EVGA

My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Temps

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mr_Armageddon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2016/06/11 01:25:55 (permalink)
I was tired of waiting for more official news on the Hydro Coppers, so went ahead and grabbed an EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, and EK Waterblock / Backplate. 
Install was easy and the temps are unreal.  But before I get to the numbers, I wanted to get some forum feedback on a simple mod to the waterblock I am thinking about.

Here is the block installed, and a sample of the fluid I will be using.  Looks great, but since I am mounting this vertically in my Core P5 (build log here), if I insert LEDs they are a bit glaring in the dark.

So my idea was to basically "blackout" the acrlyic so that only the fluid parts show.  Now the LED only glows around the edges, which is what I prefer.

Does anyone think this just looks terrible, or should I keep it this way?

On to Overclocking, Benchmarks, and Temps.  One thing I noticed off the bat that was kind of unexpected, is that this particular card will Boost to 2000MHz on stock settings.  Not complaining, but didn't know it was set by default to go that high.  As far as overclocking goes, the highest I could go and still get 100% stability was a max core clock of 2126MHz, and Memory at 5500MHz.  I haven't messed with voltage at all, so maybe there will be some more wiggle room if I do that.  Here is a benchmark running Haven Valley. 

I also ran a few rounds of "Shadows of Mordor" and averaged around 126fps on Ultra settings, and then did a few runs on 3DMark to continue to test stability.  Note that my CPU is not overclocked much right now, as I am just trying to feel out the stability of the GPU at the moment, not go for max score with the the entire system OC'd to the limits.
  • Fire Strike Extreme:  9958
  • Fire Strike Ultra:  5404
 Here is the great news about this card and block combo... my temps after almost 2 hours of overclocked stress testing never went past 45c!  Loving the setup so far, but have to yank the card from my current system soon as it is going in the new build I am working on.  It will stay in my current system for maybe 1 more day, so if you have any questions, post them here. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attached Image(s)

Project Open Core: Liquid P5, Hardline Tubing, Illuminated System Panel

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority."

41 Replies Related Threads

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1788
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 06:09:51 (permalink)
    Very nice.  I'm not a huge LED person myself only because I find it distracting.  That looks very good, though, with beautiful temps and a nice OC.  The only opinion that truly matters in this is yours.

Seeing things like this make me want to start to put my rig under water again.

Look forward to more pictures as you get your new rig put together.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
    jeppouza
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 227
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 06:55:13 (permalink)
    Just the review I needed!
    Tks for sharing, man, things are so nice and cool in water.

Cheers
    dedox
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 07:20:01 (permalink)
    Question. Does default backplate that comes with evga sc card fit with the EK waterblock?
    Also i don't really like your covered block and i think those LEDs remove blue color from your liquid way too much.
    Imho if you'd place LEDs somewhere in the distance, so they slightly illuminate your card would produce better results.

HenryGR
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 463
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 07:24:43 (permalink)
    It looks amazing! However, I'm waiting for NCIX to have in stock the full metal block because there is no way Im placing and acrylic block inside my computer.

LG Flatron W3000H
    I7 960 4.07 
    EVGA X58
    GTX 1080
    Antec  HCP 1300w Patinum
     1 SSD OCZ Agility 3 240
     1 Segate 1 tb
     1 Segate 3 tb
     12 gb  Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
     Cooler Master HAF-X
     Windows 10 Pro-64
    TigerFire13
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 08:20:39 (permalink)
    I LOVE the blacked out look with the fluid path showing... Wanting to start my first custom loop and can't decide on acrylic or black acetal blocks.  I want the best of both lol. Is that some kind of carbon fiber patterned decal sheet cut to size? I am kind of with dedox as far as the picture making it look like the leds are too bright and taking away from the water. Photo illusion perhaps? 
    Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 09:26:12 (permalink)
    dedox
    Question. Does default backplate that comes with evga sc card fit with the EK waterblock?
    Also i don't really like your covered block and i think those LEDs remove blue color from your liquid way too much.
    Imho if you'd place LEDs somewhere in the distance, so they slightly illuminate your card would produce better results.

No, the EVGA backplate that ships with the SC does not work with the EK waterblock.

The pictures look a lot more washed out than it does in real life.  That being said, I have some blue 3mm LEDs arriving today, that I will most likely be using instead to keep with the blue theme my new build has going on.  I may also use stronger resistors to dim the light a bit.

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority."
    Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 09:31:32 (permalink)
    TigerFire13
    I LOVE the blacked out look with the fluid path showing... Wanting to start my first custom loop and can't decide on acrylic or black acetal blocks.  I want the best of both lol. Is that some kind of carbon fiber patterned decal sheet cut to size? I am kind of with dedox as far as the picture making it look like the leds are too bright and taking away from the water. Photo illusion perhaps?

Its just Carbon Fibre vinyl that I cut to fit. There are some blocks announced recently that already have this look, but actual release dates and availability were up in the air, so tried it myself.

This one in particular looks really good with the combo of visible fluid but everything else black.  Have never heard of the company though, and can't find anywhere to buy.
    http://www.phanteks.com/PH-GB1080.html

EK should look into doing something with this combo look.  I would buy!

gutcheck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3665
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 19:32:02 (permalink)
    Wow.  2000 at stock settings?  Awesome.  I was at Fry's today and a SC was sitting there.... so I grabbed it.  I guess I'll get a block!

3900X 4.5 GHZ on an Asus Hero
    32 GB 3600 MHZ Corsair RGB Pro DDR4 RAM
    1 EVGA 3090 XC3 soon to be Watercooled
    2 2GB Corsair MP600's
    HX1000 with custom sleaving
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 19:40:22 (permalink)
    Your Valley score seems a bit low. I say that because an OCed 1080 like yours should be 5 to 15% faster than my OCed 980 Ti.

Is your video memory ECC kicking in and lowering scores? (which would happen if pushed too hard)

For comparison: 

5820K @4.5GHz, 3200MHz quad channel RAM, 980 Ti @1454MHz, Windows 10 Pro x64, Nvidia driver version 365.19

EDIT: I suppose the IPC increase from an i7 970 to an i7 5820K could account for the variance seen here - I didn't notice what CPU you were running right off the bat.
    EDIT 2: Regardless, it looks very nice! And I'll bet it is nice and quiet too 
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/06/11 20:59:17
    Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 23:03:26 (permalink)
    gutcheck
    Wow.  2000 at stock settings?  Awesome.  I was at Fry's today and a SC was sitting there.... so I grabbed it.  I guess I'll get a block!

Do it!

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/11 23:04:50 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Your Valley score seems a bit low. I say that because an OCed 1080 like yours should be 5 to 15% faster than my OCed 980 Ti.

Is your video memory ECC kicking in and lowering scores? (which would happen if pushed too hard)

For comparison: 

5820K @4.5GHz, 3200MHz quad channel RAM, 980 Ti @1454MHz, Windows 10 Pro x64, Nvidia driver version 365.19

EDIT: I suppose the IPC increase from an i7 970 to an i7 5820K could account for the variance seen here - I didn't notice what CPU you were running right off the bat.
    EDIT 2: Regardless, it looks very nice! And I'll bet it is nice and quiet too 

Yep, the CPU is a i7-970 and currently only clocked to 4GHz.  I have a i7-6700k for the new build just waiting to have this card join it!

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/12 22:37:31 (permalink)
    Decided after getting some good feedback to modify the blackout and add RBG LED strips instead of the 2 x 3mm LEDs to give a more even light across the acrylic, instead of just 2 bright spots.

Even without adding the carbon fiber vinyl, this is looking pretty sweet.

I personally think it looks even better this way, and the glow around the edge matches what I am trying to achieve with my case in this build.  Now that I have RGB LEDs Installed, I can also tweak things to make sure I have a uniform color throughout the entire build (which I have not done yet).

Antykain
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/12 22:53:52 (permalink)
    That looks pretty sick with the CF vinyl on it.  Really like that personally.  

Ugh.. can't wait to be able to get my 1080 ordered.  Just waiting for that availability to open up on them.  It's killing me!  lol.. Then I'll be getting a w/c block soon afterwards.  

Rig Specs:   ASUS Maximus XI Hero Z390 | Intel i9-9900k 5.1GHz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3600MHz | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | EK Custom Watercooling Loop | 2x Viewsonic Elite XG270QG 27" 1440p

marty-mcfly
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 04:56:39 (permalink)
    This is the first time i have come across water cooled cards being so close to air cooled in OC performance. 
    dvelope
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 05:13:54 (permalink)
    i will have a ACX 3.0 ''non-SC'' card shipped to me next month can you please link me the water block you bought and or instructions on how to install so i dont waste my cash on a block that doesnt work on my card ends in number 6181
    samuraijack1111
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 08:03:08 (permalink)
    I Love carbon wrapping things ;) looks great. my FE'S oc the same as yours.
    post edited by samuraijack1111 - 2016/06/14 08:07:05

Attached Image(s)

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 08:55:04 (permalink)
    marty-mcfly
    This is the first time i have come across water cooled cards being so close to air cooled in OC performance. 

Ya, its looking like there are other limiting factors on these cards besides just temps that are keeping the OCs within a very specific range.

Performance is still great so not really going to complain, but I was hoping to hit a stable 2.2GHz.  Being that I have yet to pass 45C even when overclocking, I would hope there is a bit more performance I can squeeze out of this thing. I haven't played with upping the voltage at all, but will give that a shot once my system is fully up and running.

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 08:57:56 (permalink)
    dvelope
    i will have a ACX 3.0 ''non-SC'' card shipped to me next month can you please link me the water block you bought and or instructions on how to install so i dont waste my cash on a block that doesnt work on my card ends in number 6181

Your card is compatible with this line of EK blocks:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/vga-blocks/full-cover-for-nvidia-geforce/geforce-gtx-10x0-series

Install instructions can be found on each of the block's product page, and there are plenty of YouTube videos to help there as well.

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 09:01:21 (permalink)
    Antykain
    That looks pretty sick with the CF vinyl on it.  Really like that personally.  

Ugh.. can't wait to be able to get my 1080 ordered.  Just waiting for that availability to open up on them.  It's killing me!  lol.. Then I'll be getting a w/c block soon afterwards.  

Ya its really hit or miss right now.  I was lucky and got one early on Newegg as soon as they first had them.  I'm sure there are plenty of forum members wearing out their F5 keys over these cards.

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 09:38:18 (permalink)
    samuraijack1111
    I Love carbon wrapping things ;) looks great. my FE'S oc the same as yours.

Thanks!  This is my first time wrapping stuff in it.  Didn't want the acrylic on my case to show much, so pretty much looked to the carbon wrapping as a solution, and so far it has worked out pretty well.

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 796
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 10:58:19 (permalink)
    It's never been my personality to care much what the inside of my computer case looks like, especially since it's under my desk the whole time and I would never, ever see anything of it. My eyes are being opened to the possibilities though, and I sort of admire the kind of thinking that goes into making these computers aesthetically pleasing as well as fun to use.

I think your carbon fiber and LED-lit water plate and card look cool, dude! Good job, and good luck on the rest of your build!

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

Mr_Armageddon
    iCX Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/14 16:34:38 (permalink)
    sethleigh
    It's never been my personality to care much what the inside of my computer case looks like, especially since it's under my desk the whole time and I would never, ever see anything of it. My eyes are being opened to the possibilities though, and I sort of admire the kind of thinking that goes into making these computers aesthetically pleasing as well as fun to use.

I think your carbon fiber and LED-lit water plate and card look cool, dude! Good job, and good luck on the rest of your build!

Thanks!  I'm liking how everything is coming together.  It takes a lot of time to for this kind of project, but luckily I only do it once every few years.

eisenb11
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 19:27:16 (permalink)
    Mr_Armageddon

I finally got around to OC'ing my 2x 1080 FE's last night. Didn't take any screenies but from my notes:

Both cards got +225 GPU and +575 MEM stable.

Temp only went up about 2C under between stock (43C) and OC (44-45C).

Unigine Valley results were a score of 4646 @ 111 FPS.

Ran the tests @ 1920 x 1200 with Ultra qual and 8x AA.

I managed to get the MEM up to +625 without crashing, but I think I was riding the edge of going down as the scores got worse. Backed off to +600, but also with worse scores so backed off again to return to +575.

Ran the tests individually on both cards with similar results.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 19:46:28 (permalink)
    eisenb11
    Mr_Armageddon

I finally got around to OC'ing my 2x 1080 FE's last night. Didn't take any screenies but from my notes:

Both cards got +225 GPU and +575 MEM stable.

Temp only went up about 2C under between stock (43C) and OC (44-45C).

Unigine Valley results were a score of 4646 @ 111 FPS.

Ran the tests @ 1920 x 1200 with Ultra qual and 8x AA.

I managed to get the MEM up to +625 without crashing, but I think I was riding the edge of going down as the scores got worse. Backed off to +600, but also with worse scores so backed off again to return to +575.

Ran the tests individually on both cards with similar results.

Yeah, sounds like the ECC was kicking in slowing things down as it corrected memory errors. Very nice temps!

Out of curiosity, what do you get from the Extreme Valley preset?

I ask because that test is 1080P, and my single 980 Ti (just got a Classified recently and OCed it to 1505/8000MHz) gets 109.8 FPS - so I would have thought SLI 1080's would get much higher, even at 1920X1200. Do you have SLI enabled?
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/06/21 19:51:43
    eisenb11
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 20:06:30 (permalink)
    [deleted... ran wrong test]
    post edited by eisenb11 - 2016/06/21 20:27:08
    eisenb11
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 20:33:47 (permalink)
    arestavo

Yeah, sounds like the ECC was kicking in slowing things down as it corrected memory errors. Very nice temps!

Out of curiosity, what do you get from the Extreme Valley preset?

I ask because that test is 1080P, and my single 980 Ti (just got a Classified recently and OCed it to 1505/8000MHz) gets 109.8 FPS - so I would have thought SLI 1080's would get much higher, even at 1920X1200. Do you have SLI enabled?

Just realized I ran the wrong test, I ran the Extreme, but I think you meant the Extreme HD since you said 1080P. New results below:

Score: 4969 @ 118.8 FPS.

SLI is not enabled. You can see that the second card is in a low power state (underclocked) in the pic.

EDIT

And here's one with SLI enabled.

Score: 6292 @ 150.4 FPS.

post edited by eisenb11 - 2016/06/21 20:48:15
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 21:00:30 (permalink)
    I thought it wasn't - Looking good!
    eisenb11
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 21:27:07 (permalink)
    arestavo

Ran the SLI test using a standard SLI connector. Not sure how much of a difference the HB connector will make. I'm waiting on EK to release theirs.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My custom Liquid "Hydro Copper" (1080 SC + EK Water Block), Initial OC Benchmarks & Te 2016/06/21 21:59:25 (permalink)
    eisenb11
    arestavo

Ran the SLI test using a standard SLI connector. Not sure how much of a difference the HB connector will make. I'm waiting on EK to release theirs.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/22.html 

Looks to be not all that great from this review.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile