No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi

Author
MWHDVideo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/02 19:57:49 (permalink)
I assumed the DVI port was the main priority port on the Titan X as with my GTX680. However, I cannot see anything displayed on any of my connected monitors until the Windows desktop loads. There is a period of about 90 seconds where I can't tell if the machine is even starting up because all monitors are black.
I CAN get into BIOS config on the Titan's DVI port. But I can't see the Windows startup options, logo screen, nor F8 Boot Menu. I'm completely blind until the desktop appears. It's as if all those screens are being redirected somewhere remote.
The internal VGA that's built into the motherboard is disabled, both by jumper and by BIOS option settings, so all startup should be redirected to the only other graphics device in the machine--which is the Titan X.
I seem to be missing something here, with this 90 second black out period where I cannot tell what the system is doing.
How can I configure the GPU to display the POST and Windows startup screens?

6 Replies Related Threads

yuukichan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/03 19:52:28 (permalink)
    Turn off secure boot in the bios?
    MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/03 21:45:40 (permalink)
    I can't find any 'secure boot' option in BIOS. Where would this be? I'm not using UEFI mode.
    yuukichan
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/04 16:07:21 (permalink)
    I think it is a feature of UEFI. I think the only other thing I can suggest is that you find the setting that allows you to set the location of primary gfx card and set the card as the primary one. That or maybe contact super micro about the issue and see if they have a bios fix for it.
    MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/04 16:28:27 (permalink)
    I have disabled the on board VGA and set the PCI slot to be the primary display.

Supermicro tech support's solution is to use msconfig to set Windows to boot in safe mode the next time it boots up. :-/

I'm running the latest BIOS, too.

The thing is, what if I need to do a diagnostic boot of Windows so I can see all the driver stack loading and troubleshoot a problem? Can't see anything with this setup. And their tech keeps sending me 'how to' videos showing the monitor running off the on board VGA. I don't get the POST screens he's getting because I don't have a VGA monitor. They seem a bit dense about understanding that I'm running an off board GPU.

BTW, is that Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon? My daughter LOVES Toothless.
    yuukichan
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/04 20:14:43 (permalink)
    Yes it for sure is Hiccup ! He is adorable. Yeah I had some odd support issues with them in the past as I have ran super micro servers in the past. Have you tried another pci express slot ? It may be the fact your not using a UEFI bios and the card is designed for that config. I would not suggest updating the bios on the board as I am sure if you need support they seem dense as you put it to help with it. The GTX680 is old enough to support both bios types fully I would assume as why that card is not having the issue. Sorry I could not help anymore than that on the issue.
    MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No POST or Windows Boot Screen with Titan X and Supermicros X10DRi 2015/09/10 12:30:04 (permalink)
    Yes, I've tried both accessible X16 slots, one for CPU2 the other for CPU1. This was in part of troubleshooting dropped frames in Premiere, but no matter which slot, nothing, not one single thing changed.
    The UEFI BIOS point is new to me, but I think you may have identified the reason.
    When I did this system build, I had no idea that the Titan even HAD a BIOS, let alone UEFI! I chose to use Legacy BIOS config on the motherboard, because I'd read that UEFI adds more overhead and another layer, and there were some issues with Windows 7. I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to change the config as it might damage my Windows boot configuration.
    My daughter loves that scene where Hiccup apologizes to "Baby Boo"--she recites those lines often.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile