New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015

Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2014/08/07 05:25:58 (permalink)
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140731/NEWS07/307310083/UPDATE-New-images-show-details-new-Army-camo

As you can see from this photo, the pattern is in the MultiCam family but really more of an ancestor. Scorpion was developed by Crye Precision under contract for the Army’s Objective Force Warrior Program starting in the early 00s. As the Army transitioned the program it dropped the Scorpion pattern and Crye independently refined the pattern and began to slowly market it as MultiCam. Specialized military units saw promise in the pattern and began to use it. Simultaneously, it was picked up by the tactical industry and offered commercially making it easier for small unit adoption. This increased use of MultiCam by military forces is a truly successful case of grassroots marketing and by the late-00s it was being worn by both American as well as Allied SOF. Over the past two years it has been selected for use by the US Army and Air Force for use in Afghanistan as well as by the UK and Australian military in national variant forms.

Now some of you may think that the Scorpion Camo is the same as the Multicamo, No and Yes. It took me a while to see the differences but once I figured it (like solving a puzzle) then I could see the differences immediately. First, Multicam uses at least twice as many slugs (Light Beige and Dark Brown smaller Macro elements). Second, Crye applied another mostly Vertical Layer representing branches throughout the new pattern.

Multicam Pattern                                                                         Multicam Pattern with vertical elements circled                  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Scorpion Pattern - same (similar) colors - no vertical elements

Scorpion Pattern                                                                                                                                                                            Multicam Jacket
                                                                                                                                                  Note the extra light beige and dark brown slugs and vertical elements when compared to Scorpion on the left

In 2008-2009 study when the U.S. Army (Natick) brought out two versions of the Scorpion pattern (Woodland Scorpion and Desert Scorpion) for testing against 15 other patterns including Multicam. Woodland Scorpion did not fair poorly but was not a standout in any of the environments.

Ironically when they changed the torso area representing  PPE (Personal Protective Equipment - vests) to Multicam, the Woodland Scorpion pattern did better in all four environments, with a slightly better overall score than Universal-AOR.

The Desert Scorpion did not fair well at all and did not even crack the top 10 in Desert Environments

So here below, we have a comparison of Woodland and Desert Scorpion versus Multicam and we can see the having the correct color and PPE can make a substantial difference. Note: None of the Scorpion or Multicam patterns broke the top 10 for either the Woodland Environment or the Desert Environment, which is disappointing given specific coloration with the Scorpion Patterns into those two environments.

Why did the Army decide to go with Scorpion W2 Camo? It preformed well enough overall to garner two of the top 10 spots in this test - one with matching PPE and one with Multicam PPE, outperforming both the Multibrush and Desert Brush pattern in overall effectiveness which was their (Army owned patterns) top contender in previous Natick testing. Initially the Government was looking to put two of it's own families in the finals against three industry submissions but the Army decided after the initial 2011 Phase IV testing to only put one family forward. Now to expect it was the All-Over-Brush pattern (also known as Multibrush and a Desert coloration Version known as Desert Brush), as Natick testing showed Desert Brush was beat Desert MARPAT in Desert Environments in their first test and then was beat by AOR-1 in the second test, so as good as it was, it was not good enough. Multibrush tied with AOR-2 in Mountain Environments in 4th place being beaten by Multicam, Universal-AOR and Woodland Scorpion. If the early Phase IV testing confirmed these results then the Brush pattern did not meet the baseline requirements to move forward. Thus one of the industry families made it into the finals due to the Army pulling one submission out at that time. 

post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2014/08/07 05:30:19

13 Replies Related Threads

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/07 06:49:22 (permalink)
    There are so many patterns now among the diffrent branches that its getting kind of stupid.  Especially with how much money actually goes into developing these things.... Worst of all I still don't understand the Navy's choice of Blue Digital... So its easier to lose you in water if you fall overboard?
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/07 07:35:16 (permalink)
    nikkocortez
    There are so many patterns now among the diffrent branches that its getting kind of stupid.  Especially with how much money actually goes into developing these things.... Worst of all I still don't understand the Navy's choice of Blue Digital... So its easier to lose you in water if you fall overboard?

HA ya thats true. Its just like China's sea fleet uniform.

But anyways I have to say by far this multi-camo was always my favorite uniform camo pattern. It seems like every 7-10 years the Army changes its uniform patterns. Look at the two different desert camos. The first is from Desert Storm War and the second is from Iraq Freedom war.

post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2014/08/07 07:56:32

rblaes_99
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1951
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/11 15:04:55 (permalink)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-approves-measure-to-have-military-branches-share-one-camouflage-pattern/2013/06/14/017700f6-d4ff-11e2-bc43-c404c3269c73_story.html

This is pretty much a done deal with each branch trying to do its own thing despite a bill "eventually" requiring a single combat camo for all branches.

as a side note:  Navy uniforms are excessive in number and ridiculous in style.

srtie4k
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1589
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/11 16:10:08 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

That was either phased out early on or just disused. Every Army guy I interacted with in OIF was wearing their new digital light greenish pattern, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Combat_Uniform

Gaming Rig:
    Corsair Vegeance C70, Swiftech H220, Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz (1.24V), Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX860, 16GB Corsair Vegeance DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Dell 2408WFP, Corsair K70 Cherry Red, Corsair M65, Logitech Z-5500 5.1
    Steambox/HTPC:
    Lian Li PC-Q01A, AMD A10-7800, ASRock FM2A88X-ITX, Seasonic ST30SF, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB MSATA SSD

Affiliate Code: KKDMX98FNV
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/13 01:13:18 (permalink)
    As a Navy Seabee we get the lot of all the different uniforms.  So not only Did I have the old "dungarees" and the working whites and working blues issued at boot that are all now phased out I have the newer working uniform with the kaki shirt and black slacks along with the replacement of the dungarees with the blue digital uniform.  And of course I have my dress Blues and Dress Whites.  None of these uniforms I use but maybe once a year if that but I still have to maintain them.  When I finished A-School I was issued the original BDUs(The older woodland camo) and we were the last branch to change over to digital woodlands(of which the Navy has their own which resembles  lighter MARPAT Woodlands).  I also used the desert pattern above when I was deployed to Djibouti and Afghanistan and now there is a Navy Digital Desert uniform.  It's kind of stupid how many I have collected over the 8 years I have been in.
    post edited by nikkocortez - 2014/08/13 01:19:49
    rblaes_99
    FTW Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/13 05:22:20 (permalink)
    Nikko,

Lucky for you... you didn't wear the "old dungarees".....  You probably wore the "Dickie" style slacks aka utility uniform that replaced the denim bell bottom dungarees that I wore in the 90s when I came in.  Dumbest uniform ever!  The rank and name was stenciled in ink.... and the old salts that were busted down would strike a line in ink across the rank they lost.  Looked terrible.

I also elected USMC regs so added additional uniforms to my seabag and was up to 14 separate uniforms at one point.  Making rank cost a fortune!

peteo_85
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/13 06:32:30 (permalink)
    OCP's is what we call them in the Air Force. Its the standard uniform for desert deployments (mainly Afghanistan). Its cool to see the Army sticking with this color camo. Those were soo comfortable! The Airforce ABU's are sooooo constricting compared to the Army OCP's. It was like wearing pajamas 24/7!

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4.0GHz LGA 1150   
    EVGA Z170 Stinger
    Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 Arctic Storm 
    CORSAIR SFF 600W PSU
    LearjetMinako
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1246
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/13 13:25:51 (permalink)
    There goes another $200+ per uniform outfit from our soldiers.  So many uniform changes, hard to keep track anymore.

Crystal: Intel i7 930 3.6GHz(OC) / EVGA X58 758 / 3x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti FTW+ / 2x GTX 560Ti SLI
    Quartz (mothball): Intel i7 2600k 3.8GHz / EVGA Z77 Stinger mITX / 2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti SC
    Mercury: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz(OC) / ASRock Z68 mITX / 1x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / 2x GTX 1660 Super
    Cobalt: Intel i7 4710HQ 2.5Ghz / ASUS GL551JM-DH71 / 2 x 8GB / GTX 860m - Gaming/Physics/Astronomy Laptop
    "Honesty" - Means telling the truth to your girlfriend comes at a price.
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/13 23:46:43 (permalink)
    O ya about the Navy uniforms, I just asked a friend of mine thats in the Navy and he said that the Navy blues turn orange once you go over board. They only turn orange if salt water hits it so regular washing is still fine.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/14 03:32:01 (permalink)
    I'm in the Civil Air Patrol and we're still rocking the old woodlands camo BDUs. We don't even wear the USAF ABU. Uniform regs were updated in June, but no updated field uniforms.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/08/14 03:35:13
    rblaes_99
    FTW Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/14 10:53:44 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    O ya about the Navy uniforms, I just asked a friend of mine thats in the Navy and he said that the Navy blues turn orange once you go over board. They only turn orange if salt water hits it so regular washing is still fine.

HAZMAN  he was joking with you right????  I mean it would make more sense but this is an old urban legend and no such saltwater-only reactive fabric exists...  besides you get exposed to saltwater on a ship even if you don't go overboard.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/17 08:30:57 (permalink)
    rblaes_99
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

HAZMAN  he was joking with you right????  I mean it would make more sense but this is an old urban legend and no such saltwater-only reactive fabric exists...  besides you get exposed to saltwater on a ship even if you don't go overboard.

Nah he was did serious with me brotha. He also said you cant starch the uniforms too. My friend recently just got done with basic and AIT about 8 or 9 months ago and he said that the Navy blues have been updated ever since about a year and a half to 2 years ago to turn orange. He said its not like an orange orange like you would think. Its just gives the man over board a better way to be found. Anyways I would think if your on deck that its required to wear a orange life jacket vest for safety measures.

rblaes_99
    FTW Member
    Re: New Army Scorpion W2 Camo set to be issued in summer 2015 2014/08/18 10:39:18 (permalink)
    these are sailors that actually wear the NWU uniform and are spouting this "orange in salt water" garbage????  unreal.....  Time for me to retire.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile