EVGA

Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think)

Author
sunzzofman
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/30 21:47:02 (permalink)
hi everyone, hope you dont mind me asking but im having some problems with my headset microphone and my GPU. So im using the Audio Technica bphs1 headset going into a Scarlett Focusrite Solo USB audio interface. So basically when my GPU is on high load, like im playing a game or something, i can hear this loud buzzing through the microphone (i have monitoring on for the mic, even with monitoring off its still in my vocal recordings). The noise gets better if i move my PC further away or turn away, Iv tried disabling and unplugging all usb devices as well as cd drive, hard drives etc, different wall plug sockets etc you name it, and i cant get it stop! it gets worse if i move closer to the graphics card. Id rather not have to move my PC across the room lol so is there anything i can do to stop this kind of interference?

Heres a small audio clip, you can play it on the website you dont have to download anything etc, also half way through i moved a bit closer facing my PC in the GPUs direction. And the PC is as far away as i can get it. I'm using the Coolermaster haf 912 case, so could the big grill on the top be a good opening for interference or something? Some kind of way i can shield the graphics card better? or a new case? thanks for reading i really appreciate it :)

P.S also using a gsync monitor if that matters?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dXr9zXrjKz
post edited by sunzzofman - 2016/04/30 21:51:34

Windows 10 64 bit
I7 4700K OC'ed to 4.4 GHZ
EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB
2 X 8GB 1600 mhz corsair vengence
120 GB SSD for OS
500 GB SATA for games
External hardrive that i record to 3 TB usb 3.0
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Motherboard
Acer XB270H Gsync monitor 1920 x 1080 144 hz
EVGA superNOVA G2 1300W GOLD
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler

9 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 22:12:31 (permalink)
    Electromagnetic Interference can be an issue. It's an unavoidable evil.

You will want to consider getting a condenser microphone which is less likely to interact with EMI and a microphone cord with better shielding. Get a microphone cord with a twisted pair in the middle with shielding around it. "twisted pair" is important.

Also, of course, make sure that your computer is plugged into a grounded outlet, make sure that you are using a computer case which fully encloses the computer with metal (no open bench or plexi window if you want less electrical noise), make sure that the motherboard tray is metal, make sure that the IO shielding at the back of the case is installed, make sure you don't have any empty PCI slots in the back which are uncovered, make sure that the video card is firmly plugged into the motherboard and supplemental power supply wires are firmly plugged into the video card, and make sure that you are using a quality power supply which isn't more than a few years old.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/04/30 22:15:16
    sunzzofman
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 22:27:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Electromagnetic Interference can be an issue. It's an unavoidable evil.

You will want to consider getting a condenser microphone which is less likely to interact with EMI and a microphone cord with better shielding. Get a microphone cord with a twisted pair in the middle with shielding around it. "twisted pair" is important.

Also, of course, make sure that your computer is plugged into a grounded outlet, make sure that you are using a computer case which fully encloses the computer with metal (no open bench or plexi window if you want less electrical noise), make sure that the motherboard tray is metal, make sure that the IO shielding at the back of the case is installed, make sure you don't have any empty PCI slots in the back which are uncovered, make sure that the video card is firmly plugged into the motherboard and supplemental power supply wires are firmly plugged into the video card, and make sure that you are using a quality power supply which isn't more than a few years old.

Wow amazing reply thank you! :) I can't do anything about the mic cable sadly as it's unique to the headset. Think it's time for a new case then that's more enclosed as the huge grill at the top isn't doing me any favours also I have all the pci slots at the back uncovered as well. Now to find a case lol

Windows 10 64 bit
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB
    120 GB SSD for OS
    500 GB SATA for games
    Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 22:30:58 (permalink)
    Start by covering the PCI slots in the back. See if that helps.

How old is your power supply and which brand and model is it?

Between your computer and the USB sound card, you should have no problem because that is digital. The electromagnetic interference is being picked up between the USB sound card and microphone.
    sunzzofman
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 22:37:41 (permalink)
    Il do that ASAP and see what happens. I have my psu in my signature it's an evga one only a couple years old at most. I feel like the mic itself picks up the gpu noise. Even from a distance!

Windows 10 64 bit
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB
    120 GB SSD for OS
    500 GB SATA for games
    Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 22:38:32 (permalink)
    In addition to the above, I have heard of similar noise being generated/picked up over the PCIe bus being caused by the PCI Express Link Speed setting in the BIOS..In the M.I.T. section of your BIOS it is the PCIe Slot Configuration in the Miscellaneous Settings..You can try locking that in to Gen3 or Gen2 instead of the default Auto setting and make sure all Spread Spectrum settings are enabled..That's all I have.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/04/30 23:23:07 (permalink)
    Sorry, I can't see your signature because I am using my phone and EVGA hasn't added that ability to phone users.

I assumed that the source of the interference must originate outside of the computer since moving the microphone seems to have a direct affect on the sound. But, I agree that all possibilities should be considered as long as they are cheap.
    sunzzofman
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/05/01 17:42:24 (permalink)
    bob16314
    In addition to the above, I have heard of similar noise being generated/picked up over the PCIe bus being caused by the PCI Express Link Speed setting in the BIOS..In the M.I.T. section of your BIOS it is the PCIe Slot Configuration in the Miscellaneous Settings..You can try locking that in to Gen3 or Gen2 instead of the default Auto setting and make sure all Spread Spectrum settings are enabled..That's all I have.

sadly that didnt help but that you anyways :)

ty_ger07
    Sorry, I can't see your signature because I am using my phone and EVGA hasn't added that ability to phone users.

I assumed that the source of the interference must originate outside of the computer since moving the microphone seems to have a direct affect on the sound. But, I agree that all possibilities should be considered as long as they are cheap.

o sorry i didnt realize it doesnt show on your phone, my psu is the EVGA superNOVA G2 1300W GOLD. I put all them PCI E plates back on but sadly it hasnt helped :( guessing the only thing i could do is try a new case and hope that works, or just get on with it and try to bare it :P

Windows 10 64 bit
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB
    120 GB SSD for OS
    500 GB SATA for games
    Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/05/01 18:01:25 (permalink)
    I think changing the microphone and microphone cord will have the biggest affect. I don't think that changing the computer case will have much of an effect.

Your situation demands a condenser microphone and twisted-pair shielded cord (preferably each speaker and microphone in different twisted and shielded pairs). I don't think any other solution will have as large of a mitigating effect.

You could test by buying a desktop stationary mic stand with a condenser microphone and twisted-pair shielded cord. That way you don't have to buy another expensive headset just for the sake of testing.

Or you could buy a USB microphone (preferably condenser microphone) and that way at least test with a digital connection instead of the long analog connection. With digital (USB) the cord won't need to be as high quality nor as expensive. This approach of course assumes that the digital to analog converter is in the microphone base. If the digital to analog converter is in the USB plug instead, that would be no good for the purpose of this test since the cord would then of course still be analog.

There is a $23 USB condenser mic on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01142EPO4/
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/05/01 18:26:41
    sunzzofman
    Re: Microphone picks up my GTX 780 (i think) 2016/05/01 18:47:00 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I think changing the microphone and microphone cord will have the biggest affect. I don't think that changing the computer case will have much of an effect.

Your situation demands a condenser microphone and twisted-pair shielded cord (preferably each speaker and microphone in different twisted and shielded pairs). I don't think any other solution will have as large of a mitigating effect.

You could test by buying a desktop stationary mic stand with a condenser microphone and twisted-pair shielded cord. That way you don't have to buy another expensive headset just for the sake of testing.

Or you could buy a USB microphone (preferably condenser microphone) and that way at least test with a digital connection instead of the long analog connection. With digital (USB) the cord won't need to be as high quality nor as expensive. This approach of course assumes that the digital to analog converter is in the microphone base. If the digital to analog converter is in the USB plug instead, that would be no good for the purpose of this test since the cord would then of course still be analog.

There is a $23 USB condenser mic on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01142EPO4/

well i do also have a rode procaster that is XLR and its no where near as bad when it comes to interference, but the broadcast headset and mic are so comfortable and the mic is really good, except for that buzzing sound :(

Windows 10 64 bit
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB
    120 GB SSD for OS
    500 GB SATA for games
    Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
    Jump to: