EVGA

Hot!Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away

Author
Surenzxx
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/01/12 20:39:00 (permalink)
Whenever I uncheck the Nvidia Control Panel's "Show Notification Tray Icon" option the system tray icon keeps popping up. Every time I do uncheck the tray icon disappears, but if I open Nvidia Control Panel again and close it the icon keeps popping up. The same thing happens everytime I restart or log off. I have tried searching this problem but I haven't found any relate-able problems or solutions. Is there anyway to stop the icon from popping up so much? I really hate unnecessary icons in my system tray since the Nvidia Control Panel is already in my desktop context menu.

15 Replies Related Threads

malVizio
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2391
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 20:50:20 (permalink)
    wow all this rage for a poor tray icon...
    sorry mate i never tried since i didn't notice it!

Case:Silverstone FT02 
    M.B.:EVGA DARK X79/PSU: Corsair HX1000 
    GPU:EVGA GTX980Ti SC /RAM:32GB DDR3 Corsair 
    CPU:Intel i7 3930K+Noctua NH-D14
    FANS:3xSilverstone SP200mm 
    SSD/HDD:2xSamsung EVO 850 256/1xPNY 256gb/Seagate 500gb
    MICE:Razer DA Elite/KB:Collermaster Rapid I/
    HP:Shure SRH440/Logitech G633
    Screen:Dell Ultrasharp 2711U
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 20:59:38 (permalink)
    Surenzxx

Whenever I uncheck the Nvidia Control Panel's "Show Notification Tray Icon" option the system tray icon keeps popping up. Every time I do uncheck the tray icon disappears, but if I open Nvidia Control Panel again and close it the icon keeps popping up. The same thing happens everytime I restart or log off. I have tried searching this problem but I haven't found any relate-able problems or solutions. Is there anyway to stop the icon from popping up so much? I really hate unnecessary icons in my system tray since the Nvidia Control Panel is already in my desktop context menu.

That is a strange one. What driver version are you using and have you tried a clean install of the driver? In other words,
    When installing the driver, select custom, the check the clean install box then select the driver item you wish to install. Secondarily using the clean install option you can deselect the Nvidia Update Component and see if that cures it.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:01:25 (permalink)
    Surenzxx

This occurs because you used the "express" install option or used Nvidia "auto update" which uses the same...

Doing so==> installs 4 added components that are -completely- unneeded, one of which is the NVTray

The fix is quite easy.
    Download your current driver from Nvidia
    Launch the installer, using "CUSTOM MODE"
    Uncheck everything--> but the Nvidia Graphics Driver and PhysX (only these two components are needed) 
    AND-->Put a check box in "perform a Clean install"
    Click next and complete the install...

No more NVTRAY, use the control panel if needed

squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2904
    • Ribbons : 24
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:18:30 (permalink)
    nvtray is not present if updater is removed.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:25:32 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Surenzxx

This occurs because you used the "express" install option or used Nvidia "auto update" which uses the same...

Doing so==> installs 4 added components that are -completely- unneeded, one of which is the NVTray

The fix is quite easy.
    Uncheck everything--> but the Nvidia Graphics Driver and PhysX (only these two components are needed) 

This issue should not occur using the express install option from the installer. He should be able to deselect the 'Display Notification Tray Icon' using the Nvidia Control Panel and it should not display.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:33:31 (permalink)
    All the more reason to perform a correct Custom/Clean install

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:39:02 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

All the more reason to perform a correct Custom/Clean install

I think you misread my post.

Surenzxx
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2013/01/12 21:39:32 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Surenzxx

The fix is quite easy.

Thank you so much. 
    post edited by Surenzxx - 2013/01/12 21:46:32
    codekrash
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/27 10:54:20 (permalink)
    it's been 3 years and maniacvvv's workaround no longer works!

Does anyone know how to cease the endlessly persistent tray icon (advertisement token)'s appearance?

The thing is, if the setting is within the NVIDIA control panel then I won't be able to access that GUI because I don't have a monitor attached to my NVIDIA GPU.  For some reason if you don't have something actually attached to the card it will take a (Deleted for Foul Language) on your face if you try to open the control panel.

It would seem like this (Deleted for Foul Language) wouldn't be an attribute of NVIDIA (Deleted for Foul Language) still, but it is.  I WONDER WHY , no i don't, it's willful ignorance because of all of the game streamers, people see that (Deleted for Foul Language) nvidia icon and its ultimately adding a boost of awareness and thus revenue.   If you right click -> exit - close the icon then the endless timed loop will fire the (Deleted for Foul Language) up again in 5 minutes or so.  I thought it was a (Deleted for Foul Language) virus at first using the (Deleted for Foul Language) to launch something else so i ran an MBAM scan which turned up clean  Even with an empty task scheduler it still manages to remain permanently (Deleted for Foul Language) affixed to my screen because the god damn kernel mode video drivers are invoking the launching of this trash.

I don't (Deleted for Foul Language) like being used.  (Deleted for Foul Language) off for trying to using me.  This will be my last NVIDIA purchase because of this.  Not EVGA related, just too mad to post my grievance on the right forum.  Not so (Deleted for Foul Language) subtle now is it NVIDIA you greedy (Deleted for Foul Language)
    post edited by XrayMan - 2016/08/27 20:36:12
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/27 11:20:36 (permalink)
    #1 Boot into safe mode.
    #2 Delete nvtray from C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\
    #3 Reboot PC.
    #4 Done.
    codekrash
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/27 12:39:56 (permalink)
    thanks for the info, that seems to work

how do i make it not reappear when NVIDIA releases an updated driver and i install that or even if that gets installed automatically if i decide to get (Deleted for Foul Language) experience?
    post edited by XrayMan - 2016/08/27 20:37:02
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/27 12:42:34 (permalink)
    codekrash

how do i make it not reappear when NVIDIA releases an updated driver and i install that?

Uncheck it in the Control Panel, that is if you install the driver from NVIDIA and Not Windows Update.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/27 12:43:04 (permalink)
    codekrash

how do i make it not reappear when NVIDIA releases an updated driver and i install that or even if that gets installed automatically if i decide to get (Deleted for "quoting" Foul Language) experience?

No problem. You'll have to delete it again on each new driver install. Don't install geforce experience.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2016/08/27 20:37:51
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2016/08/28 00:47:49 (permalink)
    I'll remind everyone that cursing/swearing isn't allowed on the forums. Such posts will be deleted or edited.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Maq47
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Nvidia Settings System Tray Icon Won't go away 2023/08/08 19:36:47 (permalink)
    Well, now it's been 7 years. SEVEN. And now NvTray.exe no longer exists, and is instead seemingly integrated into the kernel-mode driver itself. I have an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB. Now how, at this juncture, can I disable the systray icon popping up upon every boot, even with the option in the CPL itself being unchecked? I literally need to right-click the systray icon and click Exit every single time I reboot, which is mildly infuriating. I have clean installed the latest Game Ready Driver under Custom, and installed only the Display Driver and HD Audio Driver, and the godforsaken thing STILL pops up upon reboot. What fix is there now? Now, don't tell me there is no fix other than 'downgrading' my NVIDIA software, as this has been a thing since the release of my specific GPU; there is no older version without this 'feature'!

Edit: Okay, I tried reinstalling the same way again in case I messed up and misclicked before, and now installation of the driver is failing altogether, merely saying 'Failed' next to Display Driver, and 'Not Installed' next to HD Audio Driver... Now I cannot install the driver whatsoever.

Edit 2: Apparently this error is widespread with 536.99, so I'm installing 536.67 instead. Hopefully this one works, because if not, I'm going to need some serious help.

Edit 3: So apparently Windows decided to reuse the old driver data the first time I installed the latest version, despite setting it to use a clean install. I forcefully removed the offending drivers, and now we're getting some progress. Hopefully this'll disable the popup in the systray this time...

Edit 4: Alright, so apparently that did nothing. 536.67 also says 'NVIDIA Installer Failed', so I cannot install it, either. Guess I'm trying an even OLDER version, although I really don't want to.

Edit 5: Okay, I enabled full installer logging, and apparently I need to run the installer as Admin. :facepalm:

flq: CopyFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl.dll' to 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp\OLD9F07.tmp' FAILED
    ! flq: Error 5: Access is denied.
    !!! bak: Failed to copy 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl.dll' to 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp\OLD9F07.tmp'. Error = 0x00000005
    !!! flq: Failed to commit copy queue. Error = 0x00000005
    Edit 6: So, I finally got it working. Had to temporarily take ownership of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\ and all its contents, add myself with Full Control, then manually delete ALL NVIDIA-related driver stuff from the folder, then change the owner back to SYSTEM. After that, it installed perfectly.

Now, the moment of truth. I unchecked both options in NVIDIA Control Panel. Will the icon pop up after a reboot? I'm very nervous. Well, here goes. I'll do a final edit with my results.

FINAL EDIT: Now it works, and no more pesky tray icon! I originally had the Windows Update version. So, it appears that even after removing the drivers via Device Manager, my PC kept a stale copy of the Display Driver DLLs in DriverStore under 'nvmdig.inf_<guid>, which contained the Control Panel DLL. This was being reused by the NVIDIA installer as apparently the DLLs haven't been updated in 6 months, and my version from Windows Update is 5 months old. This was causing a conflict after uninstall of the drivers from the NVIDIA website, because NVIDIA's installer chose not to remove these 'stale' drivers when uninstalling, but told my PC's registry that they were deleted, so even a clean install failed since it thought those files were 'cleaned' already.

All in all, a very frustrating ordeal. I now have automatic driver downloads disabled on my PC, and I plan to keep it that way.
    post edited by Maq47 - 2023/08/08 21:56:41
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile