Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround

Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2016/07/23 17:27:17 (permalink)
So I finally got around and hooked up my premium Senneheiser PC 363D's to my X99 Classified's Creative Core3D onboard sound as opposed to the headset's own onboard USB soundcard (3D G4ME 1) that replicates 7.1 surround.  I was looking to keep the surround and get more power.  I felt like I did get more juice out of Core3D than the headset's own USB device but couldn't switch it to surround.  I was really disappointed unless I was doing something wrong.  

Anyone know if I can get surround sound on my headset from the Core3D on the EVGA X99 Classified?

Also, any audiophiles that would know if I were to get a 3rd party sound card, say a Asus Essence STX I or II or a Creative Sound Blaster Z or ZxR, would that improve the quality of sound to the PC 363D headset?  I don't want to blow these very expensives headsets but was wondering if there was a way to maximize the most out of them and to get a little bit more loudness from them compared to their own USB soundcard which seems a bit weak. 

Thanks
post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2016/07/23 17:30:08

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

6 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/23 18:57:27 (permalink)
    Searched for the Senneheiser PC 363D - it's a software based solution, so you need to use the USB plug in that came with it AND the software/driver for it to get the software based 7.1 surround sound to function.

I'm not quite an audiophile, but I tried using my Audio-Technica ATH-M50S' with the X99 Classified's on-board audio. It SUCKS REALLY, REALLY BAD. Like, 20% the audio output level that my ancient Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Pro USB has. I had to turn the volume all the way to 100% with the Classified's on-board sound to hear music decently. I can't turn up my Creative's sound much past 40% unless I want to go deaf. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469326112&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+usb+5.1 

When I want 7.1 sound I use Razer's 7.1 virtual surround software that I picked up a couple of years ago for 20 bucks. Most of the time I keep it off for music and movies.

You can try the free version! The pro version is still only 20 bucks. http://www.razerzone.com/surround 
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/07/23 19:08:46
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/23 20:18:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response.  

Yeah I figured it was software based to emulate the fake "7.1" but wasn't able to do the same with X99's on board audio and software.  Atm, it comes out as Stereo and the only way I can get surround sound is having a full speaker + sub.  I'm just looking if there was a way to do so with the headset and I think you might have answered that question for me.  

I use Sennheiser's drivers to get 7.1 with the USB amp device that it comes with it as it has a switch to turn 7.1 or Stereo.  I think if I were to connect back to the MB and use a 3rd party software it should work but how are you sure for compatibility?  Are there other household "topnotch" names out there other than Razor?

I haven't ventured off into the audio aspects of the PC until as of late since grabbing a premium headset but would love to get more performance from them.  Is it worth spending $100+ on a sound card just for more sound or will I not get that much more from it?  I've heard great things on some sound cards but I don't know if I'm able to take the PC 363Ds and plug them in without damaging them possibly?  I've read somewhere where you need to be within spec of the headset or you can damage them.  This is all new territory and have been searching around for a while sometime but not many searches came up about these headsets.

I should note,  you could either use the 2 3.5mm connectors on the headset or use the mini amp USB that comes with it.
    post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2016/07/23 20:20:39

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/23 20:28:23 (permalink)
    The on-board sound with your stereo headphones can be used with any 7.1 software that supports it - I've only ever used Razers because it works well and I have a razer deathadder mouse. Just plug in the 3.5mm connections and try it with the free version that Razer offers to see if you like it. That's how I used it before, the analog 3.5mm connector into the motherboard and I used the Razer software to set up 7.1 surround.

I can't see a good sound card, such as a Creative, causing damage to your headphones. Your headset is 50 Ohms, mine is 38 Ohms - so you do need more power to drive your headset - which a discrete card will do. You should definitely NOT get a cheap, no-name sound card because it very well could damage your expensive headphones.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/07/23 20:31:46
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/23 21:05:17 (permalink)
    Oh ok.  So I'll have a look at that software and $20 isn't that bad of a price if I were to go down that road.

As for premium 3rd party sound cards, I was really looking at the Asus Essence STX 1st or 2nd gen.  Maybe go with SB Z or ZxR if they come at a bargain price.

IIRC, my headphones are a revision from the original ones released.  From my understanding, they lowered the Ohms on this headset so the original ones were more powerful.  I still don't know why.

Here's the specs of the current PC 363D.

My confusion is, these high end sound cards are 600 ohms capable.  Won't that destroy a 32 ohm headset?

I know I'm asking audio noob questions as I haven't ventured into this area in a very long time so bare with me. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/23 21:11:06 (permalink)
    Nope, it won't destroy your headphones. It just means that the sound card can support up to 600 Ohm headphones. The sound card impedance matches, so your headphones won't be blowing up !

Can you imagine if they did? Folks would be suing those manufacturers left and right!

Now, if you get a REAL (and old, without a low/high impedance switch) amplifier and hook up a pair of low impedance headphones in, you probably will blow them up.

Edit - low vs high impedance headphones explained: http://www.cnet.com/news/headphone-buyers-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/ 
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/07/23 21:21:14
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Regarding Creative Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor Headset Surround 2016/07/24 11:49:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info.  Looks like I'm going to be looking for a premium sound card than.  I might even look for a used one but not sure if I'm going to head that route.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile