EVGA

Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX)

Author
doublenickel
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/04 04:42:23 (permalink)
Hello,
I'm new to the EVGA family and I have a question and could use some good advice so "Thank You" in advance!
I've built my first custom rig about 6 months ago and I like it! I went with a PNY NVIDIA GTX 750I on PC Express 3.0. using an EVGA Z87 FTW Mobo.
I've always wanted an EVGA GTX 780 (Reference card - Blower - titan family board) but didn't have the budget for it.
I was surfing NewEgg and came across them selling a Refurbished EVGA 780 from EVGA with a 1 year warranty. I couldn't pass up a chance to own a real EVGA card that fit my budget so I bought it!
I received it yesterday and It came in a sealed EVGA box and when I opened it.... well..... all I can say is that I might of shed a tear of joy to have such a great GPU....
I started looking around and then noticed that it came with nothing....  : (    No software, no cables, no instructions....
I got busy and found my cables from my PSU and downloaded a manual from EVGA but I'm unsure about how to proceed with the correct driver, EVGA has some, NVIDIA has some.... ???
I am running the NVIDIA GeForce Experience for my current card. (If that information helps any.) but I need some help getting the correct driver initially so I don't boot up to a black screen!
Any help, Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

12 Replies Related Threads

Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2037
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/04 04:48:26 (permalink)
    http://www.nvidia.com/Dow..d/index.aspx?lang=en-us

recommend 350.12 or or 353.38 that you can find here.

http://nvidia.custhelp.co...swers/detail/a_id/3694

Its best to download the driver you want to use,  un-install (completley) any previous drivers, software and nVidia Experience. then shut down your computer and change the card. Windows will load a standard VGA driver after rebooting, then you can install a fresh clean driver, and any other tuning software after that.

You can download the precision software from this site,  or Afterburner from MSI

http://www.evga.com/software/

http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
    post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/07/04 05:19:07

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:09:46 (permalink)
    Hello,

Pgcmoore... I did what you said,
    I removed all the old software....
    shut it down & switched cards....
    I powered it up and windows loaded it as a basic video card....
    I ran the driver from EVGA (353.30) It loaded and called for reboot.
    It tried to load windows but crashed....
    It reloaded with a screen calling to load previous settings, I didn't have any keyboard or mouse operation do I hit the reset.
    It booted back again with the card in basic driver mode....
    I then loaded the other download you recommended from EVGA (350.12) It did the same thing... crashed.
    The monitor has weird lines in the screen (they're blue... ?)
    I checked the Display section in windows 7 (64) and hit properties and it only shows the cars as a "VGA device"
    I don't know what else to do, everytime I try to clean install a driver it does the same thing....

I'm out of options at this point....

Ideas anyone?

Best, 
    doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:28:08 (permalink)
    P.S

I'm using a Thermaltake toughpower 750 Gold PSU (modular) I'm using the PCI-E cables that came with the PSU)

I'm also using both DVI/DVD connections on the back of the card but only have one monitor working with this GPU (basic VGA mode I guess..)

It did load GeForce Experience and I did the update and the CPU did the same thing.

I know its not my system... "My system is very stable" with mid to upper tier parts parts windows 7 (64) and have had no issues with my GTX 750ti (except it can't handle the video I run through it.) This system has been running for 6 months w no issues on Tripplite (3860 Jules) + UPS and my BIOS is up 2 date....

Best, 
    post edited by doublenickel - 2015/07/05 22:35:49
    Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:35:24 (permalink)
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694

click the link above and dl the driver for win7 64

try installing it using the express option this time.
    without a check in the clean install box

blue lines usually indicate a problem with the card itself, 

Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:45:57 (permalink)
    also, if you are using an adapter for vga/rgb you need to use the DVI-I only!

post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/07/05 22:52:38

Attached Image(s)

doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:56:20 (permalink)
    Hello,

Just did the update... Did the same thing.... crashed....
    It launched the startup repair then crashed again....
    it booted repair again and reloaded previous settings...
    so I'm back to VGA driver...
    Looks like the card is bad.... I would think... 

Best,

Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 22:59:53 (permalink)
    doublenickel
    Hello,

Just did the update... Did the same thing.... crashed....
    It launched the startup repair then crashed again....
    it booted repair again and reloaded previous settings...
    so I'm back to VGA driver...
    Looks like the card is bad.... I would think... 

Best,

sounds like it, try putting the other card back in to make sure thou, load the driver again, you can try swapping them out after the driver is loaded but it really should not be giving you this much trouble

Call or live chat Newegg, they will swap it out for you I am sure.

Good luck

doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 23:06:10 (permalink)
    Ok... will do in the AM....

Thank you for your support!

I have you Affiliate code and will use it next time I have a chance!

I'll post my results here....

Best,
    Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 23:12:07 (permalink)
    Awesome,  let us know how the egg handles this.

doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/05 23:40:43 (permalink)
    Hello,

Just changed out the card.....
    Put my old one in and it works perfectly... Both monitors are back too!
    It's the card.... I got the extended warranty with that 780 and I'm a power member too.... so free shipping on returns too...
    Lets see how they handle the RA...
    Best,
    doublenickel
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/17 16:25:53 (permalink)
    Pgcmoore... Will it's been a long 2 weeks getting this done and.... its still not over!
    NewEgg got me an RMA... I packed the defective card up and printed the shipping label they gave me via email and sent it off via UPS ground, they got it a week later and checked it in and authorized the return. Now NewEgg issues another order and sends out another card, 4 days later it gets to me. (today)
    I open this huge box and the card is sitting at the bottom of the box with all the packing on top of the card and.... this card is dead too....
    Probibly due to the fact that someone packed it incorrectly and got the hell beat out of it from NJ to FL...  : /

That's the update for now, I have to get another RMA and send the card back again......  : (
    Best, 
    Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Question about installing GTX 780 (03G-P4-2781-RX) 2015/07/18 04:42:12 (permalink)
    Thats not what I was hoping to hear from you at all. Recommend you get somebody on the phone or a live chat and get them to expedite immediately! I had the exact same thing happen around a year ago. They sent me an "open boxed" MB when I ordered a new one. Returned only to get a shrink wrapped one in a large box with no packing material in the box at all! I could see through the window in the MB's box it had came loose from the inside and broken off a fan header on the board. After a long live chat session they arranged for a next day UPS pickup and they cross shipped the replacement next day. So sad to see this almost becoming a norm from on line retailers really, there company is only as good as every link the chain. Including there shipping partners. I hope you can get this worked out, and thanks for taking the time to update.

ttyl,
    Pg.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile