EVGA

No sound after 750 Ti installation.

Author
phoeberose
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/24 13:56:43 (permalink)
My old video card (HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670) died recently and I purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2 GB) along with a new 520 watt PSU and installed them both. I also uninstalled my old video card's drivers and installed the new video card's drivers from online. I had some trouble installing and had my friend help and he had me do a CMOS reset, which may be my problem because a lot of people lose sound after a CMOS reset but I can't find a solution. Anyway..

Both the PSU and the video card now work perfectly, but I have no sound coming out of my speakers (Logitech Z130), nor is my headset/microphone working for voice chat (no one can hear me talking).

My computer and my voice chat program register that the speakers and the headset are plugged in and into the right jacks, but no one can hear me talking and the only sound I hear from my speakers is a high pitched static/ringing/squealing. I plugged my speakers into my laptop and they work perfectly, so I am assuming my speakers are fine.
Here is what I have tried:
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled my sound drivers. Rolled them back and forth again.
  • Gotten into the BIOS (ASUS UEFI Bios Utility for my ASUS P8H67-M PRO motherboard) and enabled on-board audio.
  • Had my friend who works at Microsoft take over my computer for over an hour. He went into device manager and the Realtek audio manager and tried literally everything possible to no avail. He recommended I find a USB headset/speakers and just leave it broken, LOL.
  • Checked all of my mobo cables and as far as I can tell they are all in the right places and plugged in very securely.
  • Plugging my headset and speakers into the front analog jacks and the back and neither of them work.
  • Plugged in my TV (with built-in speakers) as a monitor and the sound works. Switched it back and nothing. I'd use this as a monitor if the picture wasn't so wonky.
  • Tried a VGA and an HDMI connection to no avail.
  • Gone through all of the settings on NVidia Control Panel. Under 'set up digital audio' every option says 'No audio capable display available.'
  • Right clicked my volume and gone through all of the Playback Devices enabling and disabling. Same with Device Manager. When 'testing', no sound comes out.
My computer specs are here: I was considering buying a sound card to see if that would work, but looking inside my case I don't think I have room for one.

Is there anything you can think of? I am still thinking it's probably my video card's audio trying to override the onboard audio, but Googling a solution has been fruitless because it's almost always a post where there is no solution and just people suggesting things I have already tried. If I have to return the video card for a new one, does anyone have one they'd recommend of similar quality around the same price range ($170)? Thanks so much in advance; I am at my wit's end! :(
post edited by phoeberose - 2014/07/24 13:59:30

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: No sound after 750 Ti installation. 2014/07/24 15:41:25 (permalink)
    So your on-board audio is powered by Realtek... Here is what I recommend you do...

#1 Create a system restore point.
    #2 Uninstall all Realtek software & drivers from add/remove programs.
    #3 Download & Install CCleaner & Driver Sweeper 3.2.0.
    #4  Run driver sweeper 3.2.0, check mark ASUS - Sound,  Creative - Sound & Realtek - Sound, select Analyse button, if a list of entries pop up select the Clean button, when asked to reboot select Cancel. Do the scan again to make sure all entries are removed/deleted, if all entries cannot be removed/deleted please post that the entries cannot be removed/deleted along with a screenshot showing what cannot be deleted. If the entries were removed/deleted successfully continue onto the next step..
    #5 Run ccleaner, select the registry tab, select scan for issues button, select fix selected issues button, when asked to backup the registry select "no" (we made a restore point earlier, we don't need to worry about backing up the registry entries.), select fix all selected issues button. Do the scan again to make sure all entries are removed/deleted.
    NOTE: Two entries may still appear after multiple cleanings (it should be one or two and no more), this is normal and should be ignored, all other entries should be gone. 
    #6 Reboot the PC.
    #7 Test the sound. If the sound is now working install the latest Realtek audio drivers from the Realtek website.
    _NathanF
    • Total Posts : 25
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: No sound after 750 Ti installation. 2014/07/24 16:40:23 (permalink)
    Some graphics cards may disable sound card in the bios when installed.  This is just the bios being confused thinking you installed a sound card, and thinking you no longer need onboard sound.  Make sure in the bios your onboard sound device is not set to "auto".  Set the onboard sound to "Enabled" or "always on"
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile