Quick Question about the 980

Author
FluffyZack
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/22 17:39:51 (permalink)
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I should just get the normal superclocked version of the 980 instead of waiting for the ACX Version. I heard that there are issues and such with the ACX cooler and if I would be able to overclock on my own but get low temperatures with the non-ACX version. I wanna try to get 1280 MHz or higher if the card is capable of that.

Also another question is if the GTX 980 Ti comes out before my 90 days are over will I be able to use the Step-Up program on it? Will the step up program work if I buy my card from NewEgg or Amazon? Or does it have to be directly from EVGA? Sorry if my questions are stupid. I know a good bit about computers but I can't know everything :)

8 Replies Related Threads

gizmo88
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 20:49:18 (permalink)

FluffyZack
    Hello everyone. I was wondering if I should just get the normal superclocked version of the 980 instead of waiting for the ACX Version. I heard that there are issues and such with the ACX cooler and if I would be able to overclock on my own but get low temperatures with the non-ACX version. I wanna try to get 1280 MHz or higher if the card is capable of that.

Also another question is if the GTX 980 Ti comes out before my 90 days are over will I be able to use the Step-Up program on it? Will the step up program work if I buy my card from NewEgg or Amazon? Or does it have to be directly from EVGA? Sorry if my questions are stupid. I know a good bit about computers but I can't know everything :)

If I had the money, I would go reference. Nvidia's NVTTM Cooler was introduced back in the 700 series. It's widely regarded as the best OEM reference cooler ever made. 
    post edited by gizmo88 - 2014/09/22 21:09:45
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 21:31:56 (permalink)
    FluffyZack

Normal superclocked version will be fine. I wouldn't recommend getting the ACX just because it dumps a lot of hot air into your case. The superclocked version should get you 1342MHz at default settings. Information on step-up can be found here
    hiz father
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:02:32 (permalink)
    The superclocked cards usually have better chips, in overclocking terms, so if you plan on overclocking then get a superclocked one; this doesn't necessarily mean regular cards cant be overclocked though.

“You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along.”  
    Heatware
    i7 2600k
    EVGA Z68 FTW
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC
    AX 850
    900D
    gizmo88
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:12:27 (permalink)
    hiz father
    The superclocked cards usually have better chips, in overclocking terms, so if you plan on overclocking then get a superclocked one; this doesn't necessarily mean regular cards cant be overclocked though.

It's possible, but I highly doubt that superclocked cards are binned. I think the only difference is a minor clock speed increase. The price difference is to minor.
    post edited by gizmo88 - 2014/09/22 22:15:35
    hiz father
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:14:24 (permalink)
    gizmo88
    hiz father

You really think superclocked cards are binned? I disagree with that assertion. I think the only difference is a minor clock speed increase. The price difference is to minor to suggest they are binning.

What I mean is some card don't pass the overclocking requirements to be a superclocked version so they get sold as regular cards.

“You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along.”  
    Heatware
    i7 2600k
    EVGA Z68 FTW
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC
    AX 850
    900D
    gizmo88
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:18:11 (permalink)
    hiz father
    gizmo88
    hiz father

You really think superclocked cards are binned? I disagree with that assertion. I think the only difference is a minor clock speed increase. The price difference is to minor to suggest they are binning.

What I mean is some card don't pass the overclocking requirements to be a superclocked version so they get sold as regular cards.

I know, that's called "Product Binning." Basically cherry picking the best samples and selling them at a premium. Intel is famous for it. A process like that comes at a cost however, and I would assume it to be much more expensive than a $10 increase.
    hiz father
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:21:48 (permalink)
    gizmo88
    hiz father
    gizmo88
    hiz father

I know, that's called "Product Binning." Basically cherry picking the best samples and selling them at a premium. Intel is famous for it. A process like that comes at a cost however, and I would assume it to be much more expensive than a $10 increase.

Ahh sorry I didn't know the term; people say they do it but I'm no valuable source  

Heatware
    i7 2600k
    EVGA Z68 FTW
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC
    AX 850
    900D
    gizmo88
    Re: Quick Question about the 980 2014/09/22 22:32:21 (permalink)
    hiz father
    gizmo88
    hiz father
    gizmo88
    hiz father

Ahh sorry I didn't know the term; people say they do it but I'm no valuable source  

I've always looked at the "Superclocked" cards as a factory overclock. It's possible the GPU's are cherry picked, the only thing that makes me think no is the minor increase in price/clock speeds. If you were to go through all that trouble, wouldn't you overclock it more than 50mhz? It's more likely that from the factory these GTX 970/980 have a pretty high threshold for overclocking as it is.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile