EVGA

My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS.

Author
Abcdude
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/10/12 20:16:36 (permalink)
I don't know what to do, i'm overly depressed that I slapped $340 down for a GPU that won't run Minecraft higher than 50fps for me, and I don't even know why.

So I built my PC half a week ago, and after trying game after game, I always get lower FPS than I should be and some really, really bad micro stutter. BL2, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Saints Row 4, I mean even Minecraft can't get me a constant 60fps. There's this weird stuttering and frame dropping that's just driving me insane.

Now, I want to say that I am indeed running an AMD FX 8350, and please, I can beg, PLEASE don't tell me I should have bought an intel. Even with a CPU like this, I shouldn't be getting so much stuttering in a 2 year old game.

Please help me out evga forums, i'm tearing my hair out just trying to figure out what's wrong.

Full specs:
-AMD FX-8350 4.0GHZ 8-core
-Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+
-G.Skill ARES 8GB
-Toshiba 3TB HDD 7200RPM
-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX
-Rosewill Galaxy-01 ATX Mid Tower
-Corsair 600W ATX12V
-Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1

29 Replies Related Threads

CodeMatias
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/10/12 23:18:13 (permalink)
    Are you sure it's the GPU? Could just be a poor install job on the CPU cooling solution. Try running Handbrake for a few minutes on any old video file you have and check the CPU temperature and speed. If the temps hit 80+, it might just be the CPU throttling.

In any case, run something and record both CPU and GPU data, if you see temperature spikes or frequency drops that could be an issue

GTX970 SC ACX
    i7 2600 @ 4GHz
    16GB DDR3
    Samsung 830 256GB
    3x3TB+2x2TB+2x1TB
    Slider6996
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 669
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/10/13 02:12:44 (permalink)
    Well i know this wont be much help but i myself had a weird issue like this last year and never ever could figure it out. What i ended up doing to eliminate both causes possibly doing it was reinstall windows 8.1 and i also had just bought a new power supply also and once reinstalled windows and installed new PS, stuttering went away. So either something was just wonky on my pc or PS was faulty which it was at that time for me to buy another one as i was having issues with previous one so it was def 1 or the other so if ur PS is a few years old might wanna look into that because ( i could be wrong ) but if PS dont supply enough power or is faulty, it can cause stuttering in games, idr where i read this but ya. 

Dell s2716dg Gsync 144hz Main gaming monitor
    Asus 60 Mhz 2nd Monitor
    Intel i7-7820X OC 4.7 Ghz
    Custom Water loop 
    Evga 1080ti hydro copper 
    GSkill Trident RBG 16gb Ram
    X299 MSI x299 M7 ACK Motherboard
    Sound Blaster Z Soundcard 
    Steel Series Artic 7 Headset
    Razer Chroma Keyboard
    Evga 750 Watt PSU
    Corex71 Full Tower Case 
    Fennicillin
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/10/13 02:25:38 (permalink)
    Update bios?

adehne
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/11/02 22:03:09 (permalink)
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the poor performance? I'm having similar issues with my EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0. My performance in Arma 3 and Company of Heroes 2 is not at all what I was expecting. My GPU isn't being even close to fully utilized (~30% utilization) and my FPS is low. My CPU doesn't appear to be bottlenecking because no core is over 80%. Any ideas?
    lordkahless
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/11/03 02:21:03 (permalink)
    I had a similar issue once where I got massive stuttering in everything even at the desktop for several weeks.  After doing some professional googling I got DPC latency checking software and sure enough I had massive latency spikes going on with my CPU.  I was able to use it to zero it down to the Corsair Link software.  I closed out the Link software but had the same issue going on and had to completely uninstall it and reboot and the problem magically went away. 
    Abcdude
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/11/05 20:03:04 (permalink)
    adehne
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the poor performance? I'm having similar issues with my EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0. My performance in Arma 3 and Company of Heroes 2 is not at all what I was expecting. My GPU isn't being even close to fully utilized (~30% utilization) and my FPS is low. My CPU doesn't appear to be bottlenecking because no core is over 80%. Any ideas?

I haven't, I was worried it was because I had an ACX 1.0, but I guess I was wrong.
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/11/06 14:56:20 (permalink)
    For those of you having performance issues, try running MSCONFIG, and under the General tab select "Diagnostic Startup" then restart your computer and see if your performance is any better. This will start up the system with only the necessary processes for Windows to run, so if something is running on the GPU in the background and causing the card to throttle, this will shut it down. If you're still getting poor performance, open the performance monitor in Precision and see if you have GPU activity when the system should be idle. If the GPU is showing any serious load when it should be idle, this could indicate some kind of malware in hiding that's running off the card or cards.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Tannerbro
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/12/13 10:26:13 (permalink)
    On Nvidia website their is almost 30 pages now of complaints, not sure if EVGA can do much for this issue sounds like theirs some serious driver related issues going on. I am in your boat and have worse performance than my EVGA 650 Ti Boost I know they are working on the issue but its been about three months now. I see a ton of things that worked for one guy and not the other which is expected and I also see a lot of people blaming the CPU saying its bottlenecking the card which is not the case for most people. Just going to have to wait and see whenever this new driver comes out if it fixes it, if not return it.

Here is the thread

Computer Specs
    Geforce GTX 970
    AMD FX 8350 OC to 4.6
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 8.1
    Driver version 344.75
    mistermister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5804
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2014/12/13 10:32:07 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    For those of you having performance issues, try running MSCONFIG, and under the General tab select "Diagnostic Startup" then restart your computer and see if your performance is any better. This will start up the system with only the necessary processes for Windows to run, so if something is running on the GPU in the background and causing the card to throttle, this will shut it down. If you're still getting poor performance, open the performance monitor in Precision and see if you have GPU activity when the system should be idle. If the GPU is showing any serious load when it should be idle, this could indicate some kind of malware in hiding that's running off the card or cards.

I need to start doing this when I benchmark!

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
    steveinsanity
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/03/02 16:14:50 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW

I just tried this and I am having better performance (60 FPS) in Diagnostic Startup. on normal setup I'm only getting 19 - 30 FPS. How do i find outs whats slowing my GPU down?  

Brayden193
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 19:01:43 (permalink)
    steveinsanity
    EVGATech_JaesonW

I just tried this and I am having better performance (60 FPS) in Diagnostic Startup. on normal setup I'm only getting 19 - 30 FPS. How do i find outs whats slowing my GPU down?  

I'm in the same boat as SteveinSanity... I did the diagnostic startup and my fps are great (60+fps). But when I do a normal startup I get drops between 15-20. I've tried running through as many services and processes as I could find and checked performance after disabling them, but I still can't find whatever is causing the problem.

If anyone knows how to pinpoint the culprit, please let me know! :D
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 19:08:54 (permalink)
    Brayden193
    steveinsanity
    EVGATech_JaesonW

I'm in the same boat as SteveinSanity... I did the diagnostic startup and my fps are great (60+fps). But when I do a normal startup I get drops between 15-20. I've tried running through as many services and processes as I could find and checked performance after disabling them, but I still can't find whatever is causing the problem.

If anyone knows how to pinpoint the culprit, please let me know! :D

well, there are a couple steps you can do. Open your task manager, and take a screenshot showing all the processes that are running. Save the screenshot. Then run DIagonstic startup. then check your processes with that. compare what is NOT running with the diagnostic startup. and go online and research those processes that were running when you run your computer normally. It will take some time, but it will work. Just type the process on google and it should come up.

Or, type msconfig by click the start button, open msconfig and click on the startup tab. You'll see all processes that startup when you start your computer. If you find something you don't need/want, you can turn it off under the startup tab.

Using the task manager is more thorough because it shows everything that is running in the "background" as far as processes, but it takes more time.

One other thing, I don't like mentioning the obvious, but sometimes the obvious tends to be forgotten. Don't forget to do your virus scans.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/04/16 19:19:18

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    tHE_uKER
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 20:03:08 (permalink)
    I say screw it and reinstall Windows.
    Then start paying attention to what you install in case the performance drops again.
    houkom
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1283
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 20:45:59 (permalink)
    This has yielded some pretty awesome preliminary results for me... Unpark your cores... http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

13900k | 64GB Trident Z5 6400mhz | MSI Z790 CARBON WIFI | MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X |  2TB Sabrent Rocket | 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | Corsair AX1200

Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 21:20:43 (permalink)
    AMD and nVidia generally don't like to play nice.

Check bio's updates, chipset, etc and than run DDU (Display Driver Utility) Google it and reinstall 347.88 Driver and see if you're still having issues. Could be anything causing issues but I know that nVidia GPU's on an AMD Board can be quite tricky to get to work properly unlike throwing an Intel and nVidia together.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    Brayden193
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/16 22:27:52 (permalink)

well, there are a couple steps you can do. Open your task manager, and take a screenshot showing all the processes that are running. Save the screenshot. Then run DIagonstic startup. then check your processes with that. compare what is NOT running with the diagnostic startup. and go online and research those processes that were running when you run your computer normally. It will take some time, but it will work. Just type the process on google and it should come up.

Or, type msconfig by click the start button, open msconfig and click on the startup tab. You'll see all processes that startup when you start your computer. If you find something you don't need/want, you can turn it off under the startup tab.

Using the task manager is more thorough because it shows everything that is running in the "background" as far as processes, but it takes more time.

One other thing, I don't like mentioning the obvious, but sometimes the obvious tends to be forgotten. Don't forget to do your virus scans.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I ended every running task that wasn't running during the diagnostic startup. The only ones I couldn't end were the windows processes and there some extra windows processes that weren't present during the diagnostic startup. I've also disabled every startup program that wasn't necessary to run my computer. 

It's good to mention the obvious, people forget :D though, I had already thoroughly scanned my computer for malware/adware and found none. I feel like I've exhausted every possible option at this point :( You can see my rig and a full description of my problem at another forum I started: 

Any help is welcomed :D :D :D
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 04:02:42 (permalink)
    Brayden, what games are you trying to run, and what settings are you using for your 970?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 05:11:55 (permalink)
    Squall_Rinoa86

Check bio's updates, chipset, etc and than run DDU (Display Driver Utility) Google it and reinstall 347.88 Driver and see if you're still having issues. Could be anything causing issues but I know that nVidia GPU's on an AMD Board can be quite tricky to get to work properly unlike throwing an Intel and nVidia together.

Been running AMD CPUs since the 8088, and never had this issue. AMD/Nvidia was the best platform for some time, especially during the Super7 and SocketA days, mainly because of the unified driver support of VIA and Nvidia. Been running a 460 on an EVGA 730a board until recently, upgrading to an 8370 with a 980. Runs everything I can throw at it easily. Sometimes small stutters are caused by background processes, as detailed earlier. I commonly see a small FPS drop when Windows is swapping wallpapers, or something starts an automatic update, but it's brief.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 06:22:45 (permalink)
    EVGATech_ErinW
    Squall_Rinoa86

Been running AMD CPUs since the 8088, and never had this issue. AMD/Nvidia was the best platform for some time, especially during the Super7 and SocketA days, mainly because of the unified driver support of VIA and Nvidia. Been running a 460 on an EVGA 730a board until recently, upgrading to an 8370 with a 980. Runs everything I can throw at it easily. Sometimes small stutters are caused by background processes, as detailed earlier. I commonly see a small FPS drop when Windows is swapping wallpapers, or something starts an automatic update, but it's brief.

So, then the OP can eliminate the fact he is using AMD, and it has to be somewhere else within the system. Correct?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 06:52:34 (permalink)
    Pretty much. Small stutters happen in just about every system that I've seen. Sometimes, it can be a chipset driver, failing hard drive, the drive or partition that holds the paging file gets full, RAM errors, bad SLI bridge... sometimes even the system running too fast for an older game. If the card is still running slow after eliminating these issues, then we can arrange for an RMA for Brayden193.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 07:13:24 (permalink)
    EVGATech_ErinW
    Pretty much. Small stutters happen in just about every system that I've seen. Sometimes, it can be a chipset driver, failing hard drive, the drive or partition that holds the paging file gets full, RAM errors, bad SLI bridge... sometimes even the system running too fast for an older game. If the card is still running slow after eliminating these issues, then we can arrange for an RMA for Brayden193.

I have to tell you that i don't experience any stuttering at all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, isnt it correct that the "recommended" ram requirements for the 970 is 12gb of ram? i read an article on that recently and that is what it posted.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/04/17 07:34:20

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 10:52:55 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    EVGATech_ErinW

Correct me if I'm wrong, isnt it correct that the "recommended" ram requirements for the 970 is 12gb of ram? i read an article on that recently and that is what it posted.

I'd like to read that aricle if you have a link.  I don't believe that for a second...

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 12:37:23 (permalink)
    bdary
    stalinx20
    EVGATech_ErinW

I'd like to read that aricle if you have a link.  I don't believe that for a second...

I can't find it right now due to my work comp limiting what i can search. But let's do a small scenario where the 970 requires a minimum of 4. Lets just say that. So, you have computer that has 8gbs of ram. if your 970 pulls a certain amount of memory to function correctly, and then your program pulls the rest, not to mention the operating system, what memory do you have left to ensure that the performance is running sufficiently? Take SOM for example, it recommends 8...so where's the memory availabilty at?

Edit : Let's make it even more intersting.... Now you're going SLI with 2 970s, now you have to double that memory to 8. where's yoyour extra memory at? Right now I got nothing to back this up. this is just a speculation, but to assume i'm right with this scenario that the 970 reqiures a minimum of 4gbs of ram... you get what im saying.

Edit 2 : i just realized that i put "i read". i meant to put "i thought i read". my bad. ya, i thought i read something. i'll wait till i get home. i could have been completely wrong and read something else. But to see so many people have problems with this with this stuttering, i'm willing to believe there is something within their computer blocking something. Or, they are pushing their card too hard. Ok, with that being said, again, most people have tried lowering settings, and still have the stutter. now what? you see what i'm saying? What else is there that is blocking them from making the 970s function normally?  (i, myself,have zero problems with the 970s and have even decided to buy a 3rd one because of how outstanding they are.)

Apologies if I'm sounding like a troll or anything to that matter...I'm just trying to figure this out just as much as everyone else is. That being : Why?

Finally got home and researched, and apparently I was way off. It doesn't say anything about a minimum requirement of ram for the 970. I must have read something different. So I was wrong. my apologies.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/04/17 14:24:35

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Brayden193
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 16:56:13 (permalink)
    @houkom checking for parked cores was one of the first things I checked. They're all in use.

@stalinx20 I've tried a few games... Dark Souls 2, Skryim, Bioshock, Shadow of Mordor, Minecraft, Trine, Rising World... Max settings on all of those games with at least 60fps was never a problem before about a week and a half ago. My 970 is just at the stock settings (1215 on the core clock and 3506 on the memory clock). I didn't bother overclocking, because my system was yielding amazing results at stock settings. I did overclock a little bit about a month ago just to see what my system could do, but nothing extensive.

Well, I'm gonna try the DDU and do a fresh install of the drivers again and make sure muh bios is up to date. I could do a fresh install of the OS in case Windows 8 crapped on me, but I'd rather not, because it takes a few hours to get everything set up and updated again...

Here's my rig:
    CPU: i7-4790k
    GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    RAM: 2x8GB G. Skill Trident X series (1866)
    SDD: 1TB Mushkin
    PSU: FirePower ZT Series 750W 
    Monitor: 1920x1080

Again, everything is just at stock settings right now, which was more than enough for max settings on Shadow of Mordor to get about an average of 70fps on the benchmark. Now the benchmark gives me average of 32fps :(
    Brayden193
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/17 18:47:21 (permalink)
    Good news! So, after I tried all of your suggestions and a few others I found online, it still didn't work. I got kinda pissed that my expensive investment was taking a performance dump on my face, so I decided to just do a system restore to a date 2 weeks ago, as the other restores I did were only 1 to 1 and half weeks ago. Now, everything is running great! Well, except for Trine. Trine only gets under 20fps, so I'll have to optimize settings for that.

But, Dark Souls 2, Bioshock, Minecraft, and Shadow of Mordor are back to above 60fps on max settings. I got an average of 74fps in SoM benchmark! Minecraft gave me a steady 230fps and would sometimes reach 450fps for a few seconds. 

I assume I downloaded some bad software or something of the like and the restore peaced it out. Now, I'll just have to be extra cautious about what I download and what not. 

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help! If something goes amiss again, I'll prolly whine about it here.... :D
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/18 06:11:59 (permalink)
    That's actually a relief. lol. we're glad to hear you finally got your investment taken care of and now everything is good and well. I'm not saying you are, but due be careful on where you go on the internet. If you have to download something but not sure what it is. research it on google, he's your friend :)

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/18 06:58:58 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    bdary
    stalinx20
    EVGATech_ErinW

I can't find it right now due to my work comp limiting what i can search. But let's do a small scenario where the 970 requires a minimum of 4. Lets just say that. So, you have computer that has 8gbs of ram. if your 970 pulls a certain amount of memory to function correctly, and then your program pulls the rest, not to mention the operating system, what memory do you have left to ensure that the performance is running sufficiently? Take SOM for example, it recommends 8...so where's the memory availabilty at?

Edit : Let's make it even more intersting.... Now you're going SLI with 2 970s, now you have to double that memory to 8. where's yoyour extra memory at? Right now I got nothing to back this up. this is just a speculation, but to assume i'm right with this scenario that the 970 reqiures a minimum of 4gbs of ram... you get what im saying.

Edit 2 : i just realized that i put "i read". i meant to put "i thought i read". my bad. ya, i thought i read something. i'll wait till i get home. i could have been completely wrong and read something else. But to see so many people have problems with this with this stuttering, i'm willing to believe there is something within their computer blocking something. Or, they are pushing their card too hard. Ok, with that being said, again, most people have tried lowering settings, and still have the stutter. now what? you see what i'm saying? What else is there that is blocking them from making the 970s function normally?  (i, myself,have zero problems with the 970s and have even decided to buy a 3rd one because of how outstanding they are.)

Apologies if I'm sounding like a troll or anything to that matter...I'm just trying to figure this out just as much as everyone else is. That being : Why?

Finally got home and researched, and apparently I was way off. It doesn't say anything about a minimum requirement of ram for the 970. I must have read something different. So I was wrong. my apologies.

No problem...If you actually had read something like that, I wanted to see myself how they came to that conclusion...

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/18 07:39:07 (permalink)
    Now all you have to do is benchmark the crap out of the 970s and see how they really since you fixed your problem. you're going to be amazed. a great game to benchmark those cards is Ryse son of rome. and SOM, of course.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Brayden193
    Re: My GTX 970 Is stuttering and getting low FPS. 2015/04/18 22:50:16 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    Now all you have to do is benchmark the crap out of the 970s and see how they really since you fixed your problem. you're going to be amazed. a great game to benchmark those cards is Ryse son of rome. and SOM, of course.

Ha! That'll give me an excuse to play Ryse. I bought it a few months ago, but I've been wrapped up in Dark Souls 2, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and the Bioshock Trilogy. Here come duh benchmarks!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile