EVGA

MIcro2 x99 onboard audio

Author
tomeitel
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/28 11:16:14 (permalink)
So i am torn between getting a headset that is USB with built in audio or just getting a really nice headset that plugs into the onboard auido just using the normal Headphone and Mic plugs. 

Is the built in audio ports for the headphone and mic quality? are they what they called powered i guess? or am i going to have to amp up the mic port to the highest setting in windows so people can hear me on skype or in game voice?

Right now i have a Logitech G230 hooked up and the mic is crap i have to have the mic setting in windows amped up to +30db just to be able to hear my self on the skype test call... im not sure if this is just the cheap headset i have or the fact that its not a USB powered headset.

I am considering getting the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO which connects to the standard 3.5mm plugs but if the onboard audio card isnt good enough to power that headset id rather just go with a USB powered setup. I was excited to see the Micro2 had a special featured onboard audio with the special audio shielding or whatever thats supposed to mean.

any ways thanks for anyones insight!

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: MIcro2 x99 onboard audio 2015/08/28 15:24:52 (permalink)
    Hello tom eitel

First off I would like to welcome you to our forums. For a good set of head phones you'll need to ask yourself what is the main reason you'll be using them for. If it is just for gaming and general VOIP then I would suggest a good trusted pair of wired or even wireless UBS headset. With the USB wired/wireless there is very little to worry about since the USB device will do all the work for you. 
    The Sennheiser G4ME ZERO have a impedance of 150ohms and the majority of onboard audio would not be able to power them. You would need either a separate AMP or high end sound card. Onboard audio solutions should be able to handle any headphones that have an impedance of 38ohms with no issues. As for your mic issues, it's likely due to just a lower quality mic. 

tomeitel
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: MIcro2 x99 onboard audio 2015/08/28 17:06:54 (permalink)
    Awesome thank you for the response that's great to know. and yes after reading through several reviews of the g230 headsets the #1 complaint is the weak sauce mic :)
    i may look into some sound card options if i end up going with said headphones. 

I look forward to browsing and using the forums here and there. ive got an EVGA mb as well as an EVGA 980ti both of which are great products.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile