EVGA

Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling...

Author
TheMadHatta
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/27 02:58:48 (permalink)
Hey again guys, gotta say im loving the community here donno why i havent been coming here and browsing/posting sooner.
Anyways ill try to keep it short and simple i have to concerns and one small questions about linking in these threads at the end.

First up, i had an ACX version of a gtx 780ti SC from evga of course. I converted it to using the nzxt kraken g10 with a kraken x40 cooler setup using custom fans. Before i continue work on that project i looked over what i thought to be an identical card that was running in SLI with the previous mentioned card... My build had shut down abruptly and abnormally, and immediately rebooted without any sort of error telling me my 2nd card was overheating. Is it true that when in SLI only the first cards temp is monitored for overheating to force shut down my win7 build by default?
      While i was looking at and cleaning my 2nd card again, which ive been told could be baked, could be sent in for repair, etc etc... i noticed the problem with it which was a minute amount of solder leakage out the corner of the GPU so tiny that it didnt even come close to reaching any of the tiny capacitors surrounding the gpu within the raised metal support frame... I noticed that while using my normal cleaning methods it seemed to be such a small amount i might be able to scrape away at it with say an exacto knife and just like that the excess solder i was worried about was flicked right off. Keep in mind this card was booting up fine before i took it out of my build but in fear of it damaging other components i shelved for some time. 
My question about all that is, does that sound like the card should hold up okay if properly cooled and treated with extra special care as a solitary or secondary sli card in a build?
      My other questions is regarding water cooling setups and my transition from the world of multi closed loop water cooling setups due to just shoddy build quality imo to what im thinking about using now. I would like to hear what you guys think about it. The reason i dont go with a full custom loop is due to weight constraints on my desktops shelf i mount it on.
Im looking at using a swiftech h240-x rad with my cpu and 1 gpu, which i read is strong enough for the following parts according to their forums. I would be using it with the stock cpu block a XSPC razor gtx 780ti v2 waterblock and an extra XSP EX140mm rad like recommended in the thread on swiftech i mentioned i read, with the possibility of expanding to my 2nd 780 if i can manage the weight but for now just the hybrid loop, cpu block, gpu block, and extra rad then back to the hybrid res/pump/rad to complete the circuit/loop. What do you guys think?
      My final questions is just me asking, when will i be allowed to attach links in my threads or posts without them being deleted/flagged as spam(sorry if thats a total newb stickied FAQ).

Thank you for your time reading this and for your opinions/thoughts in advance :)
post edited by TheMadHatta - 2015/05/27 04:07:53

5 Replies Related Threads

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling... 2015/05/27 03:27:05 (permalink)
    Well, I can answer the one regarding linking at least, there is a 50 post minimum for being able to post links that will work. You can however break the link in such a way that it won't work, but can still be followed if someone manually unbreaks the link and copies it to their URL bar. I'm not 100% sure if this is allowed, but as the intent is to prevent spam, rather than preventing links to legitimate information regarding say, a damaged card or whatever, I would assume it'd be OK.

As for the card, I'm not sure, you could try plugging in it by itself and see if that works, a system reboot isn't always a sign of an overheating card, often times if it happens under load it may be that it's not getting enough power, what PSU are you using to power the two GTX 780ties?

Water cooling I'm not very familiar with, so I'll leave that to someone else.
    TheMadHatta
    Re: Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling... 2015/05/27 04:23:06 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys
    Well, I can answer the one regarding linking at least, there is a 50 post minimum for being able to post links that will work. You can however break the link in such a way that it won't work, but can still be followed if someone manually unbreaks the link and copies it to their URL bar. I'm not 100% sure if this is allowed, but as the intent is to prevent spam, rather than preventing links to legitimate information regarding say, a damaged card or whatever, I would assume it'd be OK.

As for the card, I'm not sure, you could try plugging in it by itself and see if that works, a system reboot isn't always a sign of an overheating card, often times if it happens under load it may be that it's not getting enough power, what PSU are you using to power the two GTX 780ties?

Water cooling I'm not very familiar with, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Thanks for the reply, well the reason i think it was due to overheating was because if i remember correctly the PC shut down as if it blue screened but without any such scren, not file dump or anything, and rebooted, it then did the exact same thing again after it was almost past the windows logo booting into the full OS i believe.
    The other reason for thinking thats the reason is that the solder on the corner of the GPU had started to spill out of the corner seam as did another card that is completely fried which when i asked about somewhere else and posted photos i was told that card was so fried it had become my new ornamental paperweight. It had the exact same corner leaking solder from under the GPU but it had actually spilled out by a metric ton by comparison. Not to mention it actually reached at least 3 of those capacitors ruining the card, that one wont even boot up without crashes and god knows what possible risk to the mobo id put it at.

I was looking into the whole silly overflowing stuff people do to bad components i hope as a last ditch effort before throwing out the component or device. When i looked into that i noticed this thing called reballing which looked like just re doing the soldering joints on the underside of a processing chip or unit of any kind to allow it to complete its connections with either itself or the circuit board once reseated and heated back on as well.
    I believe the reballing technique is just a more professional way of going about baking a component as to ensure it lasts longer before going bad once again like many did with the towel trick for the xbox 360s, or like some crazy people do by baking their graphics cards.
    I could only see baking my completely ruined graphics card as making things worse and further spreading the leaked solder if not completely break the glue like seal around the gpu allowing it to just slide around freely until its cooled.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling... 2015/05/27 04:46:35 (permalink)
    What brand was the card that had solder leak everywhere, and cover the capacitors and what card specifically? Example, Zotac 660ti.

For the current card in question, if the solder didn't contact anything, it should be fine. I would use the warranty before attempting to bake, broil, fry, cook or reheat my cards. 780ti's haven't been out long enough for warranties to be gone, and only a silly person wouldn't use the warranty to save their cards.

If you want to post a link, use [.] like this www[.]insertlinkie[.]com and it will trick the system so we can see what you are seeing.
    TheMadHatta
    Re: Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling... 2015/05/27 07:23:18 (permalink)
    THanks but id rather not cheat the system and rather respect not being allowed to link stuff till im allowed theres no real need to but like i mentioned before all of the cards im talking about are evga GTX 780ti SC ACX edition cards which were made to fit a kraken g10 closed loop water cooling mount/adapter to allow for them to be compatible with the kraken x40 and x41 coolers. I modded the original ACX heatspreaders to fit with very high end 11w+ thermal conductivity pads/stickers of 1mm thickness alongside prolimatechs pk-3 thermal compound for the same level of thermal conductivity to be as specific as possible. I went overkill on cooling the vrm and vram since as far as i can see and everyone has told me theres no way without my laser thermometer to check the temps for that so i can only look at GPU temp, the original two 780s the ones that fried was due to the heatspreader either not being modded yet or just not having enough cut away causing uneven pressure allowing the first card to fry. The 2nd card which had some visible solder that leaked from the corner but didnt touch anything still booted up last i remember and so ive redone the heatspreader reapplied fresh thermal pads and paste and am using the kraken k40 on it and prepping a build to test it in since it sounds good to go from your responces.

My current card is a identical 780 with the same setup as the one i will be testing that had overheated and thus leaked a lil solder, and has had no problems but very high temps when under load due to not havin curt enough of the spreader away to make for the proper even contact between the kraken x40 and the gpu, that card however i will be attempting the xspc razor waterblock on with swiftechs cooling setup if no one thinks there is a good reason not to do so. The other card im running with that one right now is actually a kingpin 780ti classified card that i could easily fit either for the kraken g10, leave as is (the current plan) or attempt to include in the swiftech water cooling loop given i dont go over my shelfs weight limit for my new build its going in.

Sorry if any of that was confusing and sorry for the lack of grammar, im completely sleep deprived and need to be getting some sleep the next chance i get lol

Actually since you guys asked ill go ahead with it and include some butchered links so you can see how bad one of the cards turned out and ill look for the card that seems fine now when it had the solder still on it....

Found a public photo from my facebook blog album of PC work with the gpu that has solder melted all over 3-5+ capacitors its toast as far as i can tell and evga doesnt wanna repair it and nzxt doesnt wanna deal with it as far as i remember.... !www!facebook!com! /photo.php?fbid=10205299463943082&l=e43c1601ae
    post edited by TheMadHatta - 2015/05/27 07:44:27
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Question RE. an old thought to be dead 780ti, & questions RE water cooling... 2015/05/27 07:48:11 (permalink)
    Yes, please include the links. The link stoppage is to hold off bots that spam messages on the forum with links.

Did you butcher the heat spreader on all of your cards? I know you had done one. I am going to suggest the copper shim again. I know you said you weren't comfortable with it, but you are comfortable destroying your warranty, which is bass ackwards to everything that makes any sense at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007REGGFK look at that. Those are the ones I purchased and installed for my friend. $9 could save your warranty on 2 separate cards.. I am not going to suggest this, I am going to tell you that you need to get these in the future. You simply put thermal paste on the die, spread it out, set the shim in there, and then put thermal paste on top as if it were the die.. It's that simple.

If you are determined to cut the tabs off the heat spreader, and destroy the cards or overheat them, you are crazy.

I still have no idea what you are talking about with the solder on the card that is fully dead, where you said it got on 3 capacitors. How did that happen? Was that during the modification? Why haven't you RMAed the card? There should have been no way for the card to get hot enough to make the solder reliquify and start running.

Are you seriously considering cutting up the K|ngp|n heat spreader after having lost multiple cards over this same thing?

Stop with the thermal pads. They don't need to be touched. You can monitor vrm temps in hwinfo64, so where the idea of needing a laser thermometer is coming from confuses me. the tthermal pads, which I tried the extremely expensive one, and can't remember the name, which lowered my temps by about 3c. That isn't enough to waste the money. Adding heat sinks to the heat sinks isn't going to do all that much either.

At this point, I am not sure where you are gathering the information, but you need to ask direct questions, make them short, and put a tldr portion in. Your posts are getting longer and longer with justifications as to what you have done, and make less and less sense. You are destroying your hardware with a great rate of failure when less than $20 would have saved every single piece, and you continue to aim to do the same thing, seemingly hoping to have positive results one of these times. Stop. It obviously isn't working.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile