My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol

Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2015/02/26 08:13:58 (permalink)
So not too long ago I just recently bought the Canik TP9 Pistol.  I was in the market for a new pistol for quite a while and I decided to get this. Generally when it comes to pistols I tend to try to find one that is reasonable priced, has great ergonomics, high capacity magazine and most of all reliable. By far I have to say this is one hell of a pistol guaranteed. If you look closely this pistol is pretty much similar to the Walther P99 pistol. This pistol is manufactured in Turkey by Canik and it is actual a service combat pistol for the Turkish military. That in itself right there should hint that this gun has something going for it.

Specifications: Canik55 TP-9
Manufactured in Turkey by Canik
Chambered in 9mm
18+1 magazine
4” Chrome-Lined Cold Forged Barrel
7.25" Overall Length
Weighs 1.65 lbs.
Black Polymer Frame
Decocking Lever
Double action /Single action trigger
Double action trigger pull- 9 pounds
Single action trigger pull- 5 pounds
Ambidextrous Magazine Catch
Ambidextrous Top-slide-Mounted Decocker for Super-safe Carry
Picatinny Rail in Mil. Std.
All Components are Chrome Plated
NATO round longevity specification is 50,000 rounds. When using +P rounds longevity is 30,000 rounds.
MSRP: $320-$350ish + $40 FLL holder Fee

Now as you can see in the picture this is what comes in your little suit case. The holster that is showin  is one of those Black Hawk Serpa holster. Continuing on the holster comes with two belt clips which one clips on and the other is a loop. Next you get an extra magazine, clip for your magazines, three front sights(more on that later) and extra back strap.(cleaning brush, gun lock, and manual not in picture but does come with it).

Now above are two side shots of the gun itself. I just want to say that I put grip tape on. So if you want to see what the gun looks like without grip tap click here.

Here is another shot just showing the fantastic ergonomics of the pistol. If you have small hands this pistol will be too big for you. I kind of have small butter  fingers but I have wide palms so its not that bad.  And if this pistol is kind of small you can always change the back strap out for the larger one.

Now as you can see here is the rear sights. The stock rear sights are not that bad. They are very open but I just did not like how they were made out of polymer. The stock sights for the gun both rear and front are not night sights. But as you can see in the picture above I did change out the stock rear sights and put in my own custom metal sights. The sights that I have on now are Trijicon tritium night sights . NOW KEEP IN MIND if you want to customize anything with this pistol you're going to have to use accessories from the Walther P99. The rear sights that come with it glows orange while the front glows green. I don't have the front Trijicon night sight on because I have a fiber optic sight which more on that later. I just want to say that the Trijicon front night sights are too high for my cup of tea. One last thing that is really cool about the TP9 rear sights are is that they are adjustable for windage.  RARLEY  a feature like this is on a $320ish pistol let alone a lot of $500 pistols.

Here is a shot of the front fiber optics. I am using HiViz Walther P99 front sights. These are not night sights. Amazingly these front sights illuminate REALLY well in broad daylight. I have both the reds and the green ones. The red front sights are low sights and the greens are high sights. By the way I just want to mention that the TP9 comes with three stock front changeable polymer front sights of low, medium, and high sights. Again the stock sights are not bad at all. I just tend to like having all my guns have a fiber optic sight so I can align and distinguish my targets a lot faster.

Trijicon night sights glowing orange. Even though the front HiViz sights are not night sights, they do glow just a bit with a enough ambient light around as you can see.

As I mentioned above I tend to like having pistols that have a high capacity magazine. As you see here it's a 18+1 round mag. Just want to say that the gun will fire without the magazine in.

Magazine are made from Mec-Gar.  I am sure that shooters will agree with me that Mec-Gar makes some good quality mags. If you plan to buy any spare mags like I did so now I have a total of 3, a mag will run you for $21. That's a hell of deal especially compared to other mags like Glocks which cost $40.

The very special feature for this gun is the trigger decocker which is located on top in front of the rear sights. As you can see from the pic above there is a red indicator. That indicator indicates that the gun is cocked and in single action mode. Before anyone ask NO that is not a indicator telling there is a round in the chamber.

If you look closely you can see that the trigger is further back in single action mode with its 5 pound trigger pull. To give you guys a good idea the trigger pull is basically similar to the Glocks trigger pull in single action mode but without the stupid trigger safety. The gun does not have a manual safety either. Your safety is your finger of course and using the decocker to put in double action mode especially if you plan on carrying with a round in the chamber.

Just some pictures of what the gun looks like disassembled.

Right here is a target shot(s) that I took from 15 yards away. The gun does shoot a bit high. But it can also be from my bad accuracy LOL. To give you a general idea how big that square target is, go look at your head in the mirror.

For that target I was using ZQI 124grain ammo. Important thing to note is that the TP9 does not like to use any rounds under 100 grain.  I was using 85 grain DRT rounds, and it caused the gun to double feed.  The light grain round causes the slide to rack faster compared to lets say from a 115 grain bullet. I have read with people claiming in order to fix that is to buy a lighter recoil spring. But the TP9 sure does love 147 grain ammo. The recoil for the gun is fantastic IMO. It could be also because its a 9mm and a full size handgun. But to minimize recoil even more I tend to like to use bullet grains from 115-135 grain ammo. 147 grain ammo causes the slide to rack with more force because of the heavier grain and the lighter grains like the 85 DRT causes the slide to rack too fast. By the way my personal favorite home defense ammo for 9mm is Hornady's critical duty 135 grain ammo.

This did not come with the gun but here is my conceal carry holster that I purchased. I am using a De Santis in waist holster.  

So thats a quick nice review of the Canik TP9. I hope you guys liked it and if you have any other questions about the it please feel free to ask. Next time I will take some more pics of target shots of different brand ammo to give you guys a better idea of how it shoots. O yeah one last thing is if your interested Canik has made a new version of the TP9 SA but the main difference with this gun is its single action mode hence(SA). But if your looking to get a new pistol you cant go wrong with this gun. I say HURRY UP and get the gun while prices are still low. I can promise you that this gun is going to go up in popularity and once that happens prices goes up. So go buy it now!

24 Replies Related Threads

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/26 10:32:43 (permalink)
    Well written review Haz. Looks like a nice weapon, I like the grip. Good placement of grip tape. I also like the ambidextrous features for lefties like myself.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/26 10:37:24 (permalink)
    Is it legal in the US?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

BulletWound
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 198
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/26 12:01:08 (permalink)
    Nice looking pistol, how would you compare this to other manufactures like Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD?
    post edited by decepti0n - 2015/02/26 12:02:56

i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 450D

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102315
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/26 12:22:12 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Is it legal in the US?

If an import license exists then "yes" it is legal.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/26 16:20:11 (permalink)
    How easy is it to find parts for this pistol.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 04:46:05 (permalink)
    while not a fan of striker fired pistols, that's a nice looking one..

Give me my Smith and Wesson E-Series 1911 any day though.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 09:48:00 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    bcavnaugh
    Is it legal in the US?

Thanks, I was thinking that this gun might be my first.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

zildjian75
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1261
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 10:05:07 (permalink)
    Nice pista!!!  I like it!!

Here's some good info for those that have not heard yet!!!  Time to circle the wagons!!

http://www.washingtonexam...-rifle/article/2560750

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 15:35:19 (permalink)
      Very nice!  Looks like a clone of the Walther.  Very cool looking firearm.
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 23:32:34 (permalink)
    decepti0n
    Nice looking pistol, how would you compare this to other manufactures like Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD?

I would compare this gun mostly to the Walther's Glocks, and Springfield. Now for the reason in comparison with the Walther is because this gun obviously looks like the the P99. Now with Glock you can compare it with their triggers but without the safety trigger like Glocks have. With Springfield XD you can compare it too based on how much Canik gives you with your pistol. I thought Springfield was very generous with how much items they give you but at the moment I see nothing beating the TP9 with value and how much items you get.

transdogmifier
    while not a fan of striker fired pistols, that's a nice looking one..

Give me my Smith and Wesson E-Series 1911 any day though.

I prefer to have a 1911 any day over any other pistol. I have been in love with 1911s for idk how long. I have yet to buy one still. I plan on getting either a Sig or a Kimber 1911 with it all chromed out like a mirror on the wall, and with a real polished wooden handle. I really want it to look like Hitman's Bawlers.

bcavnaugh
    rjohnson11
    bcavnaugh
    Is it legal in the US?

Thanks, I was thinking that this gun might be my first.

I highly encourage you to make it your first gun!! You wont regret it I promise. Unless you mess it up and not take the proper care with it. 

zildjian75
    Nice pista!!!  I like it!!

Here's some good info for those that have not heard yet!!!  Time to circle the wagons!!

http://www.washingtonexam...-rifle/article/2560750

Yeah I saw that. Thanks for posting it as well. We need to let as many gun owners know. Its crazy brotha that green rounds were going for 25 cents each but now they tripled at some stores.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/27 23:54:01 (permalink)

Just another picture with what the TP9 looks like with a NcStar Tactical green laser sight/flashlight on the rail.  If you guys notice the ejector is silver. I failed to mention that I used a blueing pen on it so thats why it looks oxidized now blackish now in my review pics. This was also before I put the grip tape on it as well.

Then here is a size comparison with how big the TP9 is with my friends Tri-Star T-100. His Tri-Star is basically identical to the Canik Shark. Its just the Shark is compensated. Also both guns are a similar "mock up" from the CZ-75 if you catch my drift?

jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 00:49:49 (permalink)
    nice man
    I got the new spring field xds 45 still haven't shot it yet it did come with quiet a few things going to range soon

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 01:12:54 (permalink)
    jeffro66
    nice man
    I got the new spring field xds 45 still haven't shot it yet it did come with quiet a few things going to range soon

Nice! I shot the spring field XD 40 subcompact. That little son of a gun has a crap ton of recoil. Well obviously because its a .40 in a sub frame.

JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 01:29:31 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    jeffro66
    nice man

Nice! I shot the spring field XD 40 subcompact. That little son of a gun has a crap ton of recoil. Well obviously because its a .40 in a sub frame.

Really? I felt as if the XD40 (Regular size) had minimal recoil, How does it compare with the subcompact?

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 02:13:19 (permalink)
    RushXTC
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    jeffro66
    nice man

Really? I felt as if the XD40 (Regular size) had minimal recoil, How does it compare with the subcompact?

The regular has more weight to it so therefore absorbs most the recoil. It could also be that the sub grips were too small for my hands so I felt as if I did not have a secure grip. Lets not forget  to factor in what grain of ammo is in use. I was using HPR 200grain .40 ammo. I hate the stupid safety's that it has. Such an annoyance. I dont mind the handle grip safety because I am use to that with 1911s but all the other junk they add.  You can say that gun is "Californian friendly". Same goes for the Ruger LC9. Fast sight acquisition was terrible for me on the XD 40 sub. Then again with subcompact guns I generally dont like the small sight radius they offer. I probably would not mind the regular since its longer. I prefer to use full size handguns like the TP9 and compact(not sub) like the Glock 19. I dont mind big XL full size competition guns too.
    post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2015/02/28 02:15:35

jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 06:24:58 (permalink)

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 10:54:06 (permalink)
    nikkocortez
      Very nice!  Looks like a clone of the Walther.  Very cool looking firearm.

I was actually thinking HK VP9 without night sights.

jeffro66
    this is like one I got 4 inch barrell
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/ryan-finn/gun-review-springfield-armory-xds-45-acp/

I like the grip saftey, but that god awful blocking on the grip. Love the gun but not without a rubber wrap. I am anxiously awaiting the mod 2 45 in bitone. That will be the first XD I personally own. Aside from the silly grip zone logo, that pistol is nice. Ranks right up there with my MP45c
    post edited by Bruno747 - 2015/02/28 10:56:27

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    BulletWound
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 198
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 11:05:21 (permalink)
    I prefer the standard size Glock 17 and the compact 19, not a big fan of the subcompacts like the G26. My hands are medium size and my pinky is always hanging off the end of the grip, the only way to compensate for that is to have an extended mag.
    post edited by decepti0n - 2015/02/28 11:06:51

i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 450D

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 11:25:34 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

Then here is a size comparison with how big the TP9 is with my friends Tri-Star T-100. His Tri-Star is basically identical to the Canik Shark. Its just the Shark is compensated. Also both guns are a similar "mock up" from the CZ-75 if you catch my drift?

I love the CZ-75, especially as SA version. Looks like a nice find you have there, congratulations!

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 12:02:15 (permalink)
    rlb9682
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

I love the CZ-75, especially as SA version. Looks like a nice find you have there, congratulations!

If you like the CZ-75 check out this bad boy CZ P-09. Freaking thing is huge!! Its like the size of a competition gun. But has fantastic sight radius. By the way that does not have the stock barrel because its threaded obviously.

post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2015/02/28 12:03:27

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/02/28 14:13:32 (permalink)
    Nice! The P-07 is a little more practical for me, but I love CZs :) 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/03/01 08:05:16 (permalink)
    Never understood lazers on a pistol, let alone a gun...

.357 for me Alex! 
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/03/01 13:41:37 (permalink)
    knightsilver

.357 for me Alex! 

Your statement confused me, Perhaps you meant "Never understood lasers on a gun, let alone a pistol" ??

I don't know, Either way, If they are dialed in like they're supposed to, It helps when you need to fire quick shots instead of having to use the sights. It gives you a sense as to where you're pointing at.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My Review of the Canik TP9 Pistol 2015/03/02 00:50:36 (permalink)
    knightsilver

.357 for me Alex! 

Its to help with target acquisition. Its much faster to see a glowing dot than aligning your eyes up with your sights. Especially in stressful situations. But as I mentioned earlier in the thread I like to have fiber optics to help me out with target acquisition too than just having another dot in the nose sights. Another thing to think about is that a laser can be another force to deter the opposing target. That person may think twice with what they are doing when they see a red or green dot floating on their chest. You can also use the laser to point it in their eyes LOL.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile