EVGA

NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning)

Author
Angrychair420
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 735
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2013/03/25 22:34:28 (permalink)
Guys I have been going nuts since I got home trying to locate the burning smell.  I checked every outlet in every room, every cable plugged in, took the side panels off my PC, 30 minutes later I give up, sit down and smell my monitor, that has been turned on and working perfectly fine AFAIK, and bam, its coming from the top vents of my Samsung 26" LCD, its an old syncmaster T260HD.  But SOB I just spent all my play money on a 1920 Buescher True Tone alto sax, and can't afford to buy a new monitor right now!! RAAAAAAGE.  I'm going to have to, cringe, use a 21" 1680x1050.........................  ick..

10 Replies Related Threads

Harvey Montana
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 222
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/25 23:14:30 (permalink)
    OMG! I have the exact same monitor! (No burning yet though)
    Mine is roughly 3 years old now,..paid 300 bucks for it back then.
    How long does it have to live?
    And recently I have noticed some price drops in the LCD/HDTV/Monitor video panels at Walmart. A nice 1080P in the 32 inch range can be had for around the $300 I paid for this unit.
    Maybe time to upgrade?

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow case ~ Seasonic X 1250 PSU  Intel i5 4670k OC to  with a Corsair H100i cooler with 2 Arctic Cooling fans and 2 Corsairs in push/pull
    2 EVGA GTX 550Ti Video cards in SLI with 2 Gb memory on each
    1 Kingston V Series SSD 128 GB for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    1 Kingston SSD 64 Gb for games  1 Kingston SSD 64 Gb for storage
    1 Western Digital 160 Gb HDD for storage
        16 GBs of G.Skill memory DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5 v
    LG Bluray RW  optical drive
    Samsung 25.5 inch HDTV/monitor
    ~ Backup System  ~
    NZXT Phantom 410 ~ Gigabyte Z77X- UD5H
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 08:07:01 (permalink)
     That's horrible!  I have the same monitor, had it since 2008 or early 2009, mine is still going strong, thankfully.  Turn it off, make sure it is cool and look in the vents with a flashlight, hopefully it is something minor, dust getting hot, or as I saw once at an old job (monitor was at a facility that was mainly open to the outside) a spider web was smoking in it.  Let it cool, and blew the heck out of it with a can of compressed air and it worked like a charm afterwards.  Not saying it IS that simple, but can't hurt to look.

@Harvey, if you have a budget like that, I would say save a little more and grab one of the newer IPS panels, like a Catleap or a Crossover and get higher res and much better picture quality.
    Frankly, the T260's were the best non IPS from back in the day, and compared to other TN's they are still really good IMHO, if it works, Id say just sit on it and save for a NICE upgrade.
    Nic-CM
    Cooler Master USA
    • Total Posts : 701
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 09:47:35 (permalink)
    nookie420

Guys I have been going nuts since I got home trying to locate the burning smell.  I checked every outlet in every room, every cable plugged in, took the side panels off my PC, 30 minutes later I give up, sit down and smell my monitor, that has been turned on and working perfectly fine AFAIK, and bam, its coming from the top vents of my Samsung 26" LCD, its an old syncmaster T260HD.  But SOB I just spent all my play money on a 1920 Buescher True Tone alto sax, and can't afford to buy a new monitor right now!! RAAAAAAGE.  I'm going to have to, cringe, use a 21" 1680x1050.........................  ick..

We could hold a ceremony. Nothing fancy. Just a few friends. You can speak a few words about your fallen friend.

I unfortunately feel your pain, but my TV(monitor) has been on its way out for awhile now. I'm just waiting for the day when the random graphical glitches spread and become permanent. Right now, it just glitches at random intervals like a nervous twitch.

Nic  Cooler Master USA CM BlogCM ForumsCMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? - CM FAQ, Live Support   
    Updating my rig image!

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 10:55:42 (permalink)
    I think many of us have felt your pain in very similar situations. If you can't afford a new monitor look for used ones but that of course carries risks.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 11:25:29 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear this... I too have this monitor from about 2008-09 and the 24" version as well.

I have had this happen once or twice. One time it was some electronic part that had taken it's last power surge and the protector was fried. It eventually went "Pop" Poof" "Click "Yellow/tan smoke" dead...

The second one I took apart.. Some insect (Spider or moth not sure which) made a nest on one of the cooling fins... The heat was basically baking the nest...

Not to mention... All those vents on a monitor... They are not exactly dust blockers. It is shocking how much dust, hair (Animal(s) and human(s)) get inside these suckers...

Angrychair420
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 13:00:01 (permalink)
    ahaha thanks for the laughs guys.  I have had this one for about 4-5 years.  I remember paying $525 for it at best buy because I was impatient and didn't want to order one online andhave to worry about dead pixels.  I wish I could think it is bugs/spider web stuff but it really smells like smoked wires burning plastic.

I'm using my syncmaster 205bw right now, ugh, one should have to go from 20 to 26 and back to 20 inch displays.  oh the humanity.  

I will blow it out and plug it back in see what happens.  

Nic-CM
    Cooler Master USA
    • Total Posts : 701
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/26 15:09:03 (permalink)
    I'd imagine that it's outside of the warranty period. This is purely based on your comfort level, but perhaps you could open it up and dust it out. It'd be worth a try to give it that last cleaning before you send it off to the great e-cycling plant in the sky.

Nic  Cooler Master USA CM BlogCM ForumsCMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? - CM FAQ, Live Support   
    Updating my rig image!

gankernation
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 227
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/27 00:10:54 (permalink)
    sorry to hear about your monitor dude. But why not just simply create a custom resolution on your Samsung 205bw. you can make it 1920x1200 60hz with no problems. I have that currently on my setup. Works perfectly!

EVGA Z68 SLI
    Intel 2500K
    Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mhz cas 10
    EVGA GTX 570 
    NZXT 1kw Gold
    Creative X-fi Titanium
    WD black 640gb Raid 0
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    OCZ Agility 2 90gb 3.5 SSD
    Mitsubishi 60C9 DLP 3D Vision
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/27 09:20:45 (permalink)
    You might consider taking the monitor apart and checking the power board... probably is just a bad cap somewhere about to blow out. If you can verify it's just the power board then it's a simple matter to buy another and swap it out, then the monitor is good as new again.

eBay is apparently full of them... random one I found for $60. There's also some guy selling parts kits to repair the board yourself for $16.  

I have a Dell 2407-WFP circa 2006.... was around $550 at the time. Power board finally blew out on it spectacularly, the main capacitor started to leak, then once it failed all the voltage ICs blew out in sequence. Got the power board fixed since it was so old I couldn't find power boards anymore, but unless you're an electrician its best to just replace the power board whole. Just connect a couple cables and screws and the monitor should be good to go another 3+ years. But if you are going to do this, I'd suggest doing it before the power board blows and possibly damages the main monitor board, just to be on the safe side. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Randolla
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1873
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:NOOO my monitor is dying (smells like burning) 2013/03/27 10:27:54 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

That's horrible!  I have the same monitor, had it since 2008 or early 2009, mine is still going strong, thankfully.  Turn it off, make sure it is cool and look in the vents with a flashlight, hopefully it is something minor, dust getting hot, or as I saw once at an old job (monitor was at a facility that was mainly open to the outside) a spider web was smoking in it.  Let it cool, and blew the heck out of it with a can of compressed air and it worked like a charm afterwards.  Not saying it IS that simple, but can't hurt to look.

@Harvey, if you have a budget like that, I would say save a little more and grab one of the newer IPS panels, like a Catleap or a Crossover and get higher res and much better picture quality.
    Frankly, the T260's were the best non IPS from back in the day, and compared to other TN's they are still really good IMHO, if it works, Id say just sit on it and save for a NICE upgrade.

Try a Overlord Tempest either an overclockable one or just a 60Hz model.  They art very reasonably priced and look great.

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
    NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
    32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
    EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
    Acer Predator X34 Monitor
    Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile