Windows without adding the PCIe USB drivers to the Windows image and the install went smooth. Windows booted just fine with the generic Microsoft drivers. I later installed the manufacturer supplied drivers and that also went well. No issues so far!!!

I will do some more test and report back if I run into any problems.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile