Opinions - Bling the Blocks!

Author
Questors
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2016/06/25 13:17:27 (permalink)
Yeah, the word decorate just didn't seem to work here.   The picture gives a few ideas with stuff I have on hand. The metallic EVGA on the VRM block is staying as is. It is a nice silvery finish that will break up the solid black (the idea of the whole thing) and work well with the nickel plated CPU block and GPU backplates without looking gawdy. Not to mention is looks like a factory sticker, as if it belongs there.

What to add to the Southbridge is my main concern. I like the Powered By EVGA sticker more than the lettering. It would look better centered too. The sticker also looks better with the protective plastic covering removed (still on in pic).

Oddly, the FTW K lettering above looks like each letter gets bigger as you look toward the center, with the red K actually appearing smaller. That is not the case, they are all the same size. 

So, what do you think? A centered Powered By EVGA sticker? A metallic EVGA sticker? Don't be shy, share your thoughts! What would you do?

BTW - These are the copper waterblocks forum user Nateman.doo makes! They are very nice.
post edited by Questors - 2016/06/26 07:13:13

Attached Image(s)

11 Replies Related Threads

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/26 03:20:54 (permalink)
    It looks ok the way it is. I am thinking it may even look a bit better with just the EVGA sticker centered. Either way you have some great blocks from the Nateman. I love his work, it is top notch!
    Just another thought, What do you think of putting the FTW a bit higher and a bit to the right, then the K below?
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/26 07:18:41 (permalink)
    notfordman
    It looks ok the way it is. I am thinking it may even look a bit better with just the EVGA sticker centered. Either way you have some great blocks from the Nateman. I love his work, it is top notch!
    Just another thought, What do you think of putting the FTW a bit higher and a bit to the right, then the K below?

I will give that a try as soon as I can find the time. As July 4rth gets closer, I am finding my family has decided I have no time of my own. It is theirs to command at will!  

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/26 16:03:16 (permalink)
    Few more ideas...

More on the lettering to come. Have to steal away from the massing family members!

Attached Image(s)

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/26 17:11:01 (permalink)
    It might be just me but it looks a bit trashy.
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/26 17:53:37 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    It might be just me but it looks a bit trashy.

Your opinion is welcome.

If I may, are you referring to a particular example or all of them in general? In other words, could you be more specific with your feedback?

The EVGA sticker with metallic lettering and the Powered By EVGA sticker have protective covers on them. The rest are manipulated photos just to get an idea of what things could look like. So, these are not finished products.

As to the vinyl white and red lettering, it is losing favor with me. It doesn't give me the look I was hoping it might.
    post edited by Questors - 2016/06/27 07:56:38
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/27 17:05:50 (permalink)
    I would personally lean more towards masking it off and painting a logo onto it, it would look a bit better and less like an afterthought.
    If possible (meaning you have the tools and experience to try this) I would etch the logo into the top, then paint it with transparent UV reactive paint for the color you like, then use a UV CCFL, might need to make some shielding around it so it is directed, then your logo will glow when you want to and otherwise be in stealth mode.

I have done things like that before, both hand etching as well as painting into gaps that came on the case, like the bay releases for a HAF932, I filed in the cooler master logo with UV reactive blue paint, you couldn't see it until a light was on.
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/27 17:32:30 (permalink)
    That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools for something like that. It is worth taking a look around my locale to see there is anyone who does this kind of work.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/27 17:38:12 (permalink)
    I like the logos with out the badges.  I feel the badges do look too aftermarket and bulky.  A little simplicity can go along way, plus chances are they will be possibly blocked depending on your configuration but nonetheless, pretty cool side project you got going here.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/27 18:46:29 (permalink)
    You have presented many ideas; just have fun with it.

My thoughts:
    You might want to get your fittings and hose figured out first, before making plans.  Fittings take a lot of room and your hoses may in fact make it impossible to see anyways.

Covering the fifth "center" fastener may pose issues with maintenance.

What kind of case are you using, window placement, case lighting, PC on desk top or floor ? - all issues that may need to be addressed in your solution

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/27 23:50:02 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

My thoughts:
    You might want to get your fittings and hose figured out first, before making plans.  Fittings take a lot of room and your hoses may in fact make it impossible to see anyways.

What kind of case are you using, window placement, case lighting, PC on desk top or floor ? - all issues that may need to be addressed in your solution

+1

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Opinions - Bling the Blocks! 2016/06/28 05:28:54 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

My thoughts:

All good points! Thanks for the input. Keeping this project fun is the first priority.

gtxjackbauer
    I like the logos with out the badges.  I feel the badges do look too aftermarket and bulky.  A little simplicity can go along way, plus chances are they will be possibly blocked depending on your configuration but nonetheless, pretty cool side project you got going here.

The logo appliqué has been a leading contender from the start. It is simple, yet looks as if it could be more original to the board.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile