Author
Piers123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/28 21:10:52 (permalink)
Hello all,

For the last ten years I've always purchased MSI cards. Before that I went with whatever the cheapest manufacturer was. I was happy with the build quality and service from MSI until something went wrong - that's when I realised that MSI produces overpriced tat with absolutely no concept of customer support.

I decided to get rid of my two 970 cards and look around. I called EVGA technical support to get a 'feel' for the type of service offered, and to ask about the procedure for faulty cards or if there was an issue. I was so impressed that I ordered my GTX 1080 FTW the same day. Due to delays it took over a month to arrive, but it appears to be an excellent card.

However, the one strong point MSI has is its Afterburner software. It's excellent and works all with card brands. In order to shorten the length of this post, I'll list what I like about AB and miss with PXOC:

MSI Afterburner (4.3.0 b4)
  • Clear interface and low CPU use.
  • Good overclocking capabilities
  • Fan control curves
  • Excellent OSD using Riva
  • Stable
  • The ability to have my CPU temp in the tray
Precision XOC (latest available)
  • Confusing interface and low CPU use.
  • Good overclocking capabilities
  • Fan control curves
  • Does this offer an OSD?
  • Not very stable
  • No apparent ability to have my CPU temp in the tray
  • Bonus: Looks horrible with native 2160 resolution @32"
Do any of you have ideas for the parts in red? The two important ones are OSD (FPS, CPU/GPU %) and tray icon.

PC specifications in signature.

Thank you.

CPU: AMD R9 5900X
Cooling: 360mm Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT AIO
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-E
RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz CL18
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Hybrid 10GB w/ 240mm radiator 
SSD/HDD: 1 * 1TB WD Blue M.2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe | 2 * 1TB WD Blue SATA | 2 * 8TB Toshiba N300 HDD SATA 
NAS: 280TB on a 4U server

4 Replies Related Threads

hasler74
    • Total Posts : 63
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My first EVGA experience, and a question about Precision XOC 2016/07/28 21:47:59 (permalink)
    osd settings are on the top left. provided you got the xoc version for pascal cards. I currently have gpu temp, cpu temp, usage, clock speed, and ram speed in my keyboard tray
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: My first EVGA experience, and a question about Precision XOC 2016/07/28 22:28:20 (permalink)
    the OSD support is a bit iffy, a number of games out there don't seem to get an OSD with it for whatever reason, and is the main drawback for me. keep trying different games and programs, and you'll see the OSD work, provided it turned on.

the look of the UI is a lot different a know, and complex compared to the fairly straightforward afterburner UI. It does take awhile to get used to.

I really want to use EVGA's software for this, but the limited OSD support for me makes me want to use MSI afterburner, and I know there are a good number of EVGA fans that use afterburner as it's well... better. that said precision X OC does offer a few more things than afterburner, but doesn't have the good stuff from rivaturner like afterburner does ( a very old version of precision used rivatuner once, but that's a long story)
    VooDooPC
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: My first EVGA experience, and a question about Precision XOC 2016/07/28 23:56:23 (permalink)
    I used to exclusively use Precision, but I switched to Afterburner after trying the new Precision X OC and having a lot of issues with it.
    Piers123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re: My first EVGA experience, and a question about Precision XOC 2016/07/29 00:50:23 (permalink)
    So is the general consensus to use Afterburner, at least until EVGA creates a decent competing version of Precision XOC? I'm using Afterburner now, but appear to be able to achieve a more stable overclock with P XOC.

CPU: AMD R9 5900X
    Cooling: 360mm Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT AIO
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-E
    RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz CL18
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Hybrid 10GB w/ 240mm radiator 
    SSD/HDD: 1 * 1TB WD Blue M.2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe | 2 * 1TB WD Blue SATA | 2 * 8TB Toshiba N300 HDD SATA 
    NAS: 280TB on a 4U server
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile