Author
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/09/25 20:03:58 (permalink)
To all PC Master Race on the Forum,

This is going to be a huge post, so pleaseeeeee read if you are patient and a helpful person <3

I have recently gotten a new PC, built by a computer shop in Toronto, Canada (Fortune Computers). I brought the PC about 2 days ago so it is still new. I will list my specs shortly. I have 2 EVGA GTX1080 FTW Edition installed on my RIG. It was running fine and really smooth. I would like to find out if both my video cards are running together while I am rendering my 1080P/60fps YouTube gaming videos via Adobe Premiere. At first, I assumed that it was rendering slow because It would take 2 1/2 hours to render a 1 1/2 hour gaming video with a file size of 5GB. I then installed Evga overclocking software and OMG it gave me issues like no tomorrow and almost gave me an intense heart attack because my PC would restart every 1 to 5 minutes after blanking out the screen.....I did not know why it was doing that but after a System Restore (Thank god for that!) i then realized it was the Overclocking software. I am pretty sure i didn't know what i was doing on the software since i pretty much maxed out everything? 

Another tweak that i have done was going to Bios and tweak EZmode to gaming/video editing performance also adding premier extension on Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology "thingy" shown on the taskbar. I have now minimized from 2 1/2 hour rendering to 1 and 10mins. Yet it didn't feel like it's doing as it is saying because it's honestly taking a sweet time at it!!

I also got this number reader in front of my tower panel and do not know what the heck it is for?? has tiny buttons to Overclock to Lvl1 and lvl2? and other features..... This part came with the motherboard Asus Rampage Extreme V.

I am a MAC user and really enjoyed using Final Cut Pro but the rendering on that was super fast. Fyi it is a 2013 edition of 27" iMac that stands nowhere near to my new RiG, spec wise. Anyways, if anyone can help me out, i would REAAALLLY appreciate it since i've spent a whopping 5K excluding a monitors, flashy keyboards and rog spatha mouse. I would really like to know how if i'm pushing my graphic cards to at least it's average potential or if it's just a gimmick.....

PC Spec:
Windows 8.1  Pro 64Bit (Because the store tech said that gtx1080 cannot get recognized by Windows10 Pro 64bit)
RAM - 24GB (32 GB Soon)
intel 6core i7
2x sli bridged (nvidea bridge) evga gtx1080 ftw edition acx 3.0
if there is anything else, please ask and i'll try to find the specs.

Thank you So much if you've read it and looking into helping me! <333333
post edited by moknowsbest - 2016/09/25 20:07:10
cyberdimensions
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 20:26:22 (permalink)
Don't use Precision X OC for now because it seems to give some users, myself included, problems, use MSI Afterburner instead.  Using it, you can watch the GPU usage while rendering so you can see whether both cards are used while you render or not.  You can also tell by looking at the temperature of the cards, if one is a lot cooler than the other, than obviously only one card is working.  You can expect about a 10 degree C difference between the top card and the bottom card with the bottom one being the cooler one.

Also, I recommend not overclocking the cards at all, they get pretty hot in normal usage as it is, and even with a 144 or 165 hz panel, chances are, any game supported in SLI will be close to maxing out your monitors refresh rate, so overclocking really doesn't accomplish much other than when you do hail mary runs in benchmarks.

Lastly, go into Nvidia control panel (just right click anywhere on your desktop on an empty space) and make sure SLI is disabled.  By default it is disabled and will always be disabled every time you install a new driver.  Actually, this is probably the first thing you should try.

Good luck, nice system you got there, looks pretty similar to mine (in the sig)

Welcome to the Forum.

i7 6850K @ 4.2 Ghz @ 1.27 V
Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard
2 x EVGA 1080 Ti in SLI with Nvidia HB Bridge and Hybrid kit using 4 ML120 fans
64 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 Ram
Corsair H115i Water cooler with 4 Corsair ML140 fans
Corsair 750 D Airflow edition case with 1 ML140, 1 Cryorig 140, 1 ML120 fan
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD
3 x Samsung Evo 850 500 GB SSD in Raid 0
Western Digital Black 2 TB HDD
Western Digital Black 640 GB HDD
Corsair HX1200i PSU
Acer Predator XB271HU IPS Gsync 144/165 Hz
Windows 10 Pro
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 20:31:15 (permalink)
moknowsbest
To all PC Master Race on the Forum,

This is going to be a huge post, so pleaseeeeee read if you are patient and a helpful person <3

I have recently gotten a new PC, built by a computer shop in Toronto, Canada (Fortune Computers). I brought the PC about 2 days ago so it is still new. I will list my specs shortly. I have 2 EVGA GTX1080 FTW Edition installed on my RIG. It was running fine and really smooth. I would like to find out if both my video cards are running together while I am rendering my 1080P/60fps YouTube gaming videos via Adobe Premiere. At first, I assumed that it was rendering slow because It would take 2 1/2 hours to render a 1 1/2 hour gaming video with a file size of 5GB. I then installed Evga overclocking software and OMG it gave me issues like no tomorrow and almost gave me an intense heart attack because my PC would restart every 1 to 5 minutes after blanking out the screen.....I did not know why it was doing that but after a System Restore (Thank god for that!) i then realized it was the Overclocking software. I am pretty sure i didn't know what i was doing on the software since i pretty much maxed out everything? 

Another tweak that i have done was going to Bios and tweak EZmode to gaming/video editing performance also adding premier extension on Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology "thingy" shown on the taskbar. I have now minimized from 2 1/2 hour rendering to 1 and 10mins. Yet it didn't feel like it's doing as it is saying because it's honestly taking a sweet time at it!!

I also got this number reader in front of my tower panel and do not know what the heck it is for?? has tiny buttons to Overclock to Lvl1 and lvl2? and other features..... This part came with the motherboard Asus Rampage Extreme V.

I am a MAC user and really enjoyed using Final Cut Pro but the rendering on that was super fast. Fyi it is a 2013 edition of 27" iMac that stands nowhere near to my new RiG, spec wise. Anyways, if anyone can help me out, i would REAAALLLY appreciate it since i've spent a whopping 5K excluding a monitors, flashy keyboards and rog spatha mouse. I would really like to know how if i'm pushing my graphic cards to at least it's average potential or if it's just a gimmick.....

PC Spec:
Windows 8.1  Pro 64Bit (Because the store tech said that gtx1080 cannot get recognized by Windows10 Pro 64bit)
RAM - 24GB (32 GB Soon)
intel 6core i7
2x sli bridged (nvidea bridge) evga gtx1080 ftw edition acx 3.0
if there is anything else, please ask and i'll try to find the specs.

Thank you So much if you've read it and looking into helping me! <333333

First thing that sticks out is they ripped you off. They wanted to get rid of their copies of Win8.1 that are not selling. Of course Windows 10 recognizes a GTX 1080. I would not even bother trouble shooting. I would immediately take back to the shop, and get a brand new replacement with Windows 10.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 20:35:07 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

First thing that sticks out is they ripped you off. They wanted to get rid of their copies of Win8.1 that are not selling. Of course Windows 10 recognizes a GTX 1080. I would not even bother trouble shooting. I would immediately take back to the shop, and get a brand new replacement with Windows 10.

+1  Win 10 of course works with it.  LOL.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 20:44:23 (permalink)
Omg! 2 replies already! Thank you guys soo  muCHH!!!!! the love is really in the air on this forum!! <33333
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 20:51:34 (permalink)
XrayMan
HeavyHemi

+1  Win 10 of course works with it.  LOL.

Thank you again so much for replying about the Win10Pro incident. Okay i need to know how to counter argue them... before reaching the store to pick up my PC, i was on a chat with evga tech support on UBER (uber rules! xD) and they said that yes Win10pro 64bit will recognize it. now when i got to the store, I showed them the message and the owner said, "why would we not give you win10 pro since you paid for it. I will happily install back the Windows10Pro but you have to wait until a patch comes out and bring it back so we can update it for you." They even said that they were on the phone with a technician and clarified to the owner as well that they are working on a patch. First and for most, I was super frustrated with them because it took them 3 weeks to build me the RiG since their supplier did not have the cards on stock. I kind of gotten frustrated and accepted the Win8.1 install...they did recommend on coming back and they will happily install Windows10 pro 64bit when the patch is available next month?

so i don't know if they were lying or just didn't have the Win10 Pro DVD in time because i requested to get a full refund if i don't get my RiG (last friday). Humanity can be soo cruel....

nautics889
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:00:48 (permalink)
also if you if they installed the first batch and not the FIXED revision's of the card, tell them to replace it. Because there is a problems with some of the cards. If you get the BLACK screen and 100% Fan speed FREEZE. Then your graphics may be bad. So have the place where you had it built replace it for you with the new revision if that's the case. since i'm pretty sure you're under their warranty still.

moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:01:02 (permalink)
cyberdimensions
Don't use Precision X OC for now because it seems to give some users, myself included, problems, use MSI Afterburner instead.  Using it, you can watch the GPU usage while rendering so you can see whether both cards are used while you render or not.  You can also tell by looking at the temperature of the cards, if one is a lot cooler than the other, than obviously only one card is working.  You can expect about a 10 degree C difference between the top card and the bottom card with the bottom one being the cooler one.

Also, I recommend not overclocking the cards at all, they get pretty hot in normal usage as it is, and even with a 144 or 165 hz panel, chances are, any game supported in SLI will be close to maxing out your monitors refresh rate, so overclocking really doesn't accomplish much other than when you do hail mary runs in benchmarks.

Lastly, go into Nvidia control panel (just right click anywhere on your desktop on an empty space) and make sure SLI is disabled.  By default it is disabled and will always be disabled every time you install a new driver.  Actually, this is probably the first thing you should try.

Good luck, nice system you got there, looks pretty similar to mine (in the sig)

Welcome to the Forum.

thank you so much for the reply!!! and btw you have a GODLIKE RIG, BROTHER!!!

So I am going to use the MSI Afterburner to only see if both cards are being used, but do not over'clock -- GOT IT! what about playing with the LED lights? it was fun customizing it using that Precision X'OC but no way in hell am i going to re-install it. any other you think i can change the colors?

The SLI is enabled and it's been like that ever since i got my PC. should they be disabled? if so, why? I can only assume that bridging both can boost my game capture quality and fast video edit renderings. Btw, as i was waiting i did a minor tweak like having the premiere software on RealTime priority under the taskmanager...it made it even faster so i'm happy about that as well :))

Anyway to turn on the fans on the gfx card or it's auto mode when it hits a high temp? just curious....

Thank you again!!!!
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:01:29 (permalink)
Patch for what?? Some other software they installed on your computer to work with win10??

Come back in a month when your too late to return it?
post edited by AHowes - 2016/09/25 21:05:47

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:03:20 (permalink)
nautics889
also if you if they installed the first batch and not the FIXED revision's of the card, tell them to replace it. Because there is a problems with some of the cards. If you get the BLACK screen and 100% Fan speed FREEZE. Then your graphics may be bad. So have the place where you had it built replace it for you with the new revision if that's the case. since i'm pretty sure you're under their warranty still.

Mann, i should run there store! look how much info i am getting just by registering and asking great questions here also getting great replies from intelligent folks !! <3 i will call them on lunch tomorrow!
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:09:05 (permalink)
If he just got this pc built and they were out of the cards it's possable there the new fixed versions but only way to know is to game on them for a while and see if you get the black screen and 100% fans of death. If it happends you'll be forced to restart your pc.

You can change the fans in evga's precision X oc fan profile. Adjust the fan curve to your liking. Having 2 cards in sli they will get toasty so please don't use the default fan curve.

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:21:37 (permalink)
AHowes
If he just got this pc built and they were out of the cards it's possable there the new fixed versions but only way to know is to game on them for a while and see if you get the black screen and 100% fans of death. If it happends you'll be forced to restart your pc.

You can change the fans in evga's precision X oc fan profile. Adjust the fan curve to your liking. Having 2 cards in sli they will get toasty so please don't use the default fan curve.

Awwww shucks! I don't really game on PC...should I just install a trial game? Let's say a AAA title like Doom and play it on max settings? How long does it take to counter the issue? Also if reinstall the precision and tweak jussssst a little to atleast turn on the fan should be okay right? I really don't want to get black screen on my dual monitor again which leads to a force restart after 4 secs of black screen. Sometimes it's like light brown/green screen on the second monitor then I have to restart manually cuz it just sits there. This happened when I started to dabble with the overclock mode on precisionXOC.
cyberdimensions
iCX Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:24:04 (permalink)
You can install Precision X real quick to set the color to your liking and then get rid of it again, that's what I did.

Not sure what patch they're talking about when it comes to installing Windows 10, but you can try if this works...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12340318/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available

Good luck!

Corsair HX1200i PSU
Windows 10 Pro
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:34:50 (permalink)
cyberdimensions
You can install Precision X real quick to set the color to your liking and then get rid of it again, that's what I did.

Not sure what patch they're talking about when it comes to installing Windows 10, but you can try if this works...

Good luck!

Cool thanks! I also see it on my update list apparently on the windows update but have it disabled. Also if by any chanceeeee it does not recognize the drivers...how can I revert it back? :( I apologize I really don't have extensive knowledge towards advanced steps. If you can give me some tips if it back fires, I'd really appreciate :)
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:45:36 (permalink)
You don't have to overclock with precision X. Just use it to adjust the fans if you want or the led colors.

Though when you do overclock you want to just go like +25 on the gpu core at a time. Hit ok and test. Maxing that slider would lock up anyone's pc hehe.

Most cards will do 2050-2100mhz some more some less.

So try +25 if it's fine then try +50 and so on.

Maxing the slider is prob like trying to get 4000mhz or something hehe

Would think evga would be able to tell you if you have fixed cards or not by the serial numbers off the cards. You should call evga customer support line and ask.

cyberdimensions
iCX Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/25 21:57:44 (permalink)
moknowsbest
cyberdimensions

Good luck!

Cool thanks! I also see it on my update list apparently on the windows update but have it disabled. Also if by any chanceeeee it does not recognize the drivers...how can I revert it back? :( I apologize I really don't have extensive knowledge towards advanced steps. If you can give me some tips if it back fires, I'd really appreciate :)

You shouldn't have a driver problem since you have all new hardware.

Corsair HX1200i PSU
Windows 10 Pro
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 03:26:48 (permalink)
AHowes
You don't have to overclock with precision X. Just use it to adjust the fans if you want or the led colors.

Though when you do overclock you want to just go like +25 on the gpu core at a time. Hit ok and test. Maxing that slider would lock up anyone's pc hehe.

Most cards will do 2050-2100mhz some more some less.

So try +25 if it's fine then try +50 and so on.

Maxing the slider is prob like trying to get 4000mhz or something hehe

Would think evga would be able to tell you if you have fixed cards or not by the serial numbers off the cards. You should call evga customer support line and ask.

Ahh...interesting. Will do as you recommended and going to contact evga support. Thank you :)
sethleigh
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 796
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 08:00:40 (permalink)
If your question is on enabling gpu acceleration in Premier, you might watch this or this and follow the instructions they give. Here is a good discussion on Premiere's use of two gpus.

As others stated, the claim that you have to wait for them to install Windows 10 on your machines because of some unspecified driver is dubious at best. I have to say, for a PC-specific shop to tell you Windows 10 won't work on a 1080 would be a huge red flag to me. Either it means they're a PC shop that knows less than your average enthusiast, or they're just feeding you a line of BS thinking you won't know any better. Neither one of these speaks well for them.

Also, you didn't mention what storage they put in. For the kind of money you spent it should be a fast SSD, but you didn't specify. For rendering you're going to want fast storage.

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 08:22:13 (permalink)
sethleigh
If your question is on enabling gpu acceleration in Premier, you might watch or and follow the instructions they give. is a good discussion on Premiere's use of two gpus.

As others stated, the claim that you have to wait for them to install Windows 10 on your machines because of some unspecified driver is dubious at best. I have to say, for a PC-specific shop to tell you Windows 10 won't work on a 1080 would be a huge red flag to me. Either it means they're a PC shop that knows less than your average enthusiast, or they're just feeding you a line of BS thinking you won't know any better. Neither one of these speaks well for them.

Also, you didn't mention what storage they put in. For the kind of money you spent it should be a fast SSD, but you didn't specify. For rendering you're going to want fast storage.

I can't thank you enough! To what you guys are saying. I am more than convinced that they have scammed me and took me for a fool...level of depression is too high right now....anyhow i will look into the gpu tuts you have provided and follow the steps <3 i have 3Tb for storage and 1tb SSD for main oS. I have also told them to add a liquid cooling system. From the looks of my pc it doesn't look like it. When i asked where i can add the liquid when water evaporates they said they don't know...
hapkiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 08:31:04 (permalink)
Man, it sounds like they really took you to the cleaners building that rig.  Way overpriced!  And it also sounds like they are either taking advantage of your limited knowledge, or they are ignorant themselves about a lot of things.  Of course Windows 10 Pro x64 will work fine with those cards.  And patch?  What patch?  There is no patch.  There were updates to the original build, but it would have worked fine before the updates, and now it will work a little better after the updates.

Also, why did you not buy a single Titan X Pascal if you are only going to render with this rig and not game?  You would have had great results, and NONE of these SLI issues.  Slightly less performance than two 1080's yes, but a single Titan X Pascal is nothing to sneeze at.  You now have a serious gaming rig that you aren't going to use for gaming?  And Doom isn't a demanding game at all to use for testing purposes.  I easily get >60FPS on max settings on Doom with a single EVGA 1080 FTW at 4k.  Try The Division.  I can barely keep frame rates in the 40's low 50's at 4k.

Seriously, I would consider returning that monstrosity and getting someone local (NOT THAT SAME SHOP) to help you build your own rig.  I just helped my 12 year old nephew make a build, and it was no problem.  It's incredibly easy.  You'll spend more time selecting what parts you want than actually putting the rig together.  

And what processor do you have?  You said "intel 6core i7."  There are several.  And it matters A LOT which one you have.  Is it a new Broadwell-E?  Like a i7 6800k or 6850k?  Or did they give you a last gen i7 5820K? (a i7 5820k is still a fine processor, but is not new, and you need to know what you are paying for).  And what exact RAM?  You said  "RAM - 24GB (32 GB Soon)," doesn't describe what RAM you have.  In other words like "CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666MHz" for example.  And what configuration?  24GB?  You need a lot of RAM for rendering and they should have told you that, but configurations are typically 8/16/32/64/128GB etc.... Not 24GB?

A week or so of Googling and a little research to educate yourself about components might have save you a lot of hassle.  I'm not trying to be mean, I feel bad for you really, but you could have built an outstanding rendering rig yourself with a single Titan X Pascal and a 6 core i7 6800k and saved $1500 if not more.

Your motherboard "Asus Rampage Extreme V" is an Extended ATX board (in other words huge!), and is overkill for what you needed.  And it a $500+ motherboard!  Did you pick it or did they recommend it?  Again if they told you that you needed this board, they screwed you over.

Also, what PSU do you have?  This is a BIG factor when running two cards in SLI.  It needs to be a high quality Gold or Platinum certified unit, of a good brand like SeaSonic, or Corsair. 

Sorry bro, but you got taken.  I'm not up on my Canadian consumer protection laws, but I would go back and demand a refund and give them back that thing.
post edited by hapkiman - 2016/09/26 08:38:52

Intel Core i9-9900k, Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 @3466MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC2 Ultra, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, WDHDD 2TB, Dell P2715Q 4K/UHD @60Hz, Samsung T27A300 1080p @60Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fractal Design Define R6 with x3 Corsair 140mm ML fans, SeaSonicXP2 860w, Corsair K70 RGB MK2, SteelSeries Rival 600, Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 08:33:02 (permalink)
Here is an image below of what is installed in my RiG.

post edited by moknowsbest - 2016/09/26 08:35:35

Attached Image(s)

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 08:46:33 (permalink)
moknowsbest

Oh ok it's a closed loop cooler that costs like $125-135 us. Corsair 1115i. That will cool your cpu a little better then the best cpu air cooler and there's nothing that needs to be done but every great while check the radiator for dust clog. Basically remove the fans to vacuum out the dust if needed. You don't need to ever add or flush liquid from it.

There a newer popular choice the past couple of years but a custom water cooling loop is still a bit better but one would need to know what there doing to install and maintain it flushing the loop every year or so and adding more fresh coolant.

That one is an aluminum rad and a custom loop you can use a all copper rad which will cool better.
post edited by AHowes - 2016/09/26 08:53:00

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:05:54 (permalink)
So this is the motherboard??

https://www.asus.com/us/M...rds/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/

If so it's an older model. Not the latest with USB 3.1

I thought at first you were talking about the newer rampage v 10 edition

https://www.asus.com/us/M...-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/

Yeah either one is overkill but the last one is one of the top mother boards out but designed really for extreme overclocking and quad sli/crossfire cards.

You would of been better served with a Asus deluxe I I board. https://www.asus.com/us/M.herboards/X99-DELUXE-II/

Hopefully you got a 6850k 6 core with 40 lanes and not the 6800k with 28 lanes. More lanes equalls more you can add to your board if needed. Like say more add in cards for runing raid m.2 or u2 fast ssd drives.
post edited by AHowes - 2016/09/26 09:07:56

moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:09:02 (permalink)
hapkiman
Man, it sounds like they really took you to the cleaners building that rig.  Way overpriced!  And it also sounds like they are either taking advantage of your limited knowledge, or they are ignorant themselves about a lot of things.  Of course Windows 10 Pro x64 will work fine with those cards.  And patch?  What patch?  There is no patch.  There were updates to the original build, but it would have worked fine before the updates, and now it will work a little better after the updates.

Also, why did you not buy a single Titan X Pascal if you are only going to render with this rig and not game?  You would have had great results, and NONE of these SLI issues.  Slightly less performance than two 1080's yes, but a single Titan X Pascal is nothing to sneeze at.  You now have a serious gaming rig that you aren't going to use for gaming?  And Doom isn't a demanding game at all to use for testing purposes.  I easily get >60FPS on max settings on Doom with a single EVGA 1080 FTW at 4k.  Try The Division.  I can barely keep frame rates in the 40's low 50's at 4k.

Seriously, I would consider returning that monstrosity and getting someone local (NOT THAT SAME SHOP) to help you build your own rig.  I just helped my 12 year old nephew make a build, and it was no problem.  It's incredibly easy.  You'll spend more time selecting what parts you want than actually putting the rig together.  

And what processor do you have?  You said "intel 6core i7."  There are several.  And it matters A LOT which one you have.  Is it a new Broadwell-E?  Like a i7 6800k or 6850k?  Or did they give you a last gen i7 5820K? (a i7 5820k is still a fine processor, but is not new, and you need to know what you are paying for).  And what exact RAM?  You said  "RAM - 24GB (32 GB Soon)," doesn't describe what RAM you have.  In other words like "CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666MHz" for example.  And what configuration?  24GB?  You need a lot of RAM for rendering and they should have told you that, but configurations are typically 8/16/32/64/128GB etc.... Not 24GB?

A week or so of Googling and a little research to educate yourself about components might have save you a lot of hassle.  I'm not trying to be mean, I feel bad for you really, but you could have built an outstanding rendering rig yourself with a single Titan X Pascal and a 6 core i7 6800k and saved $1500 if not more.

Your motherboard "Asus Rampage Extreme V" is an Extended ATX board (in other words huge!), and is overkill for what you needed.  And it a $500+ motherboard!  Did you pick it or did they recommend it?  Again if they told you that you needed this board, they screwed you over.

Also, what PSU do you have?  This is a BIG factor when running two cards in SLI.  It needs to be a high quality Gold or Platinum certified unit, of a good brand like SeaSonic, or Corsair. 

Sorry bro, but you got taken.  I'm not up on my Canadian consumer protection laws, but I would go back and demand a refund and give them back that thing.

First of all, you don't sound mean. you sound more like my dad who is giving me **** for making wrong choices. I am COMPLETELY fine with you ranting at me, promise. I have learnt alot so far by joining this forum and find you guys as my friends :)

What i have done first was looking at Alienware Desktop and got a quote after. I then took it to the shop (wish i've chosen another shop but they had good reviews and high quality service) and requested to match the specs with a lower price if possible. so they matched it but the price was more cheaper ofcourse so i changed the Graphic Card to GTX1080FTW. Anyways! i can list details specs on the others but have to wait until i get home after work. I know its on the 6000's and it's a 3.4 MHz? my MEM RAM are 8GB HyperX kingston fury.

The PC i wanted built were all my choices and that's where the issue was because generally they request there customers the specs and build it that way. I came in with my options and requested their services...I have also chosen the motherboard myself by first youtubing it :) I will also be gaming on my PC but few titles that deserves it such as Battlefield 1 and other sweet looking games since PS4 is a child to a PC RiG :P

At this point, i feel accustomed to WIN8.1 and probably get WIN10PRO x64 mid next year when it's 100% stable with fewer bugs and such.. but i am going to have to play The Division and see if i am getting a black screen and 100% FAN Freeze of Death to determine i have a faulty GraphicsCards. My sli bridge is the one that came with the box i believe? its the RoG Sli Bridge. it looks like a ribbon? i did mention i had a nvidea sli bridge but obviously i was wrong :( which one do you recommend again?

THANK IN ADVANCE! <3
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:11:59 (permalink)
AHowes
So this is the motherboard??

If so it's an older model. Not the latest with USB 3.1

I thought at first you were talking about the newer rampage v 10 edition

Yeah either one is overkill but the last one is one of the top mother boards out but designed really for extreme overclocking and quad sli/crossfire cards.

You would of been better served with a Asus deluxe I I board.

Hopefully you got a 6850k 6 core with 40 lanes and not the 6800k with 28 lanes. More lanes equalls more you can add to your board if needed. Like say more add in cards for runing raid m.2 or u2 fast ssd drives.

yeah its the first link which i wanted... not the second link. damn it! lol. maybe next year i can change the mobo.... i will get back to you on my intel specs when i get home :)
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:13:36 (permalink)
AHowes
moknowsbest

Oh ok it's a closed loop cooler that costs like $125-135 us. Corsair 1115i. That will cool your cpu a little better then the best cpu air cooler and there's nothing that needs to be done but every great while check the radiator for dust clog. Basically remove the fans to vacuum out the dust if needed. You don't need to ever add or flush liquid from it.

There a newer popular choice the past couple of years but a custom water cooling loop is still a bit better but one would need to know what there doing to install and maintain it flushing the loop every year or so and adding more fresh coolant.

That one is an aluminum rad and a custom loop you can use a all copper rad which will cool better.

Great! Thanks! will maintain cleaning process let's say...every 3 to 6 months? THank you!
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:14:33 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby moknowsbest 2016/09/26 10:29:04
For rendering I'd say:

I7 6850 6 core or 17 6900k 8 core
32gb or 64gb of corsair 3000 or 3200 ddr4 quad channel ram. So (8x4gb or 8x8gb dimms) if one wanted the max of 128gb it would need to be 16gb x 8 dimms costly.

Asus deluxe I I
Single 1080 or Titan but one would have to buy the Titan xp straight from nvidia unless the shop can.

One would want atleast a single samsung 950 pro 512 and or Intel 750 1.2tb drive. Best would be another pci-e add in cards for another m.2 or u2 ssd for raid.

That corsair liquid cooler is fine.
post edited by AHowes - 2016/09/26 09:16:53

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:24:46 (permalink)
Oh ok then that changes everything.. you request the parts. :/

I bet there's not much you can do but I guess it don't hurt to ask.

For gaming you did good. ;)

But yeah test those cards and atleast call evga anytime 24/7 and have them check the serial numbers and hope they can tell you if yours are made before Aug 30th. Cause after that they supposidly fixed the hardware issue but still some say there new cards had the same prob. But if it's old then hopefully the shop can help you out or evga can give you an advanced rma and cross ship you the cards so your not without a pc in the mean time. You should act fast cause after 30 days of purchase you only get used cards in return.

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:30:47 (permalink)
I will say for using sli cards it will get hot in the case if there not founder edition cards with blower style fans that exhaust the heat out the back of the case. So hopefully your case has good air intake and out.

The default fan curve on the cards is pretty weak with the card fans not turning on till after they reach 60c and low rpm at that.

If you download evga's precision X oc software you can adjust the fan curve for better cooling and performance then out of the box and still keep the noise down and cool the cards better. I'd like the fans best atleast 75-80% at load tempts of 50+ that way the cards hopefully won't hit 80c.. they will max out at 82c and the cards with dynamically downclock to keep themselves cooler.

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: PC NOOB in need of HELP! Dual GTX1080 FTW Edition ACX 3.0 2016/09/26 09:42:04 (permalink)
And hey don't beat yourself up over this thst much.. we all live and learn! That's how it works!

My first pc I bought was way back in 94. Bought a Packard Bell P2mmx system and 13" monitor <- haha

Anyways that thing would blue screen pretty quick no matter what. Had it in the repair shop 3 times getting this and that replaced and I called Packard Bell and said you gotta replace this per the lemon law. So they sent me a faster rig and a larger monitor for free!

After that I tore that whole pc apart and gutted the mainboard.. examined everything ans vowed to myself that I was gona learn what everything is and how it works and from there on I have been building my own for the past 22 years! ;)

If it wasn't for that turd of a system I wouldn't be who I am today! A guy that's about to build my fresh new gaming rig this after noon! Haha

I7 6700k water cooled
Asus maximus viii hero alpha
16gb 3600 ddr4
2x evga 1080 classified sli water cooled
Samsung 950 pro 512gb
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb games
4tb wd black hdd backup/extra
27" asus rog strix 2560x1440 164hz monitor
Thermaltake core x9 case
EK water cooling gear all around

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile