EVGA

Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" promised

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2014/09/11 02:04:38 (permalink)

Mechwarrior Online scored a very respectable score of 83 in our October 2013 review, but it obviously hasn't been entirely sunshine and lollipops since then. Fans have complained loud and long about missing features, delays and a glacial pace of development that has left major aspects of the game in an incomplete state. But Piranha Games President Russ Bullock recently announced that publisher Infinite Games is no longer involved with the project, which he said has already increased the pace of the game's development.

"It's with great excitement that I share with you that Piranha Games Inc. has reached a deal with Infinite Game Publishing for the return of all MWO publishing rights to PGI as of September 1st 2014," Piranha Games President Russ Bullock announced earlier this week. He said that Infinite Games brought "passion and dedication" to the project over the past three years but added, "It can still be very difficult at times to make the corporate needs and strategies of two companies align."

Source

7 Replies Related Threads

ki11joy92
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1164
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/11 23:10:01 (permalink)
    I played MWO during the closed beta and I absolutely LOVED it, stopped playing about 3 months after I got into it though. Recently came back, and it seems like the community isn't at all pleased with the company. I hope this makes it's comeback because it honestly is a really fun game, although it does seem like a pay2win game.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/17 15:13:06 (permalink)
    Im still sad there was no single player or even multiplayer campaign for it.  All the old Battletech universe games had it, and there was SOOO much history and intrigue in that universe, it seems like such a shame that it is missing.
    Malkiv
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/22 02:13:19 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Im still sad there was no single player or even multiplayer campaign for it.  All the old Battletech universe games had it, and there was SOOO much history and intrigue in that universe, it seems like such a shame that it is missing.

I would honestly not play the single-player campaign, if MWO had one. I just have too much fun with multiplayer games, that going solo on a game feels lonely regardless of how great voice acting may be, or how vibrant the world may be. However, a campaign - or a series of standalone drop missions - tailored specifically for multiplayer would be a lot of fun. I love pvp aspects in games, but pve can be a ton of fun in these types of games. Kind of like how MMO's have the arenas and/or instanced maps for PVP, and then instanced maps of varying size and difficulty for pve.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/22 13:40:38 (permalink)
    I know many do not play single at all anymore, does not change the fact that6 I miss games that had more good solo content.
    Were you a Mechwarrior/Battletech fan previously?  The amount of story written into it, both during missions as well as either the I think it was called "Situation" tab or something that gave other major things happening at the time, as well as where your mission played into the bigger overarching story, or in the Merc's games the the Journal, if you had the patients to read the story got soooo much more depth, and Battletech has so much history table top games, old video games dozens or hundreds of books.  I'm just a long term fan of the universe as a whole and loved the narrative in the game, and yes I played TONS of multiplayer before as well, but for myself, it feels like it is missing something with multiplayer only.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/22 13:42:54 (permalink)
    Promises are empty air. Here is a novel idea, they actually do something instead of talking about it. Ultimately, there are those that talk, then there are those that do. Talking about it is a product of marketing, while actually doing something is a product of development. Often times more focus is put on marketing than actual development.
    Malkiv
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/22 19:50:59 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    I know many do not play single at all anymore, does not change the fact that6 I miss games that had more good solo content.
    Were you a Mechwarrior/Battletech fan previously?  The amount of story written into it, both during missions as well as either the I think it was called "Situation" tab or something that gave other major things happening at the time, as well as where your mission played into the bigger overarching story, or in the Merc's games the the Journal, if you had the patients to read the story got soooo much more depth, and Battletech has so much history table top games, old video games dozens or hundreds of books.  I'm just a long term fan of the universe as a whole and loved the narrative in the game, and yes I played TONS of multiplayer before as well, but for myself, it feels like it is missing something with multiplayer only.

Oh, I didn't mean there shouldn't be SP, just that I wouldn't personally play an SP campaign. However, one of my favourite games of all-time is MechWarrior 3. I probably invested close to 200 hours or more when it was a current release. I have no idea how many times I played the SP campaign. I just never got into the lore itself. The PC games have all been really awesome, and the only lore I know is from MW3 and MW4/Clans. But you're right, MWO just feels kind of incomplete without any ties to the universe other than piloting Mechs. At the very least, there should be a MP campaign, even if it only takes 10 hours to complete. At least tell us where we're at, how we got there, or something...Anything.
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Mechwarrior Online rights returned to Piranha Games, "more efficient development" prom 2014/09/24 21:08:56 (permalink)
    Still playing even though I am deployed.  Love it.  I heard this news and then they spew out new mechs and more items and a bunch of free stuff to those who have put in the patience.  I hope they do improve their development though on Community Warfare.  There are plenty in my Unit who are wearing thin from waiting.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile