PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing

Author
cyber_nicco
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/29 09:52:58 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

I have an EVGA GTX 1060 SC, but when I run the PrecisionXOC software a number of features don't seem to be present.  I cannot make any changes on the OC Scanner tab, and there's no Kboost (or whatever the "K" stands for on the main interface) button present on the main interface.

Does the software think I have another brand of card, or are these features removed/disabled for the 1060 cards?  I can't find any comprehensive documentation for the software, but perhaps it exists somewhere?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

21 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/29 09:53:31 (permalink)
    Can you take a screenshot of GPUZ and do you happen to have an AMD motherboard?

cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/29 10:10:41 (permalink)
    Yes, sure.  Thanks for responding.

First off, yes, it is an AMD motherboard (Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0).

Secondly, the screenshot is attached.

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Image(s)

BrandonS
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 678
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/29 12:09:51 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums cyber_nicco! As Jacob alluded to, we've seen several reports of the Subvendor ID missing when a 10 series card is installed in an AMD-chipset motherboard. This is a known issue, and we're currently looking for the cause so it can be fixed. 
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/29 12:55:30 (permalink)
    Hi Brandon, and thanks for getting back to me.

Just curious...  When I installed the software it looked like that field was editable (Subvendor ID).  Is it something that can be manually input?

Thanks again.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/29 14:37:49 (permalink)
    cyber_nicco
    Hi Brandon, and thanks for getting back to me.

Just curious...  When I installed the software it looked like that field was editable (Subvendor ID).  Is it something that can be manually input?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately this is something that can not be edited manually. We are currently looking into this phenomenon and working on a resolution. 

cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/30 13:34:17 (permalink)
    Just thought I'd add...

This is a serious problem, as it is also preventing me from applying BIOS updates (at least that is what seems to be preventing me).  Is this actually being addressed seriously (not to imply it isn't), or is it on some future improvement list.

I'd like to find out while it is still easy for me to return the product.

Thanks!
    BrandonS
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 678
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/30 13:54:29 (permalink)
    Are you trying to apply BIOS updates from within Windows? If so, you may need to completely disable UAC to allow the changes to be made. If you're trying to update the BIOS from inside the BIOS menu, we'll need the exact error you're getting. 
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/30 15:06:43 (permalink)
    Well, I did it from an elevated command prompt and it said the BIOS wasn't for my card, so I assumed it was another issue of not being able to determine what the card was.  The BIOS was given to me (through download) as an executable file, so I am not sure how to do it through the BIOS menu, but I'll check again.

Thanks.
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/07/30 15:25:21 (permalink)
    I'm not sure where the "BIOS menu" is (though I did find the BIOS file in with the executable).  Is it in the EVGA Precision X OC application?  If so, I haven't found it.  Would it be there if the app doesn't think it's an EVGA card?  I disabled UAC and tried to run from command prompt again and got no errors this time, but I haven't seen a change in the Precision X app - I still can't get fan speeds below 45% (I think).  Also, under the info button on the main interface, the BIOS version is presented as five hexadecimal number that I can't seem to convert in a meaningful way to compare version numbers.

Continued thanks.
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/03 15:27:19 (permalink)
    P.S.  While EVGA is saying this is an AMD problem, it is clearly an NVidia or EVGA problem (I don't know if it effects all makers' NVidia 10 series cards, but I suspect it does - I had a Zotac 10 series card that seemed to display the same problem).  I mean, the issue with identifying the cards on AMD boards.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/03 15:36:04 (permalink)
    cyber_nicco
    P.S.  While EVGA is saying this is an AMD problem, it is clearly an NVidia or EVGA problem (I don't know if it effects all makers' NVidia 10 series cards, but I suspect it does - I had a Zotac 10 series card that seemed to display the same problem).  I mean, the issue with identifying the cards on AMD boards.

That fact that you have experienced the same exact issue with a Zotac 10xx series card on an AMD motherboard would indeed confirm that the issue is not just isolated to just EVGA models. As mentioned We are currently looking into this phenomenon and working on a resolution. I would suggest contacting your motherboard manufacturer for any possible insight on this matter.

cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/03 22:08:56 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, I think I had the same or similar issue, as the Zotac software wouldn't let me adjust voltage.  At the time I just assumed it wasn't implemented yet (and that might still be the case), but now think it might be a manifestation of the same issue.

That being said, the real issue is simply that EVGA will not allow me to use the full version of Precision X OC because it cannot determine what make my card is.  Seeing as this is a confirmed issue, I think it would be appropriate for EVGA to simply make available to me (and others in a similar situation) a version of Precision X OC that either forgoes the make/model check or ignores it and makes it the software fully-functional regardless.

I assure you, there are not hordes of people out there so interested in a fully-functional version of Precision X OC that they're queuing up to buy your cards just for access to the software. I mean, in case you guys would be worried that such software would makes it way onto the internet.  Sorry to act like a jerk, but you suggest contacting my motherboard manufacturer (Asus)?  You really think they're going to release updates on a several-year-old motherboard because someone just released hardware that doesn't work right on it?  Years later?

alan242
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/04 10:28:01 (permalink)
    I agree. Unless this an nVidia chip issue and affecting ASUS STRIX cards too, I don't think ASUS is going to release a BIOS update for motherboards that have stopped receiving BIOS updates.

In the meantime, can EVGA consider modifying the card check in Precision XOC to do something like this?
       if CPU == AMD then
         if PCI ID of function 0 for the PCI slot == 10de:1b80  then
            if PCI subvendor ID of function 0 for the PCI slot == 0000:0000 then
                 if PCI ID of function 1 for the PCI slot == 10de:10f0 then
                     if PCI subvendor ID of function 1 for the PCI == 3284:6286 then card_is_EVGA = true

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW  Monitors: Acer XB270HU, Dell WFP2407
    Motherboard:GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra  CPU: i5-6600K @4.5Ghz  RAM: 16GB Viper Elite 3200 @3733
    Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02  Power Supply: Corsair RM850i
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/04 13:09:36 (permalink)
    Or, just...

EVGA = true

...and be done with it. 
    BGLUK
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/09 07:05:19 (permalink)
    I've the same issue with a 990fx AMD board returning an undefined (0000) value for the subvendor; any update on a likely date for when this may be resolved?

Thanks

Bryan

kennyspt
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/20 16:02:49 (permalink)
    Any updates on when this will be resolved?
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/21 19:08:01 (permalink)
    Anyone?  Anyone?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/21 19:15:15 (permalink)
    Did you check the software forum? http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Software-f22.aspx

Did you email or call customer support? http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ 

Unfortunately the techs that sometimes go through the forums don't read every post.
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/21 19:29:15 (permalink)
    I did check the forums, thank you.  I did, also, open a support ticket.  They just replied that it an AMD problem (which it isn't, really) and said to check with my motherboard manufacturer for a fix.  LOL!  Basically, they are telling me to go screw myself.  They also said that other manufacturers are having the same problem, but I virtually guarantee you that they are assuming that because of me mentioning a problem I had with a Zotac 1060 card that I thought might be similar.  They jumped on that so fast the flies didn't even have a chance to takeoff!

To make matters worse, I asked them to help me facilitate a return to NewEgg, but the support person merely said they can only refund purchases made directly from them — misunderstanding (or trying to appear to) this simple request.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/21 21:08:41 (permalink)
    cyber_nicco
    To make matters worse, I asked them to help me facilitate a return to NewEgg, but the support person merely said they can only refund purchases made directly from them — misunderstanding (or trying to appear to) this simple request.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but what does EVGA have to do with a return to Newegg? They are legally two separate companies, so trying to get one company to help out with a return to another is kind of... well, lets just say it ain't gonna happen.

As to your main problem - that sucks. It looks like it is time to upgrade if you want full functionality. It sucks, it sucks really bad - I had to do the same with a $800 discrete RAID card because the previous generations weren't compatible with X99 boards.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/21 21:11:08
    cyber_nicco
    Re: PrecisionXOC Features Seem to be Missing 2016/08/22 22:02:09 (permalink)
    I see your point, arestavo, and I didn't really have much hope that they would help, but vendors deal with each other all the time.  I'm sure both companies have account managers that deal with each other.  That being said, I do appreciate your co-commiserating with me.  :)

As a courtesy, since - whomever's fault it is - the product cannot perform as advertised (yet is not "defective"), it is not totally unreasonable to ask for assistance in getting NewEgg to accept a return.

In any case, I guess I just have to live with it, because it seems like EVGA isn't going to do anything about it.  My only recourse is to avoid EVGA in the future.  It's too bad, too, because I've bought several power supplies from them and now this card and the products always seemed pretty good.  In this day of commodity tech products it's really just price and customer service that set most companies apart from the rest.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile