EVGA

One PCIe slot not working properly

Author
Twinson
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/25 03:36:22 (permalink)
Hello!  I would like to run a problem by the community to see if anyone has any suggestions to this issue.

As of last night, when I powered on my computer the display was coming up at the wrong resolution, and only one monitor (2 monitor set up) was coming on.  I have the FTW X99 board and an EVGA 970 SSC video card.  I checked in device manager and there is a yellow triangle on the item:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5 v3/Core i7 PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2F04

I had the video card in slot 4 (I believe 1 and 4 are X16?) and it had been working fine.  After this issue, I moved it to slot 1 and it is working fine there now as well.  I checked in the BIOS and even when plugged into slot 4 it shows up as "X16 Gen 3" so it seems like the BIOS understands that the card is there.  

If I open up GeForce Experience while he card is in slot 4 it says something to the effect that no compatible hardware is detected.  I also can't reinstall the video drivers with the card in #4, it says that there are no GeForce cards detected.  I tried my GTX 770 from another computer, and it also does not work in slot 4.  I'm not entirely sure where the drivers for the device with the issue in device manager are supposed to come from.  Doing a search for it yields about 20 sites promising to give me the drivers, but not a single one looks the least bit legit.  I've never had to manually install a driver for this before, and I'm assuming if the port was working properly it would auto-install.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Computer specs...
X99 FTW board
i7 5930k
EVGA 970 SSC
16 gig GSkill RAM
Aser XB270 monitor, display port
HP 25" monitor, HDMI

Thanks for any infos!

D

5 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: One PCIe slot not working properly 2015/04/25 08:29:04 (permalink)
    You usually want to use PCI-E slot #1 for a single GPU.  I am not familiar with only using slot #4 but yes, slot #1 and #4 are the only PCI-E x16 if you were to add another GPU to the mix.

Use either EVGA's driver site or Nvidia's to get your GPU driver.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Twinson
    Re: One PCIe slot not working properly 2015/04/25 13:05:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, I figured slot one would normally be the choice for a single card, but in my situation it was much better for cooling in slot 4 so that's where I put it.  I had worked fine up until yesterday, now neither card that I try in slot 4 work properly.  As I mentioned, I'm no longer able to install the drivers for it when it's in slot 4 since the card isn't properly recognized and the install package won't allow it.  In fact, with the card in slot 4, the entire category for Display Adapters in device manager is gone.

I'm really just trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue or a software issue.

D
    Twinson
    Re: One PCIe slot not working properly 2015/04/25 14:33:08 (permalink)
    Solved!

Apparently the missing driver was part of the chipset drivers, but it wouldn't install properly from the setup.exe that was included with it.  I downloaded the chipset drivers in .zip form, and in device manager selected the manual install option.  I pointed it to the extracted .zip file and it installed properly.  

Just thought I'd post that on the off chance someone else happens to have the same unusual problem, hope it helps :)

D
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: One PCIe slot not working properly 2015/04/25 15:04:51 (permalink)
    That is what that DVD is for!
    You should install the DVD and let it do it in the correct order needed.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: One PCIe slot not working properly 2015/04/25 15:13:33 (permalink)
    Twinson
    Solved!

Apparently the missing driver was part of the chipset drivers, but it wouldn't install properly from the setup.exe that was included with it.  I downloaded the chipset drivers in .zip form, and in device manager selected the manual install option.  I pointed it to the extracted .zip file and it installed properly.  

Just thought I'd post that on the off chance someone else happens to have the same unusual problem, hope it helps :)

D

Glad it all worked out.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile