EVGA

Helpful ReplyRMA Replacement fan making clicking noise?

Author
mattgaitan
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/22 20:22:47 (permalink)
Hi, I've had a really great experience with my first EVGA RMA so far. I got my new card back today (I shipped it out Monday evening) so the turn around was really fast. But the new card is making a faint ticking sound with the fan spinning. The ticking sound comes and goes while using my pc and sometimes it's louder than it is at other times. Is this normal, or will it eventually get worse? Other than that the card is working great.

Thank you for your time.

SpenserA
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: RMA Replacement fan making clicking noise? 2014/08/22 20:52:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mattgaitan 2014/08/22 21:21:26
While this is not normal, it is not necessarily cause for concern yet. I would inspect the cooler closely if you can, and check to make sure there are no wires or anything that could be making contact with the fan. A couple things to try to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from, is adjust the fan speed manually with a monitoring program until you hear the ticking, and then gently press on the shroud, to see if the noise stops. Next gently press on the middle of one of the fans until it stops spinning, and then release, and repeat with the other if you have a dual fan card.

Also if it is only happening at certain RPMs, you can set a custom fan curve to have it go above or below those levels.
mattgaitan
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RMA Replacement fan making clicking noise? 2014/08/22 21:22:24 (permalink)
That's what I was hoping. I didn't want to have to send it back so quickly! I can't see anything that's making contact with the fan blades. After turning the fan speed up, then setting it to auto again the noise went away. Upon restarting the noise came back, so I really have no idea what it may be. As long as it's not a cause for concern I can feel somewhat safer about it. Thank you :)
SpenserA
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: RMA Replacement fan making clicking noise? 2014/08/22 21:59:50 (permalink)
If anything it is likely going to be the fan itself, possibly the bearing or just the fan being slightly off balance at certain RPMs, which is why I wanted to see about pinpointing the source. Like I said if you can determine what levels the fans are running at when the noise happens, you can set a custom fan curve to avoid them. If it gets worse or changes, feel free to give tech support a call at 1-888-881-3842 and we can offer further assistance.
post edited by EVGAtech_SpenserA - 2014/08/22 22:21:07
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile