Network question

Author
Gratuitous
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2015/01/29 23:34:07 (permalink)
I have a scenario I need a little help with. We have a home network here with 3 separate ssid wireless ap, and 2 dumb switches. where the trouble comes in is also we have a renter in the back house that has plugged an additional wireless router into the Ethernet connection running to his unit. I configured it on a different subnet for him and everything seemed to work although pretty messy.

Recently I have started to have connection issues with dropping dns on the main router. So I just bought a new netgear FVS318g. this thing was pretty cheep and it has a separate DMZ that can run on its own subnet separated from the lan. it doesn't have great reviews, but it was very cheep. Now here is the question that I have been googling all day for. I would like to keep the standard 192.168.0.1 address for the new router and then use something like 192.168.10.1 for the DMZ to the renter. Now can I keep the dhcp server running with a range of 192.168.0.20-192.168.0.100 on the main lan and then set the dmz dhcp to 192.168.10.2-192.168.10.6. The renters router should then get assigned a wan address within that range. Will I need to care at all if his dhcp then assigns something on the 192.168.0.1 subnet on his router? I basically want to tell him to just set his wan to auto receive an address and not care about setting anything up past default for him. Reason why is we get more turn around than I would like in renters and I get tired of having to reboot constantly when the renter screws his router up.

of course I have put some service rules into the dmz so he cant suck all the bandwidth. I suppose I might need to just change the main lan to a subnet way outside of consumer default subnets, but I sort of didn't want too because of the 50 things I have dhcp reservations assigned.

thanks for the help guys.

“I built a castle in the swamp and it sunk. I built a second castle and it sunk too. I built a third castle and it burned down and then sunk. But the fourth castle, Ahhhh! That one stood.”
—Monty Python and the Holy Grail

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile