Author
theonlyvv
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/05 07:19:01 (permalink)
So I recently bought the GTX 970 FTW

I'm upgrading from an EVGA GTX 760 2GB OC ACX

I unplugged everything, removed the GTX 760, plugged the GTX 970 into the same slot, plugged everything back in, and then booted up.

No matter which input device I use, there was no signal on the monitor. Virtually none. The screen was black and the LED light was blinking, no words on the screen (not even 'No Signal'). The fans on the GPU spin and the computer boots up, but there is nothing on the screen.

I have tried the following things :

- Complete driver wipe
- Use different display inputs
- Use a different monitor
- Flash bios
- Change primary display device in BIOS to 'PCIE'. (Every time I tried to boot up with the GTX 970 it reset itself to auto, but if I booted up with the 760, it stayed on PCIE).
- Reset CMOS
- Tried the power cords sent with the GPU along with the ones I use for the 760

Pretty much everything you could think of. It's not the card because it works in the 4x slot, and it's not the primary 16x slot because the 760 still works perfectly fine in it.

I'm currently running everything with the 970 plugged into the black 4x slot, but my games FPS is nowhere near where it should be. I tried running Battlefield 4 on ultra and I was getting 40-50 FPS.

This is what my MOBO specifications say regarding the PCIe 2.0 slots 
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)

MOBO : ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU : Intel i7 3770 3.4 Ghz
GPU : EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 
RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU : 500W (Can't remember the exact type)

The GTX 760 worked completely fine with the 500W PSU, and the GTX 970 draws even less power than that, so I doubt that's the issue.

19 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 08:19:55 (permalink)
    Motherboard BIOS/GPU vBIOS issue.
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 08:42:58 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Motherboard BIOS/GPU vBIOS issue.

The latest BIOS version for my MOBO is 4105 which was released 2013/07/23, but then again the GTX 970 just recently came out. Is it possible they have to make a new BIOS update in order for it to work in the primary slot? Just weird that it works in the secondary slot (which runs at 4x).

My GPU's BIOS is 84.04.1F.00.75
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 08:49:47 (permalink)
    Yes, it's possible they need to update the motherboard BIOS. EVGA may need to update their vBIOS to be compatible with the board as well.
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 09:17:07 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Yes, it's possible they need to update the motherboard BIOS. EVGA may need to update their vBIOS to be compatible with the board as well.

Appreciate the quick responses. So what can I do? Do I wait until they release an update on their own or would communicating with them directly help?

I'm still not understanding how it works in the secondary slot and not the primary slot, though
    post edited by theonlyvv - 2014/11/05 09:21:20
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 09:30:17 (permalink)
    I would contact both EVGA and ASUS and explain the situation to them and see what they have to say about it. 
    rshwayder
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 09:30:56 (permalink)
    I had a similar issue and something that I did solved it, I just don't know exactly what. Note that if I waited several minutes, my computer would eventually boot up.

- Flashed the bios on the video card (with official bios on the forums here)
    - Made sure my motherboard bios was up to date (Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3)
    - Reset my motherboard's bios settings to default (got rid of overclocks and the like--I actually cleared CMOS with the jumper pins to do this)
    - Used Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of my drivers
    - Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers in safe mode without anti-virus software
    - Made sure everything worked now (it did)
    - Overclocked my CPU and changed bios settings as needed again

Along the way, I also enabled the motherboard's iGPU and gave that boot priority, then hooked up my second monitor to that. That temporarily solved my boot issues and I was able to game on the monitor connected to the 970. However, after I did everything about, I was able to disconnect from the iGPU and only use the 970.
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 09:52:51 (permalink)
    rshwayder
    I had a similar issue and something that I did solved it, I just don't know exactly what. Note that if I waited several minutes, my computer would eventually boot up.

- Flashed the bios on the video card (with official bios on the forums here)
    - Made sure my motherboard bios was up to date (Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3)
    - Reset my motherboard's bios settings to default (got rid of overclocks and the like--I actually cleared CMOS with the jumper pins to do this)
    - Used Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of my drivers
    - Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers in safe mode without anti-virus software
    - Made sure everything worked now (it did)
    - Overclocked my CPU and changed bios settings as needed again

Along the way, I also enabled the motherboard's iGPU and gave that boot priority, then hooked up my second monitor to that. That temporarily solved my boot issues and I was able to game on the monitor connected to the 970. However, after I did everything about, I was able to disconnect from the iGPU and only use the 970.

I've done all of those things besides flashing the vbios, gunna try that now
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/05 10:13:59 (permalink)
    Didnt work.. Guess my last bet is to email both Asus and evga. Thanks for the help
    eox26
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/09 21:46:26 (permalink)
    If you get this solved PLEASE let us know. I have this EXACT issue. In fact I've done nearly everything known to man to get this to work with my gtx 780 since last January. I've purchased new ram, new motherboard, new PSU, everything new except CPU. My gtx780 works flawlessly in the 4x slot but will not work in the primary slot in any of my mobo's. I have the asrock z68 fatal1ty motherboard and also a asus z77 sabertooth mobo. This issue is on both. At first I thought maybe something was wrong with the GPU so I stuck it in my old nvidia 790 sli mobo (I think that's what it was called..I can't exactly think of what it's called off the top of my head) and it works just fine. I also have an old nvidia 550ti that works in ALL of my mobo's primary slot so I know the slots aren't the issue. I've upgraded my PSU to a 1000w so I know there is a enough power. I've never heard of the vbios thing before and I'm interested if this does work and how you do it exactly. Sorry for the long post and good luck! Again, let us know what solves your issue. I am in desperate need to get this frustrating issue resolved!
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/10 13:02:58 (permalink)
    Will do. I have a new motherboard coming in tomorrow I'm going to be testing it with and if that doesn't work I'll be RMAing the card.
    theonlyvv
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2014/11/11 21:22:53 (permalink)
    eox26
    If you get this solved PLEASE let us know. I have this EXACT issue. In fact I've done nearly everything known to man to get this to work with my gtx 780 since last January. I've purchased new ram, new motherboard, new PSU, everything new except CPU. My gtx780 works flawlessly in the 4x slot but will not work in the primary slot in any of my mobo's. I have the asrock z68 fatal1ty motherboard and also a asus z77 sabertooth mobo. This issue is on both. At first I thought maybe something was wrong with the GPU so I stuck it in my old nvidia 790 sli mobo (I think that's what it was called..I can't exactly think of what it's called off the top of my head) and it works just fine. I also have an old nvidia 550ti that works in ALL of my mobo's primary slot so I know the slots aren't the issue. I've upgraded my PSU to a 1000w so I know there is a enough power. I've never heard of the vbios thing before and I'm interested if this does work and how you do it exactly. Sorry for the long post and good luck! Again, let us know what solves your issue. I am in desperate need to get this frustrating issue resolved!

Hey. I actually managed to fix this today when my new motherboard arrived. There are two things that I did that may have fixed my problem and I hope it helps you.
    1.) Installed my new mobo (Asus Z77-A) in place of my old one (Asus P8Z68-V LX)
    2.) Something strange I noticed when installing my GPU was that the connector closest to the display inputs was not fully in the slot. I'm not sure if this was the case with the old motherboard (it probably was) but the top of the display input shell (that metal piece that you use to screw the card in) was stopping the card from being put in any farther. I actually had to damage my case and use force to bend the metal parts of my case that were stopping the card from going all the way down.

After doing both of these things my GTX 970 now works in the primary slot and I'm sooo happy. I hope I help, man. Any questions you have about these things that I did (I'm not that great at explaining) just respond here. Good luck!
    Xuvion
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 08:30:00 (permalink)
    Hello everyone,

TL;DR: make sure you really update your bios and do it with software of the mobo facturer out of windows.

I experienced exactly the same problem as described by the author (and many many other users on the web).
    My System is as follows:
    • MOBO : ASUS P8Z68V Pro
    • CPU : Intel i7 2600k
    • GPU : EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0
    • RAM : 8GB Corsair 
    • PSU : Corsair GS 700 (700W)

I tried everything to get the card working: 
    • updated BIOS
    • reset CMOS
    • changed PCI settings in BIOS
    • put the whole motherboard out of the case to see if the card really fits in the PCIe slot on it
    As nothing of those things got the problem fixed I contacted ASUS and EVGA support.
    ASUS just gave me the advice to reset cmos, update bios etc. all those things I already tried...
    EVGA offered me a RMA for the card. (although the card worked in the system of a friend of mine with older mobo and lower psu...).
    Today the exchanged card arrived and I experienced the problem again.
    Frustrated, I just repeated all those things again and startet with updating the BIOS (although it already was at the newest version of 3603 for my mobo). I thought maybe it'll work and it did!
    I literrally updated my BIOS from Version 3603 to 3603 again and now it works. With the first card I updated BIOS via an usb stick out of the bios but today I let the Asus AlSuite software doing the job for me. It looks like although my BIOS showed the new 3603 version and showed that the update was successful the first time, it was not 100% successful. So if you have this problem too just make sure you really update your bios!

Greetings Xuvion
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 08:34:32 (permalink)
    Xuvion
    Hello everyone,

TL;DR: make sure you really update your bios and do it with software of the mobo facturer out of windows.

I experienced exactly the same problem as described by the author (and many many other users on the web).
    My System is as follows:

• updated BIOS
    • reset CMOS
    • put the whole motherboard out of the case to see if the card really fits in the PCIe slot on it
    As nothing of those things got the problem fixed I contacted ASUS and EVGA support.
    ASUS just gave me the advice to reset cmos, update bios etc. all those things I already tried...
    EVGA offered me a RMA for the card. (although the card worked in the system of a friend of mine with older mobo and lower psu...).
    Frustrated, I just repeated all those things again and startet with updating the BIOS (although it already was at the newest version of 3603 for my mobo). I thought maybe it'll work and it did!
    I literrally updated my BIOS from Version 3603 to 3603 again and now it works. With the first card I updated BIOS via an usb stick out of the bios but today I let the Asus AlSuite software doing the job for me. It looks like although my BIOS showed the new 3603 version and showed that the update was successful the first time, it was not 100% successful. So if you have this problem too just make sure you really update your bios!

Greetings Xuvion

That is a very unique problem but you persevered and found the issue. Kudos to you! Obviously there was something wrong in the BIOs or a faulty setting which was resolved when you flashed the BIOs again. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 09:17:45 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Xuvion
    Hello everyone,

My System is as follows:

• updated BIOS
    • reset CMOS

Greetings Xuvion

That is a very unique problem but you persevered and found the issue. Kudos to you! Obviously there was something wrong in the BIOs or a faulty setting which was resolved when you flashed the BIOs again. 

+1 I too think this is great troubleshooting on OP's part.
    To many users just blame EVGA that is their fault and they need update their Bios to fix other manufactures hardware problems.
    When it comes to other manufactures hardware (Motherboards) and new video cards that come out from NVIDIA or AMD they should be the ones that create the Base GPU Bios to support the motherboards of all the manufactures out their.
    Each Manufacture is the end fault if new hardware will not work on their old hardware, all they need to do is man up and tell their users that I am sorry but that new Video Card is not supported in your 8 year old motherboard that went end of life two years ago.
    Or correct their Bios and provide to that user even if it is only one user or provide a upgrade path for the user a low cost.
    All the manufactures know their is a new GPU coming out and I think that they do this; One to make other venders look bad and Two make users buy their new motherboards. In a since that is.
    Anyway Big Kudos for Xuvion 
    And users should take note about updating their Motherboards Bios within the OS. I learned this many years ago not to.
    Sadly Dell provides Bios updates only through the OS.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/05/07 09:23:58

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Xuvion
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 10:10:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys :D
    Nevertheless it's not 100% working correctly. I got the problem back again and updated BIOS again but this time it didn't worked. After many many restarts of the computer and setting bios back to default at some restart the card was back recognized :D
    I really do not know for sure what the problem is all about but I guess it is the .*#"/"&"§ mainboard :/
    Now the card is running, let us see how long it will work.
    _zeus2_
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 11:46:39 (permalink)
    Hi,

I got the same mainboard (Asus p8z68 v pro gen 3) with an i7 2700k and I got 2 of the old gtx 970 sc acx 2.0 in sli. Both run perfectly and I never had to do a bios update or anything. 
    Xuvion
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 12:23:44 (permalink)
    _zeus2_

I got the same mainboard (Asus p8z68 v pro gen 3) [...]

I only have an Asus P8Z68V Pro not the "newer" gen 3. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    _zeus2_
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2015/05/07 13:34:01 (permalink)
    ok. I looked at the asus homepage and my  ai suit is saying that I got the bios version 0402 which got released at 28.11.2011. The Version 3603 got released for both mainboards ( the gen3 and non gen3 ) 364 days later. I think your biosversion isn´t the problem because i didn´t got anyone with the stone age version :D
    Mandoscottie
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: New GTX 970 FTW Works in 4x Slot but not 16x Slot 2016/01/29 10:27:35 (permalink)
    Ive had the same issue with a evga 970 gtx ssc and p8z68-vpro

Replaced a 660ti ssc evga with 970 with same post error. Vga led lit and no vga error code after post beep.

Cleared cmos no joy it would post once then back to no vga post error so cleared cmos again to get into windows.

Enabled igpu n fitted 2nd mon... No joy

I left igpu enabled but not connected. That got past no vga post.

Flashed mobo bios in windows to same version as before via ai suite rebooted.

Went into bios and set everything up again.
    Rebooted

Left 660s nvidia driver n precisionx installed now 970 works fine.

Its the reflashing of the mobo bios that fixes it! Go figure!! Flashed 3603 with 3603

To get to windows enable igpu intel and leave it enabled card should take over, wierd thing is w10 doesnt see the intel igpu even thou enabled in bios with card in :)

My i7 26k back up to 4.6ghz n ram set at xmp mode again.

10 cold boots success and 10 reboots success.

Its the reinitialisation of the bios that sorts it, suspect bios must read pcie power req n spots the 9 series needs more and adjusts i suspect.

Its an urban myth from the 90s that you shouldnt update bioses in windows (utter claptrap) ;) i update firmwares of blade servers in windows without any issues in my line of work.
    post edited by Mandoscottie - 2016/01/29 10:41:42
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile